ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean Fired

Jones was canned after 5 seasons...he had won 19 games or more the previous 4 years before 10 wins this year...1 NCAA and 1 NIT, its not a great job really, Marshall can do way better than that...he can go to NCState....the SEC is a lesser conference of the Power 6..some years they only get 4 schools out of 14. Pretty tough to break in when Florida and Kentucky are in most years, 12 schools fighting for 2 spots..why would a coach want that

Jones only made 1.1 million at LSU before he got a raise when he was extanded two years back to 2019 at 1.5...they are not paying $3 or 4 million which it would take for Marshall to leave

Lol, I go to the Indiana rivals site and on the front page they have a coaching hot board article with a picture of Billy Donovan. Talk about delusional.

well if he wanted to get back into college coaching....not saying he is interested but they could throw everything at him. Indiana still feels like they are royalty but that ship has sailed somewhat. Its still one of the top programs of all times, but that alone will not land the top coaches..they should go for Alford

Chris Holtmann, Chris Mack, Archie Miller. I suspect all of them are on Indiana's list and one of them would probably accept.

I am extremely curious who they legitimately think they can attract and if there are any other non-ridiculous names they will go after.

I think they will reach for the names on this list: Donovan, Alford, etc. but I highly doubt any of them take the job unless they are unhappy where they are.

IU is one of the best jobs in the country. They will find a good coach. I think Alford would jump at the chance to go home and coach that team.

This was an unusual year in the Valley.

Usually it's a 2 bid league however if Marshall wants to leave I could see him being a natural at a place like LSU.

Archie Miller fits at Indiana as would Alford if he wants it.
Marshall isn't leaving WSU for LSU. No chance. He turned down something like $4 million from Alabama last season.

I do think how the selection committee screws WSU could ultimately lead to his moving on, however he isn't going to leave for just any job.

Indiana is somewhere I could see, but I don't know the AD situation there.

To go toe to toe with Coach K and Roy he could take the NC State job, but their AD is brutal and I don't think he'd go for that.

These high level mid major jobs are better jobs than pressure cooker second tier P5 jobs with unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: bac2therac
Another major opening.

Tom Crean's greatest skill was looking like Butthead from Bevis & Butthead. Coaching wise, he married the Harbaughs' sister...so he was close to good coaches all the time, but never was one.

IMG_20151030_020453.jpg

Clearly #1 on Indiana's wish list is Indiana native and alum Steve Alford. Have to think their fans would be upset at any one else (outside of pipe dreams like Stevens and Donovan).

Miller or Wright would be out of their minds to take the Indiana job. I think you are going to see a lot more coaches like Few staying with a good situation like they have instead of having to prove themselves all over again. I would be beyond shocked if Wright took it at his age why add that kind of stress to your life when you are already in a good situation and well paid already.

Reactions: RU_Planning
Why in the world would he want that, though? He has an incredibly bright future in Boston. The team is good, Isiah Thomas is great, and they have the Nets draft pick this draft. Things are looking good.

$$$$$ and the realization that the NBA is totally different than college????

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Can't see it-----could see him replacing Coach K at Duke one day but not going back to IU.

No chance Stevens leaves. His team's trajectory is on the right path and they'll have top lottery picks the next two years. They also will have cap space to maneuver after they let Isaiah Thomas walk this off season.

Very few head coaches like recruiting, particularly at the highest level when you have to deal with handlers and AAU programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Celtics have improved considerably since he took over.

They have had New Jersey's draft pick the last two years I would hope they have improved. It was considered a total bust last year when they could not even win their first playoff series. I like Stevens but have not been totally impressed with the job he has done with the celtics. I think considerable improvement would mean you won at least one playoff series.

They have had New Jersey's draft pick the last two years I would hope they have improved. It was considered a total bust last year when they could not even win their first playoff series. I like Stevens but have not been totally impressed with the job he has done with the celtics. I think considerable improvement would mean you won at least one playoff series.
Over his 4 seasons he has increased the # of wins every season, from 25 to 40 to 48 to likely 52 this season.

He was a 5 seed (underdog) in the playoffs last season and lost in 6 games to a very experienced Hawks team.

They will likely be a 2 seed this year, so of course they must win at least the first round (really 2 rounds).

His star players are a 5'9" guard and a 30 year old glue guy. The Celtic's first lottery pick from the Nets trade is a rookie this season in what wasn't a deep draft. They still have a lottery pick this season and a potential lottery pick next season from the trade.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: rubaseball78
The allure of home must be strong--

but UCLA is also one of the plum bball jobs in the country. Alford is going to be supplied with Ball brothers for the next couple of years and Bloomington is a nice college town but it's not exactly Bel Air.

Reactions: RUJMM78
I thought Stevens would have been a candidate two years ago, but Crean the next year won the B1G.....and the worse kept NBA secret is Gordon Hayward is a free agent after this season and will be joining the Celtics and Stevens for next season. He will make the Celtics a more legitimate threat to eventually bypass the Cavs, once Lebron starts to slow down a bit.

Alford wants the job, it's just a matter of how fast UCLA gets eliminated from the tournament. he can resign, ala Cuonzo Martin, which will eliminate the buyout of 7-8M that Indiana would have to pay to free him up.

Chris Mack will wait for Thad Matta to step down after another year or two, it's clear that Matta's back issues will not keep him healthy to continue on with the Ohio State job.

He currently has a $22 million contract and he's in line for a big raise very soon. I don't think they will pay him enough for that to make sense.

Obviously the game is very different, but he was quite happy to make the jump before. I doubt he's unhappy with a very good situation.

I'm more than happy with the guy we have now. But if we were in the market, I wouldn't mind if we hired Crean

I've always heard that Marshall's wife was a bit of a handful, but here is some evidence. I've read that during his Winthrop success this in large part made higher profile programs shy away.

These are the names being thrown around for Cal......Randy Bennett, Eric Musselman, Russell Turner, Steve Lavin, Joe Pasternack, Kyle Smith

Looks like to me that Alford is taking the Indiana job. He was just asked about it in his post game interview and he didn't exactly deny it. Reports are that Indiana has already offered him a contract.

ADVERTISEMENT