ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Minor to Moderate (2-4?) Snowfall Likely Sat morning (2/17); will be <32F, so expect slick roads

So glad I took mine out of the box. I still refuse to put gas in it, just to drain it out in two months. I bought an $1800.00 workshop ornament; it's going on almost 2 yrs. now. I'm about to chalk it up to one of my worst purchases ever.
I've never drained my snowblower... I add a lil sta-bil at end of season... Then run it for 10-15 minutes in July, and again in Sept... Have never had an issue doing this for over 20 yrs.. (snowblower, tillers, weedwackers, and mowers)

Reactions: wheezer
Wait till the maps come out showing the incredible gradients... for example it went from 12" in Bridgewater to 4" in Bernard's over just 6 miles. No model in the world will ever be able to predict that... it was very similar to a lassie effect snow band.
Nevermind Bernards... In Warren there was 3-4". And 2 miles away in Bridgewater was 10-12".

Reactions: RU848789
Isn't that right around annual average? Did a quick search for New Brunswick and found RU's data going back like a century for a 25 inch annual avg.

May be too low once you factor in the #s backyard effect, though 😁
Close. Long term NB avg is 25.4", but these days I see people posting averages over the last 30 years for many climate related items; NB avg over the last 30 years has been close to 28" (mine has been 29" as I've now been here 30 years, and NYC's is 29.8") as the last 30 years are well above average in snowfall, despite being well above the long term average in temps. It's extraordinarily unusual for NYC to be so low relative to surrounding areas, but much of it is just due to bad luck in where banding has set up for several storms.

Reactions: fsg2
OMG, you should go on the weather boards - it's a full blown conspiracy theory there, lol. I think it's just incompetence for the most part.
I don’t post on americanwx but I do browse it and I’m aware of their thoughts on the matter lol

Reactions: RU848789
Went to a hockey game at Princeton Saturday night and drove through Middlesex county around 3-4 PM. Snow was already gone and most areas were green. That was a short timeframe to get rid of 11" of snow.

Thought it was pretty wild that we have 24.6" of snow so far here in Metuchen and New Brunswick has 21", so we're both amazingly ahead of all of those other cities along 95, which is highly unusual (especially Boston which averages nearly twice as much snow per season), but we've done quite well on almost every storm, so far, especially 2/17, when we got 11.25" from that death band, plus we got 6" on 2/12, so 17.25" just in the last week.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Thought it was pretty wild that we have 24.6" of snow so far here in Metuchen and New Brunswick has 21", so we're both amazingly ahead of all of those other cities along 95, which is highly unusual (especially Boston which averages nearly twice as much snow per season), but we've done quite well on almost every storm, so far, especially 2/17, when we got 11.25" from that death band, plus we got 6" on 2/12, so 17.25" just in the last week.

Any total for a NJ coastal city such as Atlantic City, Ocean City, Asbury Park or Long Branch? Will probably be below NYC total. EDIT- found this, not sure how accurate, says Manasquan has receive 2.0 inches total, which seems generous.

Last edited:
Any total for a NJ coastal city such as Atlantic City, Ocean City, Asbury Park or Long Branch? Will probably be below NYC total. EDIT- found this, not sure how accurate, says Manasquan has receive 2.0 inches total, which seems generous.

NWS has Long Branch at 6.5" for Jan and 7.7" for Feb, for 14.2" total. AC is listed as having 5.7" for Jan and 1.4" for Feb for 7.1" total, so LB is well above CPK and AC is about the same (although other NYC locations have 10-15"). Hard to believe Manasquan has that much less than Long Branch or less even than AC, but it's hard to find data for cities not covered by the NWS. One could look at snowfall maps for each event to guess at it, but not sure how reliable that would be. Also, your link is only for 2/17 snowfall, which was 2.0" for Manasquan. Looking at Jan/Feb. I calculated 5.5" for Manasquan, which sounds a little low to me.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/Climate?wfo=phi

Last edited:

NWS has Long Branch at 6.5" for Jan and 7.7" for Feb, for 14.2" total. AC is listed as having 5.7" for Jan and 1.4" for Feb for 7.1" total, so LB is well above CPK and AC is about the same (although other NYC locations have 10-15"). Hard to believe Manasquan has that much less than Long Branch or less even than AC, but it's hard to find data for cities not covered by the NWS. One could look at snowfall maps for each event to guess at it, but not sure how reliable that would be. Also, your link is only for 2/17 snowfall, which was 2.0" for Manasquan. Looking at Jan/Feb. I calculated 5.5" for Manasquan, which sounds a little low to me.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/Climate?wfo=phi
I guess it's where the measurement was taken. Going to guess not at the beach. Pt Pleasant BEACH rec'd 1". I'd say that was what I had here. After all, to paraphrase a famous politician, I can see Point Pleasant from my front porch😊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT