ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATED: Guess how a typical Weeks TV schedule would work using new deal

Sep 11, 2006
(EDIT: original OP as too long, too complicated)

Here's a sample GUESS..

I will rank the games first... wow.. this is hard.. I went my market size as much as anything else... while estimates of team quality based on current mindshare are part of it.. this is hard.. and I still don't know the pick order and how it works...

This LINK may be a good source for info about how it works..

Michigan - Rutgers Piscataway, NJ Rank 3.. TV: Time:
Iowa - Purdue West Lafayette, Ind Rank 7.. TV: Time:
Penn State - Indiana Bloomington, Ind Rank 5.. TV: Time:
Minnesota - Nebraska Lincoln, NE Rank 8.. TV: Time:
Michigan State - Illinois Champaign, Ill Rank 4.. TV: Time:
Maryland - Wisconsin Madison, WI Rank 6.. TV: Time:
Ohio State - Northwestern Evanston, Ill Rank 2.. TV: Time:
USC - UCLA - Pasadena, CA Rank 1.. TV: Time:

Okay.. this will be a little long.. but it is on-topic and shorter than before.. more informative, I hope..

from link above: "The Athletic reports that the networks will choose weeks as opposed to individual games; Fox, the Big Ten's longest-standing active media partner, has first choice of the networks."

The Athletic is a pay site so I didn't follow a link in that story. But I guess this means that if the order is FOX-CBS-NBC.. then FOX looks over the entire schedule and says.. I want Week 17 where Michigan plays Ohio State. Then CBS says Well take Week X where UCLA plays USC. And NBC says, hmm.. Notre Dame plays at Michigan in Week Y.. we'll take that. And they do that unil each week's priority pick position is spoken for by a network.

( an aside...
Hey @rutgersguy1 .. I am rethinking that originality thing on this deal. Tghis has not been done before.. not really. I guess the NCAA deal for CBS/TruTV, TNT etc for the tourney... but is that CBS buying eevrything and then reselling locations for other networks to cover that location?)

Then, in an individual week, if it is NBC's week, they get first pic of the top game they want, then FOX goes, then CBS goes.. until all the games they are contractually allowed to broadcast per week then, I guess, BTN gets the rest and maybe they sell some to Amazon for Prime, or whoever.. and broadcast what they want.. to keep their regular advertisers happy.

Just a guess.

Last edited:
Can I safely assume that NO ONE on this baord knows how the TV networks game-picking will work?
I think that's a safe assumption lol. It's all just guessing.

As to the way the picks are done being original, I have no idea. Fox/ESPN had picks before the year but were they games or weeks? I'm not sure. Fox always had first dibs so they got Michigan/OSU but was that by picking that game or that week? Don't know.

Excerpts from the Athletic article:

Based on my understanding, Fox will get the No. 1 overall football pick each year, and that pick is for a week rather than for a game (so Fox’s top pick will undoubtedly always be for Michigan-Ohio State week).

Said McManus: “There’s a selection process where all three broadcast partners will get a selection of No. 1 picks (weekly). It’s kind of a complicated matrix, but we’re all going to get high-quality games, and adding USC and UCLA makes the selection process all that much easier to administer since you now have these two national programs that are going to be playing in the Big Ten. The addition of those two schools really cemented the national footprint of the Big 10 coast to coast. There’s going to be plenty of really good games to go around.”

As part of its deal, Fox will get upgraded picks for the network’s football selection, added football inventory, and the ability to add games in later windows. Four of the next seven Big Ten Championship Games will air on Fox.

Multiple sources said Amazon was willing to pay more than what CBS and NBC ultimately paid for a spot in either primetime or the 3:30 p.m. ET spot.

Multiple sources said NBC and ESPN did not bid on the 3:30 p.m. window

One wise sports television programmer posited to me that ESPN would be wise to cede the noon ET game window to Fox, which is going to load up weekly with a mega-promotion for all things Big Ten, including some premium games. Our programmer suggested ESPN and the SEC load up the 3:30 p.m. ET window and the primetime window with the best games of the week and try to own those seven-plus hours on Saturdays.

Yeah.. looks like the article referring to that ATHLETICS article summarized it well enough.

As I was looking for a good sample week from this season, I saw many with bye weeks and fewer Big Ten conference games. That should make the picking interesting and influence the Big Ten schedule makers perhaps more than previous years.

For example.. who gets stuck with priority for a week where Michigan and Ohio state both have BYE weeks? My guess is no one.. schedulers will prevent that. And this year there are 2 Big Ten games August 27.. is that its own week?

I suppose each network will look at all the other stuff they have going on.. like when baseball season is still going on, perhaps those weeks will be less useful to certain networks and certain big markets. Maybe that's a NASCAR race in another market for another network.

This is going to be fascinating and it is well beyond my imagination to conjure how it may affect coverage of future Rutgers games. But I hope we have some unexpected success this season and maybe we'll get some early national game next season. And when we have home games we better be ready with our helpfulness in getting, say, CBS to highlight the history and atmosphere of Rutgers Football to show it in its best light.

(EDIT: original OP as too long, too complicated)

Here's a sample GUESS..

I will rank the games first... wow.. this is hard.. I went my market size as much as anything else... while estimates of team quality based on current mindshare are part of it.. this is hard.. and I still don't know the pick order and how it works...

This LINK may be a good source for info about how it works..

Michigan - Rutgers Piscataway, NJ Rank 3.. TV: Time:
Iowa - Purdue West Lafayette, Ind Rank 7.. TV: Time:
Penn State - Indiana Bloomington, Ind Rank 5.. TV: Time:
Minnesota - Nebraska Lincoln, NE Rank 8.. TV: Time:
Michigan State - Illinois Champaign, Ill Rank 4.. TV: Time:
Maryland - Wisconsin Madison, WI Rank 6.. TV: Time:
Ohio State - Northwestern Evanston, Ill Rank 2.. TV: Time:
USC - UCLA - Pasadena, CA Rank 1.. TV: Time:

Okay.. this will be a little long.. but it is on-topic and shorter than before.. more informative, I hope..

from link above: "The Athletic reports that the networks will choose weeks as opposed to individual games; Fox, the Big Ten's longest-standing active media partner, has first choice of the networks."

The Athletic is a pay site so I didn't follow a link in that story. But I guess this means that if the order is FOX-CBS-NBC.. then FOX looks over the entire schedule and says.. I want Week 17 where Michigan plays Ohio State. Then CBS says Well take Week X where UCLA plays USC. And NBC says, hmm.. Notre Dame plays at Michigan in Week Y.. we'll take that. And they do that unil each week's priority pick position is spoken for by a network.

( an aside...
Hey @rutgersguy1 .. I am rethinking that originality thing on this deal. Tghis has not been done before.. not really. I guess the NCAA deal for CBS/TruTV, TNT etc for the tourney... but is that CBS buying eevrything and then reselling locations for other networks to cover that location?)

Then, in an individual week, if it is NBC's week, they get first pic of the top game they want, then FOX goes, then CBS goes.. until all the games they are contractually allowed to broadcast per week then, I guess, BTN gets the rest and maybe they sell some to Amazon for Prime, or whoever.. and broadcast what they want.. to keep their regular advertisers happy.

Just a guess.

Conference schedule in the future is suppose to be locked in by October for the following year so I'd guess the networks will go first at the big brand vs big brand weeks like OSU/Michigan. I'm guessing PSU/Michigan, PSU/OSU, MSU/Michigan, USC/UCLA, Wisconsin/Michigan, etc..will be weeks that get targeted by them.

As far as selection, the farther into the season you go, I think the easier it becomes for the networks once their chosen weeks are already set before the year. At the beginning, you're looking at brands to choose the weeks but as the season goes you can mix in a little performance in narrowing down the selection. It's not a guess anymore, you know how teams are doing and what might bring a good matchup in addition to just the brand.

As to your example above, that's November 5th slate of games in the B10. USC/UCLA don't play that day but I guess for arguments sake you're throwing that in there. This would be easier in the present because we'd know how the teams are doing. I'm just kind of guessing at their performance. I've put some big brands lower down the list because I think stakes could be higher in those B10 west matchups. I wouldn't be surprised though if a lopsided matchup with a big brand takes priority for a network because the big brand probably still gets solid to good ratings even in a lopsided affair.

1. USC/UCLA
2. OSU/NW and this could be 1 if NW is having one of their "good years"
3. I'll differ from you here and say Iowa/Purdue assuming they have good years going. They've has some close games over the years and might both be contending for the west.
4. Minnesota/Nebraska again it's possible both could be competing for the west at that time
5. PSU/IU just based PSU brand and could be up a bit higher if IU is doing okay and they have had some close games recently
6. Michigan/RU
7. Wisconsin/Maryland
8. MSU/Illinois

Nebraska is a Peacock game.
For others wondering what this means.. I originally used week 1s games this year but figured it is not a representative week for the future TV network draft of weeks. And the Nebraska game had no TV listed in my source. This answered that issue.

And about Nebraska... I figure they were brought in because they had a strong name appeal, not direct market-size.. so they must have had a national following. But I have no idea how their TV ratings are tight now.. how much pull they have. Yeah.. they might have a great season and then be more valuable than, say, Minnesota having a great season.

I wonder if the choices of what games to have on what network happens all before the season or whther they make their choices according to their priorities every week (for games some time off according to the TBA game time announcement rules).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT