ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL RUTGERS-EASTERN MICHIGAN PREDICTION THREAD

Gonna be a whole lot of disappointment on Saturday. 1-54 vs P5 teams here we come! We win.

I'll probably go back to thinking we lose by Saturday. Just feeling confident after re-watching both teams games and knowing our squad. At the very least it will be close, which will disappoint a lot of people here judging by some predictions. Brogan Roback, Shaq Vann, Sergio Bailey, Antoine Porter, Maxx Crosby and Brody Hoying. Remember those names.

I usually do not participate on game prediction threads. But I could not resist replying to this post.

"Just feeling confident after re-watching both teams games ..." I just finished watching the EMU-Charlotte game. Apparently we each watched completely different games.

I can see the rationale for a close game - because these are after all just college kids playing, and emotions and mental mistakes and turnovers are often wild cards.

But based on watching both the RU game (at the game, and again on DVR), and just watching the EMU game, several thoughst came to mind:

1) RU's entire defense, but especially its Front 7, is WAY faster and WAY more physical, and by a large margin, than Charlotte's defense ... and EMU only scored 17 offensive points in that game ... though 1st games are often not the best games of the season. EMU's coach is a good coach, and EMU's QB is experienced (a 5th year Senior with this being his 3rd year as a starter).

But the EMU QB is not nearly as accurate, or as good, as UW's Browning. EMU's OL is not nearly as experienced, or as athletic as UW's OL. EMU's running backs are solid ... but not at all breakaway backs, like UW's Gaskin was (and is). EMU does have 2 athletic and good WR's. And though EMU's QB is more of a running threat than Browning, he is NOT very fast - the type of running QB that gives RU fits. RU's new defensive scheme, the 3-4, or modified 50 Oklahoma defense is exactly designed to stop offensive schemes like EMU's - and RU's defensive players are athletically superior to EMU's offensive players. If RU's defensive players maintain their assignments, and limit mental errors, there is a chance (though not a guarantee) RU could dominate defensively against an OL that has large players, but also 4 new starters.

2) EMU plays a 4-2-5 defense, with the 5th DB sometimes playing like a LB. And they played against a team that has similar offensive schemes as RU (i.e. QB from shotgun, power spread offense with an emphasis on running the ball, an occasional Pistol formation, short passes). EMU also played a lot of zone against Charlotte - and the Charlotte QB was unable to find those holes in the zone - hence 3 interceptions (though 1 INT was on a halfback option pass).

EMU did successfully defend against Charlotte, giving plenty of ground between the 30's, and forcing Charlotte into situations where their QB made mistake passes, which EMU intercepted. On the other hand, Charlotte had FOUR (4), I think it was 4, 15-yard penalties on OFFENSE, all of them negating large gains (2 or 3 of which were deadball foul, one an illegal block below the waist), putting Charlotte in difficult yardage situations, or forcing them to extend into much longer drives.

Unless EMU changes its defensive approach, RU could rush for 250+ yards. Charlotte was getting push with its OL, often pushing EMU's DL 3-4 yards from the LOS. And the Charlotte OL was creating plenty fop lanes for their power running back. Charlotte was also able to run outside on EMU's defense (albeit, with the QB). Martin and Edwards are each better than the Charlotte RB: bigger, stronger and faster. Heck, I am pretty sure Hicks is better (as strong, and faster) than the Charlotte RB. It would seem likely RU's OL is also better than Charlotte's OL - stronger and more athletic. And if EMU front 6 to 7 crowds the LOS more than it did against Charlotte, that will open it up for RU's more athletic WR's (like Grant and Bailey), or RU's bigger WR (like Mitchell), or the TE (Washington) to find seams and holes.

I do not necessarily see RU going deep a lot, and I do suspect a more conservative game plan than many RU fans like will be employed - especially if RU gains the lead. But I can also see RU players like Martin, Grant, Blackshear, etc., getting some bigger chunk plays within even a relatively conservative game plan. And I can see Edwards just pounding for 5+ yards a carry.

It would not surprise me if RU won by just 7-10 points - but the game being not really that close (maybe a late score by EMU to close the gap, after a 1Q score by EMU). Nor would it surprise me if RU won something like 28-10, or even 35-14 - or maybe better. It WOULD surprise me if RU lost - and of course that WOULD be very disappointing.

I usually do not participate on game prediction threads. But I could not resist replying to this post.

"Just feeling confident after re-watching both teams games ..." I just finished watching the EMU-Charlotte game. Apparently we each watched completely different games.

I can see the rationale for a close game - because these are after all just college kids playing, and emotions and mental mistakes and turnovers are often wild cards.

But based on watching both the RU game (at the game, and again on DVR), and just watching the EMU game, several thoughst came to mind:

1) RU's entire defense, but especially its Front 7, is WAY faster and WAY more physical, and by a large margin, than Charlotte's defense ... and EMU only scored 17 offensive points in that game ... though 1st games are often not the best games of the season. EMU's coach is a good coach, and EMU's QB is experienced (a 5th year Senior with this being his 3rd year as a starter).

But the EMU QB is not nearly as accurate, or as good, as UW's Browning. EMU's OL is not nearly as experienced, or as athletic as UW's OL. EMU's running backs are solid ... but not at all breakaway backs, like UW's Gaskin was (and is). EMU does have 2 athletic and good WR's. And though EMU's QB is more of a running threat than Browning, he is NOT very fast - the type of running QB that gives RU fits. RU's new defensive scheme, the 3-4, or modified 50 Oklahoma defense is exactly designed to stop offensive schemes like EMU's - and RU's defensive players are athletically superior to EMU's offensive players. If RU's defensive players maintain their assignments, and limit mental errors, there is a chance (though not a guarantee) RU could dominate defensively against an OL that has large players, but also 4 new starters.

2) EMU plays a 4-2-5 defense, with the 5th DB sometimes playing like a LB. And they played against a team that has similar offensive schemes as RU (i.e. QB from shotgun, power spread offense with an emphasis on running the ball, an occasional Pistol formation, short passes). EMU also played a lot of zone against Charlotte - and the Charlotte QB was unable to find those holes in the zone - hence 3 interceptions (though 1 INT was on a halfback option pass).

EMU did successfully defend against Charlotte, giving plenty of ground between the 30's, and forcing Charlotte into situations where their QB made mistake passes, which EMU intercepted. On the other hand, Charlotte had FOUR (4), I think it was 4, 15-yard penalties on OFFENSE, all of them negating large gains (2 or 3 of which were deadball foul, one an illegal block below the waist), putting Charlotte in difficult yardage situations, or forcing them to extend into much longer drives.

Unless EMU changes its defensive approach, RU could rush for 250+ yards. Charlotte was getting push with its OL, often pushing EMU's DL 3-4 yards from the LOS. And the Charlotte OL was creating plenty fop lanes for their power running back. Charlotte was also able to run outside on EMU's defense (albeit, with the QB). Martin and Edwards are each better than the Charlotte RB: bigger, stronger and faster. Heck, I am pretty sure Hicks is better (as strong, and faster) than the Charlotte RB. It would seem likely RU's OL is also better than Charlotte's OL - stronger and more athletic. And if EMU front 6 to 7 crowds the LOS more than it did against Charlotte, that will open it up for RU's more athletic WR's (like Grant and Bailey), or RU's bigger WR (like Mitchell), or the TE (Washington) to find seams and holes.

I do not necessarily see RU going deep a lot, and I do suspect a more conservative game plan than many RU fans like will be employed - especially if RU gains the lead. But I can also see RU players like Martin, Grant, Blackshear, etc., getting some bigger chunk plays within even a relatively conservative game plan. And I can see Edwards just pounding for 5+ yards a carry.

It would not surprise me if RU won by just 7-10 points - but the game being not really that close (maybe a late score by EMU to close the gap, after a 1Q score by EMU). Nor would it surprise me if RU won something like 28-10, or even 35-14 - or maybe better. It WOULD surprise me if RU lost - and of course that WOULD be very disappointing.

I vastly prefer this analysis to the SportsLine simulation model. ;)

This is RU' s chance to prove those wrong who disrespect them. If they don't, then they deserve any disrespect they get

Just saw this on SportsLine yesterday. I sure hope they are wrong!

"SportsLine Projection Model’s score: Eastern Michigan 23, Rutgers 18 - SportsLine simulated the game 10,000 times. It projects Roback throwing for 284 yards, 1.32 TDs and 1.38 INTs for EMU, while Kyle Bolin passes for 193 yards and Gus Edwards runs for 84 for Rutgers."

http://www.sportsline.com/insiders/...cores-revealed/?ttag=SL17_nl_247_rutgers_0906
10k simulations is a very small sample of combinations and permutations, and is based in random speculation of possible initial game situations and outcomes. I place zero confidence in that, even if it had placed us as the winner.

Is this game being televised? It says BTN on the schedule but on TV it says Michigan State vs. Western Michigan willbe aired at 3:30. No mention of Rutgers

Is this game being televised? It says BTN on the schedule but on TV it says Michigan State vs. Western Michigan willbe aired at 3:30. No mention of Rutgers
BROADCAST INFORMATION
TV:
Big Ten Network (BTN2Go)
Play-By-Play:
Jason Horowitz
Analyst:
Chuck Long
Radio:
Rutgers IMG Sports Network
WCTC 1450-AM, ESPN NY 98.7-FM,
WENJ 97.3-FM, WNJE 920-AM,
Sirius 83*, XM 83*
* Home team broadcast
Play-By-Play:
Chris Carlin
Analyst:
Ray Lucas
Analyst:
Eric LeGrand
Sideline:
Anthony Fucilli
Engineer:
Paul Shrager
Pregame:
2:30 p.m. with Marc Malusis
and David Milewski
Radio:
WRSU 88.7-FM (Student Radio)
http://www.scarletknights.com/documents/2017/9/4//17_EasternMichigan.pdf

I think it is the secondary game on BTN so will play in New Jersey area on the main BTN channel and the backup BTN channel elsewhere..but don't quote me.

Ps...do others get the feeling that BTN mentions Rutgers as little as possible? I guess now that they have locked down our cable market and got the $$ they could care less.

Love this homer group!

Play-By-Play:
Chris Carlin

Analyst:
Ray Lucas

Analyst:
Eric LeGrand

Reactions: RJM_Go_RU
This game scares me. RU comes in thinking "... hey, we're pretty good" and forgets that ANY win for this team requires intensity. RU wins late 21-16, but a close loss wouldn't shock me.

Reactions: newell138
This game scares me. RU comes in thinking "... hey, we're pretty good" and forgets that ANY win for this team requires intensity. RU wins late 21-16, but a close loss wouldn't shock me.
I don't think they are thinking they're pretty good, since most of the team has lost the last 11 games straight. This is their game to change course, and they will play hard. When was the last time any of these guys dominated any player or team? And THAT is the key to their focus.

like I said like I said after the Washington game. You really don't have any idea what you're talking about so you should just stop writing the bullshit that you write.

Morgan St. prediction?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT