ADVERTISEMENT

Top 15 Indoor Practice Facilities

For utility, the bubble is adequate. However, any recruit visiting, PSU, UM, and OSUs indoor facility, then visiting the bubble, isn't going to have a favorable impression of Rutgers. That's part of the reason they've been cleaning our clock in recruiting.

What else is Ash going to say about the bubble. He has to recruit. We have to do the best we can to keep up, otherwise we'll fall behind. So yes, we have to raise 25M plus on top of the $75M were already trying to raise. 1,000 people giving 10K over 5 years gets it done.

With only 9K donors, and Ash and Pikiell now onboard, there is a huge opportunity to significantly expand our donor base.
As I said, indoor facility is way down the list for both Hobbs and recruits. The bubble is not the reason we have been crushed in recruiting. Do we have to have 100k stadium as well. I mean that's what are peers have. ASU bubble is a dump and it's their primary practice facility. It's also a 10 minute walk from their locker room across a busy street. How are they recruiting so well? Their weight room looks like Don Bosco's and is actually under ground. Not to mention your Hurricanes who until recently had some of the worst facilities in America.

Last edited:
When they build the monorail, they could add stops at the Hale Center and the Bubble.
Or we could just put in a Skywalk from the Hale Center to the Bubble and call it the Mrs. Screw Catwalk.[laughing]

As I said, indoor facility is way down the list for both Hobbs and recruits. The bubble is not the reason we have been crushed in recruiting. Do we have to have 100k stadium as well. I mean that's what are peers have. ASU bubble is a dump and it's their primary practice facility. It's also a 10 minute walk from their locker room across a busy street. How are they recruiting so well? Their weight room looks like Don Bosco's and is actually under ground. Not to mention your Hurricanes who until recently had some of the worst facilities in America.

We don't recruit against ASU. We do recruit against OSU, Michigan, and PSU, and we need similar caliber facilities to compete with them. Stadium size doesn't matter for now, but hopefully we can build the business case to expand capacity in the next 5-10 years.

I understand that the indoor facility is not a priority for now. But we have to do our best to make sure that higher priorities are completed as soon as possible. The bubble is not an asset to our recruiting efforts. It's a liability. Sure coaching, the program, and tradition of success may be more important to recruits, but facilities are also an important part of the value proposition, we offer.

Penn States Holuba hall has two indoor football fields. Michigans facility has two indoor football fields. The bubble is just one football field.

Nice weather has always explained why Miami and ASU have been able to recruit. Miami has had competitive facilities since 2001. Now their facilities are especially nice, after the opening of the Schwartz Center in 2013. They are currently fundraising for an indoor practice facility.

We don't recruit against ASU. We do recruit against OSU, Michigan, and PSU, and we need similar caliber facilities to compete with them. Stadium size doesn't matter for now, but hopefully we can build the business case to expand capacity in the next 5-10 years.

I understand that the indoor facility is not a priority for now. But we have to do our best to make sure that higher priorities are completed as soon as possible. The bubble is not an asset to our recruiting efforts. It's a liability. Sure coaching, the program, and tradition of success may be more important to recruits, but facilities are also an important part of the value proposition, we offer.

Penn States Holuba hall has two indoor football fields. Michigans facility has two indoor football fields. The bubble is just one football field.

Nice weather has always explained why Miami and ASU have been able to recruit. Miami has had competitive facilities since 2001. Now their facilities are especially nice, after the opening of the Schwartz Center in 2013. They are currently fundraising for an indoor practice facility.

So your favorite team still has to raise the money for an indoor facility but the bubble is a liability? Also The U and ASU both use need indoor facilities more than we do because of their oppressive heat. Yes, ASU doesn't recruit against OSU, Michigan, or PSU they recruit against Oregon who has the nicest facilities in the country.

I find it really interesting that I share an article and the opinion that is perceived as "keeping up with the Jones's" and that i am asking for too much. The bottom line is if we want to compete and be "winners" in recruiting and building a program we MUST have a top facility. When i keep hearing that the bubble is good enough b/c of what ASU has i laugh. Acceptance of mediocre is the thought pattern of a loser, someone who is OK with getting by or just playing the part. I don't hire that type and if they get in the door they are quickly rooted out. Losers are losers, you either win and strive to win or you give up and roll over. So to all of you who think RU should crawl back into the bubble should just roll over and expect to take if from the rest of the world. You are the type's that get ran over in life and will continue to look for excuses and validation that getting by is ok. It is not!

Reactions: jorand
I find it really interesting that I share an article and the opinion that is perceived as "keeping up with the Jones's" and that i am asking for too much. The bottom line is if we want to compete and be "winners" in recruiting and building a program we MUST have a top facility. When i keep hearing that the bubble is good enough b/c of what ASU has i laugh. Acceptance of mediocre is the thought pattern of a loser, someone who is OK with getting by or just playing the part. I don't hire that type and if they get in the door they are quickly rooted out. Losers are losers, you either win and strive to win or you give up and roll over. So to all of you who think RU should crawl back into the bubble should just roll over and expect to take if from the rest of the world. You are the type's that get ran over in life and will continue to look for excuses and validation that getting by is ok. It is not!
Sorry but your article makes you look more stupid than smart. Yes, other programs have better facilities. Shocker. I'm a pretty successful guy with a great office but I don't have glass walls that tint on command or fish tanks that change color and rotate towards the sun. Does that make me a loser because I know people with those features? Our true fans would kill to have ASU success..I'm sorry you can't accept we have better facilities.

al, if we get the monorail to connect the bubble and the Hale Center, the coolness factor will be a major asset.

Sorry but your article makes you look more stupid than smart. Yes, other programs have better facilities. Shocker. I'm a pretty successful guy with a great office but I don't have glass walls that tint on command or fish tanks that change color and rotate towards the sun. Does that make me a loser because I know people with those features? Our true fans would kill to have ASU success..I'm sorry you can't accept we have better facilities.
The fact that we are using ASU as a basis of emulation is the problem. ASU is NOT a top tier program, they aren't even in consideration as a top PAC12 team annually. Why not try to be Pitt or Washington by your logic. While these schools have had limited success, they are not top programs. This fan base wants to be on par with Ohio State, ND, Alabama, etc... So we have to act like it, invest like it, and win like it or we shouldn't bother being in the game. As far as your comment about the office setting, that tells me you don't understand what i am getting at. The mindset is the critical piece that is missing. If you want to win you have to have a vision, a fight, and a willingness to understand what it takes, irrespective of the effort that maybe needed.

I like what Clemson did with their facilitie.

The fact that we are using ASU as a basis of emulation is the problem. ASU is NOT a top tier program, they aren't even in consideration as a top PAC12 team annually. Why not try to be Pitt or Washington by your logic. While these schools have had limited success, they are not top programs. This fan base wants to be on par with Ohio State, ND, Alabama, etc... So we have to act like it, invest like it, and win like it or we shouldn't bother being in the game. As far as your comment about the office setting, that tells me you don't understand what i am getting at. The mindset is the critical piece that is missing. If you want to win you have to have a vision, a fight, and a willingness to understand what it takes, irrespective of the effort that maybe needed.
Anybody in this fan base who thinks we are going to be on par with ND, Bama, and OSU is delusional. NJ doesn't have the resources or stomach to compete at that level. Anybody who thinks otherwise is either a troll or doesn't understand college football.

Anybody in this fan base who thinks we are going to be on par with ND, Bama, and OSU is delusional. NJ doesn't have the resources or stomach to compete at that level. Anybody who thinks otherwise is either a troll or doesn't understand college football.

And is some cases you'd just be playing catch-up anyway. It's not a one time charge. It's an eternal plowing of funds to stay near the top.

ND built their new center, The Gug, in 2005 for just over $20MM. As said, $20MM wouldn't go nearly as far in NJ. Two, there are already rumors that ND is about to dump $80MM back into the football program including renovating the Gug and either refurbishing the existing or building a new indoor football practice field.

The amount of money thrown around by elite programs is insane.

So your favorite team still has to raise the money for an indoor facility but the bubble is a liability? Also The U and ASU both use need indoor facilities more than we do because of their oppressive heat. Yes, ASU doesn't recruit against OSU, Michigan, or PSU they recruit against Oregon who has the nicest facilities in the country.

Mr. Lafayette. My favorite team is Rutgers. Miami really doesn't need an indoor facility, because they practice in the early morning before the heat rolls in. They are building a new facility due to recruiting, as UF and FSU have one. the bubble is a liability because it screams second rate.

We better find a way to improve our football facilities, otherwise ash is going to walk before his contract is up. at least, thats my read on him.

the weather in ASU is much nicer, than the weather in Oregon, at least for my taste.

thats just not true. ND isn't great at football due to Indiana.

the only thing ND, Bama, and OSU have that we don't, are large amounts of alumni that care about football success, and donate accordingly. Football is a big part of their identity. In contrast, speak to a rutgers alum and chances are, he hasn't been to a game in a long time.

If our alumni base ever starts caring about football success, we'll have the resources to compete with ANYBODY. we've got a long way to go. 9K donors is simply pathetic for an alumni base our size.

thats just not true. ND isn't great at football due to Indiana.

the only thing ND, Bama, and OSU have that we don't, are large amounts of alumni that care about football success, and donate accordingly. Football is a big part of their identity. In contrast, speak to a rutgers alum and chances are, he hasn't been to a game in a long time.

If our alumni base ever starts caring about football success, we'll have the resources to compete with ANYBODY. we've got a long way to go. 9K donors is simply pathetic for an alumni base our size.
You are being myopic. It's more than just money and resources. You need an administration who is willing to look the other way. You need press that doesn't spend every day looking for negative slants and you need state legislators to buy in as well.

Mr. Lafayette. My favorite team is Rutgers. Miami really doesn't need an indoor facility, because they practice in the early morning before the heat rolls in. They are building a new facility due to recruiting, as UF and FSU have one. the bubble is a liability because it screams second rate.

We better find a way to improve our football facilities, otherwise ash is going to walk before his contract is up. at least, thats my read on him.

the weather in ASU is much nicer, than the weather in Oregon, at least for my taste.
Exactly, I didn't even go to Rutgers yet I probably donate more than 90% of this board. Without non alumni this program would be even worse off. As for Arizona weather, it's nice to visit but brutal for football regardless of practice time. As a result, They primarily practice in their bubble

Exactly, I didn't even go to Rutgers yet I probably donate more than 90% of this board. Without non alumni this program would be even worse off. As for Arizona weather, it's nice to visit but brutal for football regardless of practice time. As a result, They primarily practice in their bubble

Your support is greatly appreciated as we need all the help we can get.

You are being myopic. It's more than just money and resources. You need an administration who is willing to look the other way. You need press that doesn't spend every day looking for negative slants and you need state legislators to buy in as well.

The press and legislators are nice to haves, not must haves. If Rutgers alums donated enough to have Urban Meyer as coach and built Ohio State Caliber facilities, we'd win championships many times over. Press and legislators be damned.

We've shown in the past, the ability to build a close to championship caliber team. The 2006 team was very close to being a championship caliber team. If Nate Robinson fulfilled his potential, and didn't get the boot, we very well might have been. But that took a perfect storm where we developed many of our two and three star players to be five star performers, such as Ray Rice and Devin McCourty.

I want Rutgers to be in a position to attract the four and five star players, making it easier to field a championship caliber team. With Chris Ash Here, we might have championship caliber coaching, so I'm hopeful that we can give him the support he deserves, to make it easier for him to land that caliber of player.

On some level it is about "keeping up with the Jones's" and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Speaking from a Maryland fan's perspective we've already broken ground on our new facility....and I love it.

Now will spending 200m help us win actual football games against the big boys? Of course not.

But sometimes the appearances of being WILLING to compete is half the battle.

So yeah, I see exactly where you're coming from and agree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT