ADVERTISEMENT

Switch to run and gun full court press style

APKnight

Senior
Nov 21, 2013
That's what I would do. What have you got to lose? Wenzel did that in the "back to the rac" year. And Eddie played it in the glory years. I know its kind of late in the season but desperate times call for desperate measures. That style can hide a team's flaws. Or maybe expose a few more but I would go for it asap. This "Princeton" offense is nothing but bad karma.

Originally posted by APKnight:
That's what I would do. What have you got to lose? Wenzel did that in the "back to the rac" year. And Eddie played it in the glory years. I know its kind of late in the season but desperate times call for desperate measures. That style can hide a team's flaws. Or maybe expose a few more but I would go for it asap. This "Princeton" offense is nothing but bad karma.
we don't have enough personnel to do this. The team is gassed. We don't have our legs, which is why we're not shooting at a good percentage. This season is done. Just finish up as best we can.

well we're already seeing what the other teams would do with that as we never get back...5-6 dunks against us would become 12+ and we've already seen our inability to finish at the rim but multiple players..

I get what you are saying but mind as well let it go for 2015 and see what you got to work with next season.

Inability to defend is due to our current style. 40 minutes of havoc is what this team needs. If it doesn't work, so what? Our current style doesn't work either.

the fuel tank is close to E and the yellow light is on.

Teams across the country don't play man as their primary defense and play guys the minutes (both in total and uninterrupted) that we do. Either Jordan is wrong here or all other successful D1 coaches are wrong.

We have nothing left. When I get angered at players not hustling I have to tell myself this is what exactly we all said would happen in the end of the year. They would hit the wall and hit it REAL hard.

For Freeman and Williams right now not to hit the court until late in the 1st half is idiotic.

This should be the LONG TERM goal...press and trap and play fast..and chuck from deep.

The RAC crowd with this formula leads to EXCITING basketball and a TRUE home court advantage

Originally posted by Scarlet Shack:
This should be the LONG TERM goal...press and trap and play fast..and chuck from deep.

The RAC crowd with this formula leads to EXCITING basketball and a TRUE home court advantage
Yeah...never ever had 1 season (or game that I can remember) since that famous 94-40 comment by the guy who has his team #1 in the Horizon League right now.

The problem is the Waters never played that way. He stated it, but the team never played in that manner.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Could things be any worse? That's why you have a 13 man roster. Plus walk-ons. If a guy gets tired, replace him. It's not like there's a HUGE gap in talent.

Here's something you can blame Jordan for.....having 2 ineligible guys in Johnson and Diallo. Add in Goode sitting out and you have 3 spots and the guys are not participating. But, they are practicing, working on S&C and watching/learning from the bench.

Obviously, they will more ready next year than your average freshmen.

I still have my Waters Pressure tee shirt which never came to fruition.It might turn out to be a collectors item along with the paper bags worn during the Littlepage era.

Originally posted by RU-Choppin-Ohio:
Here's something you can blame Jordan for.....having 2 ineligible guys in Johnson and Diallo. Add in Goode sitting out and you have 3 spots and the guys are not participating. But, they are practicing, working on S&C and watching/learning from the bench.

Obviously, they will more ready next year than your average freshmen.
After watching Michigan, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State and others, I would need to hear some good things from those close to the program to get my hopes up. Big 10 players are big and physical but athletic as hell. Can our redshirt freshman contribute right away because we might need them to.

Inability to defend is due to our current style. 40 minutes of havoc is what this team needs. If it doesn't work, so what? Our current style doesn't work either.
You need players, especially a deep bench to create 40 minutes of havoc. Like I said, we don't have enough personnel to do this.

No legs. Bull. These are young men. A day of rest and they should be good to go.
Stick a fork in us. We're done. Doubt we win another game, though I'll cheer like everyone else. Too few guys playing too many minutes.

EJ isn't going anywhere for a couple years but if you like that style Tim Cluess seems like your guy. I know many here seem gaga over the Hurleys but at the mid major level Archie Miller and Tim Cluess interest me as coaches to keep an eye on more.

I know he liked to push it but I didn't even realize just how much. It's like one of those hurry up spreads in football. His career kind of reminds me of one of those spread coaches to a degree, like an Art Briles/Brian Kelly type. A very successful coach at all the levels he's coached from high school, to D2 to now at mid major level at Iona. Winning percentage at around .700-.800 level. I was reading a handful of articles from a year or two ago about him and he seems just like the type of guy who has a chance to win without many facilities. Picked up his offense from Frank Morris, his high school coach. It was the same place Pitino/Donovan learned it. Talks about all the things we always talk about with team, hard work, drive, not giving up etc...as keys to why his teams are successful. Defense probably wouldn't be so good but the offense would definitely excite.

This post was edited on 2/24 6:32 AM by rutgersguy1

But if Sanders qualifies and Lewis stays, then Jordan has a full complement of 12 scholarship players for next year. 3 decent sized centers to anchor the full court press, especially if Diallo is the shotblocker he's supposed to be. 4 athletic swing type forwards in the Johnsons, Etou, Foreman, and Okoro that you can trap and run with. 4 guards in Sanders, Williams, Goode, and Daniels who can spell each other in a fast paced tempo. Why not?

You need to score consistently to press. You need to defend and rebound to run. Effective fast break basketball requires good passers who see the floor and effective finishers. Have we seen any indication that this team has the players or the skills to play like this?

Originally posted by DocRU:

But if Sanders qualifies and Lewis stays, then Jordan has a full complement of 12 scholarship players for next year. 3 decent sized centers to anchor the full court press, especially if Diallo is the shotblocker he's supposed to be. 4 athletic swing type forwards in the Johnsons, Etou, Foreman, and Okoro that you can trap and run with. 4 guards in Sanders, Williams, Goode, and Daniels who can spell each other in a fast paced tempo. Why not?
if if if if if....that;'s how we have lived since 1992 with RU bball.

We should do the opposite of run and press...we should hug the ball and play zone

It would be insanity if we didn't run a fast break with next years team.

Sanders, Daniels, Foreman. Has to happen.

Originally posted by higgins3:
It would be insanity if we didn't run a fast break with next years team.

Sanders, Daniels, Foreman. Has to happen.
One of Mack's best skills is what he can do in transition, especially in the air. I would find it very hard to believe that day 1 Sanders would be more effective than mack in transition.

As for Foreman, how many times has he filled the lane in transition this year?

We don't have a backup point guard and a lack of guards. In B1G we should be in grind it out mode, reducing possessions, and playing D.

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:

We don't have a backup point guard and a lack of guards. In B1G we should be in grind it out mode, reducing possessions, and playing D.
When it is all said and done (and we are done) a successful team needs good guards, especially the point guard. I love Mack but he is not a point guard and you do not find too many 5'9" shooting/off guards in the power 5 conferences. No matter how good your frontline is, someone has to set the plays and get the ball in their hands to score.

I do not want to put too much hope on an incoming freshman but Corey Sanders will have to live up to the four star ranking for us to be competitive next year. And I am not talking about wins/losses just being competitive.

Fig, i am not expecting Sanders to replace Mack. That is not feasible. I am just saying, don't be predictable and play to your strengths. Sanders, Daniels, and Foreman are very athletic. We haven't gotten out that much this year.

I expect 6 pts a game from Sanders. He is much more athletic than Mack though and needs to be used. If transition is not set u p well though, it can lead to quick turnovers. Don't run a fast break if you see more than 2 guards in front of you.

If only the thought process could be made so simple. We need to play to our strengths and keep some opponents thinking. I don't expect a ton out of Sanders though. What's most important is people stay and we use our full roster.

25%+ of our scoring should come from his position...if we score 63PPG his slot would score 15-16 PPG. If he plays 30MPG you are looking at 12-13 PPG. Daniels is the only guy who can score without help. If Sanders is advertised you are looking at 13-15 PPG.

Didnt you say we're expecting a lot of out this kid? 13-15 pts is Myles Mack right off the bat,

Well have other scorers, just depends if they're utilized.

Latest Corey Video. What gets me most excited about his game is the bullet no look passes, his ball handling, his improved shooting, and his athleticism.

Not to put too much on him, but we need him here fast.

Corey Vid

Originally posted by higgins3:
Didnt you say we're expecting a lot of out this kid? 13-15 pts is Myles Mack right off the bat,

Well have other scorers, just depends if they're utilized.
there isn't any one on current roster other than Daniels that can score without help.

Scoring 13-15 points per game and helping the team win are 2 different things.

my personal opinion is that a full court press, VCU style HAVOC defense is not a good option in a major league. Good teams pick apart the full court press way too easily. VCU has lost most of their games vs top competition since their miracle Final Four run (that was fueled by hot 3 point shooting, not their press). The Pitino's (Louisville and Minnesota) are the only other major teams I know of that press, and their's is more token pressure to waste shot clock than anything else.

APKnight, kudos as your OP turned out to be somewhat prophetic, considering the last 4 minutes of yesterday's game.

Run and gun and a modified press/trap defense where you pick your spots would be worth a look with guys like Foreman, Daniels, Williams and (hopefully) Sanders next year, and a shot blocker like Diallo to back it up on D.

Certainly would be exciting to watch.

If Eddie is thinking the same thing, then these last two games and the tourney could be interesting and fun, even before we get to next year...

I can only assume that many of you don't watch much college basketball. There is a reason very few teams press at the high D1 level and that no NBA teams do even with a 8 second rule instead of a 10 second rule. The reason is that most teams at the high D1 level have enough ball handlers to easily beat the press most times. A team that presses for most of the game gives up many more easy baskets than they gain.

Sounds like the press is like going for it on 4th down every single time or onside kicking after every touchdown. It should only be used in desperation. Just because it worked for 4 minutes doesn't mean it work for 40 minutes.

Who said anything about all 40 minutes? I said "pick your spots" to run a trapping D.

Also the idea of a running offense with the guys we will have next year has some merit.

I watch as much basketball as anybody, and I understand the game quite well.

You also don't have to play in one style the whole game.

Thanks Billy, I am quite familiar with the game. I just thought that we have a lot of flaws that a pressing style might mask. And we do have good athletes, so it's worth a try. I would create 40 minutes of utter chaos the likes of which no one has seen before. If we get blown out, oh well. But hey it just might work.

You forget that he press only goes into action on made baskets. So even if a team shoots well at 50%, the press is used half the time.
Grind it out style to limit possessions has not prevented blowouts. RU has better athletes than shooters. Play to the strengths.

Just throw in a press every so often so it's not as predictable and won't wear you out. As for right now, we're running players at high minutes a game. Next year though i would use it every once in a while. Can't hurt. Every possession and it might lose it's effectiveness. Like you said, players beat the press because of how athletic the game has become. Nonetheless, if you try to dribble through a press you will turn the ball over. Just look at Daniels play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT