ADVERTISEMENT

My exhaustive list of intriguing transfer candidates (and ongoing transfer watch)

GRF, Where on earth do you get Eugene playing the 5 for 22 minutes a game? You are definitely over analyzing everything. You should just sit back and enjoy the ride. Pike knows more than any of us. Let him make the decisions. You are not a coach, you just think you know everything.

Don’t read knights1212......

If Yeboah comes here one of these happens
1. Injuries
2. Eugene gets a ton of 5 minutes
3. 1-2 perimeter guys are left out of rotation

I don’t like the thought of a ton of guys playing 20 minutes

1. Injuries

I would think a bunch of kids playing 20 minutes wouldn’t happen. That usually means a coach doesn’t know who his best players are. In actuality. Yeboa would compete with RHJ, and push him to be a better player, or groom the role for RHJ to be in after he leaves. Players will have to earn it. All of them will benefit.

1. Injuries

3. 1-2 perimeter guys are left out because someone was better than them. It happens. Look at Kiss. He got pushed out but I when is staying and knows he needs to really work his game. Not a bad thing.

I think it is more complicated than that.

Does he make our team better in 2019-20? Probably. How much?

Does he make us worse in 2020-21?
Maybe.

If he comes here I am thinking it is with the understanding 20+ minutes are his. Given that everyone is back play 2 perimeter players whose fanny is on the bench?

No one who wants him has provided a sketch of what potential minutes breakdown would look like.

Are we better off this year coming up because we didn’t have an extra perimeter player taking minutes?

A resounding YES.

A better team in 19-20 helps recruiting in 2020 and 2021.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
GRF, Where on earth do you get Eugene playing the 5 for 22 minutes a game? You are definitely over analyzing everything. You should just sit back and enjoy the ride. Pike knows more than any of us. Let him make the decisions. You are not a coach, you just think you know everything.

I think he projected Eugene averaging 6 and 6 this past season.

If Yeboah comes, I see this:

- Omoruyi, Harper, and Yeboah get nearly all the 80 min at the 3/4 spots, which works out to about 27 min each on average.

- Carter officially gets zero minutes at the four, and is going to fight it out with Doucoure for the 15 minutes available at the 5. This may be a good thing, because I think Yeboah is a step up from Carter at the 4, so overall we'd end up with better depth at the 4 and more bodies at the 5.

- Mathis, Kiss, and McConnell get almost zero minutes at the three, and there will be much more of a crunch at the 1-2 spots. That's much more of a pressure cooker situation, and guys will almost certainly miss that particular bus. In that setup, I don't think Kiss would see the floor other than mop up time, so there would be 5 guys basically competing for 80 min. Three things will happen here, I think..... one, we'll get better overall minutes at the 1-2, as the best will play the most time. two, 1-2 guys will be unhappy with how their role has turned out on the team. three, there will be less development time for the younger guys.

In 2019-20, that could be a tourney team... but the question is what happens in 2020-21 when we lose Omoruyi, Yeboah, and Carter and have a gaping hole to fill at the 4.

With your scenario the likelihood of a transfer at the end of the season increases from Kiss,McConnell and Mathis.Playing time will be closely watched this season.

Reactions: gregkoko
With your scenario the likelihood of a transfer at the end of the season increases from Kiss,McConnell and Mathis.Playing time will be closely watched this season.

If that scenario plays out, I could definitely see a grad transfer from Kiss after this season - which might be in the cards either way.

Ru Choppin.....
Could definitely see that scenario, probably base case.

A few things to note.....
1. Kiss and Yeboah are different players and Yeboah has more experience and Kiss has a sample size at RU of a not great season. Having said all that what makes us think Yeboah outplays Kiss. Both had success at lower conference and had good games against major opponents. We like Yeboah because he is a new face. The cynic in me says Yeboah COULD (not will) be Kiss V2.0.

2. As I said your scenario is the base case and gun to my head I say that is the one I'd guess. However, at some point you want to have your best basketball players on the floor. If Yeboah isn't Kiss V2.0 and Kiss is better than he showed last year AND we have no injury I can see up playing 4 perimeters PLUS Eugene on the floor at times.

I am not a fan of having lineups where you don't have a shot blocker. I know Eugene takes charges which in a way is a shot blocker dressed differently.

3. If Yeboah comes here does this start a new way Rutgers views the 4 position. Gets us more inline with other schools. In that world players with the size of Shaq C and Duke don't have a real roster spot unless they have ridiculous athletic ability or motors.

4. Obviously matchups will have a lot to do with things.

Last edited:
What is the standard deviation in height of this lineup (I'll bet it does fine on defensive glass)

PG Paul Mulcahy 6'6''....averaged 10 RPG in HS
SG Caleb McConnell 6'6''.....14.5% DREB. Shaq Doorson was 14.6% last year as reference
SF Ron Harper Jr. 6'6''......13.0% DREB
PF Akwashi Yeboah 6'6''......20.1%DREB
C Eugene Omoruyi 6'7'' :scream:.....19.0% DREB%

GRF, At least your latest posting makes some sense but your posting for Eugene at the 5 for 22 mpg made absolutely none.

Ru Choppin.....
Could definitely see that scenario, probably base case.

A few things to note.....
1. Kiss and Yeboah are different players and Yeboah has more experience and Kiss has a sample size at RU of a not great season. Having said all that what makes us think Yeboah outplays Kiss. Both had success at lower conference and had good games against major opponents. We like Yeboah because he is a new face. The cynic in me says Yeboah COULD (not will) be Kiss V2.0.

2. As I said your scenario is the base case and gun to my head I say that is the one I'd guess. However, at some point you want to have your best basketball players on the floor. If Yeboah isn't Kiss V2.0 and Kiss is better than he showed last year AND we have no injury I can see up playing 4 perimeters PLUS Eugene on the floor at times.

I am not a fan of having lineups where you don't have a shot blocker. I know Eugene takes charges which in a way is a shot blocker dressed differently.

3. If Yeboah comes here does this start a new way Rutgers views the 4 position. Gets us more inline with other schools. In that world players with the size of Shaq C and Duke don't have a real roster spot unless they have ridiculous athletic ability or motors.

4. Obviously matchups will have a lot to do with things.

So with regard to Kiss and Yeboah, it's something of an apples and oranges comparison.

1. They are very different body types. Yeboah is 6-6, 235 and Kiss is 6-5, 200. Yeboah is much more the prototypical SF size, and has the mass to bang much more than Kiss does, who is more of a prototypical SG size frequently playing out of position at SF to find minutes.

2. Experience matters. Kiss was coming in with just 1 year out of HS, and Yeboah with 4.

3. Yeboah was better than Kiss statistically across most categories, on a better overall team (Stony Brook was 166 in the 2019 kepom, Q was 294 in the 2017 kenpom)... and we've got a larger body of work to look at.

Could he end up being another Kiss? Sure - nothing saying that he's going to automatically find success at the next level. If that's the case, then he'll see fewer minutes and McConnell/Mathis will see more time at SF - which makes Yeboah more of a pressure release valve. I just think he's got a longer and better resume coming in than Kiss did, and with that comes higher expectations.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
GRF, At least your latest posting makes some sense but your posting for Eugene at the 5 for 22 mpg made absolutely none.

What THEORETICALLY makes more sense?

A. Shaq Carter playing 15 minutes and Caleb MCConnell getting a DNP
B. Caleb McConnell playing 15 minutes and Shaq Carter getting a DNP
C. 8-9 perimeter guys playing no more than 24 minutes

Just for sake of argument, one possible breakdown of minutes that includes Yeboah:

PG/SG: Baker 25, Mathis 17, Young 15, McConnell 10, Mulcahy 10, Kiss 3
SF: Harper 22, Yeboah 10, Mathis/McConnell/Kiss 8
PF: Omoruyi 22, Yeboah 15, Harper 3
C: Johnson 25, Doucoure/Carter/Omoruyi 15

Overall:
25: Baker, Omoruyi, Harper, Johnson, Yeboah
17-19: Mathis
15: Young
12-14: McConnell
10: Mulcahy
5-10: Carter/Doucoure
4-6: Kiss

Of course, usually a team has a "go to" player who's on the court for 30+ minutes.... which in our case would likely be Baker.

Maybe it was someone else , my apologies.

Edit: it was Hawk.

I predicted 6 and 6 for Eugene, based on the goal of having freshman pass him on the depth chart and for him being an unwilling or not capable 3 point threat.

Eugene has transitioned his game from post to mid range and started his season on fire from 3. Ultimately, IMO, the team cannot thrive if he's your leading scorer or person taking the most shots.

The Yeboah potential arrival has the chance to be a version of what Eugene could add to his arsenal this year....capable 3 point threat, passer and duplicate what Yeboah does.

This season has the potential to be a good one, if the freshman grow up to be sophs AND start to emerge as go to options to go with Young. To maximize efficiency and take this roster to becoming a true NCAA threat, will require a more limited stat line for Eugene, unless he plays 28 minutes and becomes a perimeter threat.

The offense doesn't work when you have 2 offensive threats in Johnson and Eugene and both are only primarily effective in the post, especially if both are expected to be starters. Someone is going to have to take less shots this coming season OR transform their game to provide better spacing....and the only candidate who can defer being a primary post player and as a willing teammate is Eugene.....if Eugene didn't progress or make such a huge jump or improvement in every aspect (especially FT shooting) we would have a clear and defined role for Yeboah.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I honestly think we should treat this like Eugene is not on the team. His knee is WAY too risky not to have a legit plan B. If Eugene happens to play the entire season and that screws up some development of our young guys then so be it. I think it is less than 50% that he plays the entire year.

Just for sake of argument, one possible breakdown of minutes that includes Yeboah:

PG/SG: Baker 25, Mathis 17, Young 15, McConnell 10, Mulcahy 10, Kiss 3
SF: Harper 22, Yeboah 10, Mathis/McConnell/Kiss 8
PF: Omoruyi 22, Yeboah 15, Harper 3
C: Johnson 25, Doucoure/Carter/Omoruyi 15

Overall:
25: Baker, Omoruyi, Harper, Johnson, Yeboah
17-19: Mathis
15: Young
12-14: McConnell
10: Mulcahy
5-10: Carter/Doucoure
4-6: Kiss

Of course, usually a team has a "go to" player who's on the court for 30+ minutes.... which in our case would likely be Baker.

Thanks.

If Eugene is only a 4, Yeboah has to be one of our top 3 or 4 players or it doesnt make sense bringing him in. No one would be happy with those minutes. We both know the more likely scnario is Kiss + another perimeter player out of the rotation on any given night.

Now the Eugene knee angle is important.

In addition I truly think Yeboah coming here means 4 perimeters PLUS Eugene for 10-15 MPG+ Our offense would move to the middle of the b1G pack and look like a real team.

Thanks.

If Eugene is only a 4, Yeboah has to be one of our top 3 or 4 players or it doesnt make sense bringing him in. No one would be happy with those minutes. We both know the more likely scnario is Kiss + another perimeter player out of the rotation on any given night.

Now the Eugene knee angle is important.

In addition I truly think Yeboah coming here means 4 perimeters PLUS Eugene for 10-15 MPG+ Our offense would move to the middle of the b1G pack and look like a real team.

I don't think he has to be one of our top 3 or 4 players. He could be the 5th or 6th best player to see 25+ min.

Just wildly speculating.... say our best players next year are Baker, Omoruyi, Harper, Johnson, and Mathis..... that still would leave 25 min available across the 3/4 spots for Yeboah. The best players will play - as long as he can be 6th best or better, I can easily see him getting his minutes.

Reactions: higgins3
I don't think he has to be one of our top 3 or 4 players. He could be the 5th or 6th best player to see 25+ min.

Just wildly speculating.... say our best players next year are Baker, Omoruyi, Harper, Johnson, and Mathis..... that still would leave 25 min available across the 3/4 spots for Yeboah. The best players will play - as long as he can be 6th best or better, I can easily see him getting his minutes.

My main point is....he better be a notch better than the guys he is taking minutes from.

Hypothetically, this is all theory and if Eugene doesnt get "5" minutes......
He is taking minutes 27 thru 32 from Baker
He is taking minutes 11 thru 16 from Mulcahy
He is taking minutes 16 thru 21 from McConnell
He is taking minutes 20 thru 25 from Mathis
He is taking minutes 21 thru 26 from Harper Jr.

Is his play on the court going to be better in those lost 25 minutes from those 5 guys?

I get....
1. He'd provide Eugene insurance
2. He'd provide general injury insurance
3. He could be a lot better than a person he replaces in the rotation

Repeating....if Yeboah comes here, Pike thinks either
1. he is worried about Eugene's knee
2. He is a lot better than a couple guys that are now in the rotation
3. He plays on the court with Eugene as the "5" giving us a more "B1G look" at the 4.

Reactions: gregkoko
If not Yeboah then I'm not sure who we target at this point that makes us better next season. So it'll be interesting.

Repeating....if Yeboah comes here, Pike thinks either
1. he is worried about Eugene's knee
2. He is a lot better than a couple guys that are now in the rotation
3. He plays on the court with Eugene as the "5" giving us a more "B1G look" at the 4.

1. Reasonable - but even without the knee, Omoruyi likes taking charges, which can put him in early foul trouble with the wrong crew.
2. I think he would be ahead of the guys who would back us up at the 3/4... which is Mathis/McConnell/Kiss/Carter, and so would be taking their minutes if he earned time on the floor. They would then need to be better than the other guys at the 1/2 spots to fight them for their minutes. Someone will lose out, but it'll be those not performing as well as the rest.
3. Not sure what a "B1G look" at the 4 means.... Yeboah and Omoruyi are the same size. Or do you mean more of a stretch threat at the 4?

1. Reasonable - but even without the knee, Omoruyi likes taking charges, which can put him in early foul trouble with the wrong crew.
2. I think he would be ahead of the guys who would back us up at the 3/4... which is Mathis/McConnell/Kiss/Carter, and so would be taking their minutes if he earned time on the floor. They would then need to be better than the other guys at the 1/2 spots to fight them for their minutes. Someone will lose out, but it'll be those not performing as well as the rest.
3. Not sure what a "B1G look" at the 4 means.... Yeboah and Omoruyi are the same size. Or do you mean more of a stretch threat at the 4?
He means more of a stretch threat. This ignores that the stretch 4 isnt as much if a B1G look as he thinks it is, and that Omoruyi gave other teams fits at times because of his own style of play and can easily guard those guys when healthy.

Reactions: RUChoppin
He means more of a stretch threat. This ignores that the stretch 4 isnt as much if a B1G look as he thinks it is, and that Omoruyi gave other teams fits at times because of his own style of play and can easily guard those guys when healthy.

Omoruyi has a frustrating old man game in the post - he was just patient, got guys' weight on the wrong foot, and then made his move. When he's healthy, he can definitely guard out to the perimeter.

He also showed a bit of a stretch range in the early part of the season before he got hurt. He was 12/33 (.364) before his injury, and 2/12 (.167) after

I drool thinking about us offensively with 4 perimeters and Eugene on the floor.

If we played 4 perimeters at a time the need for another body can easily be argued.

Does anyone think that unit wouldn’t rebound?
Hold their own defensively?
We’d be a nightmare to defend. The 5 would have a terrible time with Eugene.

Reactions: kcg88
I drool thinking about us offensively with 4 perimeters and Eugene on the floor.

If we played 4 perimeters at a time the need for another body can easily be argued.

Does anyone think that unit wouldn’t rebound?
Hold their own defensively?
We’d be a nightmare to defend. The 5 would have a terrible time with Eugene.

These players have now left NU.

None of them will be major players.

I believe there are 2 scholarship players left on the roster and only 1 if Roby(more than likely) leaves. There have been 4 commits to replace them so far and 4 open spots left.

I guess Thorin “my last name has a lot of letters” is staying at NU.

Last edited:
Reactions: AD888
ADVERTISEMENT