ADVERTISEMENT

Tyson Acuff - incoming transfer

My main question is: will this guy be closing games?
He seems to be a better (though unproven at this level) JWill?

If so, would we need both on the floor the final 8min of a game?
JWill, Dylan, Acuff, Ace, Center?
Or would a bigger, better rebounding option be on the floor?
Closing out wins, we need 3 guards that can handle, pass and shoot FTs. So the answer is YES.
Maybe. And maybe stiffer competition will result in worse looks, not better looks. And maybe more athletic and better defenders will result in a worse conversion percentage. And maybe more pressure and tougher arenas will result in a lower shooting percentage and free throw percentage. And maybe less playing time will result in worse rhythm and scoring. And maybe . . . . Anyone can play this game.

All you're doing is playing the assumption game: Assume fewer minutes. Assume that's a good thing. Assume it's a good thing because somehow it creates mainly open looks, lots of them, say 6-9. Assume none of these changes create problems that my other assumptions didn't account for. Assume he's Steph Curry. Voila.

I won't play the assumption game. But I'm happy to hope that the things that you're assuming turn out to be true.
1. His role is changing. That is not an assumption.

2. I like your last sentence.

Go Knights!

Reactions: willisneverrana43
Yeah, but they will guard him. You know that, right? And he'll be guarded by a B1G athlete, not an A-10 or MAC player.

Obviously not the same players but this is similar to the Austin Williams discussion last off season.
About being a “scorer” at a lower level.
Even had the same “look at his game against Baylor” narrative.

The general notion of “scorer” moving up gives me pause.

I am thinking Jwill and JaMike have a 40 minute time share of the 1.

We are talking about 120 minutes betweeen the 2 and 4.

If Ace and Dylan lock 64 up and Acuff takes a minimum of 28 we have 1 more piece that takes 28. After that we need the center position and depth at the 2 thru 4....

Reactions: BillyC80
Like Kiss got buckets in Pikes offense before transferring to Bryant and lead the nation in scoring while taking his team to the NCAA tournament?
Peter Kiss came to Rutgers and shot better %'s from 2 and from 3 (but slightly lower overall) than he had his freshman year at Quinnipiac. He just wasn't a fit for Pike and was sent to the bench.

Reactions: Scangg
Closing out wins, we need 3 guards that can handle, pass and shoot FTs. So the answer is YES.

Will be interesting if we bring in a better 3pt shooter (Guard or wing).

Can’t imagine we bench a shooter who could pull defenders away from Ace/Dylan during a close game.
One of JWill/Acuff will have to sit likely.

1. His role is changing. That is not an assumption.

2. I like your last sentence.

Go Knights!
I have a sneaky suspicion that a guard who doesn't shoot FTs will find his way on the court in crunch time a lot of nights. Pike won't be able to help himself. Jamike and Jwill might both be on the floor when games matter.

Just a hunch.

Reactions: Scangg

If Ace and Dylan lock 64 up and Acuff takes a minimum of 28 we have 1 more piece that takes 28. After that we need the center position and depth at the 2 thru 4....

That math doesn’t work. You have zero minutes left after the transfer.
We are looking at 2 more transfers (non center)

JWill/Davis 40
Acuff 28
Transfer 28
Ace 32
Harper 32

That’s a full 160min for non-center.

I don’t see him really taking anything from Williams I expect jmike to lose minutes if anything… also, Simpson Hyatt noah and Gavin shot plenty of shots that have to be replaced too
At the very least Acuff is replacing some of the minutes and shots from our guards who left — Simpson, Noah, and Austin.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Pike is still recruiting another guard.

Will be interesting if we bring in a better 3pt shooter (Guard or wing).

Can’t imagine we bench a shooter who could pull defenders away from Ace/Dylan during a close game.
One of JWill/Acuff will have to sit likely.
I was talking about closing out the last 3-4 minutes when we have a lead.

If the last portal guard/wing Pike is recruiting makes good decisions, has a strong handle and can shoot FTs, he should play those last few minutes. But it’s all speculation at this point.

Reactions: NickRU714
That math doesn’t work. You have zero minutes left after the transfer.
We are looking at 2 more transfers (non center)

JWill/Davis 40
Acuff 28
Transfer 28
Ace 32
Harper 32

That’s a full 160min for non-center.
Someone isnt going to be happy then.

If we truly are looking for 2 more non center transfers that expect to be in rotation more than 15 minutes then i am scratching my head why Acuff?

Someone isnt going to be happy then.

If we truly are looking for 2 more non center transfers that expect to be in rotation more than 15 minutes then i am scratching my head why Acuff?
Acuff could be taking minutes away from JMike. Dylan can run point. I think the idea is
PG: Dylan
SG: Allocco or other transfer SG
SF: Williams
PF: Ace
C: Transfer C
BG: Acuff
BF: Martini
BC: Lathan
C takes up 40 minutes.
PF split 40 mins between Ace and Martini, Ace gets extra minutes at SF, let’s say 10 or so.
So 110 left.
Dylan: 30 minutes
Allocco: 25
Williams: 25
Acuff: 20
JMike: 10
Something like that. Maybe Grant plays his way into the rotation and finds some minutes somewhere. I think that’s a fair amount of minutes for everyone.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
JWill, Acuff, Alloco/Maddox, Harper, Bailey, Martinelli, Transfer C

Are we petitioning for a new rule allowing 7 starters?
7 guys on the court starting the last 5min of games?

Seems every name that comes up "will start".
7 starter quality players is ideal

Ace looked really good in the McDonald’s scrimmage…they’re on twitter saying he’s looking better than Flagg and is really confident shooting the j
8aoq6p.jpg

Ace > Mawot
Surprised Nicolas Cage GIF

Why does the order in which we bring guys in matter?
Because our 3 needs are very clear. And if the first guy he is signing isn't filling one of those needs, that makes me worry that it's not going to happen.

You can make the counterargument that a 4th need was replacing Griffiths which this accomplishes.

Note - looks our recruitment of Martini is going well so that would be a big help if he signs.

Trivia question:
What MAC player was named a second team college basketball All-American in ‘85-86?
Other consensus second team All-Americans that year included Dell Curry, David Robinson, Danny Manning, Scott Skiles and Brad Daugherty.
All those who guessed Wally Szczerbiak are incorrect.😀

Obviously not the same players but this is similar to the Austin Williams discussion last off season.
About being a “scorer” at a lower level.
Even had the same “look at his game against Baylor” narrative.

The general notion of “scorer” moving up gives me pause.
I don’t think it’s fair to compare a last minute, injury riddled Hartford transfer to a guy that averaged 22 per game in the MAC last season (who the staff clearly wanted if they offered this early).

Because our 3 needs are very clear. And if the first guy he is signing isn't filling one of those needs, that makes me worry that it's not going to happen.

You can make the counterargument that a 4th need was replacing Griffiths which this accomplishes.

Note - looks our recruitment of Martini is going well so that would be a big help if he signs.
I agree. And it’s not only about need. It’s about getting other high-demand guys before other teams do.

I think we don’t have the NIL for anyone noteworthy so we’re shopping at KMart, not Macy’s and most certainly not Lord & Taylor.

It is what it is. We bought 2 premium players and can’t afford much more. Hopefully the freshmen can deliver NCAA berth.

Except that does not make sense.

Yeah , s lower level guard will never make it in the big time. Just look at what a wash out Cam Spencer was at RU and UConn
Rather than presenting yet another extremist analysis, you might want to look at the shooting percentages for the two players that you just compared.

Thinking JMike may be a sleeper at the guard position for minutes. His defense was excellent as a frosh and is only going to get better. There will be many opportunities when we need to press and contain a big time scorer and will need his stout D.

Thinking JMike may be a sleeper at the guard position for minutes. His defense was excellent as a frosh and is only going to get better. There will be many opportunities when we need to press and contain a big time scorer and will need his stout D.

The problem with JMike is that it's basically 4 on 5 on offense.
Just begging the defenders to throw an extra defender at Dylan or Ace and hope JMike gets the ball for an "open" shot.

The problem with JMike is that it's basically 4 on 5 on offense.
Just begging the defenders to throw an extra defender at Dylan or Ace and hope JMike gets the ball for an "open" shot.
Yeah. Unless Lathan or Martini can clear out the paint due to their prowess from deep, JMike is undersized to be driving to the tin and looking to finish by himself all the time. I’d like to see a play where a backscreen is set up by the foul line to allow Lathan to roll downhill for an ally oop pass from a driving JaMike. Lathan is athletic and long enough to finish that.

Rather than presenting yet another extremist analysis, you might want to look at the shooting percentages for the two players that you just compared.

Can you compare Patriot league stats and MAC stats?
Acuff played 2 years for Duquesne, in the A-10. He played on some pretty horrific teams too:

2021-22 Duquesne was 1-16/3-11
The last 2 years at EMU his teams were 5-13/8-23 and this year 6-12/13-18.

The last full year Cam was at Loyola MD (2021-22) he "only" shot 35.3% for 3 Pt and 44.4% FG.
Acuff shot 34.4% and 29.2% from 3 PT and 45.8% and 43.% FG%.

Kind of apples and oranges, but one could argue their stats are comparable and in the same range including noise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT