ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATED: SCILS Top 10 'Realistic' Coaching Candidates

SCILS02

Junior
Jul 18, 2012
As of 10/14. Updated with only slight movement from my prior list last week. No need for Ventura's serivces when I give you this list for free.

Ranked in order of my preference of 'realistic' candidates:

1) Campbell
2) Clawson
3) Norvell
4) Schiano
5) Harsin
6) Jones
7) Candle
8) Heupel
9) Narduzzi
10) Monken

Stay far away from unless you want Ash 2.0: Moorhead, Leipold, Surace, Fritz.

Wild card candidates worth a call: Littrell, Bielema.

As of 10/14. Updated with only slight movement from my prior list last week. No need for Ventura's serivces when I give you this list for free.

1) Campbell
2) Clawson
3) Norvell
4) Schiano
5) Harsin
6) Jones
7) Candle
8) Heupel
9) Narduzzi
10) Monken

How about Lou Holtz?

1) Campbell
2) Clawson
3) Norvell
4) Schiano
5) Harsin
6) Jones
7) Candle
8) Heupel
9) Narduzzi
10) Monken

So Schiano, Candle, Jones, and Monken

1) Campbell
2) Clawson
3) Norvell
4) Schiano
5) Harsin
6) Jones
7) Candle
8) Heupel
9) Narduzzi
10) Monken

How is Matt Campbell realistic? He has a 7million buyout at Iowa st. Come on son. This isn’t a realistic list

How is Matt Campbell realistic? He has a 7million buyout at Iowa st. Come on son. This isn’t a realistic list
All buyouts can be negotiated depending on many factors if the party is interested in a Big Ten job. Contracts 101.

NMC - Haven't heard from you since Moorhead's fine coaching performance Saturday.
I never said they would win. I provided you with my opinion on his record up to that point. One away game loss doesn’t change it either way. Just keep talking about yourself in the third person and we’ll go back to ignoring you.

Reactions: TRU2RU
We aren’t buying a used car. Iowa states negotiation will go like this. “You want our coach, ok, that’s 7miilion”. “You don’t want to pay 7 million? Then he’s still our Coach”.
Exxactallly.

Wait. You approve of my quip? Or of my permanent banning?

My message board ego can be oh so fragile.
I approve of your quip. So does mildone, who would never post in the third person.

Just remember... It's not posting in the third person if we have a multiple personality disorder.

Reactions: ClassOf02
We aren’t buying a used car. Iowa states negotiation will go like this. “You want our coach, ok, that’s 7miilion”. “You don’t want to pay 7 million? Then he’s still our Coach”.[/
I never said they would win. I provided you with my opinion on his record up to that point. One away game loss doesn’t change it either way. Just keep talking about yourself in the third person and we’ll go back to ignoring you.

I clearly put my handle in the title as a goof and you fell for it. Don't take it that seriously...

Others aren't as open to coordinators as I am and I like Grinch/Elko better but Hafley seems to bypass that hurdle for some despite no HC experience.

I'm not as high up on Hafley as others only because of the shorter track record as DC and no demonstration of doing more with less in his career as DC.

That being said how about this combo if he continues on with a good year at OSU. He'd be first time HC with only a year DC experience so might get him on relatively cheaper basis and have the budget to pay coordinators. As has always been said about him he gets rave reviews on personality and relatability in articles I've read about him. His personality might attract better assistants too not just recruits.

Hafley HC
Kevin Wilson OC (Day calls the plays, Yurcich is passing game coordinator so he might feel like odd man out, also a former HC of a historically downtrodden B10 program who was on the verge of turning them with a DC)
Fran Brown DC

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Others aren't as open to coordinators as I am and I like Grinch/Elko better but Hafley seems to bypass that hurdle for some despite no HC experience.

I'm not as high up on Hafley as others only because of the shorter track record as DC and no demonstration of doing more with less in his career as DC.

That being said how about this combo if he continues on with a good year at OSU. He'd be first time HC with only a year DC experience so might get him on relatively cheaper basis and have the budget to pay coordinators. As has always been said about him he gets rave reviews on personality and relatability in articles I've read about him. His personality might attract better assistants too not just recruits.

Hafley HC
Kevin Wilson OC (Day calls the plays, Yurcich is passing game coordinator so he might feel like odd man out, also a former HC of a historically downtrodden B10 program who was on the verge of turning them with a DC)
Fran Brown DC
Should add too a possible OSU playoff run could hamper Hafley/Wilson joining in full capacity immediately upon the end of the regular season. I know that was a big deal for quite a few for Ash, although that wasn't a playoff run.

Of course by the time this hire is made, we'll know if OSU is in the playoff hunt or not.

Hafley HC
Fran Brown DC
Is just make Wilson HC. He has proven he can win with less in this league

Reactions: MADHAT1
Didn’t he get fired for some off the field player issue? Don’t know if that would fly here as HC given our history.... might be okay as OC and time having passed.

That's what I was thinking when I seen Hafley's name as HC with Wilson his OC
Rutgers can't go the first time HC route again, no matter how good a recruiter that first timer is thought to be.

Didn’t he get fired for some off the field player issue? Don’t know if that would fly here as HC given our history.... might be okay as OC and time having passed.
A former Indiana player told ESPN that at least five former Hoosiers players were interviewed about Wilson's treatment of his players. The former player suffered a concussion in practice before the 2015 season. the player's father said his son was rushed back to workouts and the symptoms went "haywire."

Quarterback Zander Diamont, who announced last week that he will step away from football after the team’s bowl game in part due to concussions, said on Twitter that his injuries were handled properly by Wilson and his staff.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/01/kevin-wilson-fired-indiana-football-head-coach

Head coaching record
Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
Indiana Hoosiers
(Big Ten Conference) (2011–2016)
2011 Indiana 1–11 0–8 6th (Leaders)
2012 Indiana 4–8 2–6 5th (Leaders)
2013 Indiana 5–7 3–5 4th (Leaders)
2014 Indiana 4–8 1–7 7th (East)
2015 Indiana 6–7 2–6 5th (East) L Pinstripe
2016 Indiana 6–6 4–5 4th (East) *Foster Farms
Indiana: 26–47 12–37 * Did not coach bowl game

A former Indiana player told ESPN that at least five former Hoosiers players were interviewed about Wilson's treatment of his players. The former player suffered a concussion in practice before the 2015 season. the player's father said his son was rushed back to workouts and the symptoms went "haywire."

Quarterback Zander Diamont, who announced last week that he will step away from football after the team’s bowl game in part due to concussions, said on Twitter that his injuries were handled properly by Wilson and his staff.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/01/kevin-wilson-fired-indiana-football-head-coach
My problem with that article is that’s not how things work. When a kid gets a concussion ONLY a Dr can release him to return. That goes for college, HS, and youth football

Reactions: Knight Shift

That situation sounded very Rutgers-esque. There were some allegations, and perhaps I missed it, but nothing too over the top.

Sound familiar? Glass has a similar background to Hobbs:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/kevin-wilson-indiana-fred-glass-football-coach

It could be that Glass and Wilson simply couldn’t work together any longer. Football coaches are often quite different from the people working in administration, and Glass does not come from a traditional sports background. Wilson, meanwhile, can be boisterous, brusque and hard-charging.

But it seems like there’s more than that going on. Glass had an Indy law firm conduct a review of the program, which is an unusual step.

And much of the speculation about what ended Wilson’s tenure has centered on his treatment of injured players.

Other former players spoke with reporters about being rushed back from injury. These are just anecdotes, though, and can’t be seen as a whole picture; college football teams have more than 100 players, and you’re bound to have those who like the coach and those who don’t, whether or not the coach is actually doing something wrong or unethical.

My problem with that article is that’s not how things work. When a kid gets a concussion ONLY a Dr can release him to return. That goes for college, HS, and youth football
Sounds like the AD wanted to get rid of Wilson and found a convenient way to do it.

vj...I often hear about a kid's concussion claims by a parent, without actual medical diagnosis. I highly doubt the indiana kid had a confirmed consussion...and if he did, there's no way a coach ignores that anymore.

That's what I was thinking when I seen Hafley's name as HC with Wilson his OC
Rutgers can't go the first time HC route again, no matter how good a recruiter that first timer is thought to be.
I'm guessing they won't and not only that but back to the OSU DC well to boot lol. But I'm just trying to come up with other ideas that could work and might even be amenable to the Schiano crowd.

I'm not as big on recruiting as others here as I think we'll get the tier of talent we'd normally get for a school of our status. I've given my tiered pyramid view of recruiting here a million times.

That being said trying to split the difference and say okay how about a couple good recruiters in Hafley and Brown and the "mentor" on staff who is a good offensive coach and has done the whole downtrodden program in the B10 thing and might be a good source to lean on for a first time coach and is realistic as he's actually on staff with Hafley and could be an odd man out and available as OC.

I'm guessing they won't and not only that but back to the OSU DC well to boot lol. But I'm just trying to come up with other ideas that could work and might even be amenable to the Schiano crowd.

I'm not as big on recruiting as others here as I think we'll get the tier of talent we'd normally get for a school of our status. I've given my tiered pyramid view of recruiting here a million times.

That being said trying to split the difference and say okay how about a couple good recruiters in Hafley and Brown and the "mentor" on staff who is a good offensive coach and has done the whole downtrodden program in the B10 thing and might be a good source to lean on for a first time coach and is realistic as he's actually on staff with Hafley and could be an odd man out and available as OC.
Well the mentor part might have helped Ash and 2 good recruiters might have changed results where talent on roster is concerned with mentor's help in using that talent better than Ash and his assistants did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT