ADVERTISEMENT

TURN AROUND

read option

All Conference
Nov 12, 2013
For the guys who think our DB's are properly coached to play the position, once again it was proven yesterday that you're wrong. EMU threw over our heads at least a dozen times, all because their staff knew that we are not properly coached to play the deep(er) ball, as have many coaching staffs in the past 20 yrs (if not more).

I'm not going to yet again go through the basics of how the position is played because I'm wasting my time on this board doing that, but if people can't see this huge deficiency in our coaching of DB's then you're just lost on the subject.

Ash was supposed to be a big defensive coach? What a joke. Clearly it was the talent he was coaching who had better coaches than him who taught them the right way to play deep passes. Ash is showing he knows nothing.

Last edited:
not for nothing the EMU QB threw the back shoulder like a pro. his accuracy was superb, he put the ball where only his receiver could make a play or it goes out of bounds.

Fair point, but would you agree our DB's generally played the deep passes poorly?

not for nothing the EMU QB threw the back shoulder like a pro. his accuracy was superb, he put the ball where only his receiver could make a play or it goes out of bounds.

Agreed, also had a big hit in the middle of the field that appeared to be a blown assignment by Hampton, who was then benched for the rest of the series.

Rutgers had no pass rush for most of the game which gave Eastern Michigan quarterback time to find open receiver.Their offensive play calling was more varied by passing on first down and mixing in running plays that were effective.

I think Logan Ryan knew what to do when here..... the other RU players that played for the Pats learned how to defend even better when they got to the pros..... they became ball hawks..... you go get it

For the guys who think our DB's are properly coached to play the position, once again it was proven yesterday that you're wrong. EMU threw over our heads at least a dozen times, all because their staff knew that we are not properly coached to play the deep(er) ball, as have many coaching staffs in the past 20 yrs (if not more).

I'm not going to yet again go through the basics of how the position is played because I'm wasting my time on this board doing that, but if people can't see this huge deficiency in our coaching of DB's then you're just lost on the subject.

Ash was supposed to be a big defensive coach? What a joke. Clearly it was the talent he was coaching who had better coaches than him who taught them the right way to play deep passes. Ash is showing he knows nothing.
Our DBs played like they never played the position !

Rutgers had no pass rush for most of the game which gave Eastern Michigan quarterback time to find open receiver.Their offensive play calling was more varied by passing on first down and mixing in running plays that were effective.
That's called cohesion, in sync and using one play to set up another, something our coaches are incredibly incapable of.
We're just a jumbled mess of runs up the middle and deep balls... accept for one successful series of running off tackle that stopped inexplicably after we scored a TD.

I think Logan Ryan knew what to do when here..... the other RU players that played for the Pats learned how to defend even better when they got to the pros..... they became ball hawks..... you go get it

Right. And now that he's in the NFL it's clear he did it on talent, not the Rutgers coaching.

Everything you wrote is 100% accurate. But how is the criticisms in your post corrected?

Oh good. This thread. Happy we have never discussed this before, thanks OP! Do me a favor and go run down your street and look backwards while you do it. Let us know when your teeth bite your neighbors Cadillac.

Everything you wrote is 100% accurate. But how is the criticisms in your post corrected?

1) When you play tight man coverage on the outside try jamming the WR at the LOS.

2) Jam him or not, force his path to the boundary and limit the space from the field to sideline for the QB to fit the pass in

3) Legally ride the WR a bit so you can feel him while still being able to find the ball when it arrives.

4) When you have no help over top, you must run with the WR the entire way. No point slowing down or thinking you're helping anything in front of you.

5) When you are in the red zone, use the end line boundary as your ally. If a guy runs past you the ball must be coming. Why else is he over the top in the endzone? Also must realize in that scenario there is no help behind you. That guy is yours.

6) Last and probably most important, if you execute all of the things mentioned, you will have a play on the ball. When the ball is on its way the WR must look back for it to make a catch. YOU MUST look back for the ball. You might break a pass up or make an INT, you might not sometimes, but you also avoid PI by looking for the ball. When you don't it's an easy PI call.

Oh good. This thread. Happy we have never discussed this before, thanks OP! Do me a favor and go run down your street and look backwards while you do it. Let us know when your teeth bite your neighbors Cadillac.

Just shows you don't have a clue as to how to play the position.

6) Last and probably most important, if you execute all of the things mentioned, you will have a play on the ball. When the ball is on its way the WR must look back for it to make a catch. YOU MUST look back for the ball. You might break a pass up or make an INT, you might not sometimes, but you also avoid PI by looking for the ball. When you don't it's an easy PI call.

point six is where we fail most of the time..... I think our defenders are taught the "angels in the outfield" last line of defense..... which is waving your arms around, not looking back, with the hope that somehow your arms or body gets in the way of the ball and it hits you by accident.....and all the while you risk a pass interference call because it is clear you are not going for the ball yourself, and the ball has a better chance of being caught by the receiver

1) When you play tight man coverage on the outside try jamming the WR at the LOS.

2) Jam him or not, force his path to the boundary and limit the space from the field to sideline for the QB to fit the pass in

3) Legally ride the WR a bit so you can feel him while still being able to find the ball when it arrives.

4) When you have no help over top, you must run with the WR the entire way. No point slowing down or thinking you're helping anything in front of you.

5) When you are in the red zone, use the end line boundary as your ally. If a guy runs past you the ball must be coming. Why else is he over the top in the endzone? Also must realize in that scenario there is no help behind you. That guy is yours.

Wow, an informative, mature and knowledgeable response. Thank you.

Is OP on scholarship?

Reactions: 17Q66
If we didn't have much of a pass rush, why didn't we blitz? Their qb had all day back there.

I was embarrassed by our DB play yesterday. I have to say. They played it wrong on so many plays.

WR Sergio Bailey is also a top WR on the Biletnikoff list

Good technique goes out the window when a DB is overmatched. Even good DBs get overmatched if there is no mayhem from DL

Last edited:
I don't think we were going to get a shut out no matter how good our defense played. Holding them to two TDs, 16 points should have been good enough to win. I don't understand why we stopped the effective running plays that worked so well in the 3rd quarter. It felt like we couldn't be stopped.

He made some great throws. But our dbs still sucked, which was supposed to be an Ash strength.

I have been yelling turnaround from years from my seat and nobody listens.
Our DB's continued to get beat like rented mules every year.
We have incompetent Coaches. Ash will likely be looking for work in 2019.
My whole section yells it. With regard to the decades-long argument about this topic, no team at the NFL or college level that defends the pass with any effectiveness does it the way we saw it done Saturday.

I've been saying that our DB's have to look for the ball since Schiano. Much opposition on this board each time I brought it up.

Reactions: read option
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT