ADVERTISEMENT

Tough Love: UNC Transfer Denied By Michigan....

RUinPinehurst

All American
Aug 27, 2011
From Ball Durham....

"Duke basketball: Ex-UNC guard Caleb Love denied admission to Michigan​

by Kevin Connelly2 days ago
A former rival of the Duke basketball team was in the news on Wednesday.

North Carolina guard Caleb Love has always been at the forefront of Duke basketball chatter and Blue Devil fans did not hold back after Wednesday’s news.

Love originally announced earlier in the offseason that he would be transferring out of Chapel Hill and declared shortly after that he would be committing to Michigan.

There was just one problem unbeknownst to Love. He didn’t have the grades or the credits to be accepted into Michigan.

Multiple reports surfaced that Love will no longer be attending, or playing basketball, next season for the Wolverines due to his poor grades and a lack of credits as the admissions staff at Michigan denied him acceptance to the prestigious institution."

Something seems off here, between this and Papa Kante, you are telling me Howard can’t get the guys he wants admitted into Michigan. It seems to me that maybe Michigan is trying to push Howard out without having to fire him. Juwan has NBA options, so maybe they hope he takes the hint and goes that route.

Something seems off here, between this and Papa Kante, you are telling me Howard can’t get the guys he wants admitted into Michigan. It seems to me that maybe Michigan is trying to push Howard out without having to fire him. Juwan has NBA options, so maybe they hope he takes the hint and goes that route.
Agreed. Two guys in one off-season that can't get in is very surprising, and looks bad on the coach. I'm curious how many credits Love actually has to not be allowed in?

Agreed. Two guys in one off-season that can't get in is very surprising, and looks bad on the coach. I'm curious how many credits Love actually has to not be allowed in?
What difference does it make if they won’t take any of his credits? It should just extend the amount time it would take him to graduate, it shouldn’t block his admission.

What difference does it make if they won’t take any of his credits? It should just extend the amount time it would take him to graduate, it shouldn’t block his admission.
That’s not how academic eligibility works in sports. You have to be progressing academically. There are minimum credit hours needed to be classified as a second year third year etc… athlete.

That’s not how academic eligibility works in sports. You have to be progressing academically. There are minimum credit hours needed to be classified as a second year third year etc… athlete.

He can just take 48 fake summer credits @ UNC get back on track

This stuff is all horse feathers. Academic casualties for scholarship athletes is a thing of the past. Players routinely graduate in less than 4 years. Academic 3-Card Monte. We are not getting the full story. Probably background check picked up on something worth steering clear of.

This stuff is all horse feathers. Academic casualties for scholarship athletes is a thing of the past. Players routinely graduate in less than 4 years. Academic 3-Card Monte. We are not getting the full story. Probably background check picked up on something worth steering clear of.
Was he seen hanging out with Ja Morant?

Reactions: shields
don't remember the particulars, but it was said that Kante could not pass the standard of english language that Michigan has in place, and RU has a lower threshold.

it was not grades

don't remember the particulars, but it was said that Kante could not pass the standard of english language that Michigan has in place, and RU has a lower threshold.

it was not grades
I have seen 2 players not get accepted this year, both were at Michigan. Seems fishy. I am sure Harbaugh doesn’t have these issues.

Reactions: dconifer
Love got accepted but Michigan only take a max of 60 credits. If you get a diploma from Michigan they want you to actually take classes at Michigan. Love would still be at Michigan as a grad transfer if he would’ve graduated from UNC. He’s like 2 classes away from being finished. Should he have given up 50ish credits to stay at Michigan?

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Love got accepted but Michigan only take a max of 60 credits. If you get a diploma from Michigan they want you to actually take classes at Michigan. Love would still be at Michigan as a grad transfer if he would’ve graduated from UNC. He’s like 2 classes away from being finished. Should he have given up 50ish credits to stay at Michigan?
maybe I'm naive but couldn't he finish those two classes over the summer at UNC and enroll in the fall? Announce your team transfer but finish up academically at UNC. Lots of players do that.

maybe I'm naive but couldn't he finish those two classes over the summer at UNC and enroll in the fall? Announce your team transfer but finish up academically at UNC. Lots of players do that.
Not sure of the specifics but it might’ve not been doable easily. Same thing happened with other transfer recruits like Shannon. Don’t know exact specifics.

You can get in If you don’t meet the academic requirements. What does Howard have to do with that. When you look at someone grades, it doesn’t say athlete on their transcripts.

• Haha
Reactions: MiloTalon13
You can get in If you don’t meet the academic requirements. What does Howard have to do with that. When you look at someone grades, it doesn’t say athlete on their transcripts.
I have an anecdote from a family member. He was recruited by an Ivy League school to play football. When he did not get in, he called the recruiting assistant and said “what happened, you said this was a done deal.“ He soon got his acceptance letter. The assistant coach explained that he had forgotten to put a little yellow sticker on the manila folder holding his application materials. The coach resubmitted with the yellow sticker affixed, and that was it. So the transcript may not say “athlete.“ But the admissions and oversight committees know who they are dealing with.

I have an anecdote from a family member. He was recruited by an Ivy League school to play football. When he did not get in, he called the recruiting assistant and said “what happened, you said this was a done deal.“ He soon got his acceptance letter. The assistant coach explained that he had forgotten to put a little yellow sticker on the manila folder holding his application materials. The coach resubmitted with the yellow sticker affixed, and that was it. So the transcript may not say “athlete.“ But the admissions and oversight committees know who they are dealing with.
Coaches often “track” the applications of incoming recruits. Many times they submit a list of applicants to the Admissions Office that they are recruiting and want to be accepted for their teams. It’s a universal system that almost always works without much oversight.

My buddy’s son applied to Harvard as a baseball recruit. The coach told him if he had 1200 SAT’s and a B+ average then he could guarantee him acceptance.

Reactions: Plum Street
Fake classes hardly ever transfer over.
They will when the accredited university gives (and in UNC's case truly gave it) the final grade which is the stamp of approval.
Based on past history and what we are reading here, it's pretty evident coaches, ADs, and/or anyone else linked to athletics have pull in the admission process.

Yep and that will be the SC next case

Maybe they have standards or Love used the wrong pronoun--- isn't that now a felony in the state of Michigan .

Coaches usually “walk” the application directly over to the admission office and track it through the process.

Coaches often “track” the applications of incoming recruits. Many times they submit a list of applicants to the Admissions Office that they are recruiting and want to be accepted for their teams. It’s a universal system that almost always works without much oversight.

My buddy’s son applied to Harvard as a baseball recruit. The coach told him if he had 1200 SAT’s and a B+ average then he could guarantee him acceptance.
Yes this was the basis of the whole college scandal thing with lori loughlin and others. Netflix did a movie on it with Mathew modine playing the mastermind behind the whole thing.

Yes, same system at RU in 90s. I didn’t need it but other guys on baseball team benefitted, including PWOs.

1st year was weed out.

I remember one kid saying he was concerned about staying eligible. I asked him what his GPA was and he said .6, which I didn’t even know was possible.

Needless to say, I didn’t see him soph yr. Not much “academic support” in those days- even for basketball and football. Bob Mulcahy made a huge difference in culture and investment in this area, which is under appreciated.

Yes, same system at RU in 90s. I didn’t need it but other guys on baseball team benefitted, including PWOs.

1st year was weed out.

I remember one kid saying he was concerned about staying eligible. I asked him what his GPA was and he said .6, which I didn’t even know was possible.

Needless to say, I didn’t see him soph yr. Not much “academic support” in those days- even for basketball and football. Bob Mulcahy made a huge difference in culture and investment in this area, which is under appreciated.
Yes, it was mulcahy and schiano. Schiano understood this coming from places like miami and Penn state.
It’s laughable that some people think college sports was ever amateurism. That’s why I don’t get the very vocal anti NIL group here

1st year was weed out.

As a member of the University Senate, I was told that Schiano cares a great deal about academic support and stresses to his players that they need to prepare for a life after college football and that they should be involved with student life as a whole, not just athletics. I was also told that Schiano is exceptional in this way.

As a member of the University Senate, I was told that Schiano cares a great deal about academic support and stresses to his players that they need to prepare for a life after college football and that they should be involved with student life as a whole, not just athletics. I was also told that Schiano is exceptional in this way.
Who told you this ?
I am sure schiano wants his kids to be good academically. But he knows what made him rich

Who told you this ?
I am sure schiano wants his kids to be good academically. But he knows what made him rich
A couple of academic administrators and a faculty member involved in the supervision of athletics all told me this, and not all at the same time. These individuals did *not* feel the same way about all Rutgers head coaches,

Yes, it was mulcahy and schiano. Schiano understood this coming from places like miami and Penn state.
It’s laughable that some people think college sports was ever amateurism. That’s why I don’t get the very vocal anti NIL group here

Absolutely. Hoops and baseball shared facilities (RAC, weight room, locker rooms etc when I was there, so there was some crossover between the programs).

I also sublet an apt to 3 offensive linemen starters going into their Sr yr. Two were expected to be NFL draft choices. Two were ineligible to start the year (I don’t remember which).

I’ll just say Gruninger, Wenzel & Graber didn’t run a tight ship.

But you didn’t have to have any inside info to know that. You just had to see NBA talents like Waliyy Dixon & Charles Jones leave after 1 yr. and countless others fail out year after year to know something was systemically wrong.

It required the political savvy of Mulcahy and the dogged determination (naïveté ?) of Schiano to get the resources in place to change the culture.

I know a lot of people from other sports weren’t happy, but it’s hard to argue that the vision didn’t pay off and ultimately benefit the entire athletic department by getting us to a stage large enough to showcase the State University of NJ and all it has to offer.

Who told you this ?

Schiano's first time here he had spotters at every classroom one of his players was in. Spotters job was to make sure the player attended & stayed for the whole class. It went away when Flood took over

Schiano cares very much about the academics of his players. It's that "I'll be a father to your son and we are a family here at RU" thing.

Schiano's first time here he had spotters at every classroom one of his players was in. Spotters job was to make sure the player attended & stayed for the whole class. It went away when Flood took over

Schiano cares very much about the academics of his players. It's that "I'll be a father to your son and we are a family here at RU" thing.
That’s kinda cute.

It didn’t seem like a big deal that flood did away with it at the time

It's a good recruitment tool. Kids may not care about getting an education, but their parents often do, and parents influence where a kid ends up. It's also the right thing to do -- almost no one is going to go on to a pro career, and so players need to be as prepared for the post-Rutgers world as everyone else.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT