ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday night B1G - Michigan, IU, Maryland

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
Michigan up on Florida 62-57 with 11:37 left

IU was losing 64-49 to Morehead State but just went on a 16-0 run in the last 5 minutes. IU now up 65-64 with 2:52 left.

IU holds on to win 69-68

Florida now up on Michigan 68-67 with 6:24 left

Michigan down 4 late forces overtime.

At 6-5 they really need this one because I dont see them going 13-7 in the Big 10

Looks like Maryland are giving Nichols State all it can handle too

Nicholls taking it to Maryland right now, up 43-34 with 14:27 left. Some of it is fools gold 3-pt shooting (9-13), but MD also looks like crap.

Michigan horrific late game execution. They were exhausted, very little depth to stand up to a fast-paced 2OT game.
That is called horrendous coaching. Howard didn’t sub out for last 4 minutes of the game or both overtime’s. They have capable backups.
Overall, the struggles of Indiana, Maryland and Michigan show how down the BIg 10 is this year. Purdue and Illinois maybe and then a crapshoot.
Now that Mag is back and our guards just have to play better and shoot better , I like our chances.

Michigan and Maryland have put themselves in an almost impossible spot to make the NCAA tourney. Michigan may have 2 Q1 wins but vs St Johns and Iowa 2 schools that themselves are not tourney teams. At 6-6 with a game to go vs Mc Neese, they will need to go 12-6 the rest of the way in Big 10 play, good luck

Maryland at 7-4 currently as a NET of 147 and SOS non conference of 326. They HAVE to win at UCLA in their next game. They have a Q4 loss, and a border line Q2/Q3 loss to Davidson. Their best non conference win was last night vs 203 Nicholls and their best win right now is Penn State. Its getting late early for Willard

Michigan and Maryland have put themselves in an almost impossible spot to make the NCAA tourney. Michigan may have 2 Q1 wins but vs St Johns and Iowa 2 schools that themselves are not tourney teams. At 6-6 with a game to go vs Mc Neese, they will need to go 12-6 the rest of the way in Big 10 play, good luck

Maryland at 7-4 currently as a NET of 147 and SOS non conference of 326. They HAVE to win at UCLA in their next game. They have a Q4 loss, and a border line Q2/Q3 loss to Davidson. Their best non conference win was last night vs 203 Nicholls and their best win right now is Penn State. Its getting late early for Willard
Yeah, the Terrapins are in a bad spot (although I think they will ultimately make the NCAAs). First they went down to North Carolina and lost to two mid-majors. Then they were crushed by Villanova (the final score was bad, but the beating was even worse).

Unfortunately, UCLA took a bad loss recently. It will be tough for the Terps to win out there, and now it's lost some of it's luster.

The main reason (in my opinion) they have not lived up to the hype is that the two so-called super-freshmen are not performing as expected. There was a lot of talk about one of them being a one-and-done, and the other was a great shooter until now. Everybody else is performing as expected; Julian Reese getting better and better, and I don't think there are many players anywhere who are outperforming Jahmir Young.

But they need those freshmen, who are getting plenty of playing time, to turn the corner...

Reactions: LOU-RU85
Watched the last 10 min. and the OTs of the Michigan v FL game. Howard runs absolute ZERO offense. Every time down the court way too much one-on-one dribbling as the ball gets stuck in the PGs hands for long periods. There defense was also porous giving up numerous late drives to the hole by FL which fueled their comeback.

do you think Maryland will finish 12-8 in league, because they will have to at this point
Sorry for the late reply, BAC. But it's probably better though, because I have changed my mind. I would have said "Yes" that day, but now I think this is going to end up as a disappointing season with <12 conference wins.

We were pretty excited about our super freshmen, especially Deshawn Harris-Smith, who was talked about in the national media as a "one-and-done." He's a great kid, and I love that he "acts like he's been there" (I'm old school). He fills the stat sheet with rebounds, assists, steals, and points, and is a smart player. But he hasn't had the impact that us message board morons were yapping about. Both of these freshmen (the other is Jamie Kaiser, who, from what I understand, is similar to Gavin Griffiths but possibly a bit more athletic) will be super-valuable college players eventually, but right now there just isn't enough on the roster to generate too much enthusiasm right now.

Losing Hakim Hart to Villanova hurt more than I expected; he'd turned into a really valuable player.

I don't follow recruiting much, but I'm pretty sure they're going to be getting a commit from a 5-star big for next year. That will help...

Reactions: bac2therac
Yeah, the Terrapins are in a bad spot (although I think they will ultimately make the NCAAs). First they went down to North Carolina and lost to two mid-majors. Then they were crushed by Villanova (the final score was bad, but the beating was even worse).

Unfortunately, UCLA took a bad loss recently. It will be tough for the Terps to win out there, and now it's lost some of it's luster.

The main reason (in my opinion) they have not lived up to the hype is that the two so-called super-freshmen are not performing as expected. There was a lot of talk about one of them being a one-and-done, and the other was a great shooter until now. Everybody else is performing as expected; Julian Reese getting better and better, and I don't think there are many players anywhere who are outperforming Jahmir Young.

But they need those freshmen, who are getting plenty of playing time, to turn the corner...
Ha, I called that one. 37 points at UCLA two days later...

I see the sos is 299 and non conference sos is just 312. They played only 2 Q1/2 thus far and have a Quad 4 loss. Of course beat Purdue tonight and things looks brighter

I see the sos is 299 and non conference sos is just 312. They played only 2 Q1/2 thus far and have a Quad 4 loss. Of course beat Purdue tonight and things looks brighter
Inexcusable.

I haven't seen any sign of it, but I am hoping that Coach Willard alters the trend started by his predecessor of weak scheduling...

scheduled Nova and UCLA (who has turned out to be awful) but 8 Q4 games right now....didnt Willard say something about how tough the Big 10 is that he doesnt want to schedule too tough?

who knows next year with the addition of 4 schools how this is all going to play out and if they will go to 22

scheduled Nova and UCLA (who has turned out to be awful) but 8 Q4 games right now....didnt Willard say something about how tough the Big 10 is that he doesnt want to schedule too tough?

who knows next year with the addition of 4 schools how this is all going to play out and if they will go to 22
I'll give him credit for UCLA, but Villanova was assigned via the Gavitt Games. I like Kevin Willard so far, except for sentences in which he says "schedule." He's got some fixation with perfect timing of home and road games, turnaround time, etc.

I'll give him credit for UCLA, but Villanova was assigned via the Gavitt Games. I like Kevin Willard so far, except for sentences in which he says "schedule." He's got some fixation with perfect timing of home and road games, turnaround time, etc.
I think SHU fans will tell you that's nothing new with him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT