ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Thread - Portal Now Open (Chol, Simpson, Wolf, Mag, Cliff, Griffiths)

Yes, but they still are freshmen and there are only two of them. It’s not about Dylan and Ace. It’s about putting out the best team we can to capitalize on them and at least win a game in the tournament IMO.
You’re missing the point. None of those transfers are as good as Dylan or Ace. So who cares what the transfer ranking is? They added 3 transfers so far that make RU a lot better. The only thing that matters is 1-7 and maybe some 1-2 more for depth. Just put together the best 1-7 line up together. They need 1 big and maybe 1 shooter and that’s a very good 1-7.

You’re missing the point. None of those transfers are as good as Dylan or Ace. So who cares what the transfer ranking is? They added 3 transfers so far that make RU a lot better. The only thing that matters is 1-7 and maybe some 1-2 more for depth. Just put together the best 1-7 line up together. They need 1 big and maybe 1 shooter and that’s a very good 1-7.
It does matter when you are losing ground to other B1G teams. We can have the two best players in the B1G (hypothetically) but it won’t matter if several teams are bringing in many more players who are nearly as good. My point is that there is no way our 1-7 is better than Indiana’s or Illinois’ right now and who knows who else. A middle of the pack B1G team does not guarantee an NCAA bid.

As good as Harper and Ace may be, they are still freshman and the portal players are upperclassman. I also expect Dylan and Ace to play “freshman” defense.

Yes, I’d take Dylan and Ace over Indiana’s best two portal players, but I’d also take Indiana’s starting 5 (4 of them are portal players) over any 5 players we can put on the court right now every day of the week. If Pike gets a respectable center, maybe that changes.

Bailey and Harper need to each take at least 15 shots per game for Rutgers to score at least 70 points per game.The team needs to make at least 8 three pointers per game.Brunson for the Knicks needed to score 47 points to defeat Philadelphia because the rest of the team were missing shots.
You are making an assumption that their effective FG% range is high. We do not want Ace jacking up Nba 3s 6 feet betond the line at a 26% rate

It does matter when you are losing ground to other B1G teams. We can have the two best players in the B1G (hypothetically) but it won’t matter if several teams are bringing in many more players who are nearly as good. My point is that there is no way our 1-7 is better than Indiana’s or Illinois’ right now and who knows who else. A middle of the pack B1G team does not guarantee an NCAA bid.

As good as Harper and Ace may be, they are still freshman and the portal players are upperclassman. I also expect Dylan and Ace to play “freshman” defense.

Yes, I’d take Dylan and Ace over Indiana’s best two portal players, but I’d also take Indiana’s starting 5 (4 of them are portal players) over any 5 players we can put on the court right now every day of the week. If Pike gets a respectable center, maybe that changes.

Honestly none of us has any idea how any of these players (RU or otherwise) will ultimately fit together regardless of portal rankings. Most of us are judging by just looking at high level stats and perhaps a few clips without any situational context.

For instance you will take Indiana's starting 5.....what do you actually know about them beyond portal rankings etc? Do they all need the ball or will they be happy to defer in a support type role? Do you feel rankings are an exact science? Even Dylan and Ace come with some doubts.

Honestly none of us has any idea how any of these players (RU or otherwise) will ultimately fit together regardless of portal rankings. Most of us are judging by just looking at high level stats and perhaps a few clips without any situational context.

For instance you will take Indiana's starting 5.....what do you actually know about them beyond portal rankings etc? Do they all need the ball or will they be happy to defer in a support type role? Do you feel rankings are an exact science? Even Dylan and Ace come with some doubts.
Agree with you especially since Woodson is a horrible coach and has not had success meshing high rated players before. However, I’ve seen each of them play many times and I’d jump at every single one of them. No, it’s not an exact science and I also understand how Pike wanted players with certain characteristics to fit in etc. I also know that’s a CYA when you don’t do as well you thought you would. Regardless, I thought we would do better than we did but all is well if he gets a respectable big man.

Have you seen Illinois 1-7 currently it sucks lol. Indiana is more proven but doesn’t fit incredibly well.

Have you seen Illinois 1-7 currently it sucks lol. Indiana is more proven but doesn’t fit incredibly well.
I believe Illinois has at least Rodgers and Domasck coming back, a high 4 star freshman and 3 4 star transfers coming in so far (Boswell, Booth, and Tre White). And you know they are not finished. Not too shabby.

I believe Illinois has at least Rodgers and Domasck coming back, a high 4 star freshman and 3 4 star transfers coming in so far (Boswell, Booth, and Tre White). And you know they are not finished. Not too shabby.
Domask is far from a guarantee he returns. Rodgers isnt anything too special, would much rather have Williams. Boswell is ok but idk if hes a star, and the other two have a fair bit to prove, Booth put up a really inefficient season on a not great Notre Dame team and White was a role player on a terrible Louisville team. Just cause you see the four star next to their name doesnt mean anything. I don't think our transfer class is far behind theirs so far and id much rather have our freshmen and returning players.

I think competition for playing time is hurting our portal recruiting as much as NIL at this point. In the TKR pod they noted that Oklahoma was slotting Jadon Jones into a starting role as they had the minutes to give, whereas here he was likely a role player fighting for minutes.

Despite the "expert fans" here, I think a lot of 5s look at Somerville and Ogbole and know they will be fighting for minutes. We can't afford a clear upgrade (which means an upperclassman and serious cash). And younger players don't want to have to try to beat out Somerville or play behind him for 4 years. And middling players that aren't a clear upgrade will be in a 3 way competition for minutes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT