ADVERTISEMENT

The Bench - scoring minutes and rotations

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
Where is the bench scoring going to come from?

Bench was 3-16 and 0-5

Simpson is not a good shooter. I'd like to see him attack the rim more. He was getting stuffed earlier in the season but has had more success recently

Dean needs to hit an occasional 3 and go up stronger around the rim and finish

Wolf flashed some post moves and scoring earlier in the season but we have seen none of it lately

Oskar needs open 3's if he is in to bring any value

Minutes and rotations? The bench needs to play but subbing in 3 bench guys at a time has NOT been working. Pike can probably get away with it against Nebraska but I think he needs to reconsider. Cliff foul trouble made that harder to avoid today to be fair

Reactions: bac2therac
If it’s going to come, it’ll be from Palmquist and Simpson. Dean hasn’t attacked the rim effectively enough to pass 4 PPG or so on a regular basis, Miller isn’t an offensive weapon and doesn’t get the minutes there, Wolf needs another 1-1.5 years.

I think the bigger issue is the lack of willingness or ability from our starters to attack the rim consistently. We’re settling for way too many mid-range and outside shots. Cliff’s shooting was down close to 15% from last year as of the last time I checked. Hyatt has had the yips all year anywhere near the basket. If they start to embrace the physicality and use their size more effectively, it will open things up for Simpson to attack with his quickness and for Hyatt, Spencer, and Palmquist to get better outside looks.

Where is the bench scoring going to come from?

Bench was 3-16 and 0-5

Simpson is not a good shooter. I'd like to see him attack the rim more. He was getting stuffed earlier in the season but has had more success recently

Dean needs to hit an occasional 3 and go up stronger around the rim and finish

Wolf flashed some post moves and scoring earlier in the season but we have seen none of it lately

Oskar needs open 3's if he is in to bring any value

Minutes and rotations? The bench needs to play but subbing in 3 bench guys at a time has NOT been working. Pike can probably get away with it against Nebraska but I think he needs to reconsider. Cliff foul trouble made that harder to avoid today to be fair
Nowhere.

Those stuffs are sometimes fouls at home. Cliffs fouls are clean blocks at home. That life in the BIG. Guys looked a little gassed and when you play D like we do that happens. We missed a lot of good looks in that stretch but also didn’t defend like we normally do. Cliff being on the bench was a big part on that end.

I’ve been saying it for a week now. Get Hyatt back to where he is comfortable — coming off the bench. It was lazy to put him in the starting lineup. He is our offense off the bench.

We never know what would have happened if Cliff didn’t get in foul trouble.

Dean and Wolf essentially lost us the game.

I know it is acceptable to knock starters as a reason and we did it last game.

This was pRImARILy a Dean and Wolf problem and secondarily Cam

Do you blame Cliff more for picking up fouls and forcing Dean and Wolf onto the court? Or blame Dean and Wolf more for their poor play?

Sorry, but if Cam doesn't start playing better, things will not change. Cam is the issue and you saw Pike starting to give some of Cam's minutes to Derek this game. You're not going to get many points off the bench so the starters have to pull their weight. Maybe start Derek and have Cam come off the bench. The change might do both of them good.

Reactions: goru7
Do you blame Cliff more for picking up fouls and forcing Dean and Wolf onto the court? Or blame Dean and Wolf more for their poor play?
I think this might be what you were getting at (and I don’t know if it’s fair), but I definitely can’t blame Wolf and don’t think I’d blame Dean. I think both are playing to the best of their ability at their current stages. I don’t think Cliff is playing at his best this year, even though where he’s at is still way above the alternatives, if that makes sense.

Still probably wouldn’t call it blaming him, maybe just thinking he’s more responsible if anything.

Reactions: seneca ave

its a cliff problem too today

I’ve been saying it for a week now. Get Hyatt back to where he is comfortable — coming off the bench. It was lazy to put him in the starting lineup. He is our offense off the bench.
Doesn’t make sense. Points are points. Doesn’t matter whether from starter or sub. Simpson can be the first sub. Not an important distinction. Besides, it’s minutes that matter.

The bench needs to play but subbing in 3 bench guys at a time has NOT been working. Pike can probably get away with it against Nebraska but I think he needs to reconsider. Cliff foul trouble made that harder to avoid today to be fair

Problem is we're now starting a bench guy, so even subbing in 2 bench guys at a time is the equivalent of 3 bench guys prior to Mag going out.

We need more consistent production out of Simpson, Palmquist, Reiber, and Woolfolk if we're going to stabilize things going into the postseason. That's asking a lot of guys who haven't shown that consistency yet in their Rutgers careers.

You saw Spence try it 6 times and get
stuffed or striped 5 of them
Because we go to the hole NOT trying to draw contact . We have several guys who shoot free throws well and we shy away from contact on the drive …and too often settle for a fall away that does not go in and is a low OREB percentage…instead of going to get fouled

So what if we get a couple of shots blocked ? It’s better than sone of the crazy fall aways we get off that doesn’t go in , and we don’t get the rebound

Reactions: goru7
Because we go to the hole NOT trying to draw contact . We have several guys who shoot free throws well and we shy away from contact on the drive …and too often settle for a fall away that does not go in and is a low OREB percentage…instead of going to get fouled

So what if we get a couple of shots blocked ? It’s better than sone of the crazy fall aways we get off that doesn’t go in , and we don’t get the rebound
For a team with such a tough defensive reputation they often play very soft and timid on the offensive end

Reactions: satnom and goru7

There’s almost always going to be starters to knock in a loss. How often do we lose with strong performances by all our starters?

No - the “blame” if you call it that isn’t realty blame but actually a question - what changed? What’s different is we are playing guys like Wolf, Oskar and Palm together for short stretches of time that we didn’t have to do before when we had Mag. This problem was present and observable at Indiana and Illinois.

There’s almost always going to be starters to knock in a loss. How often do we lose with strong performances by all our starters?

No - the “blame” if you call it that isn’t realty blame but actually a question - what changed? What’s different is we are playing guys like Wolf, Oskar and Palm together for short stretches of time that we didn’t have to do before when we had Mag. This problem was present and observable at Indiana and Illinois.
The problem is if Hyatt or Cliff get in foul trouble again there is almost no way to avoid it

Cliff and Hyatt starting but the only other options at those positions really are Dean Cliff Wolf and Oskar

Maybe Pike experiments with Paul guarding a 4? He was on Hawkins at times which didn't work out too well but depending on the matchup it may work better

Palm, Reiber, and Miller need to go. Juniors and a sophomore in the B1G who are non factors…Mag injury is highlighting how much these guys don’t belong.

The problem is if Hyatt or Cliff get in foul trouble again there is almost no way to avoid it

Cliff and Hyatt starting but the only other options at those positions really are Dean Cliff Wolf and Oskar

Maybe Pike experiments with Paul guarding a 4? He was on Hawkins at times which didn't work out too well but depending on the matchup it may work better
There’s no great option. The problem with Paul at the 4 is it puts him in risk of foul trouble which we can’t afford either. We can sit Paul for 5 or so minutes easier than Cliff or Caleb (it’s easier to have Caleb and Simpson bring the ball up and stall the offense and play solid defense to keep the score steady for a couple possessions than it is to have no ability to defend in the post) but any more than that becomes a disaster because neither Caleb nor Simpson are distributors. The only way it’s ever not devastating is if Oskar and Hyatt go off from 3 like at the end of the Indiana half. Caleb was sitting but we didn’t need defense for those 2 minutes. Indiana committed 2 brain fart turnovers before the ball got to the front court to expose those guys and we couldn’t miss from the perimeter.

I agree but we draw contact at home and at home we own the paint on both ends. Maryland looked feeble in our house. They’re a good team at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT