ADVERTISEMENT

The 1-3-1 Zone. Works great for us

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
And it helps guys stay fresher on offense, and triggers turnovers and fast breaks.

Hope we stick with it as it’s a different look from man…good change of pace.

It worked against Mish, but you better believe Kevin Willard has been practicing his 1-3-1 offense the past couple of days.

It worked against Mish, but you better believe Kevin Willard has been practicing his 1-3-1 offense the past couple of days.
We only used it probably on 5 possessions and I think it was the element of surprise but one time JMike who was under the hoop got caught going against their big man for a rebound and well it wasn't a contest

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Always loved the 1-3-1. Taught it to my 12/13 yolds. They loved it cause opposing teams had no idea what we were doing. Won a few games against better teams that way.

Reactions: Scarlet83
You can’t really stay in a 1-3-1 imo. Sporadically it works great because, especially if you extend the defense, it takes teams a long time to get into their O. But eventually they just get shooters into the corners and it falls apart.

I really like where we give a 1-3-1 look and matchup into man. Saw that a few times against Michigan and it really slowed them up.

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
You can’t really stay in a 1-3-1 imo. Sporadically it works great because, especially if you extend the defense, it takes teams a long time to get into their O. But eventually they just get shooters into the corners and it falls apart.

I really like where we give a 1-3-1 look and matchup into man. Saw that a few times against Michigan and it really slowed them up.
This really frustrated Mishigan.

Excellent point. Slow down their offense at first with the zone then switching to man mid possession is extremely tough for an offense to run. Just need to make sure the team is all on the same page as to who their man is when you switch

Always loved the 1-3-1. Taught it to my 12/13 yolds. They loved it cause opposing teams had no idea what we were doing. Won a few games against better teams that way.
I remember Wenzel used it from time to time in 1988-89, with Ricky Dadika running the baseline as the bottom “1”.

Excellent point. Slow down their offense at first with the zone then switching to man mid possession is extremely tough for an offense to run. Just need to make sure the team is all on the same page as to who their man is when you switch
Ant Wright, former UM bball player and semi-prominent Twitter presence, has a really good film review of the second half. Seems like Pike had Cliff in the middle of the 1-3-1, and when the ball got thrown high post to Reed, RU would pick up man.

Helps that UM ran terrible zone O and made it very easy for us to match up

Reactions: Scangg
I remember Wenzel used it from time to time in 1988-89, with Ricky Dadika running the baseline as the bottom “1”.
Loved Wenzel. He switched from a 2-3 zone to a 1-3-1 zone to a match up zone to a man to man almost every other trip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT