ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks B1G......

OntheBanks

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2001
Staten Island, NY
for allowing us to have a total of 3 weekend home games. Ohio St, Purdue and Illinois.
Ohio St. on a Sunday night, Illinois on a Sunday afternoon, and
Purdue on a Saturday afternoon.
Also, thanks for not giving us home games against our closest competitors PSU & Maryland.
Sure helped us boost attendance. :boxing::chairshot:

for allowing us to have a total of 3 weekend home games. Ohio St, Purdue and Illinois.
Ohio St. on a Sunday night, Illinois on a Sunday afternoon, and
Purdue on a Saturday afternoon.
Also, thanks for not giving us home games against our closest competitors PSU & Maryland.
Sure helped us boost attendance. :boxing::chairshot:
Wow..didn't realize that about weekend games. About the schedule, it rotates so you don't play your "regional rivals" twice a year...just the way it goes......some times like this year, it's 1x per year and on the road

Reactions: biazza38
we had a Friday game, Big 10 went to Friday games...I see no issues with the scheduling that happened especially since they were trying to cram more games in finishing the season earlier.

RU had dismal attendance this year for conference games

The fan base has been begging for a winner and a big dance appearance for a generation. Give us a 23-10 type team and you could play the games at 2am on Tuesday and the RAC would be packed.

I dunno...our fans bail at the slightest wobble...

Reactions: knight82
The fan base has been begging for a winner and a big dance appearance for a generation. Give us a 23-10 type team and you could play the games at 2am on Tuesday and the RAC would be packed.
The fan base for mens basketball has dwindled to around 2500 season ticket holders in a 8000 seat arena..Attendance now is driven by the opponent more so than by supporting Rutgers.Winning matters in NJ to sustain interest in college athletics.As to students there must be lots of communication with the student body to create enough interest for them to attend.

1991 since tourney, UCONN has two bad years and their fans are up in arms. over 25 years and no tourney.

Our home schedule timing wise was horrible this year. So was football until the Maryland change. Surprised that we don’t play PSU and Maryland 2x every year. First, the league with the gift that keeps on giving, gave us the most difficult schedule possible and then is surprised if we struggle. Everyone knew Purdue and MSU were going to be the top two and we got them 4x. Minny was supposed to be. We got them too. League, like awful officiating, and crummy coverage on B1G network, takes advantage of RU. Saw OSU play at PSU at 8:00. Did we have any eight o’clock starts? 7:00 starts hurt RU more than any other team in the league due to metro commuting.

I think Sunday night is fine. Guessing Illinois on a Sunday will be one of our better crowds. All year our best crowds have been the weekend games no?

8 PM on Sunday stinks. Have a friend who live 75 miles away. Purdue was the only good weekend game for him to come.

Yup... this was the deal we knew we were getting when we joined. You want the B1G $$ you play when they say.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I agree. Just surprised then when fans complain about attendance.

well bottom line is we have 1 game left at home this year. And it is this SUNDAY at 2:45pm. And it is Senior Day and it is a winnable game....so I damn hope we have fans there and early enough to say thanks.

Reactions: Sluggersdad

History backs this

After bannon’s firsr year ...we averaged almost 7600 per game for a team that ended up 9-9 in the big east and the nit after faltering at the end

Win and the RAC will be fillled

History backs this

After bannon’s firsr year ...we averaged almost 7600 per game for a team that ended up 9-9 in the big east and the nit after faltering at the end

Win and the RAC will be fillled
Big Rast had more attractive regional teams which drew big crowds to the RAC. Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota just not the same as Syracuse, Georgetown, SHU,etc.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
The fan base for mens basketball has dwindled to around 2500 season ticket holders in a 8000 seat arena..Attendance now is driven by the opponent more so than by supporting Rutgers.Winning matters in NJ to sustain interest in college athletics.As to students there must be lots of communication with the student body to create enough interest for them to attend.
So a little under 1/3 of our seats are held by season ticket holders. I wonder what % our league members have. I'm guessing places like Purdue, Nebraska & PSU may have similar numbers but a greater total attendance per game due to larger number of students attending.
All 3 have approx. 15,000 seat arenas.

Last edited:
So a little under 1/3 of our seats are held by season ticket holders. I wonder what % our league members have. I'm guessing places like Purdue, Nebraska & PSU may have similar numbers but a greater total attendance per game due to larger number of students attending.

NU has 12,000 season ticket holders. The rest are for students and visitors. I think there are a few to sell per game but they disappear so fast that you don’t hear much about them.

As I posted in another thread last month, there are 9 conference home games. 3 of ours were on a Saturday or Sunday and 6 were on the other 5 days of the week.

And as @RUChoppin also posted in the same thread last month, 3.4 is the average for the league:
6 - Maryland
4 - Purdue, Ohio St, Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa
3 - MSU, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska, Wisconsin
2 - PA St, Northwestern

I don't think there is anything to complain about here.

Reactions: RURM85
and don't forget while midweek games have less fans int he building it helps BTN ratings since more will watch on tv.

The 500,000 living Rutgers alumni and their families are probably a big factor to RU being in the B10 since many live in NJ and will potentially tune in on tv

the Big 10 had to cram games in this season.. Illinois is playing 3x this week....They played Tuesday, play Thursday and play Sunday

Last edited:
Purdue probably has a higher percentage than that. Pretty rabid fan Base.

PSU wouldn't have a similar percentage to Purdue and Nebraska. PSU fans don't care about basketball like that. They care more about hockey than basketball.

Purdue probably has a higher percentage than that. Pretty rabid fan Base.

PSU wouldn't have a similar percentage to Purdue and Nebraska. PSU fans don't care about basketball like that. They care more about hockey than basketball.
And wrestling...

As I posted in another thread last month, there are 9 conference home games. 3 of ours were on a Saturday or Sunday and 6 were on the other 5 days of the week.

And as @RUChoppin also posted in the same thread last month, 3.4 is the average for the league:
6 - Maryland
4 - Purdue, Ohio St, Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa
3 - MSU, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska, Wisconsin
2 - PA St, Northwestern

I don't think there is anything to complain about here.

Hey, don't let facts get in the way of the culture of victimhood the permeates this place.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT