ADVERTISEMENT

The early season “elephant in the room” observation …..

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
What I saw …

With so many new players, and some new guys playing a different role , and a lot of players playing …

I didn’t see clear evejdenxe of someone being the leader on the court.

Who is the on the court leader for this team, and if there isn’t one ….who is gojng to step into the roll and be the on the court alpha?

The answer is …I didn’t see any evidence of one emerging yet

First …let me say that it’s hard for a center to be that guy alone …rhe ball is just not in his hand enough to be thsr guy….so I’m sure cliff can be A leader …and IS a leader in the lockerroom …but in talking about on the court

But who is the guy that’s going to settle us down when we are out of whack?

Who is the guy thars is gojng to settle down the younger guys if they are out of control ?

Who is the guy thsr is going to want the ball in his hands ar the end to make it happen ?

You get the drift

Right now …I didn’t see any evidence of one or two guys becoming the alpha on the court ….

And that’s something that needs to figured out ,…along with the rest of the roles on this team this year …and that may cause us to be a bit more uneven than we should be in the next few weeks ….

I am thinking/hoping once we start playing major conference team Cliff’s defense will be more visible. I think he would be your candidate. Like a goalie in hockey it is very difficult for a center to be your guy.

I do think Cliff is a lead by an example guy and not a rahbrah type. I really dont see any other candidates.

What I saw …

With so many new players, and some new guys playing a different role , and a lot of players playing …

Who is the on the court leader for this team, and if there isn’t one ….who is gojng to step into the roll and be the on the court alpha?

First …let me say that it’s hard for a center to be that guy alone …rhe ball is just not in his hand enough to be thsr guy….so I’m sure cliff can be A leader …and IS a leader in the lockerroom …but in talking about on the court

Who is the guy thars is gojng to settle down the younger guys if they are out of control ?

Who is the guy thsr is going to want the ball in his hands ar the end to make it happen ?

You get the drift

Right now …I didn’t see any evidence of one or two guys becoming the alpha on the court ….

And that’s something that needs to figured out ,…along with the rest of the roles on this team this year …and that may cause us to be a bit more uneven than we should be in the next few weeks ….
I agree with this. Honestly, it needs to be Cliff but I don't know if that's in his makeup. It will most likely be Mag when he returns, I think.

It’s gonna be the guy that emerges and makes plays when things are tight. There’s no proven guy so Tdb. Certainly a big question

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Well for one I would like to see us play more zone on defense being we are severely lacking on man to man from what I see across the team..clear this is not part of the OP post BUT it could help Cliff become that leader on defense by being in the middle.

That said....my expectation to start this season that Simpson was going to be the guy on the team to be more of a leader. I felt he was starting that last year by being more of the Alpha but he just disappeared on Monday.

I truly dont see anyone else but JMike is VERY vocal and brings high energy...not sure a freshman will be a leader we need though

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I was there up close Monday and this concerns me too. Maybe Mag? It just seems like a quiet group in general.

Fernandes or Hyatt should be that guy. That’s a benefit of “getting old”.
Can’t be that guy when you’re getting played off the court constantly. Would love for Hyatt to take the fabled “sixth-year leap,” but I just don’t see that happening

And tough for Fernandes as a first-year guy, senior or not

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
The elephant in the room is that Gavin Griffiths gave off Jaden Jones vibes.
This is too far. Jones never felt like a team-first player, even before he got to campus (transferring a number of HS’s / AAU programs, dad’s involvement in his recruitment, etc.). Anyone that saw the St. John’s game got a glimmer of the offensive arsenal Gavin has to offer. Sure, the defense might not be there yet — but he seems to have the “want-to” to become a better defender — after all that was half the reason he chose to play for Pike. Not sure Jones was ever interested in that aspect of his game

This is too far. Jones never felt like a team-first player, even before he got to campus (transferring a number of HS’s / AAU programs, dad’s involvement in his recruitment, etc.). Anyone that saw the St. John’s game got a glimmer of the offensive arsenal Gavin has to offer. Sure, the defense might not be there yet — but he seems to have the “want-to” to become a better defender — after all that was half the reason he chose to play for Pike. Not sure Jones was ever interested in that aspect of his game
I don't believe their careers will go the same way but that was my biggest red flag from game one. That he couldn't stay on the floor defensively against Princeton is a very bad sign. And on offense we were not doing things to get him shots.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I know it’s too far…but I did think it when he started and was almost immediately benched. His D was ridiculously bad and he didn’t show the ability to create in a very small sample size. From what I heard, Griffiths’ attitude is a lot different than Jones’ and I’m hopeful he’s a lot more grounded.

What I saw …

You get the drift

You don’t see evidence after a couple of scrimmages and one game?

We have a lot of 1st year players and one of our most experienced starters out right now.

Each team has a unique chemistry and leaders emerge as they figure out who can do what when the lights are on for real.

I don’t think the ideas of a “alpha” or “leadership comes from guards” are relevant to the RU hoops culture under Pike. We’ve had both approaches over the years and never made it to the NCAA.

Our best teams were with two of the most (publicly) laid back personalities leading the charge - Geo + Ron. Their team-first orientation was infectious and the sum of the parts wins out over time.

I don’t think this was by accident and even though it’s an NIL era and we’re recruiting on another level, I think Pike is looking to replicate that formula within each season.

It’s more difficult and means tinkering a bit more in the early season or even based on matchups within games. As long as we win, it will be a fun season.

This is what makes college fun.

The "elephant in the room" to me is that BU at home on Friday is pretty much a must win if we are going to make the NCAA. Seems insane, but after the poor losses last season, we can't afford to repeat that. There are six teams that RU absolutely must beat and BU is the first. So, these are must wins even as Pike is figuring out the players who will be in the main rotation.

Reactions: RUsojo
What I saw …

You get the drift

If he can produce and is willing to step over upper classmen , JaMichael Davis is / can be our floor leader.
He is vocal ; confident and can be cocky. The type of kid we d hate if he played for another team but will love on our team.
He will get in the faces of the opponent with his defensive style.
He’s earned the respect of Pike and the coaching staff to date !

Last edited:
Moronic. Gavin said one of the reasons he came to Rutgers was to get better defensively. He’s definitely not a selfish no interest in defending player. Amazing the conclusions from one bad game people make. If you take the worst game the last 5 years out of context singularly you’d think we were awful.

I was at the game and there seemed to be a lack of intensity similar to after Mag went down last year. I think him coming back will be a big boost in energy and leadership.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I was at the game and there seemed to be a lack of intensity similar to after Mag went down last year. I think him coming back will be a big boost in energy and leadership.
I think it wasn't intensity but more like a lack of confidence where everyone is trying to figure out their roles and everyone is looking for someone else to do something first. We learned last year that Mag was the key to the team and I'm thinking he will be so once again this year.

Agree that there is no leader on the court. Tough with new players. Noah has to become that player given his experience and should be 30 min per game player.

Other Elephant in room …worried that Gavin does not have the toughness or the dog in him to become a star here. Way too early to declare that, but I saw a deer in headlights look from him, and Not an ounce of cockiness or swagger

• Haha
Reactions: MiloTalon13
Even though he's a newcomer I think Noah has to be the leader. He's one of the oldest if not the oldest guy on the team. In college a year or two difference in age is huge. He needs to be vocal and get after people on the court.
I agree completely. If he doesn’t step up and lead the offense, I don’t see this team coming close to the tournament.

Agree that there is no leader on the court. Tough with new players. Noah has to become that player given his experience and should be 30 min per game player.

Other Elephant in room …worried that Gavin does not have the toughness or the dog in him to become a star here. Way too early to declare that, but I saw a deer in headlights look from him, and Not an ounce of cockiness or swagger
That baseline pull up jumper was dilky smooth. You guys are sumpin' else. 1st game as a frosh and people already got Griffs pegged.

OMG!

What I saw …

You get the drift

We have a 4th year center who should be a leader by now but isnt.

I don't believe their careers will go the same way but that was my biggest red flag from game one. That he couldn't stay on the floor defensively against Princeton is a very bad sign. And on offense we were not doing things to get him shots.
Gavin was a borderline 5 star recruit who should have a much bigger impact on games.

On Monday night after the loss, Pike said “We’re going to be good”

It’s not “this is my best team ever” but he seems to be confident
Funny enough we did get the classic “this is my best team ever” in the preseason.

I don’t fault pike but coach speak always gives me a laugh

Harper was awful his first few games
Ron had 15pts and 5reb in 17 minutes on 7 of 8 from the floor in his first game.

Furthermore the team generally did not start winning until he was consistently starting.

Reactions: kcg88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT