ADVERTISEMENT

The biggest blunder of the game was Rutgers not calling a timeout with 5.4 seconds left to set up the defense for the inbounds pass.

RCBeta79

Junior
Jun 7, 2013
The biggest blunder of the game was Rutgers not calling a timeout with 5.4 seconds left to set up the defense for the inbounds pass.

Put Cliff on the inbounds passer and make it difficult to pass around/over him. The worst case is the player catches the short pass coming to the passer (and stops) or has to change direction/start dribbling up court or looks to pass.

All of this chews up clock and can cause an errant pass before taking a desperation shot with time running out.

Yea but then you give Minnesota the chance to set up a play as well. Usually that’s a bigger advantage for the offense but yea I’m hindsight it def would have helped us out.

• Love
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
One of many blunders on last few seconds. Some others were :

- Not having Caleb defending Battle. Have no idea why Cam was on Battle
- no defender on guard who received the inbound pass.
- Hyatt and Paul playing Hot Potato with the ball

Just a shit show at the end. Brutal display for a senior laden team and experienced HC and staff.

Players come and players go now. But the one consistent thing is that our coach is pretty much a deer in headlights during much of this. He has to engage and inject himself into the game more and start making decisions in the moment. Clapping harder isn't a strategy,

Whether engaging the refs, making better player/personnel decisions, strategizing the fouls, engineering plays..or frankly just having a damn better sense of what the hell is going on out on the court and adding value with all of the above.
Sometimes he just reminds me of Kyle Flood with a notepad. His pressers and post game comments are exhibit one. Seem rehearsed for the same ol comments every time.

Sorry. I know he's a great guy and doing overall pretty good things but he is under-performing on the court.

One of many blunders on last few seconds. Some others were :

- Not having Caleb defending Battle. Have no idea why Cam was on Battle
- no defender on guard who received the inbound pass.
- Hyatt and Paul playing Hot Potato with the ball

Just a shit show at the end. Brutal display for a senior laden team and experienced HC and staff.
Absolutely. Yes & among the many blunders was not having Caleb glued to Battle.

Reactions: shields

Put Cliff on the inbounds passer and make it difficult to pass around/over him. The worst case is the player catches the short pass coming to the passer (and stops) or has to change direction/start dribbling up court or looks to pass.

All of this chews up clock and can cause an errant pass before taking a desperation shot with time running out.

No…he should have called time out AFTER the first free throw ….and set up the defense in the event of a make or miss

If Caleb misses …we can’t call time out either

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

Did Pike lose his mind there? In the collapse did he panic and not think? All I know, is that Purdue was in the same situation last night and Painter called a TO. He did exactly what the OP stated. He put a tall guy on the inbound passer and played press defense without fouling. The pressure was so immense that the Wisonsin player (Klimet) couldn't even get a shot off prior to half court and he shot an air ball that was 20 feet short.

What the hell was Pike doing there? How could he not see his "veterans" were out of sorts and needed to collect themselves. And don't get me started on the "veterans," out there because quite simply they choked and choked real badly.

It’s unclear that’s even a blunder but if it is it’s super obviously not the biggest of the many blunders. Try again

Reactions: ancienthooper
They didn’t have Cliff on the inbounder so he could potentially challenge the last shot. And they weren’t going to pass long anyway. But you can’t let them roll it unchallenged. That was the biggest blunder of all.

Reactions: Plum Street
To be fair it looked like Pike on the sidelines was motioning to guard up as they inbounded. But none of the players saw, or listened

To be fair it looked like Pike on the sidelines was motioning to guard up as they inbounded. But none of the players saw, or listened
you call a TO before the inbound...use it or lose it. That isn't a situation where you don't want to give the O the free timeout to set something up. Despite Paul's meltdown and Hyatt's terrible decision, RU still most likely wins the game if Pike calls TO there.

Reactions: RU MAN

More of a reason thar pike needed to recognize these guys were now mentally numb and needed a time out before Caleb took the second shot

Players come and players go now. But the one consistent thing is that our coach is pretty much a deer in headlights during much of this. He has to engage and inject himself into the game more and start making decisions in the moment. Clapping harder isn't a strategy,

Whether engaging the refs, making better player/personnel decisions, strategizing the fouls, engineering plays..or frankly just having a damn better sense of what the hell is going on out on the court and adding value with all of the above.
Sometimes he just reminds me of Kyle Flood with a notepad. His pressers and post game comments are exhibit one. Seem rehearsed for the same ol comments every time.

Sorry. I know he's a great guy and doing overall pretty good things but he is under-performing on the court.
I agree with first sentence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT