ADVERTISEMENT

Tyson Acuff - incoming transfer

No - specifically, I don’t think it’s fair to focus on the shooting percentage (or scoring output in general for that matter) for a kid who attempted that many shots mostly in games where his team was outmatched. He had to have been told to fire away - he went from 330 attempts to 506. That’s a huge jump. Nobody would be at their most efficient taking 506 shots. You have to be forcing. Only one player in the country averaged more attempts per game than Tyson. He took 3+ more attempts than all but 20 D1 players. That’s nuts. On the other hand - his scoring numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt too because a lot of the points would’ve come in garbage time being how bad his team was and he was the one taking all the shots.

It’s not that. He was only a sophomore coming off a frosh campaign as a utility player. He wasn’t going to be the go to player then so by default he wasn’t in a position to force.
It's always something to watch data miners explain themselves. This "had to have" happened. That should be taken "with a grain of salt." He wasn't the "go to player" and so he "wasn't in a position to force." He was shooting a lot in "garbage time. As if go-to players are destined to shoot badly. As if garbage time is well-known for its tight defense. This kind of "of-the-moment" logic can have you twisting yourself so much that you're arguing back into your own face.

It's OK to root for him coming in and being a huge help. I am. But I'm not sure why it's so difficult to acknowledge that the numbers, and not your fantastical mangling of them, mean that this guy is by no means a sure-shot. Posts like this just remind us that it's the off season (at least for RU) and here comes the off season logic.

Reactions: Fat Koko
It seems highly unlikely he would choose to join a team with 2 projected one and done lottery picks if he was looking to be the focal point of the offense. There are plenty of places he could have gone to continue along in that role. Seems to me you only make this move if your looking to be a part of something big knowing your usage will go down significantly.
Exactly

And we still have people ignoring he was a good 3 point shooter until last year. He's a good FT shooter too

Do people think he actually became a worse shooter? Or is it that he was jacking up a million shots on a bad team with no help and the defense focused on him?

Now imagine the quality of looks he will get with Ace Dylan JWill around him

Use some common sense people

It's always something to watch data miners explain themselves. This "had to have" happened. That should be taken "with a grain of salt." He wasn't the "go to player" and so he "wasn't in a position to force." He was shooting a lot in "garbage time. As if go-to players are destined to shoot badly. As if garbage time is well-known for its tight defense. This kind of "of-the-moment" logic can have you twisting yourself so much that you're arguing back into your own face.

It's OK to root for him coming in and being a huge help. I am. But I'm not sure why it's so difficult to acknowledge that the numbers, and not your fantastical mangling of them, mean that this guy is by no means a sure-shot. Posts like this just remind us that it's the off season (at least for RU) and here comes the off season logic.

For me the numbers that matter most would be his percentage from 3 as an off-guard or spot up shooter and how he is with open looks. I imagine that the offense will be constructed around Ace/Dylan who will likely garner a lot of defensive attention. This would hopefully create open looks for other players.

Left temple…and his entire team did..battle (Arkansas) hicks (penn st) Dunn (Houston) Jourdain (Memphis) Reynolds (cincinatti) and Mckie resigned
forced to transfer from isu for gambling investigation (which turned out to be a bogus investigation and the state of Iowa is being sued by everyone involved now)
Left Illinois after the board wouldn’t approve his admission amid the investigation
I don’t think he ran from a starting role on 2 different sweet 16 teams 😂

Good stuff. Maybe you’re not the troll we assumed you to be lol

Many of these posters are either scared rabbits, blame gamers, trolls or just plain silly. Nothing satisfies some and that's why they will never be happy and will always be blowing in the wind. If you don't trust our coaches go root for someone else because you'll eternally be unhappy and it won't matter who are our players, coaches or AD or how the snow was cleared.
some of these posters actually are right more times than not. just because some bring up concerns doesn't mean they are not happy or less of a fan.

Nah dude - that’s not my MO. They say Martini is going to commit. I’m not as impressed with his numbers. Have trouble making sense of a 4 who only secures 3 rebounds a game. You’ll see I won’t “make excuses” as you call it, for that. I see him more as a role player at RU. I call it as I see it. Unless your Zach Edey dominant college player, 506 attempts means your forcing a ton.

I swear we could sign Michael Jordan, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and Larry Bird in their prime and some people on this board would find something negative
Those guys are really old!!! And out of eligibility. WTF?

mtv GIF

seems like a good pick-up...do we know what other schools contacted and/or offered him?

Searching his name, there was a report on a Duke message board that Acuff visited Kentucky and Michigan. If true, that's a good sign that others believe in his ability to contribute at this level.

Also, if his 3Pt% was that low, on the plus side, I assume he is a lot better at the rim/mid range to get to 22 ppg. Plus he has some size and experience. This looks very solid.

So you don't think it's fair to look at his overall percentage and how he performed each year. Instead, you think it's fair to highlight only his performance in only a couple of years, starting with his play for a 1-16 team in the Atlantic 10. OK.
Agree with you.

Here are some stats wort considering collectively. To hyperfocus on 3 pt shooting percentage misses the mark.

For 2023-24 season, #7 in NCAAM in scoring.
Overall 43.3% in FG%, right in line with everyone else in the 10 shooters, except for Edey.
Solid FT%, in line with others in top 10 scorers.
For those scoring 20 points or more per game, he has the highest amount of minutes per game (37.9, tied with one other player).

Not sure why there are complaints, but then again this is a Rutgers message board, where complaints rule the day.

Searching his name, there was a report on a Duke message board that Acuff visited Kentucky and Michigan. If true, that's a good sign that others believe in his ability to contribute at this level.

Also, if his 3Pt% was that low, on the plus side, I assume he is a lot better at the rim/mid range to get to 22 ppg. Plus he has some size and experience. This looks very solid.
Found the same thread and believe it was calling out that Darius Acuff (2025 cousin) had visited Kentucky and Michigan

Reactions: Scangg
@fluoxetine Not really my expertise but taking a very, very quick glance at their stats last year it looks like EMU was quite bad talent-wise. Curious your thoughts?

He averaged 22 ppg which is a lot but his 3 pt% was 29.2%. We have Ace and Dylan to fill the bucket. Did we need another high volume shooter? However, I like that his FT% is 81%.

Why are you so high on this?
His brother is a '25 recruit we're after

Just based on the highlights video alone he would have been the best finisher on RU's roster this past season. Also, his shot form looks pretty good, smooth stroke with release at the peak of jump. Would be good to know why his 3pt % decreased and if it was from taking more overall contested 3's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT