ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts of A Recruit- Going to a "Big Time" Program

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
A couple of interesting thoughts from him in Todderick's story today on Christian Mahogany :
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...ves_up_for_christian_mahogany_after_barb.html

"Rutgers is close to home, they have one of the best business programs in the country. There is also an opportunity to compete right away and I know a lot of people there."

While Rutgers and a number of other schools are recruiting Mahogany to play offensive guard, Syracuse likes him at tackle -- a position he believes holds more value.

"I'm not gonna lie, I want to play tackle and that part of what has me high on Syracuse - that they want me to play offensive tackle," he said.
QUESTION- why not let him play tackle?

Mahogany is more interested in playing somewhere that he can contribute and not the biggest name school just because.

"If that weren't the case, I would have already committed to Vanderbilt because it's an SEC school. Plus, I have family out there" he said. "But I want to make sure I go somewhere I can contribute immediately. I don't want to pick school because of the name."

COMMENT- Really? Vanderbilt is a big name school just because it is SEC? But this just shows that some (maybe most) top recruits think about going to the biggest name school they can--and Rutgers is not there yet.

He will be releasing his top 6 list soon, and Rutgers, Vanderbilt and Syracuse will be on it.

Last edited:
You may disagree about his ratings of college football programs but that interview struck me as one with a kid that really has his head screwed on straight.

That was more of a shot at the big 10 than RU. While the big 10 east may be the best division in college football, I would say the majority of people view the sec as the mountaintop of college football.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
You may disagree about his ratings of college football programs but that interview struck me as one with a kid that really has his head screwed on straight.
Agree 100%. The young man is considering all of his options and doing his research. He did say that RU had one of the best business programs in the country, an RU was high on his list.

I dunno, Vandy seems like a good deal to me.

SEC exposure and a Vandy degree if the NFL doesn’t pan out.

I think some of you are missing his point. Vandy is in the SEC and that's the best conference in his opinion so it would put Vandy way ahead of RU or Sorrycuse if he were looking at it only from a big name aspect.

Reactions: KevH
That was more of a shot at the big 10 than RU. While the big 10 east may be the best division in college football, I would say the majority of people view the sec as the mountaintop of college football.
Agreed. SEC rules college football whether RU fans like it or not. In my personal view, the SEC, B1G and PAC12 are superior to the Big 12 and ACC.

Elite Teams:
SEC:
Alabama- elitist of the elite
Georgia
Florida- currently down but not out
Auburn
LSU
ATM? - down but not out

B1G:
Ohio State- elitist of the elite
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State (newcomer)
Wisconsin
Nebraska (down but not out)

PAC12:
UCLA
USC
Stanford
Arguable- UW (newcomer) and Oregon (trending down)

Big 12:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas (down but not out)

ACC:
Clemson
FSU (down but not out)
Miami
maybe Virginia Tech

Last edited:
Reactions: cicero grimes
For parents, thanks to ESPN with their endless promotions to prop up the SEC, and the old rigged BCS system to rank those schools as high as possible no matter what, many/most parents think that SEC= College Football. They don't really get that there are 4 other Power conferences and besides 2-3 SEC teams that are legit elite, they are not really the best anymore and haven't been since the BCS went away.

It is all about marketing, and SEC is just the top brand for CFB right now. Fair or not, when non fans think of college football they think of the SEC.

So unless the Big Ten starts winning a lot of National Championships that won't change.

Not having a Big Ten school make the playoffs last year is not helping.

Comcast playing hard ball with FOX and removing BTN across the country is not helping at all.

I don't understand some of the people on here. Bashing kids on here and imposing their beliefs upon the teenager's decisions. If you aren't the player or the parent you have no idea what goes into their decisions so stay out of it and stop questioning their decisions. Its their life not yours.

Agreed. SEC rules college football whether RU fans like it or not. In my personal view, the SEC, B1G and PAC12 are superior to the Big 12 and ACC.

Elite Teams:
SEC:
Alabama- elitist of the elite
Georgia
Florida- currently down but not out
Auburn
LSU
ATM? - down but not out

B1G:
Ohio State- elitist of the elite
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State (newcomer)

PAC12:
UCLA
USC
Stanford
Arguable- UW (newcomer) and Oregon (trending down)

Big 12:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas (down but not out)

ACC:
Clemson
FSU (down but not out)
Miami
maybe Virginia Tech

You're missing Wisconsin from the B1G list. Wisconsin just may be playing for an NC this year dependent on their defense. Historically they're just as good as a number of schools on the list from other conferences.

Also, if you're going to have Florida on the SEC Elite List and UCLA on the PAC12 List, might as well add Nebraska to the List as Down but not Out.

You're missing Wisconsin from the B1G list. Wisconsin just may be playing for an NC this year dependent on their defense. Historically they're just as good as a number of schools on the list from other conferences.

Also, if you're going to have Florida on the SEC Elite List and UCLA on the PAC12 List, might as well add Nebraska to the List as Down but not Out.
I actually just edited that list before I saw your post to do that exact thing.

And as to my original post, I am not criticizing the young man's view of the world. It is out there, and subject to discussion. The main point is that many recruits view anything SEC to be going to "Big Time" football. That is what RU is up against in recruiting. Kids want to go out of state. The best kids want to play for the best teams or in the best conference. The view of what is best is subject to debate and discussion, and I actually agree that the SEC is arguably (or at least strongly perceived to be) the best conference.

The script could be flipped to then say--why not Rutgers in arguably the best division in P5 football. One of Chris Ash's selling points has been the life after football program, and from Mahogany's comments, he seems to be genuinely interested in what RU has to offer here.

I hope Mahogany comes to RU, and would love to see him laying the wood on some DL of our opponents.

Reactions: RURM85
I actually just edited that list before I saw your post to do that exact thing.

And as to my original post, I am not criticizing the young man's view of the world. It is out there, and subject to discussion. The main point is that many recruits view anything SEC to be going to "Big Time" football. That is what RU is up against in recruiting. Kids want to go out of state. The best kids want to play for the best teams or in the best conference. The view of what is best is subject to debate and discussion, and I actually agree that the SEC is arguably (or at least strongly perceived to be) the best conference.

The script could be flipped to then say--why not Rutgers in arguably the best division in P5 football. One of Chris Ash's selling points has been the life after football program, and from Mahogany's comments, he seems to be genuinely interested in what RU has to offer here.

I hope Mahogany comes to RU, and would love to see him laying the wood on some DL of our opponents.

Completely agree noting that this year, a number of media experts have stated they believe the Big Ten is the best conference in college football. A lot has to do with coaching and I think we're going to see the B1G West start to ascend. The coaching is much better with Frost, Brohm, Fitz, Chryst, Ferentz (He knows who is team is and they do it well) and Fleck. IMO the jury is out on Lovie.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Completely agree noting that this year, a number of media experts have stated they believe the Big Ten is the best conference in college football. A lot has to do with coaching and I think we're going to see the B1G West start to ascend. The coaching is much better with Frost, Brohm, Fitz, Chryst, Ferentz (He knows who is team is and they do it well) and Fleck. IMO the jury is out on Lovie.

Also, for many people, the what have you done for me lately syndrome plays in. Some would argue FSU and Florida are not elite. They are down, and likely not out. Same for Nebraska as you pointed out.

Iowa and Ferentz are interesting. He has been there since 1999. 1-10, 3-9, 7-5 and then BAM!, 11-2. (May RU be on the same trajectory). Iowa seems to cycle around 7-5 to 9-4 seasons mostly, with an 11-2 or 10-2 finish every 5 or 6 years.
Jury is definitely out on Lovie and too soon to call on Fleck. If he does what he did at WMU, he will be a hot commodity and go to the SEC to coach in a truly elite conference. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: RURM85
A couple of interesting thoughts from him in Todderick's story today on Christian Mahogany :
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...ves_up_for_christian_mahogany_after_barb.html

"Rutgers is close to home, they have one of the best business programs in the country. There is also an opportunity to compete right away and I know a lot of people there."

While Rutgers and a number of other schools are recruiting Mahogany to play offensive guard, Syracuse likes him at tackle -- a position he believes holds more value.

"I'm not gonna lie, I want to play tackle and that part of what has me high on Syracuse - that they want me to play offensive tackle," he said.
QUESTION- why not let him play tackle?

Mahogany is more interested in playing somewhere that he can contribute and not the biggest name school just because.

"If that weren't the case, I would have already committed to Vanderbilt because it's an SEC school. Plus, I have family out there" he said. "But I want to make sure I go somewhere I can contribute immediately. I don't want to pick school because of the name."

COMMENT- Really? Vanderbilt is a big name school just because it is SEC? But this just shows that some (maybe most) top recruits think about going to the biggest name school they can--and Rutgers is not there yet.

He will be releasing his top 6 list soon, and Rutgers, Vanderbilt and Syracuse will be on it.

The kid didn't say Vanderbilt has the biggest name. What he said was that he wasn't going to pick a school based upon its name. We don't know what the question he was responding to was because Hunt didn't give it to us.

It's not for any of us to judge any kid's criteria.

Reactions: WhiteBus
kid has his head on straight and non lamenting Vandy as a big time school need to have their head examined. Vandy degree, SEC and some recent success whereas RU degree is worth less, bad football etc.

BigG is awesome yes but SEC is no slouch

kid has his head on straight and non lamenting Vandy as a big time school need to have their head examined. Vandy degree, SEC and some recent success whereas RU degree is worth less, bad football etc.

BigG is awesome yes but SEC is no slouch
Wrong again, sport:
https://thebestschools.org/rankings/best-universities-world-today/
RU #32, Vanderbilt #96
Recent success? 5-7 and 1-7 OK? Or maybe this recent success?:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ayer-found-guilty-in-rape-of-unconscious-stud
RU a RU fan or just a troll?

Last edited:
As we begin August, Xcuse turns their attention to the first snow. Hope you have put up enough Moose meat to sustain the dumb Long Island "student" base. [poop][poop][poop]

Wrong again, sport:
RU #32, Vanderbilt #96
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ayer-found-guilty-in-rape-of-unconscious-stud
You bust someone elses chops in a thread you start calling out a high school kid. You are the ahole that started this thread breaking a kids decisions. You have the problem.

Now if only people in Nashville gave a damn about Vandy and Vandy football.

Florida State is "down but not out" or "not elite?"

Lulz

I think if you have a national championship, Heisman winner and multiple first round picks in the last 5 years you're an elite program.

Florida State is "down but not out" or "not elite?"

Lulz

I think if you have a national championship, Heisman winner and multiple first round picks in the last 5 years you're an elite program.
Reading comprehension is your friend.
They are elite, but currently down.
And wtf is a lulz?

Reading comprehension is your friend.
They are elite, but currently down.
And wtf is a lulz?

They are down?

They lost their head coach and their starting QB

FSU is the most consistently elite program in college football over the last 35 years.

The Difference between RU and the SEC.

Vandy has men who will give you a bag of money if you say you'll commit to them.

Rutgers has men who will give you a bag with a Fat Cat if you give them $9.

Reactions: ScarletStateofNJ
They are down?

They lost their head coach and their starting QB

FSU is the most consistently elite program in college football over the last 35 years.
Reasonable people could disagree, but going 7-6 and 3-5 in the weak ACC conference could be seen as being down. Sure, they lost a HC and a QB.
So did RU, and that does not stop our fans from pissing and moaning about how putrid we are and how our current HC is to blame.
FSU should rebound, but if they have another similar season, are they not down?
When was the last time Alabama had a down season?
Peace. But really, what's a lulz. LOL, ROFLMAO-got it. But lulz? Only see that from you.

Wrong again, sport:
RU #32, Vanderbilt #96
Vanderbilt is an excellent school with an excellent reputation. You're being disingenuous here. He also lauded RU in his comments.

The kid has his head on straight and is certainly doing his diligence when picking a school. Whatever school gets him will be getting a win. I see no problem with his comments. Hopefully RU wins this one.

Reasonable people could disagree, but going 7-6 and 3-5 in the weak ACC conference could be seen as being down. Sure, they lost a HC and a QB.
So did RU, and that does not stop our fans from pissing and moaning about how putrid we are and how our current HC is to blame.
FSU should rebound, but if they have another similar season, are they not down?
When was the last time Alabama had a down season?
Peace. But really, what's a lulz. LOL, ROFLMAO-got it. But lulz? Only see that from you.

It can only be seen as down by someone grasping to make a point.

They are the most consistent program over the last 35 years. More consistent than Bama or OSU.

The last time Bama was down was before Saban. Is Jimbo Saban? Of course not. But he ain't far off. Losing him and some assistants plus the starting QB is as good a reason as any to give them a pass for a year. They also had multiple injuries on defense

I don't do ROFLMAO ever under any circumstance

Lulz is the equivalent of "the point you're making is so stupid your buddies would probably duct tape you to a tree" if you said it front of them

If he indeed chooses Vandy, that kid is on his way to winning at life...so would a choice of RU...but make no mistake Vanderbilt is a great choice if academics (not the brain drain called the NFL) is what you place emphasis on!

If he indeed chooses Vandy, that kid is on his way to winning at life...so would a choice of RU...but make no mistake Vanderbilt is a great choice if academics (not the brain drain called the NFL) is what you place emphasis on!

SPP QB, who had P5 offers, just committed to Navy. Joins Oben who committed to Duke and Chase Jones who picked Wake Forest. All kids could have chosen better football schools.

Regardless of what any one off ranking says, Vanderbilt is an elite school.

You can't blame kids who pick elite schools.

Why is anyone citing college rankings? When one comes out we don't like, we minimize its importance and question its formula. When one comes out we do like, it's the be-all and end-all of all college rankings and throw the number around like ... well, I won't go there. :)

How many times can we say this? EVERY kid will have his own priorities, as will every parent. The fact that he is looking at the positives of each school and how much of an impact they will have on him shows a heck of a lot more judgment than a lot of recruits. All someone has to say is "I want to rep Jersey" and we cream all over ourselves. Give me a kid who looks at all of the possibilities, sketches out which set of factors will work best for HIM and makes a decision. And hopefully it's Rutgers.

And another thing -- sure we know how great the Big Ten East is. But not making the playoffs has become everything now. The Big 12 decided it needed another "data point." The Pac-12 has become almost desperate. All because of the first or second time they didn't have a team in the playoffs. This year, the Big Ten is feeling it. But the SEC is always there. Hasn't always made sense (I still think USC had a better resume than Alabama last year) but there they are. And Vanderbilt (scene of an RU WTF loss back in the day) is a great school that not long ago went bowling under you-know-who. So it is possible.

I wish the kid all the luck in the world.

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT