ADVERTISEMENT

Bench Minutes

PhillyRU

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2021
Just an observation after tonight, but 37.1% of our minutes go to bench players — that’s 53rd in the nation and fifth among Power 6 programs.

Obviously we can’t have the starters play 35 minutes a game, but it seems crazy that Rutgers dips into the bench at such a high rate despite the fairly visible drop off in performance

Reactions: Unionst
The problem is getting scoring from the guard positions and at center when Cliff is on the bench.The roster is full of complementary type players which requires constant tinkering to get some scoring from the players on the court.

Reactions: BillyC80
Just an observation after tonight, but 37.1% of our minutes go to bench players — that’s 53rd in the nation and fifth among Power 6 programs.

Obviously we can’t have the starters play 35 minutes a game, but it seems crazy that Rutgers dips into the bench at such a high rate despite the fairly visible drop off in performance
Put a pin in this thread for when someone starts complaining that we aren't giving the newcomers enough minutes to get ready for next year.

Oskar getting early sub minutes is a head scratcher. I love the guy — always cheering for the team, every once in a while gives you a few nice minutes — but really not sure what Pike is doing. Oskar didn’t have anything last night.

Reactions: satnom

If you want to play starters 32 MPG that would leave only 40 minutes for the bench.

Woolfolk 8
Jamike/Noah 16
that leaves 16 extra minutes......JaMike,Noah, Woolfolk, Oskar or Gavin

My lineup vs Illinois if it is viewed as a sinle elimination game (it isn't)
Simpson 32 JaMikeNoah 8
Williams 24 JaMikeNoah 16
Hyatt 32 Williams 8
Mag 32 Woolfolk 8
Cliff 32 Woolfolk 8

If Jwill is 75% of what he is advertised JWill becomes Simpson and Simpson becomes JaMike Noah. You could have a 7 man rotation. again this is my I have to win this game and there is no future.

Oskar getting early sub minutes is a head scratcher. I love the guy — always cheering for the team, every once in a while gives you a few nice minutes — but really not sure what Pike is doing. Oskar didn’t have anything last night.
Oskar hasn't had anything at all and is costing us dearly when he comes in the games he needs to be glued to the bench

I can go to BaC'S GAME recaps and pick out a few where fans thought he played good and needed more minutes.
too few and far between. There will be games where Gavin and Oskar and Wolf can get more minutes. The middle part of the schedule after Purdue is a 9 game stretch where the schedule weakens signficantly. RU faces their gauntlet the next 2 games where the rotation will and should be shortened and that includes the first half

Reactions: Scangg and RW90
too few and far between. There will be games where Gavin and Oskar and Wolf can get more minutes. The middle part of the schedule after Purdue is a 9 game stretch where the schedule weakens signficantly. RU faces their gauntlet the next 2 games where the rotation will and should be shortened and that includes the first half
Last night was an easier game...probably the 5th easiest B1G game we will have according to the computers. We had to fight tooth and nail just to win it. if woolfolk rebounds he isn't going to hurt us on the defensive end. With Mag and Hyatt we have the versatility of Woolflok playing the 4 with mag (preferred) or Hyatt (not preferred) shifting to the 3.

Also worth a mention....Pike had Hyatt defending the 2 (Tominaga) and the 5 (Mast)

Penn State
at Michigan
at Maryland
Wisconsin
Northwestern
at Minnesota
at Purdue
Maryland
Michigan

only 3 definite NCAA schools in that stretch and of the others only Maryland has a shot in hell of a spot

RU first 6 and next 2 were all against ncaa contenders...8 games

Its reasonable to think RU can win 5 of these games. They will have a hot shooting night and upset a Wisc/NW at home and I think there is a road win in there somewhere.

Last night was an easier game...probably the 5th easiest B1G game we will have according to the computers. We had to fight tooth and nail just to win it. if woolfolk rebounds he isn't going to hurt us on the defensive end. With Mag and Hyatt we have the versatility of Woolflok playing the 4 with mag (preferred) or Hyatt (not preferred) shifting to the 3.

Also worth a mention....Pike had Hyatt defending the 2 (Tominaga) and the 5 (Mast)
Hyatt D on Mast then sending late doubles with length in Cliff/Mag was an excellent move from the coaches. Took him completely out of the game and ruined the flow of Nebraska's offense

Here are our probabilities.

If you are wondering about right column......added WAB with a win. You subtract 1 from that number for a negative to WAB with a loss. We are at -1.1 games now. Beating Illinois and Purdue would put us on the right side of the bubble.

I don’t think the bench % is the issue. The main issue is wholesale subs.
Anytime you have Noah, Palm, Woolf, and Jmikenon the floor together it’s a recipe for disaster…that group put us in another deficit
Last night
Just sub 1-2 players max and keep a component of your starting 5 out there. Like when Woolf ONLY subbed for Cliff we were playing well.

Reactions: goru7 and Scangg
Rhetorical question......
Would you rather have 32 minutes of your Top 5 playing together and roll with how things go in the 8 when your 2nd team is in OR
Do you want to play your Top 5 together the 1st and last 4 minutes of each half and have 60% of the game with a mix and match lineup with bench

Obviously it depends on the team's roster and who you are facing.

I don’t think the bench % is the issue. The main issue is wholesale subs.
Anytime you have Noah, Palm, Woolf, and Jmikenon the floor together it’s a recipe for disaster…that group put us in another deficit
Last night
Just sub 1-2 players max and keep a component of your starting 5 out there. Like when Woolf ONLY subbed for Cliff we were playing well.
This is the key. Pike cannot make the 3-4 person sub. He doesn’t automatically have to sub at the under 16 timeout like he did when we took the lead at MSU 36-35 , especially coming off 4 days off and no one was tired and there were no transition buckets up to that point. He also has to yank guys if they just do nothing or worse hurt us , like he did with Oskar yesterday. On the other hand he gave Gavin 5-6 straight minutes in the first half to let him get acclimated to more minutes. His best use of Gavin so far. But it is crystal clear he runs for that starting 5 for long stretches unless someone is just terrible and definitely the last 7-8 minutes of the game.

Reactions: RUBlackout
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT