ADVERTISEMENT

Tyson Acuff - incoming transfer

Mid 30's is more than fine from 3. That would be amazing compared to recent years

Alloco or another guard and Martini are even better from 3

What does a center have to do with this at all? 🤣

His 3 point shooting will be fine. He can hit the mid range and is excellent finishing at the rim at 66%. These are all needs. Guards who can play is a huge need. This is a very good get. A veteran scorer to take pressure off Dylan and Ace, especially if they take a little time to adjust. If there are any injuries, he will have no problem stepping up into a bigger role
Plus, you can’t choose who is going to commit first. A good pickup is a good pickup.

We got duped thinking Fernandes from inferior conference would fill Paul or Cam's shoes. This is another big gamble, hopefully just for bench guy.

JWill, Acuff, Alloco/Maddox, Harper, Bailey, Martinelli, Transfer C

Are we petitioning for a new rule allowing 7 starters?
7 guys on the court starting the last 5min of games?

Seems every name that comes up "will start".

Reactions: Scangg

Who is Martinelli? Feel like I've seen that name mentioned a number of times. Is that the kid from Northwestern?

Martinelli will not/cannot start. Alloco would but we won’t get him.

Reactions: NickRU714
You’ll notice he played too many minutes for EMU, averaging almost 38 minutes per game. With more intermittent rest I’m sure his 3pt shooting percentage will improve, especially in the second half of games.

Also, with our other scoring options on the floor in Ace and Dylan, he won’t need to take as many threes, but he will always be a threat from deep that will have to be accounted for. He is a prolific scorer and money from the FT line.
I think the offset of expending more energy is a bigger negative than going from 38 to 30 minutes.

I am hoping “less volume” shots can take him in to the mid to high 30s

Reactions: Scangg and BillyC80
Sorry if posted already, but in case anyone hasn’t seen this and still wants to see him in a full game and not just in highlights, this is the EMU vs Bowling Green overtime full game from January. Tyson Acuff is #5 in green uniform.. 13-29FG, 31pts, 43 minutes.

Reactions: Scangg and BillyC80
Trivia question:
What MAC player was named a second team college basketball All-American in ‘85-86?
Other consensus second team All-Americans that year included Dell Curry, David Robinson, Danny Manning, Scott Skiles and Brad Daugherty.

I think the offset of expending more energy is a bigger negative than going from 38 to 30 minutes.

I am hoping “less volume” shots can take him in to the mid to high 30s

That’s one way to project optimism. Here’s another. Ironically, nobody has yet mentioned the pink elephant (and likely worst case scenerio outcome for Acuff). So let’s just get it out there and play it out - okay?

The real worst case here is - Acuff translates to Peter Kiss - as in the poster child RU example of a kid who put up big numbers at a mid major but didn’t contribute much at RU.

But even looking at that - its important to note that in this case we are getting a super senior which is worlds different (a kid with 3 extra years of experience). The apples to apples comparison wouldn’t be to the sophomore version of Kiss that we got from Quinnipac after an inefficient but productive frosh debut (13 ppg). The super senior version of Peter Kiss that produced the 20+ ppg (similar numbers to Acuff) was in fact coming off quite different looking output than what we had inherited in that case. By way of apples to apples - Kiss was much more efficient and productive as a junior at Bryant than he was as a frosh at Quinnipac. We have no way of knowing what he would’ve done in a RU jersey in the Bryant years but one thing is certain - he improved a lot from the kid we inherited from Quinnipac. That’s indisputable apples to apples number comparisons.

Disagree. We have three very specific needs and this player does not fill any of them. If we had landed him as the 4th guy after we already had 3 guys filling those primary needs, I'd have a much rosier outlook.
I would add that Pike had another need; an experienced big guard or wing to significantly upgrade Griffiths’ spot…and Pike just landed him in Acuff.

And I know you realize that Pike can’t force the sequence of when these players commit. He has to identify players quickly, and close players timely or they will choose another team.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRU2RU
Where did I? Now, if you're asking whether I would focus on only those two years and not the other two, like you just did, no I won't do that.
But on O, his role on our team will be MUCH different than on EMU last year, as we he will be surrounded by other scorers.

Do you at least acknowledge that if Acuff’s role at RU is to play appropriately 20 minutes (not 38) and to shoot mainly 6-9 open, good looks per game, he will likely shoot a much higher percentage compared to last year?

Last edited:
Reactions: RedTeam1994
This pick up fits an uptempo style of offense fueled by an aggressive defense. Getting to the rim will be our objective, but maybe this year we will make some shots. I assume Pike will be looking for a poor man’s Cliff to block shots and a kick out 3 point shooter to fill the roster.

seems like a good pick-up...do we know what other schools contacted and/or offered him?
No one of note! He was ranked 186 as a transfer guard by 247 sports amd somewhere in the mid 400’s analytically. More of a move to try and land his cousin Darious.

Acuff shot 66% "at the rim". That's really, really good.
Big ten has a little more size inside at the rim then Mid America. His style makes sense for Pikes antiquatEd offense. Ball dominant. isolation, pick and roll. Hopefully leads to his cousin

But his role on our team will be MUCH different than last year.

Do you at least acknowledge that if Acuff’s role at RU is to play 20 minutes (not 38) and to shoot mainly 6-9 open, good looks per game, because there are other scorers on the floor with him, that he will likely shoot a much higher percentage compared to last year?
Maybe. And maybe stiffer competition will result in worse looks, not better looks. And maybe more athletic and better defenders will result in a worse conversion percentage. And maybe more pressure and tougher arenas will result in a lower shooting percentage and free throw percentage. And maybe less playing time will result in worse rhythm and scoring. And maybe . . . . Anyone can play this game.

All you're doing is playing the assumption game: Assume fewer minutes. Assume that's a good thing. Assume it's a good thing because somehow it creates mainly open looks, lots of them, say 6-9. Assume none of these changes create problems that my other assumptions didn't account for. Assume he's Steph Curry. Voila.

I won't play the assumption game. But I'm happy to hope that the things that you're assuming turn out to be true.

Trivia question:
What MAC player was named a second team college basketball All-American in ‘85-86?
Other consensus second team All-Americans that year included Dell Curry, David Robinson, Danny Manning, Scott Skiles and Brad Daugherty.
I'm sure this will have been answered 10 times when I read down, but I'm guessing Ron Harper?

Acuff will do fine maybe 13-15 ppg…yeah there’s much more rim protection at the b10 level but he won’t be the focal point of the other teams defensive game plan like he was this season (still averaging 20+ ppg) so that will help. The best perimeter defender on the other team won’t guard him every night….coming to Rutgers playing with 2 lottery picks is gonna work in his favor

Acuff will do fine maybe 13-15 ppg…yeah there’s much more rim protection at the b10 level but he won’t be the focal point of the other teams defensive game plan like he was this season (still averaging 20+ ppg) so that will help. The best perimeter defender on the other team won’t guard him every night….coming to Rutgers playing with 2 lottery picks is gonna work in his favor
I don't think he'll get upwards of 15, but the kid is what this roster needed, a veteran guard that can score. Need that around youth.

Reactions: PaKnight

13-15ppg would have led the team in scoring the past two years.

That seems doubtful if he is splitting time with JWill, Transfer G to be named (Alloco for example), Davis and Harper.

Unless he’s taking JWills minutes.

Reactions: Scangg and RUby RED
13-15ppg would have led the team in scoring the past two years.

That seems doubtful if he is splitting time with JWill, Transfer G to be named (Alloco for example), Davis and Harper.

Unless he’s taking JWills minutes.
Top 10 scorer in the nation is gonna get buckets…he would’ve averaged 15 this year at Rutgers if he took simpsons shots

Top 10 scorer in the nation is gonna get buckets…he would’ve averaged 15 this year at Rutgers if he took simpsons shots
Like Kiss got buckets in Pikes offense before transferring to Bryant and lead the nation in scoring while taking his team to the NCAA tournament?

But he’s not taking Simpson’s starting role.
That’s Harper’s.
Hes the 3rd guard behind JWill and Harper.
Potentially 4th guard it sounds like if Alloco commits?

You do lead me to consider another question though - does Acuff supplant JWill?

Reactions: Scangg
I don’t see him really taking anything from Williams I expect jmike to lose minutes if anything… also, Simpson Hyatt noah and Gavin shot plenty of shots that have to be replaced too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT