ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction — Illinois Pt. 2

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
1. Illinois is just scary good with Shannon. I’ve never seen a team get downhill with such ease than this team, and they hit their layups and shots at the rim with an envious frequency. Illinois was a WHOPPING 26-38 on 2-pt FGs, most of which were within 6 feet of the rim.

2. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Pike didn’t switch to a zone defense. We were helpless to stop their dribble drive penetration on nearly every offensive possession for Illinois, and Pike stubbornly stuck with a man defense. MIND BOGGLING.

3. Shoutout to Cliff for a really nice offensive game, at least for the first 30 minutes. After that, he had a bunch of his usual prayers toward the hoop that had no chance. But with 22 points on 10-19 shooting, he was our MVP today.

4. Illinois’ size and length is just a terrible matchup for our small guard rotation. Most of Illinois’ 13 offensive rebounds were a direct result of the size differential and our guys not looking to box out. We got killed on the boards again, this time 46-32.

5. Bad game for Mag today, with just 2 points (1-6) and 2 rebounds. I hope it’s just an off day and not the minutes piling up and wearing him and his surgically repaired knee down.

6. We cut the lead to 55-51 about midway through the second half after an 11-1 run. Raise your hand if you didn’t predict that Illinois would wake up and run us out of the building after the timeout. That’s exactly what they did, outscoring us 35-12 the rest of the way.

7. Gavin didn’t play at all in the second half (until garbage time). Pike knows that GG is not ready for this type of physical game and wouldn’t be able to guard Illinois’ big wings.

8. Illinois is a Final Four contender if Shannon retains eligibility. They have it all on offense, and their defense is elite with that ridiculous length at all five positions.

When I watch Shannon play I think back to Young playing for Rutgers.He could dribble drive to the basket and hit the 3 pointer.Harper next season is another left handed shooter that I am looking forward to watching and he is taller.

Its really embarrassing watching opponents run offense and get easy shots around the basket while Rutgers still runs playground basketball without the talented players.As the season progresses there is a very disappointing situation with Griffiths.He was the star recruit for this season and his playing time is diminishing with each league game.

A question going forward is which players can be expected to get playing time next season to assist Bailey and Harper in scoring ?

9. Shannon will be ruled ineligible tonight. And if we meet them in the Big Ten Tournament, will be ruled eligible the night before the game.

Count on it
Illinois doesn't need Shannon to defeat Rutgers.I doubt Rutgers will be playing Illinois in the Big Ten Tournament because that would require Rutgers winning multiple games on the road.

When I watch Shannon play I think back to Young playing for Rutgers.He could dribble drive to the basket and hit the 3 pointer.Harper next season is another left handed shooter that I am looking forward to watching and he is taller.

Its really embarrassing watching opponents run offense and get easy shots around the basket while Rutgers still runs playground basketball without the talented players.As the season progresses there is a very disappointing situation with Griffiths.He was the star recruit for this season and his playing time is diminishing with each league game.

A question going forward is which players can be expected to get playing time next season to assist Bailey and Harper in scoring ?
When I watch him play, I think of the rape charge.

Reactions: RU82
Cliff forced too much in 2nd half. Hyatt had better matchup. They had options and Cliff will either force, miss, or turn ball over sometimes.

Nice review per usual by Degaz-RU

1. I know I sound like a broken record and no it’s not why we lost but the Officiating for RU games is so biased against Rutgers that’s it’s frankly ridiculous.

2. I want Pike to start being a bit of an @ss ref wise this year. Not for this year but for next year. We never get the benefit of any calls and all the awful calls go against us. So disheartening.

3. Cliff had a very nice game but in 2nd half still think he was still starting way too far from basket.

4. All the bashing of Fernandes, like Simpson, should stop. He had a nice game today.

5. Similarly JMike is an issue. Another game where he played extensive minutes, 26, and absolutely no assists. That’s a big problem. Exceedingly sloppy. I think score was 55-51, JMike misses an open three, Illinois hits a three, (6 point swing) and after a nice comeback the downfall started. If he’s a shooting guard he doesn’t shoot well enough. He hasn’t shown at all that he’s a point guard. He did hit foul shots today. Still think Simpson far more upside.

6. Hyatt was usual solid self. Mag had a clunker again. We needed him. We can’t win when he plays so poorly.
Nothing at all from Simpson or Williams. Amazed we were in the game. Williams missed ez layup to start the game and disappeared.

7. For the Oskar bashers he gave us some nice minutes. Hit a three, three rebounds an assist and a steal. Pretty clear Gavin has to get stronger. In retrospect should have redshirted to get stronger.

8. Know Shannon is innocent until proven guilty. Not knowing all the facts makes it hard to judge, so to speak, or have an opinion. If he’s really guilty he shouldn’t be playing. If he’s innocent, Illinois could be a Sweet 16 team.

Reactions: tm_nj and Wagram97
1. Illinois is just scary good with Shannon. I’ve never seen a team get downhill with such ease than this team, and they hit their layups and shots at the rim with an envious frequency. Illinois was a WHOPPING 26-38 on 2-pt FGs, most of which were within 6 feet of the rim.

2. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Pike didn’t switch to a zone defense. We were helpless to stop their dribble drive penetration on nearly every offensive possession for Illinois, and Pike stubbornly stuck with a man defense. MIND BOGGLING.

3. Shoutout to Cliff for a really nice offensive game, at least for the first 30 minutes. After that, he had a bunch of his usual prayers toward the hoop that had no chance. But with 22 points on 10-19 shooting, he was our MVP today.

4. Illinois’ size and length is just a terrible matchup for our small guard rotation. Most of Illinois’ 13 offensive rebounds were a direct result of the size differential and our guys not looking to box out. We got killed on the boards again, this time 46-32.

5. Bad game for Mag today, with just 2 points (1-6) and 2 rebounds. I hope it’s just an off day and not the minutes piling up and wearing him and his surgically repaired knee down.

6. We cut the lead to 55-51 about midway through the second half after an 11-1 run. Raise your hand if you didn’t predict that Illinois would wake up and run us out of the building after the timeout. That’s exactly what they did, outscoring us 35-12 the rest of the way.

7. Gavin didn’t play at all in the second half (until garbage time). Pike knows that GG is not ready for this type of physical game and wouldn’t be able to guard Illinois’ big wings.

8. Illinois is a Final Four contender if Shannon retains eligibility. They have it all on offense, and their defense is elite with that ridiculous length at all five positions.
Especially your #2. It IS mind boggling why Pike didn't switch it up to zone especially after the Illini as you said, WOKE UP. I don't know if it would have stopped their momentum, but it was at least worth a try. Our man-to-man wasn't getting it done and the fact that our kids don't often block out led to that crazy run by them leading to an easy win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT