ADVERTISEMENT

Towers: "I'm With Steve (Politi)," i.e., give the man what he wants...

Greg was pretty sure the RU job would open up and decided he didn't want to screw NE/Bill over and leave late in the season. And he was right. Belichick still loves Schiano.
Why did he take the role in the first place? What changed over the summer?

Reactions: TRU2RU
Those other sports stunk before greg and stunk after greg

Wrestling stunk after? Women's soccer? Women's basketball.

Other than XC and perhaps volleyball, name a team that hasn't improved when you account for the higher level competition they face week in and week out?
Women’s volleyball is improving considering the gauntlet they have to go through.

BB just got a $100M practice facility. They have zero room to complain about anything. It’s time to feed the football cash cow.

And the basketball facility has created exactly zero buzz among potential recruits.

For all the administrative talk about wanting to compete for conference championships , it takes money to do so. Money buys you the elite coaches and staffs and allows you to build the infrastructure that attracts the top recruits. And recruiting is the lifeblood of a college football program. And now that the NCAA is relaxing rules governing player likenesses and compensation , it will only add to the need to attract top recruits. We can thank Schiano for forcing Rutgers to confront the issue --does Rutgers want to compete in Power 5 Big Ten football or not?

I wonder how many times over we have already allocated and to some degree spent all that future B1G revenue? The full share keeps getting pushed into the future because we have taken advances. Its a significant amount of money but does not pay for things such as a $100MM football facilities. My sense we is are never going to catch up and be more self funding so it a good thing Barchi is retiring.

Also what happens to the Hale Center if the facility gets built? Still a pretty nice complex (much nicer than when GS was here) that will need to be retrofitted for other athletic programs?

Kinda like making the right investments in your house.............hopefully it pays off at the time you decide to sell. Not sure if Schiano is the answer (I hope he is) but if we're going to do this (succeed in the B10) let's not do it half ass.

I’m not a big fan of Greg’s x/o’s with football but his “demands” are what I do like about him. Love that he will be the guy that is going to “bully” his way through Rutgers politics to actually help them.
Tower’s money list is correct but a point that is also important...currently, FB is not making money is taking capital from our share of the B1G money. If we can get back into a positive cash flow, that leaves conference revenue to be used in the other sports while FB is not only self sufficient but making $$$

The biggest risk that the B1G took when bringing RU in was that we would take their money, not invest in our sports programs (especially the bus driver football), and become an athletic embarrassment. The expansion of RU Stadium was a clear sign to them that we were committed to big time sports. The reaction in this region to even limited football success (tv ratings, storming the field, block Rs) also was eye opening to them and paved the way.

The guy is just asking for what the program needs to be competitive. What take the job if you know you’re not going to be put in a position to succeed?

If Rutgers isn’t willing to put up their share then we have no business being in the big ten

The guy is just asking for what the program needs to be competitive. What take the job if you know you’re not going to be put in a position to succeed?

If Rutgers isn’t willing to put up their share then we have no business being in the big ten

But but but it’s for the academics . I always laugh when I hear people say that. It’s an athletic affiliation and 99% of that affiliation is based on us having a major football program. If we don’t want to compete, that’s fine but then we should get out of this athletic affiliation

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Putting slot of pressure in Hobbs
No it isn't. There is nothing that Schiano is asking for the Hobbs hasn't already mentioned we needed in the past. Give Hobbs $200 million and he will build everything we need.

I’m not a big fan of Greg’s x/o’s with football but his “demands” are what I do like about him. Love that he will be the guy that is going to “bully” his way through Rutgers politics to actually help them.
Tower’s money list is correct but a point that is also important...currently, FB is not making money is taking capital from our share of the B1G money. If we can get back into a positive cash flow, that leaves conference revenue to be used in the other sports while FB is not only self sufficient but making $$$
Not sure I’d continue using the word bully so much. That’s a bad word these days.

But but but it’s for the academics . I always laugh when I hear people say that. It’s an athletic affiliation and 99% of that affiliation is based on us having a major football program. If we don’t want to compete, that’s fine but then we should get out of this athletic affiliation

I always laugh at this. Yes, it is likely true that Schiano and Mulcahy got us to the Big Ten, because without at least the appearance of a legitimate Athletics Department, they wouldn't have been able to sell our admission to all the member schools required to vote on it.

That said, 99% of our affiliation is based on us having the strongest cable TV DMA in the nation. The Big Ten could give two shits if we are competitive in football. They don't want us to win. They want us to be good lap dogs, and open up an insane market for consumers and recruits to the current member schools.

Iirc basketball program was and is making money? Right now maybe the only one?

Despite what is often said here, I don't think football ever threw off a nickel to the Athletic Department. All the revenue increases while Greg was here were used up by football spending. They never eliminated the direct subsidy, and therefore continued to operate as a revenue drain on the AD as a whole.

The only sport, to my knowledge, that has operated in the black was basketball when Gary Waters was here.

I always laugh at this. Yes, it is likely true that Schiano and Mulcahy got us to the Big Ten, because without at least the appearance of a legitimate Athletics Department, they wouldn't have been able to sell our admission to all the member schools required to vote on it.

That said, 99% of our affiliation is based on us having the strongest cable TV DMA in the nation. The Big Ten could give two shits if we are competitive in football. They don't want us to win. They want us to be good lap dogs, and open up an insane market for consumers and recruits to the current member schools.

Maybe but they still need us to be competitive and not a national joke. the conference would learn to love us if we got good and delivered eyeballs to the TV

Reactions: patk89
Maybe but they still need us to be competitive and not a national joke. the conference would learn to love us if we got good and delivered eyeballs to the TV

Exactly, we produce quality football, ratings go up, more money for everyone in the conference. How many will tune in for this year's RU/Ohio State comedy?

If we didn’t have a football team we would not have been invited into this league for the other sports or our academics.

Of course demographics were a big part of the invite, but c'mon, there's no way we get the invite if we never had the 2006 season and the stadium expansion - in fact, it was that 2006 season and the combination of football impact and demographic power that Rutgers demonstrated when Cablevision agreed to carry our Texas Bowl game in NYC and NNJ/CNJ.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/bowls06/news/story?id=2706450

Reactions: Plum Street
Of course demographics were a big part of the invite, but c'mon, there's no way we get the invite if we never had the 2006 season and the stadium expansion - in fact, it was that 2006 season and the combination of football impact and demographic power that Rutgers demonstrated when Cablevision agreed to carry our Texas Bowl game in NYC and NNJ/CNJ.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/bowls06/news/story?id=2706450
2006 season, yes.

Stadium expansion, no. Delany didn't even know we had expanded the stadium.

Why did he take the role in the first place? What changed over the summer?
I don't actually know why he took the role in the first place, but maybe he didn't know how thin the ice was that Ash was on and how likely the job was to be available by mid-season until after he took the role.

I don't actually know why he took the role in the first place, but maybe he didn't know how thin the ice was that Ash was on and how likely the job was to be available by mid-season until after he took the role.

Must not have been paying too close attention. Ash was listed on the top 5 hottest seats. I think maybe number 1.

He actually said that? Sounds far-fetched, but I guess anything is possible...
I feel like Barchi said something along the lines of the B10 wanted us to expand the stadium but didn’t realize it was just expanded and it would have been a nonstarter for us joining if that was a requirement.

Must not have been paying too close attention. Ash was listed on the top 5 hottest seats. I think maybe number 1.
There's a difference between reading ESPN and being called up by someone like Greg Brown and being told that the job would likely be his if Ash tanked, as expected.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
There's a difference between reading ESPN and being called up by someone like Greg Brown and being told that the job would likely be his if Ash tanked, as expected.
So in your opinion Greg gave up the chance to be the Defensive Coordinator of the potential Super Bowl Champions, hoping that Ash did not catch lightening in a bottle & win 4 or 5 games, which would have brought Ash back for another year & Greg would still be unemployed.....nice try but what happened is that Christie (Greg's Wife) & Katie ( Greg's High School Junior Daughter) told Greg that they were not moving to Massachusetts & were staying in Columbus Ohio & that Greg had a choice to make! That information came from 3 different people close to Greg for many years.

So in your opinion Greg gave up the chance to be the Defensive Coordinator of the potential Super Bowl Champions, hoping that Ash did not catch lightening in a bottle & win 4 or 5 games, which would have brought Ash back for another year & Greg would still be unemployed.....nice try but what happened is that Christie (Greg's Wife) & Katie ( Greg's High School Junior Daughter) told Greg that they were not moving to Massachusetts & were staying in Columbus Ohio & that Greg had a choice to make! That information came from 3 different people close to Greg for many years.
I guess that means the family is willing to move back to NJ?

Sorry, I was just addressing the New England-RU-coaching angle. I also posted months ago that I had heard the main reason he left NE was family reasons, but didn't get into the details, since that was from a good source, but not from my Schiano source I've been using since Greg came to RU. My guess is it was some combination of family and thinking about the RU opportunity, although at this point, the point is moot. I also don't like to bug my friend/source with questions about every little thing regarding Schiano.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT