ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Fire HC Steve Owens is now!

oceanbackstop

Redshirt
Silver Member
May 1, 2024
Ocean
OK. Enough, It's time to FIRE HC Steve Owens! He's had 5 years here and finally cycled through the previous regimes recruits. This is his recruits and his team and they finished in second to last place in the B1G10 -Unacceptable. He is the highest paid public baseball coach in NJ and I know 20 NJ coaches who could do better. I want my tax money back -I'm tired of paying his salary. I'm also sick of Owens getting schooled by better B1G coaches - Rick Heller, Will Bolt, Dan Hartleb, Erik Bakich, Rob Vaughn, Mercer from Indiana. He doesn't coach fundamentals. He doesn't know a squeeze play, hit and run from an orange. He'll never get in the NCAA's cause he purposely plays a cupcake schedule! Wake up HOBBS-I thought you were about winning programs. It's time for Owens to stop blaming the players and own it- Its tough to take responsibility that's why he's so soft. Has he ever taken responsibility for a loss or bad season? never -most selfish coach in NCAA. Hobbs this isn't a lifetime appointment -Lets find a winner -Get rid of Owens!

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
I love the “I want my taxes back that pay his salary” line. I’ll write him a check for the .000001% of his taxes that go to RU sports. So dumb.

Reactions: Leonard23
What legit college baseball coach would want to coach at Rutgers’ baseball field that makes Rutgers Newark field at Weequahic Park look like Yankee Stadium?

Reactions: BrianLeonard23
Going 6-18 in conference games, and elite NJ prep players heading out of state, and not being able to turn the transfer portal into a plus would have most ADs assembling a Plan B. Coming in 12th in a 13 team conference is awful.

Ding ding ding! Thread over…
And IDC what anyone says, to waste resources to build and play their games at Middlesex CC instead of simply adding bleachers to their current baseball field to at least start building up that field like MLB The Show (sad comparison but true) is asinine.

And IDC what anyone says, to waste resources to build and play their games at Middlesex CC instead of simply adding bleachers to their current baseball field to at least start building up that field like MLB The Show (sad comparison but true) is asinine.
it's my understanding that Rutgers is not building that ballpark, Middlesex county is and RU will just play some games there until the planned renovation of
Bainton Field is done

Let’s all chip in.
I have a buddy that is a big Notre Dame fan who was always bitching about how much in taxes he pays for Rutgers sports. After someone posted the numbers a few years back and came up with 75 cents a year, every time I went out with him I'd throw 3 quarters in my pocket waiting for the magic words. I finally got the chance to slap those quarters on the table one night and haven't heard a peep about the Rutgers sports budget since.

I have a buddy that is a big Notre Dame fan who was always bitching about how much in taxes he pays for Rutgers sports. After someone posted the numbers a few years back and came up with 75 cents a year, every time I went out with him I'd throw 3 quarters in my pocket waiting for the magic words. I finally got the chance to slap those quarters on the table one night and haven't heard a peep about the Rutgers sports budget since.
Kudos....slapping a one dollar note followed by "keep the change" is another to way deliver the message to the complainers

New pitching coach Mike McCrae we can only hope he’s the guy who can raise the level of Rutgers pitching staff .

Reactions: Bobbynieds
RU did not pay 1 cent to build or play in the new complex in Edison.

why do so many people not realize this?
They really don’t follow the Rutgers baseball program. It was a big story 2 months ago and actually is only a short distance away from campus. It also allows this program some time until money can be allocated to finish Bainton Field.

RU did not pay 1 cent to build or play in the new complex in Edison.
Only complaint with the facility is that it’s a boondoggle. I like the idea of a multi use facility. But building a baseball/soccer complex for Middlesex County College and the one off tournament will not result in a return on investment.

Only complaint with the facility is that it’s a boondoggle. I like the idea of a multi use facility. But building a baseball/soccer complex for Middlesex County College and the one off tournament will not result in a return on investment.
Return on investment is infinite in this case.

The baseball field ( Bainton) will be by finished Fall 2028…How’s that for a guess… a little at a time.

Return on investment is infinite in this case.
It’s Middlesex county. There will be serious cost overruns, 100’s of no show jobs, It won’t be maintained and will be closed before it officially opens. Haahahah.

The cost of the project was projected to be $70mm in August 2023 when announced and November 2023 they bonded for $200mm.

Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Can you show the numbers getting to 75 cents? This figure is senseless.

Rutgers athletics financial statements and its 2024 budget show figures many multiples of that.

For example, the 2024 budget shows an athletic department loss of $35 million. That is $4 per New Jersey resident.

Please let us know the 75 cent figure. This does not add up.

Rutgers athletics financial statements and its 2024 budget show figures many multiples of that.

For example, the 2024 budget shows an athletic department loss of $35 million. That is $4 per New Jersey resident.

Let me know the next time you are in the New Brunswick area. I'll spot you the $4.

Because as it was explained. It’s not based on what the athletic department “loses ”. It’s based on what the state of NJ taxpayers spend on subsidizing Rutgers University and then what Rutgers spends on athletics as part of their overall budget.

From what I remember it comes out to much less than .75/ resident.

Last edited:
Because as it was explained. It’s not based on what the athletic department “loses ”. It’s based on what the state of NJ taxpayers spend on subsidizing Rutgers University and then what Rutgers spends on athletics as part of their overall budget.

From what I remember it comes out to much less than .75/ resident.
Yes we have seen that math posted here. It goes like this:

Rutgers athletics operating loss / NJ population = $35 million / 9 million = $4.
$4 * 20% state subsidy to Rutgers = $1

A lot of fuzzy math in college sports.

Nah

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT