ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATED: SCILS Top 10 'Realistic' Coaching Candidates

as long as we have a dream list , adding:
- Bill Belicheck
- Nick Saban
- Urban Meyer

Serious question.....how come Mark Richt is never mentioned? Is it simply because of salary demand or because of the belief he would never consider this job? Maybe he mentioned somewhere that he doesn't want to get back into coaching so soon but every other name has been bantered about (even Bob Stoops) but nothing really said about Richt. Just curious.

Serious question.....how come Mark Richt is never mentioned? Is it simply because of salary demand or because of the belief he would never consider this job? Maybe he mentioned somewhere that he doesn't want to get back into coaching so soon but every other name has been bantered about (even Bob Stoops) but nothing really said about Richt. Just curious.

Yeah I was under the impression he was done with coaching for now since he stepped down from Miami, but I'm not certain.

I've mentioned a couple of these guys here multiple times and it's not likely that they will get the HC or OC spots like I've possibly suggested but just to stay informed on what they've done this year. Got in from an article in the Athletic talking about candidates for the Broyles award for the top assistant.

Alex Grinch, Oklahoma defensive coordinator:The Mount Union product was more of a proven commodity than Brady because he’d first turned heads when he was Mike Leach’s coordinator at Washington State. At Wazzu, Grinch earned praise for taking one of the worst defenses in FBS and transforming it into an aggressive turnover-producing headache for rival offenses. He was widely known around the Pac-12 as the most unpredictable play caller in the conference. He spent last season in his native Ohio on Urban Meyer’s staff as a co-DC. Since arriving in Norman, Grinch has turned a shaky group into a formidable one. OU is No. 9 in the country in third-down defense, allowing only 28 percent of conversions; that’s 110 spots better than the Sooners were in 2018. In total defense, they’re up to No. 41 from No. 114. Over the weekend, OU held a dangerous Texas offense to 310 yards and only 4.2 per play. A year ago, the Sooners allowed 501 yards and 6.7 yards a play in the Red River Showdown. Grinch’s defense has held its past five opponents under 400 yards. You have to go back six years to find a stretch when OU held more than three opponents in a row under 400 yards. How has Grinch done it? More than scheme, it’s changing the mentality of the defense by getting them to expect to play well and stay focused for four quarters and not let one big play break it. So far, the results have been head-turning.

Jeff Hafley, Ohio State co-defensive coordinator/secondary coach: The Buckeyes’ defense wasn’t as bad as Oklahoma’s, but it really struggled in 2018. There was impressive athleticism, yet nobody gave up more huge plays than Ohio State, which surrendered a nation-worst four plays of 80-plus yards last season. Bad tackling, busted assignments and an assortment of other issues slowed down a fast group. Enter Hafley, who spent the previous seven seasons as an NFL secondary coach. His work to fix the Buckeyes’ defense, most notably its tackling problems, has been profound. The Buckeyes are No. 2 in the nation with 3.69 yards per play allowed; they finished 72nd last season at 5.77. More impressive, they are tied for No. 1 in the country in fewest plays allowed of at least 30 yards per game. They have surrendered four in six games; in 2018, they allowed 39, which ranked No. 118. The Buckeyes are tied for 11th in interceptions with eight, only three fewer than they had in 14 games last season. They also lead the country in sacks with 29 and are second in tackles for loss.

Bill Bedenbaugh, Oklahoma offensive line coach/running game coordinator: Folks in the Big 12 have known how great Bedenbaugh is with the run game and finding and developing offensive linemen, but this season has been especially impressive. The Sooners lost four starting offensive linemen, plus the Heisman Trophy winner, yet they’re still averaging a ridiculous 9.6 yards per play — 1.5 yards more than anybody else. To put that into even more focus, two years ago, when Baker Mayfield was shredding defenses, OU averaged 8.3 yards per play. Last season, with Kyler Murray, it was up to 8.6. Now it’s a full yard more, and the Sooners have done so with an almost entirely rebuilt line. In addition, the Sooners are averaging 7.74 yards per carry, up from 6.6. Bedenbaugh’s work with OU’s vaunted counter game has become a staple of its offense. On top of that, the group has allowed just four sacks in six games. The only thing hurting Bedenbaugh’s candidacy a bit is that Grinch’s work fixing the Sooners’ Achilles’ heel — the defense — will get more of the attention.

It's because Schiano is better than him... DUH!!!

I've mentioned a couple of these guys here multiple times and it's not likely that they will get the HC or OC spots like I've possibly suggested but just to stay informed on what they've done this year. Got in from an article in the Athletic talking about candidates for the Broyles award for the top assistant.

Alex Grinch, Oklahoma defensive coordinator:The Mount Union product was more of a proven commodity than Brady because he’d first turned heads when he was Mike Leach’s coordinator at Washington State. At Wazzu, Grinch earned praise for taking one of the worst defenses in FBS and transforming it into an aggressive turnover-producing headache for rival offenses. He was widely known around the Pac-12 as the most unpredictable play caller in the conference. He spent last season in his native Ohio on Urban Meyer’s staff as a co-DC. Since arriving in Norman, Grinch has turned a shaky group into a formidable one. OU is No. 9 in the country in third-down defense, allowing only 28 percent of conversions; that’s 110 spots better than the Sooners were in 2018. In total defense, they’re up to No. 41 from No. 114. Over the weekend, OU held a dangerous Texas offense to 310 yards and only 4.2 per play. A year ago, the Sooners allowed 501 yards and 6.7 yards a play in the Red River Showdown. Grinch’s defense has held its past five opponents under 400 yards. You have to go back six years to find a stretch when OU held more than three opponents in a row under 400 yards. How has Grinch done it? More than scheme, it’s changing the mentality of the defense by getting them to expect to play well and stay focused for four quarters and not let one big play break it. So far, the results have been head-turning.

Jeff Hafley, Ohio State co-defensive coordinator/secondary coach: The Buckeyes’ defense wasn’t as bad as Oklahoma’s, but it really struggled in 2018. There was impressive athleticism, yet nobody gave up more huge plays than Ohio State, which surrendered a nation-worst four plays of 80-plus yards last season. Bad tackling, busted assignments and an assortment of other issues slowed down a fast group. Enter Hafley, who spent the previous seven seasons as an NFL secondary coach. His work to fix the Buckeyes’ defense, most notably its tackling problems, has been profound. The Buckeyes are No. 2 in the nation with 3.69 yards per play allowed; they finished 72nd last season at 5.77. More impressive, they are tied for No. 1 in the country in fewest plays allowed of at least 30 yards per game. They have surrendered four in six games; in 2018, they allowed 39, which ranked No. 118. The Buckeyes are tied for 11th in interceptions with eight, only three fewer than they had in 14 games last season. They also lead the country in sacks with 29 and are second in tackles for loss.

Bill Bedenbaugh, Oklahoma offensive line coach/running game coordinator: Folks in the Big 12 have known how great Bedenbaugh is with the run game and finding and developing offensive linemen, but this season has been especially impressive. The Sooners lost four starting offensive linemen, plus the Heisman Trophy winner, yet they’re still averaging a ridiculous 9.6 yards per play — 1.5 yards more than anybody else. To put that into even more focus, two years ago, when Baker Mayfield was shredding defenses, OU averaged 8.3 yards per play. Last season, with Kyler Murray, it was up to 8.6. Now it’s a full yard more, and the Sooners have done so with an almost entirely rebuilt line. In addition, the Sooners are averaging 7.74 yards per carry, up from 6.6. Bedenbaugh’s work with OU’s vaunted counter game has become a staple of its offense. On top of that, the group has allowed just four sacks in six games. The only thing hurting Bedenbaugh’s candidacy a bit is that Grinch’s work fixing the Sooners’ Achilles’ heel — the defense — will get more of the attention.
All three would be decent candidates but Hafley SHOULD be the non HC candidate since he already coached here before and recruited well here.

All three would be decent candidates but Hafley SHOULD be the non HC candidate since he already coached here before and recruited well here.

I'm prerty sure McN has closed the door on the argument: "well he coached here before so he will be successful again."

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Well Bedenbaugh is a name I've mentioned for OC not really HC. He's never really called plays before but I like his lineage in the Leach tree and he's a highly respected OL coach. I'd let him bring an OL coach of his choosing along if he was the OC.

The other two are non starters for some because of no HC experience....although Hafley passes that bar for some in that no HC experience group for whatever reason. I mean if you're worried about experience how does a guy with not even 1 full year as DC get through that hurdle...which is even a hurdle for me who is open to coordinators. I think it's a bias.

Hafley I'm a little more leary of because while I'm not opposed to coordinators I would like a longer track record and a record of doing more with less to somewhere in the career if possible...but he is spoken highly of, especially as secondary coach.

Grinch I like because he's demonstrated more with less and it's not just scheme but just attitude adjustment and mentality which I think is something we could use. His Mount Union roots I think bring that whole lunch pail, give max effort every play, humble mentality....and he's gotten buy in at both WSU and now OU. WSU took about 3 years of steady turnaround on D and OU has almost been immediate. His defenses played well against the spread and have also played alongside up tempo spreads and been able to handle it. I've posted articles here before on his speed D philosophy and use of undersized linemen and beefing up his DBs. He had a DT playing around 240-250 at WSU who is now in the NFL playing for Minnesota....that player said they stunted practically every play....swarm to the ball create TOs...wants 2 TOs a game or is disappointed. If he can instill that kind of attitude into a team as HC like he has as DC it would do wonders for us. Plus he's got a slew of good offensive influence (Pinkel, Leach, Day/Wilson, Riley) throughout his whole career so I'd hope no shortage of people to fill that OC spot...Bedebaugh being one possibly. Like I said mostly likely a non starter cause of no HC experience but I've seen his name possibly tied to Ilinois or MSU should they open up...same for his Mount Union buddy Candle and those possible openings.

Only realistic ones on the list (not my order):

3) Norvell
4) Schiano

6) Jones
7) Candle

9) Narduzzi--But not really
It occurred to me if you like Narduzzi, who I'm not as big on because of lack of offensive connections/prowess, then Grinch seems like he could be a current day Narduzzi but with better offensive connections and understanding given his career stops.

I've always said Narduzzi is a passionate guy and can motivate his team up but lacks the offensive understanding I'd want. But reading about Grinch I think he fits that mold of guy who has been motivating his defenses up and to perform with effort, drive and heart....and maybe that translates as HC for a team as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT