ADVERTISEMENT

Think your team looks much improved

2020 48-42
2021 20-13
2022 52-17 led 17-14 half
yep shows RU regressed last year from omproving a little in 2020, continuong improvement in 2021 , then back to making complaints about the team and HC look vaild and wioe out thoughts of being good in the future.
Now good thoughts about the program are returning, but until the program convinces its fan base its upward bound skepticism will prevail and rightfully so .
RU fans have been in the dark so long that any light they see is taken for a mirage
Schiano and the players must prove that light is real and will stay on before positive attitudes will be the norm over the negative thoughts that [prevail bow concurnin the program becoming a winner

It didn’t move the needle either way. Want to show things have changed ? Get to 6 wins and maybe even knock off wisconsin or iowa.
It can happen
Plum Agreed it was a nothing game. It went how it was expected to go. We actually showed more last year before wearing down. We were dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Couldn’t run at all especially short yardage looks.
Gavin in year 3 looked better then last year but that’s not saying much because he was unplayable last year. We scored 40 sec into the game because a DB fell down.. We went 59:20 the rest of the way with ZERO points. Play calling still an issue and we continue to play not to loose big.
If you want to say we look better then last year, then ok. What is that really saying? We were a bottom 5 team in the country so I guess yes we are improved. Only one thing left to Chop.

Thank you for your input.
I just don’t see how this was any better than 2 years ago . We lost by 7 then down to the wire . Today we lost by 24 and the game was over after 3 quarters.
Two years ago, the thought here was that RU shot all of its load for the Michigan game. Then the bottom fell out.

Yesterday, other than a couple of questionable calls, esp that 4 and 2, the team is improving and it shows. Just need to get some missing pieces here and there but RU can still go bowling this year.

Hell even the refs got involved with that BS holding call on that second drive. Who knows how that second drive would’ve gone but there that HERE COMES THE REFS feeling that took some air out of that drive. That 4th and 2 took the rest out.

Your defense is solid, the rb is very good, the wrs made some tough catches and the quarterback has made some real strides. You looked like a solid B1G club, and your coach deserves credit for building your program back.

Really see no reason why you can’t win 7-8 games and finish in the top 6 or so of the league this year.

Good luck rest of the year.
You are very reasonable. you know more than some of our own “fans” that dispute everything you said.

Plum Agreed it was a nothing game. It went how it was expected to go. We actually showed more last year before wearing down. We were dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Couldn’t run at all especially short yardage looks.
Gavin in year 3 looked better then last year but that’s not saying much because he was unplayable last year. We scored 40 sec into the game because a DB fell down.. We went 59:20 the rest of the way with ZERO points. Play calling still an issue and we continue to play not to loose big.
If you want to say we look better then last year, then ok. What is that really saying? We were a bottom 5 team in the country so I guess yes we are improved. Only one thing left to Chop.
We are better than last year and Gavin is coming along nicely. Deal with it.

Geeze.. isn't Michigan much better now than it was 2 years ago? You might as well use Brady Hoke-led Michigan's loss to us as your gauge.
Really ? You are clueless ! Michigan won the east and was the BIG champion in 2021! They lost a playoff game to Georgia !
No guarantee they even do this in 2023 ! Do you not know this ?? You have been dismissed

We are better than last year and Gavin is coming along nicely. Deal with it.
It’s possible we are better than last year . It’s also possible we are not . The great thing is we will see . I think we are better than last year . But we need to go out and win those games that we can win. Yesterday doesn’t matter .

Really ? You are clueless ! Michigan won the east and was the BIG champion in 2021! They lost a playoff game to Georgia !
No guarantee they even do this in 2023 ! Do you not know this ?? You have been dismissed

Right - and we were otherwise undefeated. Destroyed Temple and Delaware. Syracuse wasn’t a terrible team either that we beat. We didn’t have a bad team two years ago. We had multiple injuries to the one position we could not afford them. And then AC went down too. If we had the OL we had for Michigan the whole season do you not agree we win at least 6? It’s a completely different team when you stack up in the trenches. We looked the part until we lost Sutton. Then O’Neal got hurt and we lost him for 3-4 games and then he was never quite the same even when he did return. It wasn’t that those guys were so great - it was that the back ups behind them were awful. That’s how you end up having an NFL caliber RB and it doesn’t much matter.

You are correct. For some reason I have forgotten Michigan beat OSU 2 years in a row. I thought it was just last year. And yet, they can still have a better team this year than then... but it is close enough to admit I was dead wrong.

It’s possible we are better than last year . It’s also possible we are not . The great thing is we will see . I think we are better than last year . But we need to go out and win those games that we can win. Yesterday doesn’t matter .
We are in the middle of a massive rebuild. You only have 12 chances to watch and evaluate this program. If you're only way of evaluating this program is as simplistic as whether the team won or lost, then a monkey could tell us if the program is getting better.

So Plum, if it's too much for you to watch a game and evaluate the progress of the program that's ok. Wait until the end of the year and let us know what the record is and tell us whether we are better than last year or not.

In the meantime, anyone who understands football could tell you that this team is better than the last few years in practically every facet of the game. A monkey can't tell you that now, only someone who understands football. Maybe you should try watching a game with someone who understands the finer points of football so they can explain it to you. I hate that you're missing out on all the good things that are happening.

I don’t think there’s any doubt the team is improved. The problem is that last year’s team was one of the nation’s worst. It will all come down to whether we’ve improved enough to win 2 more B1G games (and three overall) this season.

This year’s team is not comparable to last year’s right now (injuries always possible so I say “now”). It’s not even so much a knock on Simon’s abilities - when you go through all pre season expecting one guy (Noah) to be your starter with another guy (Gavin) getting more and more snaps as the season goes on - that’s what you prep for all off season. It’s really tough to throw a 3rd stringer out there and then we lost our projected starting position players too. Unless your a well established blue blood - pretty much any team is going to really struggle with that draw.

Having said this - it’s unfortunate we were dealt that hand in a year we had a pretty soft BIG west draw. Tough to go on the road to Wisconsin and Iowa this year. Then again - maybe Michigan State and Indiana are weaker this year so perhaps it evens out. We’ll see.

I’ll add - 2020 was not real. We got very lucky with Covid breaks / players out sick and many of the teams we played were not at full strength when we drew them. While the team was improved in 2020 and 2021 we did not have the depth to keep up all season long in the trenches. Our 2nd and 3rd string guys wouldn’t have started in the MAC. So when guys on our OL went down we had massive holes that couldn’t be overcome even by the best running backs.

Reactions: thegock
No one should get too worked up about today . A Chris Ash team once went into the BIg House and lost by less than what we did today. So stop jumping for joy. Let that sink in
yeah, he did slightly better one year, but it was against a Michigan team that entered the game 5-2, and finished the year 8-5, NOT ranked second in the country.

Tell me you see the difference.

Reactions: Knight Shift
We are in the middle of a massive rebuild. You only have 12 chances to watch and evaluate this program. If you're only way of evaluating this program is as simplistic as whether the team won or lost, then a monkey could tell us if the program is getting better.

So Plum, if it's too much for you to watch a game and evaluate the progress of the program that's ok. Wait until the end of the year and let us know what the record is and tell us whether we are better than last year or not.

In the meantime, anyone who understands football could tell you that this team is better than the last few years in practically every facet of the game. A monkey can't tell you that now, only someone who understands football. Maybe you should try watching a game with someone who understands the finer points of football so they can explain it to you. I hate that you're missing out on all the good things that are happening.
Agreed! I don't need to wait until the end of the season and see our record.... to tell me this team has improved in pretty much every facet of the game.

Reactions: Knight Shift
yeah, he did slightly better one year, but it was against a Michigan team that entered the game 5-2, and finished the year 8-5, NOT ranked second in the country.

Ok we played better two years ago and that Michigan team won the league
, went to the playoff and finished 3rd!

I think Plum’s point is accurate. He’s coming across negative here - but then on the other thread (Colorado comparative), I don’t think he’d support 95’s comment about Oregon just being better and they’d kill us by even more than they beat Colorado (for the same reason as this - silly comments). Overmatched is overmatched. It’s the other games that are going to tell the story of how much we’ve really improved.

All this said - another poster commented somewhere that we were one play from being “shut out”. In context of that particular comment, it should be noted that the 2017 Michigan team punted 8 TIMES in that closer MOV game - netting negative yardage on 5 of those series and never netting more than 20 or so positive yards. THAT team was completely shut down outside of the 2 scoring drives.

We didn’t have nearly as many opportunities on offense (only 7 drives the whole game). We scored or got inside Michigan’s 30 on 4 of them though. Even on the 3 punts - we were close to getting the first down on all of them except the one with the holding penalty (and we also had a false start). We weren’t completely overmatched at the line of scrimmage. We got a crap spot on the second punt with the 9 yard pick up and then we couldn’t pick up the 1st on 3rd and 1. The last punt also had a sloppy false start which prevented the first down. Obviously we need to clean these things up, but we really did move the ball pretty well overall.

Reactions: Plum Street
Ok we played better two years ago and that Michigan team won the league
, went to the playoff and finished 3rd!
I’m not talking about two years ago. You said Ash went in to Michigan and lost by less than we did last weekend.

The year was 2017 when we lost 35-14 under Ash, so yes, he did slightly better.

But that Michigan team in 2017 was 5-2 when we played…and ended 8-5. They were not nearly as good as the Michigan team is in 2023.

It was a worthless comment to make.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
I’m not talking about two years ago. You said Ash went in to Michigan and lost by less than we did last weekend.

The year was 2017 when we lost 35-14 under Ash, so yes, he did slightly better.

But that Michigan team in 2017 was 5-2 when we played…and ended 8-5. They were not nearly as good as the Michigan team is in 2023.

It was a worthless comment to make.
No, it wasn’t worthless . I don’t think Saturday showed us much either way

Reactions: RUDivision
Us losing six years ago by one touchdown less, to an inferior Michigan team then the team we faced on Saturday… is about as worthless a metaphor as I can think of.

And maybe it didn’t show YOU much, but you are clearly in the minority, because it sure showed other people a lot.

I don't think any one game shows much. A team's quality is, in large part, determined from its consistency. If the team gets to 6 wins, then it will have improved.

The play on the field has obviously improved some over last year. But the overall state of the program can only be judged fairly by statistical consistency across multiple years. Can the team reload every season and win at least 6 games per year? That would be a huge improvement over what we've had since joining the Big Ten.

Us losing six years ago by one touchdown less, to an inferior Michigan team then the team we faced on Saturday… is about as worthless a metaphor as I can think of.

And maybe it didn’t show YOU much, but you are clearly in the minority, because it sure showed other people a lot.
Hey - give us some credit- we lost by 3 points less total….

It didn’t. I do think there is reason for cautious optimism about the offensive performance though. When you break it down by series, we did a better job generally moving the ball against an elite team than we’ve done arguably since joining the BIG outside of the 2015 Michigan State game. And that one was a home game (I’m sure the crowd contributed to some of those false starts that stalled our offense).

Reactions: mildone
It didn’t. I do think there is reason for cautious optimism about the offensive performance though. When you break it down by series, we did a better job generally moving the ball against an elite team than we’ve done arguably since joining the BIG outside of the 2015 Michigan State game. And that one was a home game (I’m sure the crowd contributed to some of those false starts that stalled our offense).
The D is solid this year, although they were pretty solid year, except when worn down. But the players this year are older and we have some key players back from injury.

IMO, the O shows the most improvement, especially at OL and at QB/WR. Last year, I held my breath every time one of our QBs was about to throw. The throws were often made under intense pressure, the WRs and the QBs often seemed to be on different pages, the passes were often off-target and/or the WRs didn't adjust to or fight for the ball.

This year, the OL is much better so far, the QB has more time and the RBs have a bit more room. The WRs are getting a bit more separation, the routes seem more productive, and the WRs are doing a bit better job of adjusting to the play/throw and fighting for the ball. Still a few cases of QB/WR on different pages, but far less than it seemed last year.

To me, those are the most obvious improvements over last season. But... we haven't really seen enough play against really tough competition to say if those improvements will be enough to compete when the opponents are playing well themselves. And while we did a bit better moving the ball against UM, we still came away with far too few points to pose a serious challenge.

So we need to wait and see what happens after next week. I'm staying in neutral about the progress until I see if there is consistency against equal or better competition. There's only one more "expected" win and the rest will be battles.

shown us that the RU D was good enough , but the RU O needs to improve to make sure the D can hold down the score against top opponents.

Rutgers is showing improvement, but still has a way to go to make the skeptics turn positive.

4 things we really needed to see this year.
1) GW needed to show he belonged - he has done that
2) OL needed to get MUCH better - night and day difference. Not only playing better as a group but penalties are almost zilch
3) WR's needed to improve, drops and routes - Another night and day and we are missing our main guy. But routes are looking good and crisp, guys getting open with almost no drops(that is also because of GW too)
4) Some depth on D...I think we have been seeing some good rotations in there. Also- a guy like Dixon has helped a ton. Love that we almost never have to hear anything about Melton or Longerbeam

We also thought we may have a huge dip in ST's- but somehow, we replaced Korsack. I also think Patel will be a very good one and when allowed, we can kick every ball out of the endzone.

Are we as good as the elites in any or all of these areas? No- but are we better than we have seen since maybe 2014- hell yes. And maybe that does or does not translate to 3 more wins but anyone with eyes can see where we have improved.

This is the first season in a long time (yes, maybe 2014) where I feel there is a chance for a win in every game (not including the big three). Maryland looks like the toughest of those remaining opponents, and we get them at home.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and Kbee3
If you look at the score, it was pretty terrible. It tells you on a neutral field we might squeak by Bowling Green and UNLV. We might beat East Carolina by a field goal or so. Watching the first third of the season though tells you right now this is a significantly improved team from what we’ve seen the last few years as well as during the Ash years. Yes folks, a third of the season is gone. But that doesn’t mean we’re going bowling or the trajectory will remain up. Things are all very fluid and matchups mean a lot and injuries mean a lot.

If you look at the score, it was pretty terrible. It tells you on a neutral field we might squeak by Bowling Green and UNLV. We might beat East Carolina by a field goal or so. Watching the first third of the season though tells you right now this is a significantly improved team from what we’ve seen the last few years as well as during the Ash years. Yes folks, a third of the season is gone. But that doesn’t mean we’re going bowling or the trajectory will remain up. Things are all very fluid and matchups mean a lot and injuries mean a lot.
BS
Michigan took their 1st Team players out of the UNLV, Bowling Green, and East Carolina games in the 3rd Qtr. Against Rutgers they played the whole game.
We roll those 3 teams.

BS
Michigan took their 1st Team players out of the UNLV, Bowling Green, and East Carolina games in the 3rd Qtr. Against Rutgers they played the whole game.
We roll those 3 teams.
I think you missed my point. Yes, I think we would comfortably beat all those teams. But if you didn’t watch the fame and only assess by the score, it looked awfully $hitty

I don’t think there’s any doubt the team is improved. The problem is that last year’s team was one of the nation’s worst. It will all come down to whether we’ve improved enough to win 2 more B1G games (and three overall) this season.
Sure … then you can post for the 3rd time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT