ADVERTISEMENT

Surace

satnom

All American
Jun 29, 2002
Looking forward to how he develops but curious to know from those that went to the spring game, how tall does he look?
On tv he looked on the short side like he’s under 6 feet. Am I far off?

GO RU

Reactions: vic_torre42
Looking forward to how he develops but curious to know from those that went to the spring game, how tall does he look?
On tv he looked on the short side like he’s under 6 feet. Am I far off?

GO RU

He looked short to me. He also looked very QB ish. We just need to see if he can perform when he gets his chance.

Reactions: satnom
If he’s 6’1” that might be stretch . Does his height impact his career? There have been others who did have productive college careers so I’m not sure being under 6’3” - 6’5” always translate to failure. There are many more intangibles if he is athletic.

Reactions: satnom
If he’s 6’1” that might be stretch . Does his height impact his career? There have been others who did have productive college careers so I’m not sure being under 6’3” - 6’5” always translate to failure. There are many more intangibles if he is athletic.

Drew Brees and Russell Wilson come to mind. 6'3" might be preferable but it's not required.

He did look shorter than 6'1" in the spring game but shouldn't be a huge factor in college. It's a bigger factor in the draft process. He is young enough that he might grow another inch or so. I'm sure Butler will put some good weight on him. If the talent is there, his size shouldn't be a big factor going forward.

If the talent is there, his size shouldn't be a big factor going forward.
This is really to crux of it. QBs with pocket presence, good arm and the "it" factor will be successful no matter their height as long as they are at least 5'10"
QBs like Sitkowski will never be successful no matter how great their measurable are because they lack that "it" factor.

Reactions: Bagarocks
Apparently his height/weight are a closely guarded secret and are not part of us RU bio:

None of the early enrollees have their height or weight listed

Drew Brees and Russell Wilson come to mind. 6'3" might be preferable but it's not required.

Also, I would imagine that QB height in college is less required than traditional NFL QB size which may be swaying some opinions on Surace's size.

Reactions: RUPete
This is really to crux of it. QBs with pocket presence, good arm and the "it" factor will be successful no matter their height as long as they are at least 5'10"
QBs like Sitkowski will never be successful no matter how great their measurable are because they lack that "it" factor.
That’s ridiculous. There is t enough support to recruit a a with the “it” factor.

What Artur lacked most was surrounding talent and a coach to coach him up. He had the arm and he played much better after a freshman season where he was thrown to the wolves. Sure he wasn’t Tom Brady, but he would have been reasonably serviceable with the right supporting cast. We probably would have had a better 2021 season, had Artur stayed.

That’s ridiculous. There is t enough support to recruit a a with the “it” factor.

What Artur lacked most was surrounding talent and a coach to coach him up. He had the arm and he played much better after a freshman season where he was thrown to the wolves. Sure he wasn’t Tom Brady, but he would have been reasonably serviceable with the right supporting cast. We probably would have had a better 2021 season, had Artur stayed.
That was Rutger’s failure as well as Ash ‘s failure for sure. The kid had size and measurable but lacked early on coaching similar to Gavin … very similar to Savage . What people refuse to acknowledge here is the fact Savage wanted to return several years post Arizona. Today he would have returned as the rules gave changed. I believe he has said as much about his mistake listening to his father. . Greg did not in 2010 have the Oline pieces he needed. Tom paid the price after the early head injury.

Reactions: rutgersal
That was Rutger’s failure as well as Ash ‘s failure for sure. The kid had size and measurable but lacked early on coaching similar to Gavin … very similar to Savage . What people refuse to acknowledge here is the fact Savage wanted to return several years post Arizona. Today he would have returned as the rules gave changed. I believe he has said as much about his mistake listening to his father. . Greg did not in 2010 have the Oline pieces he needed. Tom paid the price after the early head injury.
We were caught flat-footed when Anthony Davis declared for the draft. Anthony really could have used another year of college ball. Then Savage would have been adequately protected.

We were caught flat-footed when Anthony Davis declared for the draft. Anthony really could have used another year of college ball. Then Savage would have been adequately protected.
I don’t think AD needed another year in college - he was a high draft pick and did very well. Just walked away early. Presumably to protect his long-term health.

And I think AJ is bigger than Chas at this point. Not by a ton, but bigger. Both are the sons of coaches- definite intangible and a plus.
Chas was 5'10 at the absolute moss, and weight 170 lbs at the most. AJ is 6'1" and over 200 lbs. He's not skinny...pretty solid guy and will get a lot stronger. His strength coach in HS was a former RU strength coach who's now running ND high schools strength and conditioning and now assistant AD. He would make freshman Chas look tiny. I loved Chas Dodd by the way...one of my favorite guys of all time.

Chas was 5'10 at the absolute moss, and weight 170 lbs at the most. AJ is 6'1" and over 200 lbs. He's not skinny...pretty solid guy and will get a lot stronger. His strength coach in HS was a former RU strength coach who's now running ND high schools strength and conditioning and now assistant AD. He would make freshman Chas look tiny. I loved Chas Dodd by the way...one of my favorite guys of all time.
Thank you for putting it into perspective. I have been going off eyeball tests. Looking forward to the future at the position.

Thank you for putting it into perspective. I have been going off eyeball tests. Looking forward to the future at the position.
My son graduated ND last year and was friends with AJ...and my daughter graduating this year (in AJ's class...he left early in January). Kid is a great kid...a winner...and has a really good feel for the game. Dare I say he has the "it" factor? I think so, but the proof will be in what he does. He played injured junior year....demonstrated a ton of toughness. Had an amazing senior year where they dominated most games via offense, while having one of the worst defenses I've seen. I am looking forward to seeing him play. Hopefully we don't need to burn a redshirt this year (ie AK peforms very well and offense functions like a real college team for a change). Go RU.

My son graduated ND last year and was friends with AJ...and my daughter graduating this year (in AJ's class...he left early in January). Kid is a great kid...a winner...and has a really good feel for the game. Dare I say he has the "it" factor? I think so, but the proof will be in what he does. He played injured junior year....demonstrated a ton of toughness. Had an amazing senior year where they dominated most games via offense, while having one of the worst defenses I've seen. I am looking forward to seeing him play. Hopefully we don't need to burn a redshirt this year (ie AK peforms very well and offense functions like a real college team for a change). Go RU.
Unless it’s a complete disaster (extremely poor performance or bad injuries) I don’t think they plan to play him this year. They seem comfortable with 1-2 right now since GS gave Gavin the talk. We’ll see.

No. Art was severely lacking the "it" factor.

I don’t think AD needed another year in college - he was a high draft pick and did very well. Just walked away early. Presumably to protect his long-term health.
He only did 11 reps of 220 lbs. he was drafted 11th but was abused his first year. After hitting the weight room his second year, he did much better.

"It" factored is just something we say a good QB has.

Maybe it's most often given to a confident guy who can rally the guys up, but without the ability to read a defense or throw a good ball, that term is probably going to be kept in the pocket.

He only did 11 reps of 220 lbs. he was drafted 11th but was abused his first year. After hitting the weight room his second year, he did much better.
Many OL get abused their first year. He was drafted in the first round. Why on earth do you think he should’ve stayed another year?

Reactions: Kbee3
I know. I graduated with him.
My brother dated his sister Patty in high school back in the day.
My cousin dated and married one his teammates. They were pushing for him to win the heisman trophy and wanted to call it the Theisman Trophy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT