ADVERTISEMENT

My exhaustive list of intriguing transfer candidates (and ongoing transfer watch)

Why would we think a guy that shot 32% from 3 in the American East conference would help this program short and long term?

A 6'6'' power forward who will take 3 pointers and get a lot of defensive rebounds in the America East conference. How does that translate to the B1G?

With all that said......the bigger issue is taking minutes away from guys that will be here 2 years after Yeboah would leave.

If you really think you want Yeboah than provide a minutes chart with him. Does that mean Eugene plays some 5?

Who is Yeboah going to guard? Can he guard a big in B1G? Does he guard a perimeter player?

He isn't a shot blocker and isn't an offensive rebounder. He likes to take 3s and miss 68% of them.

There is 1 basketball and only 200 minutes (unless we play a lot of OT). We have a lot of capable players on this roster. Getting Yeboah will be taking someone's sneakers away. I'm OK with that for 4 years, not excited for 1 year.

If Pikiell gets him obviously i will be on board.

Why would we think a guy that shot 32% from 3 in the American East conference would help this program short and long term?

A 6'6'' power forward who will take 3 pointers and get a lot of defensive rebounds in the America East conference. How does that translate to the B1G?

With all that said......the bigger issue is taking minutes away from guys that will be here 2 years after Yeboah would leave.

If you really think you want Yeboah than provide a minutes chart with him. Does that mean Eugene plays some 5?

Who is Yeboah going to guard? Can he guard a big in B1G? Does he guard a perimeter player?

He isn't a shot blocker and isn't an offensive rebounder. He likes to take 3s and miss 68% of them.

There is 1 basketball and only 200 minutes (unless we play a lot of OT). We have a lot of capable players on this roster. Getting Yeboah will be taking someone's sneakers away. I'm OK with that for 4 years, not excited for 1 year.

Not sure why anyone would be opposed to picking Yeboah up. Are we really better off picking up two 2019 recruits this late in the process?

He was the focal point of the opposing teams game plan at SB — I’m inclined to believe that with better players around him he won’t be forced to take 16 shots a game and will be more efficient accordingly.

We lack wing depth — who are we to turn down an all-conference player, even if they’re from the America East. As others have said, worst case scenario he serves as depth in case Gene gets hurt. He’d be a major coup in my mind.

He has shot threes at 34% for his career, and shoots free throws at 80% while getting to the line pretty often. He has shown the ability to effectively guard bigger players and can create matchup problems. With Eugene’s knee less than an absolute certainty, and with a couple of slots open, taking him is an absolute no brainer.

Guys get hurt. Especially with Eugene's knee it's not a bad idea to bring in a guy who has a similar game.

I don't love the 3P% (there are other players I want more than Yeboah which I've made clear) but his career mark is 34% which would put him in the upper echelon for this team. He's also a good free throw shooter.

From the video I've seen I think he can do an alright job defensively. Something similar to what Harper gave us last year and he didn't kill us defensively.

I'm not going to give you a minutes breakdown. Guys who can play will play. If somebody loses playing time, gets dissatisfied, and transfers out... well, you accept that because you're banking on Yeboah to put the team in a better position.

There are a lot of factors to consider and you raise good points. But you can't let perfect be the enemy of good. There are two scholarships open. That's two opportunities to make the team better. The longer they stay open, the smaller the pool of players we're drawing from.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I still don't understand why GRF is so negative on so many things. If Steve Pikiell wants Yeboah than I certainly want him. I trust Steve completely and have sat and talked with him many times. He is a wonderful down to earth guy who just happens to be a very good basketball coach and he has a real plan for success. GRF seems to question almost everything about RU B-Ball. He thinks he is almost never wrong and he over analyzes almost every thing.

I said if Pike gets him I am on board with it.

I reject that is is a failure if we don’t get a German transfer.

I like our current roster and want them to get minutes.

I said if Pike gets him I am on board with it.

I reject that is is a failure if we don’t get a German transfer.

I like our current roster and want them to get minutes.
I mean, after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor I'd rather not get a German transfer

Dirk Nowitzki has to have some eligibility, he never even played college before.

Reactions: dkostus

When SBU played B1G opponents and other high major programs, Yeboah fared well.

Yeboah vs South Carolina: 24 points and 11 rebounds
Yeboah vs Maryland: 15 points and 6 rebounds
12 points and 6 rebounds
Yeboah vs UCONN: 8 points and 6 rebounds
Yeboah vs Michigan St: 15 points 3 rebounds

True he only made 32 percent of his three-pointers this past season but the season before he made 36 percent and the season before that he made 34 percent. Those numbers won't make anyone forget Fletcher Magee but Yeboah can knock down open three-pointers at a decent clip.

We lack wing depth — who are we to turn down an all-conference player, even if they’re from the America East. As others have said, worst case scenario he serves as depth in case Gene gets hurt. He’d be a major coup in my mind.
Rutgers has plenty of wing depth.

Harper
McConnell
Thiam
Kiss

12 points and 6 rebounds

True he only made 32 percent of his three-pointers this past season but the season before he made 36 percent and the season before that he made 34 percent. Those numbers won't make anyone forget Fletcher Magee but Yeboah can knock down open three-pointers at a decent clip.

Harper
McConnell
Thiam
Kiss

Plenty of wing depth? News to me. Thiam was dismissed from the team at the end of the year and Kiss can by no means guard opposing 3's.

12 points and 6 rebounds

Harper
McConnell
Thiam
Kiss
Correction- Thiam is gone and Kiss has a lot of work to do for playing time.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
Harper, McConnell and Mulcahy can all play on the wing. Mathis and Kiss are 2's but I'm confident Mathis can play the 3 with his athleticism

Penn State potentially losing a shooter
If Bolton leaves, along with Reaves graduation, PSU will have a hard time being above the bottom of the league next year even if Stevens returns. Their fans expect Watkins to be gone as well. That basically leaves Stevens and Dread

12 points and 6 rebounds

Harper
McConnell
Thiam
Kiss

RU fans will tell you same story with Kiss. He lit it up vs Gonzaga and SHU.

Kiss stats were around 28% or so from 3.....big difference between 34 and 28 on 3s

If we did land Yeboah, he'd very likely be taking whatever minutes are not played by either Harper or Omoruyi at the 3/4. That'd be in the 20-25 minute range.

It would also put more pressure on the 1/2 spots, as McConnell, Mulcahy, and Mathis would not be seeing very many minutes at the 3.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG

Cam Mack
This guy is sort of a transfer. Ha. He signed with St. John’s and got out of LOI when the assistant coach went to Nebraska.

What are the chances Pikiell already has his assistant and is just waiting for everything to be cleared?

I think getting Yeboah will only help our team. That is what we are trying to do isn't it? Maybe Eugene can play a few less minutes each game.

What are the chances Pikiell already has his assistant and is just waiting for everything to be cleared?

It's probably 50/50. For example, we all know that Bryan Dougher is an assistant at Fairfield but there has been no official announcement from the Fairfield Stags Athletics Dept.

We are almost in May, and it’s been eerily quiet regarding filling our two scholarships. If we only had one scholarship, I might pass on Yeboah in hopes of getting someone better. However, with two, I hope we get him, but I have a feeling we won’t.

TCU adds a non-Yeboah transfer. Gotta think that's good news though SMU and Marquette are still very involved.

Good post

I think getting Yeboah will only help our team. That is what we are trying to do isn't it? Maybe Eugene can play a few less minutes each game.

I think it is more complicated than that.

Does he make our team better in 2019-20? Probably. How much?

Does he make us worse in 2020-21?
Maybe.

If he comes here I am thinking it is with the understanding 20+ minutes are his. Given that everyone is back play 2 perimeter players whose fanny is on the bench?

No one who wants him has provided a sketch of what potential minutes breakdown would look like.

Are we better off this year coming up because we didn’t have an extra perimeter player taking minutes?

A resounding YES.

I think it is more complicated than that.

Does he make our team better in 2019-20? Probably. How much?

Does he make us worse in 2020-21?
Maybe.

If he comes here I am thinking it is with the understanding 20+ minutes are his. Given that everyone is back play 2 perimeter players whose fanny is on the bench?

No one who wants him has provided a sketch of what potential minutes breakdown would look like.

Are we better off this year coming up because we didn’t have an extra perimeter player taking minutes?

A resounding YES.
Competition makes guys better.

Competition makes guys better.

Yes....and on the flip side.

1. It can be argued that 2019-20 might be a peak year with Eugene as a senior. (I understand and respect the argument by NJH and others this isnt the case). If this is the case tomorrow may not be as important as today.

2. Maybe the addition would dramatically alter our look.....choose your PG, I'll insert mine

1. Baker 24 Mulcahy 16
2. Young 24 Baker 8 McConnell 8
3. Harper 18 McConnell 12 Kiss 10
4. Yeboah 26 Harper 8 Eugene 6
5. Eugene 22 Myles 18

Baker 32
Eugene 28
Harper 26
Yeboah 26
Young 24
McConnell 20
Myles 18
Mulcahy 16
Kiss 10

You are missing Mathis
Take 5/mpg away from each of the top 6 guys on his list (excluding EO) and there is Mathis 20 minutes. That also assumes 0 minutes for Carter and Doucoure which is highly unlikely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT