ADVERTISEMENT

Surace

Many OL get abused their first year. He was drafted in the first round. Why on earth do you think he should’ve stayed another year?
because he was only at Rutgers 3 years, and would have benefited from a fourth year, which would have better prepared him for the physical demands of the NFL.

because he was only at Rutgers 3 years, and would have benefited from a fourth year, which would have better prepared him for the physical demands of the NFL.
He was a first round pick who went on to a successful, albeit, abridged career in the NFL. As the late great Tony Soprano would say, “End of subject!”

Reactions: rubaseball78
The “It” factor includes several things about the individual, but the “It” factor most importantly is they also make EVERYONE (sometimes even coaches) around them better.

Reactions: wheezer
He was a first round pick who went on to a successful, albeit, abridged career in the NFL. As the late great Tony Soprano would say, “End of subject!”
Jeremy Zuttah had a much better NFL start and long career (9 years) because he was adequately prepared, especially in the weight room, which helped with his longevity. Davis only played 4 full seasons and retired early due to a serious injury he suffered. I don’t think many would call that a successful NFL career. But at least he made it to the show. And he only spent three years at Rutgers. Certainly a fourth year would have benefited him.

Did AD retire because of concussions? I might be wrong on that question. If not, not sure if another year at RU would have made much difference if concussions were the reason he left the game.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Anthony Davis couldn't run away from Schiano fast enough. Even if he could have benefitted by an extra year in the program, it was never going to happen.

Jeremy Zuttah had a much better NFL start and long career (9 years) because he was adequately prepared, especially in the weight room, which helped with his longevity. Davis only played 4 full seasons and retired early due to a serious injury he suffered. I don’t think many would call that a successful NFL career. But at least he made it to the show. And he only spent three years at Rutgers. Certainly a fourth year would have benefited him.

False. Davis was ready for the NFL. Staying a 4th year would have done him no good.

AD was always going to leave after 3 years. But the main reason it was super smart is that was the last draft class that could negotiate the first year contract. The following year- your draft position limited your ceiling on your first contract.
AD was never a gym rat but had football strength and just a mindset to beat the guy he was lined against. What hurt him, he did not read the defenses as well as should have it he didn’t have so much natural talent.

Apparently twister defines the “it” factor as a QB that is told to hand it off on virtually every play
That Illinois win over Penn State is the longest game in NCAA history. Sitkowski broke his arm in that game, which might have limited his passing statistics. He missed the rest of the season.
I’m not sure if he is still on the Illinois football staff, but he was a graduate assistant at Illinois football.

Last edited:
That Illinois win over Penn State is the longest game in NCAA history. Sitkowski broke his arm in that game, which might have limited his passing statistics. He missed the rest of the season.
I’m not sure if he is still on the Illinois football staff, but he was a graduate assistant at Illinois football.

😐 🤔 👌

He broke his arm in overtime. It didn’t limit his statistics in that game.

He got his butt kicked year 1 because he wasn’t ready.
I think @yesrutgers01 added another wrinkle that I wasn't aware of, but supports the point further. AD likely knew he would be a high draft pick. Given the nature of the sport and potential injury, you go at that point. Period. It doesn't matter if you get your butt kicked in your first year once you have a contract.

I think @yesrutgers01 added another wrinkle that I wasn't aware of, but supports the point further. AD likely knew he would be a high draft pick. Given the nature of the sport and potential injury, you go at that point. Period. It doesn't matter if you get your butt kicked in your first year once you have a contract.
It also kind of sucked for other OL going into the draft as 4 or 5 year players. All of a sudden, guys that may have stayed an extra year, joined the draft because of the change and pushed other guy back in the draft.

None of this changes the fact that he simply wasn’t physically ready year 1. Offensive Lineman should not go to the NFL until they are physically ready.

Sure he was a high draft pick. Sure he played four years. But it matters because the cumulative impact of the pounding he took year 1 left him more susceptible to concussions in year 5, not to mention the significantly increased risk of CTE later in life, thx to the multiple concussions he absorbed.

Contrast that with Jeremy Zuttah, who was physically ready Day 1 in the NFL and had a 9 year career.

Reactions: RUB1GTEN
None of this changes the fact that he simply wasn’t physically ready year 1. Offensive Lineman should not go to the NFL until they are physically ready.

Sure he was a high draft pick. Sure he played four years. But it matters because the cumulative impact of the pounding he took year 1 left him more susceptible to concussions in year 5, not to mention the significantly increased risk of CTE later in life, thx to the multiple concussions he absorbed.

Contrast that with Jeremy Zuttah, who was physically ready Day 1 in the NFL and had a 9 year career.
Were you going to write him a check if he blows out his knee during his fourth year?

Reactions: Scarlet83 and mdk01

The 225 reps mean almost nothing. On the OL- leg strength, balance, quickness mean so much more.
If he pressed 30 reps- it doesn’t stop the helmet to helmet these guys get non stop.
And it isn’t the bell ringing concussion that are dangerous…it is the 100 or so hammer taps to the head that go on all game…
Zuttah most likely had just as many hits to the head, my son did as well and it was a knee that stopped him.
An extra year for AD wouldn’t have helped him at all and most likely could have dropped him in the draft with how bad the 2010 OL was

Were you going to write him a check if he blows out his knee during his fourth year?
Of course not. Who is going to cut him a check if he develops CTE or other cognitive issues later in life?

But researchers have for years posited that the more hits to the head a player receives — even subconcussive ones, which are usually not tracked — the more likely he is to develop cognitive and neurological problems later in life.

A new study published on Tuesday in the scientific journal Nature Communications added a critical wrinkle: A football player’s chances of developing chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or C.T.E., are related to the number of head impacts absorbed, but also to the cumulative impact of all those hits.

Of the 631 brains examined, 451 players, or 71 percent, were found to have C.T.E., while 180 did not. The players who were estimated to have absorbed the greatest cumulative force had the worst forms of C.T.E., which has been associated with symptoms including memory loss, impulsive behavior, depression and suicidal thoughts.

Eric Nauman, a biomedical engineering professor at the University of Cincinnati who was not involved in the study, said the results strengthened the idea that an accumulation of subconcussive hits, rather than concussions, was the driving force behind long-term cognitive decline.

Of course not. Who is going to cut him a check if he develops CTE or other cognitive issues later in life?

But researchers have for years posited that the more hits to the head a player receives — even subconcussive ones, which are usually not tracked — the more likely he is to develop cognitive and neurological problems later in life.

A new study published on Tuesday in the scientific journal Nature Communications added a critical wrinkle: A football player’s chances of developing chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or C.T.E., are related to the number of head impacts absorbed, but also to the cumulative impact of all those hits.

Of the 631 brains examined, 451 players, or 71 percent, were found to have C.T.E., while 180 did not. The players who were estimated to have absorbed the greatest cumulative force had the worst forms of C.T.E., which has been associated with symptoms including memory loss, impulsive behavior, depression and suicidal thoughts.

Eric Nauman, a biomedical engineering professor at the University of Cincinnati who was not involved in the study, said the results strengthened the idea that an accumulation of subconcussive hits, rather than concussions, was the driving force behind long-term cognitive decline.
Now, you're just avoiding the points that myself and others have made. This is silly. I'm done here.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Looks like al is tilting at windmills again!

Don_Quixote_fighting_windmills.jpg

He did look smaller and with less arm strength than expected given the favorable comments on him being a D1 qb from recruiting sources.

Looking forward to how he develops but curious to know from those that went to the spring game, how tall does he look?
On tv he looked on the short side like he’s under 6 feet. Am I far off?

GO RU
Tua is 6'1'. Brock Purdie is 6'1". Jalen Hurts is 6'1".

If you don't consider them too short for the NFL, then you shouldn't consider AJ Surace to be too short for the BiG. By the way Tua's little brother is 5'11" and he crushed us regularly and completed 67% of his passes over the last 4 years.

Last edited:
The 225 reps mean almost nothing. On the OL- leg strength, balance, quickness mean so much more.
If he pressed 30 reps- it doesn’t stop the helmet to helmet these guys get non stop.
And it isn’t the bell ringing concussion that are dangerous…it is the 100 or so hammer taps to the head that go on all game…
Zuttah most likely had just as many hits to the head, my son did as well and it was a knee that stopped him.
An extra year for AD wouldn’t have helped him at all and most likely could have dropped him in the draft with how bad the 2010 OL was
Sure leg strength is very important. But To neutralize a bull rush an OL has to be able to deliver a strong two handed punch, especially when going up against million dollar defensive ends. This is why he would have benefited from an extra year of S&C.

I think with AD, we beat UNC, Tulane, and Syracuse, significantly changing the tenor of that season.

Last edited:
Sure leg strength is very important. But To neutralize a bull rush an OL has to be able to deliver a strong two handed punch, especially when going up against million dollar defensive ends. This is why he would have benefited from an extra year of S&C.

I think with AD, we beat UNC, Tulane, and Syracuse, significantly changing the tenor of that season.
But that does not equate to bench pressing 225 for a certain count. Keep in mind- yes, if he could do 225 35 times- his punch could have even been better but is doesn't mean it hurts him either if he has everything else.
With my son, I think he was low 20's in the 225. And he was never known for upper body strength, his strength was pure legs/core and knowing his angles, having balance etc. And his punch was exceptional. Usually what his NFL talked about first.

And none of that matter when it comes to the head injuries. The report you posted nails it- it isn't about the "concussions" it is the repeated hits to the head that cause the damage- and there is no way around that. When Kevin made the NFL- one of the first things he was told- for every year you play OL/DL in the NFL and college, take 5 years off your life expectancy.

Tua is 6'1'. Brock Purdie is 6'1". Jalen Hurts is 6'1".

If you don't consider them too short for the NFL, then you shouldn't consider AJ Surace to be too short for the BiG. By the way Tua's little brother is 5'11" and he crushed us regularly and completed 67% of his passes over the last 4 years.
Didn’t say Surace was too short but he looked sub 6’ on tv. Ultimately he like the Qbs you mentioned above are judged by their production numbers not height.

Looking forward to seeing the young man develop. Someone also mentioned he’s not a pencil stick and is a solid built athlete.

GO RU

AD was a top 10 pick. You do not return to college if that is the case. Finance 101. Risk/reward. I'd advise anyone of that fact. Would I have loved him to return to benefit Rutgers? Of course. But that is secondary.

Fieldhouse Al….since not football, what explains your cognitive decline ? Decades of hitting yourself in the head with your signed Big Mike Fladell helmet ?

It seems that Surace has the ability to play the position. May be shorter then the prototypical QB but it seems that has started to change and we are seeing a lot more of those 5ft 11-6ft guys make it into the pro's.
It is all going to just come down to the kid wanting it more than anyone else in that room.

It seems that Surace has the ability to play the position. May be shorter then the prototypical QB but it seems that has started to change and we are seeing a lot more of those 5ft 11-6ft guys make it into the pro's.
It is all going to just come down to the kid wanting it more than anyone else in that room.

And he could have an inch or two more to grow. I grew an inch between 18 and 19. Others have grown even more. David Robinson added 4" his first year at the Naval Academy.

AD was a top 10 pick. You do not return to college if that is the case. Finance 101. Risk/reward. I'd advise anyone of that fact. Would I have loved him to return to benefit Rutgers? Of course. But that is secondary.
He was actually picked 11th but point taken

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT