ADVERTISEMENT

Agee commits to RU

The others are Gettys, Doorson, Johnson, Carter, Duke and Cliff.

Not much offensive skill from that group.
I'm curious which one kyk thinks was the most talented on offense. Can't be Doorson or Douc. We all know Myles' limits on offense including his FT struggles. Shaq Carter or Gettys?

Building a team is about adding pieces that do something different than the others pieces. This is a big who can step out mid range....hit shots or drive it.

Something Johnson, Doorson, Duke, Carter and Cliff could not or have not shown they can do in Cliffs case.

This team will be as good if not better than last year from a conference record stand point. I like the make up of the roster.
Could be…but I expect the league to take a step back, so that’s certainly part of it.. I see Johnson as the big loss…specifically as a rim protector and rebounder. Young is certainly a loss but hopefully an extra year of our core guards and addition of Jones can offset it. You can’t replace his speed, however. Hyatt will be an upgrade from Mathis.

Reactions: shields
Agee > Douc
Agee < Myles in some ways, > in others (Offensive and free throws)
Hyatt > Mathis (for what we NEED)
McConnell and Jones = JY (split his minutes)

Net gain in terms of chemistry and what we need at this point, IMO

Another NCAA bid is within reach

Listen, there is an obvious reason he has had to take the basketball route he has. And I’m sure there are games he can be picked apart.

Harper was second round in some mock drafts and we all watched him during the middle of the season last year…

Im going to be optimistic and say Pike is able to get more out of him on a regular basis then his Juco school

At the end of the day he is a piece and this team will still generally live and die by Harper and Cliff most nights

Agee > Douc
Agee < Myles in some ways, > in others (Offensive and free throws)
Hyatt > Mathis (for what we NEED)
McConnell and Jones = JY (split his minutes)

Net gain in terms of chemistry and what we need at this point, IMO

Another NCAA bid is within reach
1. Agree
2. There not comparable, myles was one of the best defensive centers in the big ten if not the country.
3. Tough to say but I thought Mathis was a net negative so could be.
4. Until we see jones play real game time it's tough to say. JY peak was amazing but his lows were driving me crazy

Reactions: Rokodesh
1. Agree
2. There not comparable, myles was one of the best defensive centers in the big ten if not the country.
3. Tough to say but I thought Mathis was a net negative so could be.
4. Until we see jones play real game time it's tough to say. JY peak was amazing but his lows were driving me crazy

I am guessing I am on my own here but, while Johnson’s potential was VERY high, his inconsistency does not make his loss as big as people want to make it out to be

His lack of offense most nights allowed teams to key in on our perimeter shooters and suffocate our half court offense. Add in his foul trouble (right or wrong calls) and there were wayyyy to many games we were just trying to piece that position together until he could play unrestricted for the final 5 minutes

Now, I don’t think we have a great replacement unless Cliff bulks up, but, I actually think we could see much better, consistent offense if he takes a step forward

Why are people comparing him to Myles Johnson at all? A guy who was "okay" at San Jose State being compared to a Big Ten Defender of the Year caliber player who transferred to a Final 4 team? The comparison is laughable but Agee also won't be asked to fill that kind of role.

I made my thoughts known in the thread when he visited. There's something there but no one can reasonably project what a player from the 330th ranked team who was asked to play point forward is going to do in the Big Ten as a backup center.

I am guessing I am on my own here but, while Johnson’s potential was VERY high, his inconsistency does not make his loss as big as people want to make it out to be

His lack of offense most nights allowed teams to key in on our perimeter shooters and suffocate our half court offense. Add in his foul trouble (right or wrong calls) and there were wayyyy to many games we were just trying to piece that position together until he could play unrestricted for the final 5 minutes

Now, I don’t think we have a great replacement unless Cliff bulks up, but, I actually think we could see much better, consistent offense if he takes a step forward
A lot of the top tier bigs from last season are gone. No more Garza, no more Robbins, no more Cockburn (hopefully). I’m sure other guys will emerge to replace them and I am expecting Cliff to be one of them.

Reactions: knight82
A lot of the top tier bigs from last season are gone. No more Garza, no more Robbins, no more Cockburn (hopefully). I’m sure other guys will emerge to replace them and I am expecting Cliff to be one of them.
Too bad Maryland got a really good 6-11 big from Georgetown….

Last edited:
Too bad Maryland got a really good 6-11 big from Georgetown….
I remember. Wahab was a good pickup for them. Maryland’s front court was basically non-existent before they scooped him so they very much needed a big and had starter minutes to offer.

I am glad that we added Ralph. Hopefully he can be a good contributor and we can have a very good season again and maybe make the NCAA again. I cannot wait for this coming season and seeing our guys playing in front of a rocking crowd at the RAC once again.

Here’s my question for those in the know. Is Agee <, >, or = to Shaq Carter?
Could go either way... He may be a little better on offense than Carter, but he doesn't seem to be extremely quick, powerful, or a strong leaper from the several videos I saw, so I don't know how he'll compare overall.. A lot can change under new coaching and with new teammates though, and maybe the videos I saw weren't indicative of his total abilities. Regardless, he's obviously not a stiff...

He would've tied for 8th place in blocked shots for the season on last year's RU roster, with Dean Reiber. Both had a total of 5 blocks for the season, but Dean had 5 blocks in 76 minutes of total playing time, while Ralph had 5 blocks in 527 minutes of playing time.

Last edited:
Could go either way... He may be a little better on offense than Carter, but he doesn't seem to be extremely quick, powerful, or a strong leaper from the several videos I saw, so I don't know how he'll compare overall.. A lot can change under new coaching and with new teammates though, and maybe the videos I saw weren't indicative of his total abilities. Regardless, he's obviously not a stiff...

He would've tied for 8th place in blocked shots for the season on last year's RU roster, with Dean Reiber. Both had a total of 5 blocks for the season, but Dean had 5 blocks in 76 minutes of total playing time, while Ralph had 5 blocks in 527 minutes of playing time.
Dean Reiber really needs to get strong…cause he ain’t quick. He does have a very polished offensive game for a young guy which is good.

Here's what looks like another full game, from Feb 8th vs. San Diego State. Haven't watched it yet, but found it with a Google search.

Last edited:
As I said a couple of months ago, a high level source said that Pike said the 21/22 team will be his best team, so far, and that always assumed getting Geo/Ron back and filling the transfer holes with a combo of transfers and young talent we already have on the team. Looking forward to another good year...
Pike’s 2021-22 non-conference scheduling tells a different story about how confident he is in this team.

Welcome to one of the Top 50 universities in the world and your Scarlet Knights !!!

Pike’s 2021-22 non-conference scheduling tells a different story about how confident he is in this team.

Can you really tell what Pike thinks by his OOC schedule? Yea, im sure he didn’t want to load it up coming out of the gate. Transfers, possible uncertainty with Harper and Baker etc

But by playing in a P6 all that really matters is winning in conference. There were Big Ten teams on the bubble under 500 in conference last year

If the team was absolutely loaded maybe he would go out and schedule top tier competition, but we are not, and he likely wants that’s first month or so to get our legs underneath us

Reactions: LBusDoor90
Can you really tell what Pike thinks by his OOC schedule? Yea, im sure he didn’t want to load it up coming out of the gate. Transfers, possible uncertainty with Harper and Baker etc

But by playing in a P6 all that really matters is winning in conference. There were Big Ten teams on the bubble under 500 in conference last year

If the team was absolutely loaded maybe he would go out and schedule top tier competition, but we are not, and he likely wants that’s first month or so to get our legs underneath us

We have 20 B1G games, @SHU, @DePaul, and vs. Clemson. That's 23 games against major conference opponents, plus @UMass from the Atlantic 10. That'll likely be 20-21 Q1/Q2 games. I really doubt Pike would be looking to schedule more Q1/Q2 games than that, but if he does it'd probably just be 1 more.

If you want to see his offensive skills, the highlights included in the "On the Banks" article on him shouldn't be missed...

Haven't had time to watch much of those games, but it looks like SJSU mostly ran an offense that started Agee at the top outside the three point line, rather than in the post. He'd set some screens out there and occasionally drop down low, but mostly their offense had him setting up away from the basket to pull the opposing center away from the paint and open up the inside for their guards.

Reminds me a bit of how Clemson used Simms - kept him farther out from the basket, and made our bigs follow him and step away from the rim.

Defensively they seemed to run a lot of zone, which again pulled him away from the basket to defend on the perimeter.

Both of those schemes frequently put him out of position for rebounds, as he was often 15+ feet from the basket when a shot went up.

Yes, because before the pandemic laid waste to the non conference schedule last year, Pike had scheduled up like never before and talked like someone with expectations. Now, its back to the old schedule where the only goal of the non conference was to make the final win loss total look respectable.

I’m shocked at the negativity I’ve seen regarding Agee
He was brought in as a backup, period
How many guys would want to transfer in to a team with no obvious weakness or spot in the starting five
Pyke had to find the right type of guy
This is perfect
I like what I’ve seen on tape and while I’m no expert, I was a player bad feel like I have a decent eye for what might work
Agee has a good body, good feet and uses both hands to finish
He looks to have a decent game facing the basket too
I don’t know how well he will play d against the bigs in our league but neither does anyone else here
At the very least , we have a reasonably athletic big to play when Cliff is in foul trouble
I love the addition
The loss of Mathis will not impact
There only so many 2/3s that can play at one time
We have plenty of options there
Geo , if motivated to play defense , is a top tier point
Jaden is the future
Hyatt is a good hybrid 3/4 in the mold of kwasi
One of our problems last year is that we didn’t often have a 4 in the game that would do the dirty work
Harper didn’t want to be that guy , he wants to play the 3
Either Hyatt or Mag will be that guy
Cliff will eventually be much better then Miles
Hopefully that happens sooner then later
I think this team is going to be better then last years
The parts will fit better

This is great news. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being negative. Snowboarder’s post pretty much sums up my view. I’ll add that the articles regarding Agee’s reasons for transferring to RU make this addition even more attractive. He’s not only not moving on because he’s looking for more PT, but he’s not even abandoning SJSU because he’s tired of losing. He picked RU because he thinks our grad degree positions him best of all his offers for the future and he has a kid to think about. I think that’s great for team chemistry from an incoming player who expects off the bat to be a back up. I think Pike did really well here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT