ADVERTISEMENT

"The B1G will definitely have a Texas school by 2026."

Don't see it, but he states Texas A&M and ND as they next to be added to the BIG. Seems far fetched.

LOL…neither Texas nor Texas A&M will be in the big ten…makes no sense…the SEC is where each belongs. The SEC affords each quasi regionally, a semblance of cultural and traditional homogeneity (as much as that can happen now) and Olympic sports travel that makes sense.

Big donors at A&M would revolt unserious and very meaningful ways (💰💰💰💰💰💰)

The off season is rough on many.

PS: what’s a “third party talk?” Is this code for some nobody yahoo with no decision-making power just talking out of his ass?!

Last edited:
Aggie... come on down!
We've talked about this before, and it makes too much sense for it not to happen

TAMU was promised Texas would not be invited to join SEC. They're very salty about it. Not the craziest thing I've heard, but agree that Swaim is a moron.
Aggie tears very salty
Even though they're a cult, I don't blame them
The SEC screwed them 6 ways til Sunday
Cult joining SEC was largely predicated as a way to get out of UT's shadow

Reactions: satnom
LOL…neither Texas nor Texas A&M will be in the big ten…makes no sense…the SEC is where each belongs. The SEC affords each quasi regionally, a semblance of cultural and traditional homogeneity (as much as that can happen now) and Olympic sports travel that makes sense.

PS: what’s a “third party talk?” Is this code for some nobody yahoo with no decision-making power just talking out of his ass?!
First paragraph - you couldn't be more off
Second paragraph - Not privy so I'll take your word for it, but it's highly skeptical

Texas and Oklahoma were actually talking to the B1G since at least the early 2010s, but the B1G schools couldn't come to an agreement over admitting Oklahoma, and SEC had no such issue. Oklahoma's old president David Boren was pushing very hard after the Nebraska/Maryland/Rutgers move, but at the time some of the B1G schools were more stringent about AAU status and weren't seeing the bigger picture financially, and it backfired once UT and OU went and spoke to the SEC.

Down the line, I definitely can see the B1G trying to correct that error that they made trying to expand southward and trying to bring in those schools that fit from an athletic profile while loosening the AAU necessity - Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Colorado, Arizona State, North Carolina, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Miami, Georgia Tech, Duke all being serious candidates, and the academic and political prestige of the B1G being a factor in pulling schools from the SEC.

• Haha
Reactions: RUTGERS95
They are very excited in Denton, word is that a B1G offer to North Texas is imminent.

...Down the line, I definitely can see the B1G trying to correct that error that they made trying to expand southward and trying to bring in those schools that fit from an athletic profile while loosening the AAU necessity - Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Colorado, Arizona State, North Carolina, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Miami, Georgia Tech, Duke all being serious candidates, and the academic and political prestige of the B1G being a factor in pulling schools from the SEC.
Not sure how much of a chance there is of them joining, but Texas A&M is a member of the AAU.

Actually, all of the schools on your list are members of the AAU except Oklahoma, Georgia and Florida State, so I don't think much loosening of the AAU requirement would be needed for expansion to the South.

Last edited:
Bobcats, no?
You missed the pop culture reference.

Necessary Roughness GIF

Not sure how much of a chance there is of them joining, but Texas A&M is a member of the AAU.

Actually, all of the schools on your list are members of the AAU except Oklahoma, Georgia and Florida State, so I don't think much loosening of the AAU requirement would be needed for expansion to the South.
Well yeah I mean the B1G will still want universities with excellent academics, but with their known interest in FSU and having had multi year discussions over Oklahoma, it'll probably loosen to AAU schools and schools within ear shots of AAU, hence why Georgia, Oklahoma, Florida State and maybe even Clemson.

I check out a podcast here and there. One ACC "insider" says when the ACC dust settles, Clemson and Virginia will be in the B1G with UNC and FSU in the SEC. The Virginia thing would be a non starter with the Va Legislature passing a law years ago that UVA and Va Tech have to be in the same conf.

To me it would seem that very, very few truly know what's going on.

Reactions: WhiteBus
A&M is as big a cult as psu, without the Second Mile social club. Their boosters would never let them join a yankee conference.

I check out a podcast here and there. One ACC "insider" says when the ACC dust settles, Clemson and Virginia will be in the B1G with UNC and FSU in the SEC. The Virginia thing would be a non starter with the Va Legislature passing a law years ago that UVA and Va Tech have to be in the same conf.

To me it would seem that very, very few truly know what's going on.
Clemson and Virginia..?

Maybe Clemson and Miami ..... and I don't see Clemson.

Clemson and Virginia..?

Maybe Clemson and Miami ..... and I don't see Clemson.
Adding Virginia and Virginia Tech would mean there would be five teams within a five hour drive of the Atlantic coast and render the ACC practically irrelevant in all areas north of the Raleigh metro. Also, the state of Virginia has almost nine million people.
And if you're going for two AAU schools that would send shockwaves nationwide you go pluck Florida from the Confederacy and finally get Notre Dame to join.

Last edited:
Texas and Oklahoma were actually talking to the B1G since at least the early 2010s, but the B1G schools couldn't come to an agreement over admitting Oklahoma, and SEC had no such issue. Oklahoma's old president David Boren was pushing very hard after the Nebraska/Maryland/Rutgers move, but at the time some of the B1G schools were more stringent about AAU status and weren't seeing the bigger picture financially, and it backfired once UT and OU went and spoke to the SEC.

Down the line, I definitely can see the B1G trying to correct that error that they made trying to expand southward and trying to bring in those schools that fit from an athletic profile while loosening the AAU necessity - Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Colorado, Arizona State, North Carolina, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Miami, Georgia Tech, Duke all being serious candidates, and the academic and political prestige of the B1G being a factor in pulling schools from the SEC.
log off, go to bed

Well yeah I mean the B1G will still want universities with excellent academics, but with their known interest in FSU and having had multi year discussions over Oklahoma, it'll probably loosen to AAU schools and schools within ear shots of AAU, hence why Georgia, Oklahoma, Florida State and maybe even Clemson.
you are getting the 'moron button'

I think Rice and/or TCU are great candidates.

Don't see it, but he states Texas A&M and ND as they next to be added to the BIG. Seems far fetched.

He obviously knows squat, if the Big 10 could get ND to stand down from their independence and join they'd accept them in a heartbeat.

Greg Swaim is not a credible source

That being said, his best contacts/scoops are within Oklahoma/Texas circles

Regardless, this also just makes sense

B1G wants a national conference. Fox/CBS/NBC want a national conference. You don’t have a national conference if you’re not in Texas. Football = Texas.

If B1G/Fox can use A&M rift with UT to wedge them away before next media deal (ie 2029), then why not?

UT would have been ideal — but Longhorn Network likely made it impossible (re. ESPN) and not necessarily the Oklahoma problem

Like others have said, I also wouldn’t underestimate just how ticked A&M is to now be playing second to UT. When they were promised it wouldn’t happen

AAU/academics/research consortium very appealing to A&M brass.

Reactions: Son of Red
Greg Swaim is not a credible source

That being said, his best contacts/scoops are within Oklahoma/Texas circles

Regardless, this also just makes sense

B1G wants a national conference. Fox/CBS/NBC want a national conference. You don’t have a national conference if you’re not in Texas. Football = Texas.

If B1G/Fox can use A&M rift with UT to wedge them away before next media deal (ie 2029), then why not?

UT would have been ideal — but Longhorn Network likely made it impossible (re. ESPN) and not necessarily the Oklahoma problem

Like others have said, I also wouldn’t underestimate just how ticked A&M is to now be playing second to UT. When they were promised it wouldn’t happen

AAU/academics/research consortium very appealing to A&M brass.
This
This right here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT