ADVERTISEMENT

Targum Q&A with Barchi

Originally posted by brista21:
Originally posted by rutgersguy1:
I think it's been assumed we get from the B10 right around what the same amount we got in our last year in the BE/AAC which I believe was in the 10M vicinity.

I've also posted here multiple times about one report I saw last spring which showed projections where we're not really going to get any big increases in revenue from the B10 for the next few years. It's basically in the 10-11.5M range for a couple years then to 15M, 20M, 25M and then 35M (or whatever the full revenue is at that time).

Unless anything has changed from that I wouldn't expect any B10 revenue windfalls any time soon.
I believe it was around 7 or 8 million our last year in the BE/AAC. Well it would've been about that anyway. The first year we were guaranteed a little more than that hence the $9 million and it would step up slowly to full payouts starting in year 6 or 7. This was our entrance fee/buy-in for the BTN partnership. So you have it about right. I'd guess in 2015-2016 we'll see maybe $11 million or so and so forth and so on.
Someone here posted the tax documents of either the BE/AAC or RU, I can't remember which and in that I think the distribution was around 10M. Yea the money will go up over the our buy in period but my point was in the early years of the buy in period the jumps in revenue won't be too big according that that report I saw last year. Later on during the buy in period the jumps are bigger until we finally are a full member.

So I'm just saying assuming nothing has changed don't expect any appreciable increases in B10 revenue the first few years in the B10.

Originally posted by Scarlet_Scourge:
The Big Ten reportedly paid its members about $24 million last year. The Big East's payout to football members last year was $6 million.

11/20/2012 -AP
We werent in the BIg East last year. Before it fell apart we were making around $9-10 million for everything from the Big East. We arent getting much more right now from the Big Ten, and I beleive rutgersguys1 is correct. We wont for a few more years.

Originally posted by derleider:

The Big Ten reportedly paid its members about $24 million last year. The Big East's payout to football members last year was $6 million.

11/20/2012 -AP
We werent in the BIg East last year. Before it fell apart we were making around $9-10 million for everything from the Big East. We arent getting much more right now from the Big Ten, and I beleive rutgersguys1 is correct. We wont for a few more years.
That report was from 2012.

11/20/2012 -AP
I couldn't find the latest tax document that someone else posted back then but I did find the 990 form from the 2010-2011 year. We got 8.1M that year from the BE. Assume an increase for the next couple years as payouts usually increase from year to year and you'd probably get into that 9-10M range.

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2011/510/244/2011-510244593-0844791e-9.pdf

Regardless, as I said, the point is don't expect appreciable B10 revenue jumps for the first few years of our membership.

This post was edited on 4/10 4:29 PM by rutgersguy1

Originally posted by RC1978:
Hoboken, respectfully you are way off base. Just look at the list of things that have, are and will be happening under his tenure. Just look at the list you posted under.

As for athletics. We have been in the B1G for exactly ONE year and you expect us to be up their with the big boys. No, I never said this. We need to compete. I want to be better than Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern's of the conference. I fully understand how hard it is to compete without getting full BIG money. That's why I think leadership is so important. I am not evaluating him on a list his planning people put together. I am judging him based on what I think his leadership skills are. Instead of looking that them think about the Purdue's, Illinois , Northwestern, etc of the conference. They have been members for over 100 years and all the money that comes with that and they are no closer to big time then us. We were part of conferences that were either falling apart or thrown together the last five years with no security. He gets it, you don't. Is this necessary to promote discussion? I have my opinion you have yours. If you think he is a great leader and who we need going forward, then great, that's your opinion.

[/QUOTE]

11/20/2012 -AP
I couldn't find the latest tax document that someone else posted back then but I did find the 990 form from the 2010-2011 year. We got 8.1M that year from the BE. Assume an increase for the next couple years as payouts usually increase from year to year and you'd probably get into that 9-10M range.

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2011/510/244/2011-510244593-0844791e-9.pdf

Regardless, as I said, the point is don't expect appreciable B10 revenue jumps for the first few years of our membership.

This post was edited on 4/10 4:29 PM by rutgersguy1
Here is the 990 for the year ending Jun 2013: http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/510/510244593/510244593_201306_990.pdf

Rutgers received $10.6 million ($5.8 FB + $4.8 BB)

Yeah - thats my point. He has plans. He will reveal them when he had already planned to reveal them. All of the talk hasnt caused him to speed up his plans. The talk might have helped raised funds by bringing attention to the issue, or Lesniak in particular might help us take advantage of some money that is available. But we didnt change our plans because of all of the talk. It doesnt appear to have given us much cover within the university to do what we want. The people who are going to complain are complaining, the people who matter (the BoG) are going to approve the plan, just as they would have had Lesniak never said and word.
I tend to agree with this bit especially.
I don't think he has sped up any plans necessarily, but you have to admit the attention the facilities got made him address it publicly more than he probably would have. There definitely is more pressure on him now for facilities to help us compete. This is a good thing.

This post was edited on 4/10 4:57 PM by JPhoboken

Originally posted by CERU00:

This exchange in particular was embarrassing..

Barchi: So have you read the New Brunswick piece of the facilities or physical master plan?

DT: I have not.

Funny. I was about to cut and paste the same thing, but it's not really embarrassing unless you preface it with the question that preceded it:

DT: So with all the construction, transportation becomes an issue. So
... what is the administration's plan
for dealing with deficiencies, especially when more students are coming
in?

Barchi: So have you read the New Brunswick piece of the facilities or physical master plan?

Originally posted by JPhoboken:

I don't think he has sped up any plans necessarily, but you have to admit the attention the facilities got made him address it publicly more than he probably would have. There definitely is more pressure on him now for facilities to help us compete. This is a good thing.

I don't know that there's anymore pressure on him. Like I said these things weren't just cobbled together in a few short weeks. This stuff, both the long and short term vision, probably has been worked on for quite some time. He's addressing it because he's being asked about it. If no one asked him I don't know that he'd be saying anything prior to the BOG meeting. But since he's being asked he's answering, that's all I see really.

In the end though, talk is cheap it's the actions that matter. He and anyone else can talk about facilities until we're blue in the face just look at the college ave greening back with McCormick. Figuring out what's achievable and the road map to get there (feasibility studies people here facetiously refer to and hate) is what's important not just a bunch of pictures and bloviating from whomever.

But as I said though, I'm still not convinced that it will be done as quick as some here might like it. I'm okay with it because I get the finances are going to be tough but I can see the impatience coming to the fore if it's not as quick as some here want.

Originally posted by SanFranRutgers:
Originally posted by CERU00:

This exchange in particular was embarrassing..

Funny. I was about to cut and paste the same thing, but it's not really embarrassing unless you preface it with the question that preceded it:

DT: So with all the construction, transportation becomes an issue. So
... what is the administration's plan
for dealing with deficiencies, especially when more students are coming
in?

Another instant classic:

DT: So last Wednesday I was at the Board of Governors meeting in Newark
and I'm a commuter - I come from Woodbridge, so it's like 20 or 30
minutes away. And when I was in Newark I noticed there are in the
parking decks - you click a button and get a ticket, and the ticket, if
you're a student there, it's $4 - if you don't have a hang tag it's $4
to park. And if you're not a student it's $12. And here, if you have a
hang tag just for the wrong campus and you parked in the wrong parking
deck you get a $50 parking ticket. So what's the reason? Why don't we
have those machines here, and why is a parking ticket $50?

I don't know that there's anymore pressure on him. Like I said these things weren't just cobbled together in a few short weeks. This stuff, both the long and short term vision, probably has been worked on for quite some time. He's addressing it because he's being asked about it. If no one asked him I don't know that he'd be saying anything prior to the BOG meeting. But since he's being asked he's answering, that's all I see really.

In the end though, talk is cheap it's the actions that matter. He and anyone else can talk about facilities until we're blue in the face just look at the college ave greening back with McCormick. Figuring out what's achievable and the road map to get there (feasibility studies people here facetiously refer to and hate) is what's important not just a bunch of pictures and bloviating from whomever.

But as I said though, I'm still not convinced that it will be done as quick as some here might like it. I'm okay with it because I get the finances are going to be tough but I can see the impatience coming to the fore if it's not as quick as some here want.

I have to mostly agree with Rutgersguy here. Barchi is talking about facilities because people are asking him about facilities. But his response is that Rutgers is sticking to the plan. His hand isn't being forced because of the talk.

But that doesn't mean Lesniak's letter didn't have an effect. He might not have changed Rutgers' course of action, but he certainly influenced others. He got everyone else talking about the need for basketball facilities, and he made it easy for others to support construction of basketball facilities. That is good for Rutgers, because it will help mute the opposition when details are announced in June.

Originally posted by Upstream:

I have to mostly agree with Rutgersguy here. Barchi is talking about facilities because people are asking him about facilities. But his response is that Rutgers is sticking to the plan. His hand isn't being forced because of the talk.

But that doesn't mean Lesniak's letter didn't have an effect. He might not have changed Rutgers' course of action, but he certainly influenced others. He got everyone else talking about the need for basketball facilities, and he made it easy for others to support construction of basketball facilities. That is good for Rutgers, because it will help mute the opposition when details are announced in June.
I agree with this as similar was said by derleider above. I don't know if it'll ever mute the opposition but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a politician being supportive openly.

while I agree there was always a master plan and stuff wasn't cobbled together I do believe that the pressure did make RU speed things up and address things more clearly..why do I say this...well Barchi's letter to Lesniak really was a poor response that did not go into detail of what was going on. It IMO reflected poorly on Barchi. Then maybe about two weeks ago some PR person from RU EJ Miranda released a statement saying there was no plan....now how does that mesh with there being a master plan.

I think it took this media discussion to finally get everyone on the same page. I wouldn't be surprised if Julie intentionally floated that bad news at the Court Club meeting to get things going and then finally there was more of a dialogue between her, Barchi, the BOG, Lesniak and even Christie

Originally posted by bac2therac:

while I agree there was always a master plan and stuff wasn't cobbled together I do believe that the pressure did make RU speed things up and address things more clearly..why do I say this...well Barchi's letter to Lesniak really was a poor response that did not go into detail of what was going on. It IMO reflected poorly on Barchi. Then maybe about two weeks ago some PR person from RU EJ Miranda released a statement saying there was no plan....now how does that mesh with there being a master plan.

I think it took this media discussion to finally get everyone on the same page. I wouldn't be surprised if Julie intentionally floated that bad news at the Court Club meeting to get things going and then finally there was more of a dialogue between her, Barchi, the BOG, Lesniak and even Christie
+1 It boggles my mind that people think that the facilities publicity had no effect.

There has been a plan , especially for athletics for over a year, drawings etc.. Wanting to get a better picture of funding and costs was what they were waiting for. If you think the publicity moved up the announcement a few weeks or a month so be it.

+1 It boggles my mind that people think that the facilities publicity had no effect.

it clearly did, its not thinking that it did.....if you take what Julie said at the CC meeting along with RU's silence at first..then Barchi's insulting letter to Lesniak and the RU spokesmen saying that there was no plan just a couple of weeks ago then either Rutgers is a total mess when it comes to communication or it did speed up the announcement. You don't go out of your way like they did if everything was coming in June..this got fast tracked even though I certainly agree there was a plan out there they were working on for a while

Yeah - thats my point. He has plans. He will reveal them when he had already planned to reveal them. All of the talk hasnt caused him to speed up his plans. The talk might have helped raised funds by bringing attention to the issue, or Lesniak in particular might help us take advantage of some money that is available. But we didnt change our plans because of all of the talk. It doesnt appear to have given us much cover within the university to do what we want. The people who are going to complain are complaining, the people who matter (the BoG) are going to approve the plan, just as they would have had Lesniak never said and word.

Has anybody considered Lesniak was the flag pole and somebody(ies) at RU had their hands on the halyard?

Originally posted by e5fdny:

Has anybody considered Lesniak was the flag pole and somebody(ies) at RU had their hands on the halyard?
I know that's been hinted at by some here and that would be a fairly unprecedented political maneuver at RU to get a state politician so publicly involved on our side like that.

At the same time, Lesniak has always been an alum and we've needed basketball upgrades for years and years but he chooses now to suddenly make a big stink so who knows. If it helps us get it done, bravo.

This post was edited on 4/11 7:42 AM by rutgersguy1

it clearly did, its not thinking that it did.....if you take what Julie said at the CC meeting along with RU's silence at first..then Barchi's insulting letter to Lesniak and the RU spokesmen saying that there was no plan just a couple of weeks ago then either Rutgers is a total mess when it comes to communication or it did speed up the announcement. You don't go out of your way like they did if everything was coming in June..this got fast tracked even though I certainly agree there was a plan out there they were working on for a while
I didn't really have a problem with Barchi's letter. He was correcting the cost of the improvement of facilities and he said the planning phase was nearing completion and it seems like that's so considering the announcement at the BOG meeting.

As to Miranda, I think that was misinterpreted when he said plans haven't been developed. He was saying the only time they would go to the state for assistance in trying to get it done would be when plans are developed. Technically that's true they didn't have a plan developed which to me means they were still in the "preliminary" phases or whatever you wanna call it and figuring out priority, what can realistically be funded, etc.. I took it as the plans hadn't been finalized not that they had nothing at all which is how some here take that comment. Really plans aren't developed to ask the state until you have them finalized internally within the admin and then finally get BOG approval. Then you have a developed plan that you can take to the public and see if you can get any state assistance. That's the way I saw his comments.

As to the timing, I could have sworn someone in the admin, maybe JH, way before this whole Lesniak stink said they were going to be releasing things some time in the summer to the beginning of fall. So in my mind, it's on schedule or possibly a couple month earlier but that's about it.

Here's an excerpt from Barchi's letter.

You wrote in your letter that making necessary renovations and improvements to the RAC and constructing new or upgrading current practice facilities for all 24 of our intercollegiate teams could be accomplished for $30 million,'' Barchi wrote. "Our preliminary analysis leads us to the conclusion that the actual cost for appropriate renovations and improvements would be many times higher than that figure. As it nears completion, our planning process will give us a precise understanding of those costs, allow us to develop realistic implementation schedules, and help us set fundraising targets. Again, all indications at this point lead our facilities planners to the conclusion that $30 million is a mere fraction of the total cost and is not a reasonable estimate.

"Certainly, improvements for practice facilities and for the RAC will need to address current and anticipated needs. The costs for substantial and durable improvements must be accurately projected, and fundraising and capital models to cover those expenses will need to be realistic and achievable.''

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT