ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble for Maryland football

Will the NCAA get involved here? I know they are weak but if the allegations in this article are true there should be some serious stuff coming down. It probably won't happen but this sounds really bad. I mean - a player died!!
They're too busy policing things that really matter. Didn't you hear? Some players sold sneakers in North Carolina.

Because they have blood on their hands the AD and the President will be gone too. This will be a total house cleaning

I really do not understand how these end of practice wind sprints were run.. aren't all the coaches watching their guys running.. making sure they put in the effort.. how can they miss...

OH.. I get it now...

The coaches are watching their guys running.. not the guys who just finished running. It could be very easy to miss guys who were having trouble.

On the other hand, we have had many days of high humidity and feels likes temps over 100... how can you not keep an eye on your big guys.. the guy who dies was an OL.. the NFL has had big men die from heat exhaustion.. how can you not watch out for that on such hot days?
At 106 degree body temperature there's no mistaking or accidental oversight it's basically gross negligence. That was his temp an hour later. So basically they drove him to the point where his body shut down and could no longer cool itself. At a 106 degree temperature it's very difficult to maintain ones balance. Anyone in the practice area would have noticed him struggling and it wouldn't have looked like he was dogging it because I'm surprised he could even stand.

What does that have to do with the NCAA? This could be a case of criminal negligence...they’ve said time and again they won’t come down on programs because of these kinds of issues which should be decided by courts.

Assuming the article is accurate there are clearly aspects surrounding the death of the player that could be criminal in nature. On that i agree with you completely. But, the rest of the article should clearly be behavior that is subject to NCAA review. These coaches were out of control and not being overseen or supervised by the administration above them. I am shocked that ESPN and the parents of the player are the only outside entities carrying out an investigation. It seems neither the police nor the NCAA are involved.

Reactions: satnom
The coaches killed one of the players and they showed zero remorse. That is basically what happen. They worked him to death and didn't call an abundance until a hour later.

Shouldn't there be criminal charges press against them?

WTF?!?

Various comments from Testudotimes blog.
https://www.testudotimes.com/maryla...mcnair-maryland-football-death-espn-dj-durkin

Jim Harbaugh runs the same type of program.
Posted by Kidterp on Aug 10, 2018 | 7:03 PM
-----------
You’re going to have a hard time getting me to empathize. Did a kid deserve to die? Obviously not, RIP, Jordan.
But "extreme" profanity and instilling a masculine culture was a day to day thing in the Army. Will heads roll in this day and age? Probably, but I don’t see what Durkin was doing as wrong.
If anyone should go, it should be Rick Court. But even then, eh.
Posted by Kidterp on Aug 10, 2018 | 7:24 PM
---------
It’s over for Durkin. Yes, ESPN’s article today could well turn out to be in many respects a hit piece, but it doesn’t matter. It looks like there was a preventable death of a young man. There appears to be a culture of abuse, even when placed in a football context. The athletic department will lose the support of the faculty, and they are by and large not lightweights, competive and accomplished people now working at one of the top public research schools in the nation. Recruits will become averse, and Durkin will go. And starting over in the Big 10 East will be incredibly difficult. I am of the older generation, a Division 1 scholarship athlete in the ACC, and always respected Maryland in competition, and believed they were a great northern bookend to the ACC, especially from a culture perspective. This situation reflects the downside of Big 10 membership – admittedly and in fairness not predictable – no joy in College Park today.
Posted by rogermortimer on Aug 10, 2018 | 8:07 PM
--------------
His passion and excitement was something we haven’t seen in a while around here. But unfortunately, Durkin seems to have turned out to be a complete psycho that obviously will do anything it takes to win. We wanted the complete opposite of Randy Edsall and we got it. Reading the article absolutely disgusted me. If this is what is takes to "play with the big boys" then no thanks. I’ll be fine being a middle of the road program that treats it’s kids like human beings. Once a Term fan, always a Terp fan but everyone has to go
Posted by bringbacktheshellmet on Aug 10, 2018 | 8:17 PM
-----------------
Really

You think rebuilding a program from the ground up again is easier playing Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan and Ohio State as opposed to playing Virginia, Duke, Wake Forest and NC State? Ok, you can make that argument, but very few will buy it. Maryland has to rebuild in a brutally competitive environment. Read a recent article in the Athletic over Kansas’ intractable problem in having Charlie Weis reduce the number of scholarship players to in the 40’s. It will take years to rebuild, even with great and consistent recruiting. This is why coaches need to be balanced and principled – to succeed at all but the best of the best programs – you need to get kids to stay and develop all four years. And it is hardly an irrational conclusion that getting to that condition will be very difficult in the Big 10
Posted by rogermortimer on Aug 10, 2018 | 8:20 PM
---------------

Times have changed. Most of that was just standard procedure in my high school locker room. No one died though, so there’s that...

Though the bullying culture stuff got top billing in the ESPiN piece, the bigger issue is deficient health care being a factor in Jordan McNair's death.
It's all part of the same problem. Witnesses said that one of the training staff screamed "drag his ass off the field" when Jordan McNair collapsed.

From ESPN:

The belittling, humiliation and embarrassment of players is common. In one example, a player whom coaches wanted to lose weight was forced to eat candy bars as he was made to watch teammates working out.

Extreme verbal abuse of players occurs often. Players are routinely the targets of obscenity-laced epithets meant to mock their masculinity when they are unable to complete a workout or weight lift, for example. One player was belittled verbally after passing out during a drill.

Coaches have endorsed unhealthy eating habits and used food punitively; for example, a player said he was forced to overeat or eat to the point of vomiting.

"If a kid would stop or go on the ground, him and the medical staff would try to drag players up and get them to run after they'd already reached their limit. They definitely bullied us to make sure we kept on going."

"They were trying to make me gain weight really, really fast," said the player, who left the program. "That involved me overeating a lot, sometimes eating until I threw up. They always had me come back for extra meals. Once, I was sitting down eating with a coach, and he basically made me sit there until I threw up. He said to eat until I threw up. I was doing what they asked me to do, trying to gain the weight, but at the time, I just couldn't gain the weight, and I guess they weren't understanding that."

The most absolutely heartbreaking part of the story:
McNair's father, Martin, declined an interview request but said of his son: "As much as I miss my son, what I really miss, I miss being a father. I miss that fatherly advice of, 'How is your week going?' Ending a call with 'I love you.' ... That's what I miss most. That's the empty void for me right now."

Rot in hell, Durkin, you POS.

Reading that reminded me of Pyle's treatment in Full Metal Jacket
Thought the same thing:
hE88E04E9

WarmAdorableEuropeanpolecat.gif

Durkin and Court are absolute scumbags. Hope that some posters don't think that their behavior was appropriate.

Mike Rice times 100.....They will shut down the program after this gets looked at.....
Not sure what will happen. Pretty sure this won't. NCAA won't impose the death penalty - they might not do anything at all. I'd be shocked beyond belief if UMD voluntarily shuts it down, even for one year.

Reactions: koleszar
video killed the radio star.. and Ray Rice.. and Mike Rice.

Lesson one: If Rice is your last name.. change it.

Lesson two: Don't do anything questionable on video.

Lesson three: Or just always do the right thing (Thank's Spike Lee!)

Well played. Although, Jerry might take exception to lesson one. Better to be Jerry Rice than Jerry Sandusky... lol

Seriously though, so glad this isn't RU. Really bad situation down there, apparently.

Not sure what will happen. Pretty sure this won't. NCAA won't impose the death penalty - they might not do anything at all. I'd be shocked beyond belief if UMD voluntarily shuts it down, even for one year.
Agreed, they won't shut it down and the NCAA won't get involved. But Durkin he's the head guy, he was there overseeing everything. Ultimate responsibility falls on his shoulders. He could have intervened at any point, or ordered others to do so.

Practices are run like the military, everyone takes their que from the head coach, why he is skating while secondary staff is suspended is beyond me. The head man wouldn't here at Rutgers, he'd be suspended until conclusion of the investigation. A kid died and it wasn't from a preexisting condition. There whole system failed this kid, a system installed by Durkin.

Reactions: satnom and Block R
Agreed, they won't shut it down and the NCAA won't get involved. But Durkin he's the head guy, he was there overseeing everything. Ultimate responsibility falls on his shoulders. He could have intervened at any point, or ordered others to do so.

Practices are run like the military, everyone takes their que from the head coach, why he is skating while secondary staff is suspended is beyond me. The head man wouldn't here at Rutgers, he'd be suspended until conclusion of the investigation. A kid died and it wasn't from a preexisting condition. They basically worked the kid to the point his body shut down. That's what you call gross negligence, their entire system failed.
Durkin was reported to be at the session when Jordan McNair collapsed.
#DJKnew

Half the high school football and basketball coaches in Middlesex County were far worse than Rice. Rice got railroaded because he used a homosexual slur and because the media knew our particular school administration doesn't really care about athletics (which made Rice low-hanging fruit).
You've been saying this for years and you've been wrong for years. Rice was a known psycho risk before he came to RU and he delivered with completely unacceptable, abusive behavior, which created a highly toxic environment. Just because coaches were assholes in the past doesn't make it ok now. Hated that kind of crap in HS. And Durkin is gone, as he should be - probably even worse than Rice.

You've been saying this for years and you've been wrong for years. Rice was a known psycho risk before he came to RU and he delivered with completely unacceptable, abusive behavior, which created a highly toxic environment. Just because coaches were assholes in the past doesn't make it ok now. Hated that kind of crap in HS. And Durkin is gone, as he should be - probably even worse than Rice.

Agree that Rice had issues and the video event was just a small part BUT none of his players died. This event isn't "probably" worse than Rice, it is definitely worse than Rice. If what we have read is true, this could be criminally negligent manslaughter.

Reactions: DJK8 and satnom
One of the most indicting parts of the article that demonstrate how Durkin changed the culture of the program was the anonymous testimony from former staffers/players noticed the transformation of the head athletic trainer, who served under Friedgeon and Edsall since 2006, from well mannered professional to something he was not under Durkin, another goon staffer pushing players beyond their break point, The athletic trainer should have best interest of the player at heart. This debacle is on Durkin and those that enabled him.

Got to love ESPN they sat on this story until the beginning of training camp. Maximizing the clicks. Should have been posted some time ago.

GO RU

Reactions: Rutgers8086
Times change and people need to adapt to those changes. Not so long ago, this behavior wasn't necessarily the norm, but wasn't exactly frowned upon either. Durkin should have known better, especially after our experience with Rice.

It's a shame that it led to McNair's death. Even crazier that their behavior hasn't changed.

Not sure I'd want to be in the shoes of those current players who were interviewed. Even annonomously, there are sure to be some leaks or conjectures. Even if the coaches don't make life harder on them, some team members might.

Reactions: ATIOH
This is not going to end well. I know he was a great kid and I felt sad about it, but until now I thought it was just one of those random, unavoidable tragedies. Now it seems that wasn't the case. How do you botch something like this?

We had a game-changing death in 1986. This one will be worse...

ETA: Every program is full of the hyper-alpha coaches who scream at players to push, push, push! (I've always thought coaches like that were a-holes, and hated playing for them) But in my opinion, that's not where the problem lies here. The tragedy is that the part of the staff that was supposed to push back and protect (and save the lives of) the players completely dropped the ball. If that's the case, it's unforgivable. But of course, there's plenty of "unforgivable" all around.

Last edited:
I think DJ is going to have to be fired. The one thing the program has left is that they didn't cover it up or circle the wagons. Can't lose that.

Besides, if the culture is truly "toxic," something went in the wrong direction and needs to be changed.

One notable development is that most Maryland fans are as outraged as everybody else, and are not in any mood to hide this or save the coach if current perceptions match reality. I think that's the right attitude...

Last edited:
Clicked onto BTN this morning and I see them doing the visiting camp thing at Maryland. Although they did interject some new stuff about the inquiry, maybe they should have deleted the interview with Durkin.
All in all, I found the whole program unsettling.

One notable development is that most Maryland fans are as outraged as everybody else, and are not in any mood to hide this or save the coach if current perceptions match reality. I think that's the right attitude...
Of course you guys do. You're in the Northeast(I don't include psu in this region) you guy's have your priorities in the correct order. Athletics will always take a back seat to morality, the way it should be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT