ADVERTISEMENT

Va Tech Blogger Seems Worried about RU

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Aside from Va Tech being a mess on both sides of the ball. . . .

"Rutgers has a big-play tailback averaging over eight yards per attempt. They have multiple receivers capable of challenging Tech’s corners on the outside and a quarterback who can get things done as a passer or runner."

"The Scarlet Knights aren’t Marshall, Vandy, or ODU. If the Hokies start slow or have an abysmal quarter like Saturday’s second quarter, they stand no chance of winning this game. Rutgers will make them pay for their mistakes. They are big and physical up front, which is a concern for Tech in the trenches."

And injury updates:

"Let's start with standout WR Ali Jennings who went down late in the first half and did not return to the game. Pry provided the following remarks on Jennings' status after.
"He’s got a tweak. I think he’s going to be OK, but we weren’t comfortable putting him back out there. He was disappointed. It was good to see him make a few plays early," Pry said."

I was reading several different Hokie MessageBoards last night and the vast majority of their Posters think RU is going to crush Va Tech. They are worried Kyle will run for a 150 and RU will dominate both sides of the ball and eat clock. If we get back Powell and Bailey I kinda agree with their thinking.

Hope that blogger doesn't have to take too much hate for expressing his honest opinion.

SI says, in-general, they have a big home-field advantage
Just looking at last year's record at Lane Stadium:

Beat ODU (they should have done that)
Lost to Purdue 24-17 (Purdue was not good last year0
Beat Pitt 38-21 (Pitt was bad last year)
Beat Wake30-13 (Wake was not good last year)
Beat Syracuse 38-10 (Syracuse was terrible last year)
Lost to Louisville 34-3 (Louisville was ranked and good)
Lost to NC State 35-28
4-3, beating easy teams and losing to one bad team and two good teams. I still like our chances, but I ain't counting my Hokies until they are hatched and cooked. Cautiously optimistic.

So, @Knight Shift , you are not the type who will predict we will absolutely destroy them so that even a moderate victory seems like a loss?

Why do some people constantly do that in obvious attention-seeking new threads on this board? Because it is their "brand"?

So, @Knight Shift , you are not the type who will predict we will absolutely destroy them so that even a moderate victory seems like a loss?

Why do some people constantly do that in obvious attention-seeking new threads on this board? Because it is their "brand"?
IDK, nothing against the overly bombastic prediction threads, but I think I am being pragmatic here. Who has Rutgers played-Howard and Akron. Va Tech played an SEC team, a usually decent Marshall, and ODU, which was playing with a 3rd string QB. Rutgers started slow in both games, and maybe that is because key defensive starters were out. I still think we should win, but on the road, anything is possible.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
I was reading several different Hokie MessageBoards last night and the vast majority of their Posters think RU is going to crush Va Tech. They are worried Kyle will run for a 150 and RU will dominate both sides of the ball and eat clock. If we get back Powell and Bailey I kinda agree with their thinking.
They have a right to be worried. Although their D returned everyone, based on what Vandy and ODU did against their defense, Monangai will be able to run on them. If they sell out to stop him, I'm interested to see what Kirk has dialed up in the pass game.

We need to ground and pound with our running game, then when they start stacking the box, we hit 'em with the passing game.

Just looking at last year's record at Lane Stadium:

Beat ODU (they should have done that)
Lost to Purdue 24-17 (Purdue was not good last year0
Beat Pitt 38-21 (Pitt was bad last year)
Beat Wake30-13 (Wake was not good last year)
Beat Syracuse 38-10 (Syracuse was terrible last year)
Lost to Louisville 34-3 (Louisville was ranked and good)
Lost to NC State 35-28
4-3, beating easy teams and losing to one bad team and two good teams. I still like our chances, but I ain't counting my Hokies until they are hatched and cooked. Cautiously optimistic.
I would throw out the Purdue loss, it was an insane game because of the weather, and really should not have been played.

Reactions: Knight Shift
They have a right to be worried. Although their D returned everyone, based on what Vandy and ODU did against their defense, Monangai will be able to run on them. If they sell out to stop him, I'm interested to see what Kirk has dialed up in the pass game.
I wonder if play action will ever be a point of emphasis against this kind of opponent.

I wonder if play action will ever be a point of emphasis against this kind of opponent.
Others pointed out AK doing a nice RPO in those games including throwing off it depending on reads. I'd like him to RUN more.. but when you think of who he is handing the ball to (when I think he should keep it).. it is hard to blame him for saying to Monangai.. YOU keep it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT