ADVERTISEMENT

How to beat a 3-2 zone

MusicFreaks

All American
Nov 7, 2002
Granted, I'm no B-Ball expert, but why couldn't RU figure out how to beat a really passive 3-2 zone. Seemed they tried to beat it using Mag at the foul line, which is the teeth of the zone. Unless you can shoot over it, shouldn't RU be attacking the coffin corners or dribble drive for open shots?

I think RU could learn A LOT from watching the Stonehill offense with their back door cuts. They may have missed a few, but man they were great looking shots.

RU is going to see A LOT more zone this season, so they'd better learn how to beat it inside.

Reactions: tm_nj
My AAU teams used to pass into the corner to collapse it, quickly go high post and then either low post or anywhere on the weak side quickly. I’m oversimplifying but it wasn’t rocket science.
Did your AAU teams teach ball you man triangle on defense? Starting to see some don't.

Absolutely did. Two passes away always had one foot in the lane. Old school. Not sure if it’s still done.
I know left handed layups on the left side isn't a thing anymore. I think it is because time is spent practicing 3s (for obvious reasons).

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Ball you man was first taught by St Mary’s Elizabeth hoops coach Al LoBalboa in the late 50’s. Mary’s was a power house at the time. He sat next to some great college coaches on their bench. Louie Carnesecca and Coach K were two benches he sat on. He also taught Kevin McLouglin and Rollie. Went to his camp in the 60s and learned D. Lo actually worked full time in the Belleville school system in administration originally.

Reactions: The_Senator
I know left handed layups on the left side isn't a thing anymore. I think it is because time is spent practicing 3s (for obvious reasons).
Funny story to really date myself..back around 2004, I had a 4th grade team and in order to teach them how to shoot I told them to shoot as if they were in a phone booth to keep their elbows in…blank stares as no one knew what a phone booth was even back then. I told them it was what Superman changed his clothes in..again nothing.. I insisted they shoot layups with either hand and we diligently practiced lefty (and righty) layups. I told them they had to be “amphibious” as a joke…that..they remembered.

Reactions: RUPete and RAC93
Granted, I'm no B-Ball expert, but why couldn't RU figure out how to beat a really passive 3-2 zone. Seemed they tried to beat it using Mag at the foul line, which is the teeth of the zone. Unless you can shoot over it, shouldn't RU be attacking the coffin corners or dribble drive for open shots?

I think RU could learn A LOT from watching the Stonehill offense with their back door cuts. They may have missed a few, but man they were great looking shots.

RU is going to see A LOT more zone this season, so they'd better learn how to beat it inside.
You should always have someone on the foul line so you can go high low or kick out when the zone collapses on him. Mulcahy was ideal for this last year. I like Mag there this year. Your guards and wings should also constantly be looking to attack the seams in the zone - make two play one freeing someone else up. That's it in a nutshell.

Reactions: darkcheck
vs Zone:
1) beat the zone down the floor
2) gap the zone with the dribble
3) shoot over the zone as last option (not an option for us)

Funny story to really date myself..back around 2004, I had a 4th grade team and in order to teach them how to shoot I told them to shoot as if they were in a phone booth to keep their elbows in…blank stares as no one knew what a phone booth was even back then. I told them it was what Superman changed his clothes in..again nothing.. I insisted they shoot layups with either hand and we diligently practiced lefty (and righty) layups. I told them they had to be “amphibious” as a joke…that..they remembered.
It’s funny that you bring that up about the elbows. I remember a youth coach telling me to keep my elbows within an imaginary box when shooting. He went on to demonstrate how inconsistent or flare out elbow made your shot a crap shoot.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT