ADVERTISEMENT

Very little buzz around Rutgers Football going into the summer

ScarletStateofNJ

All Conference
Jul 6, 2011
I’m sure I’ll get blasted for posting this but it has been a long time since there been so little buzz/hope/interest about Rutgers Football. The program just seems flat.

No big performances out of the Spring Football sessions. Outside of Art, not many players have a chance to be an impactful player in the BiG. No big signings. No exciting coaching staff pickups. Just the realistic hope of getting to 4 wins. Hopefully Ash can break through this year because our fan base seems fatigued.

I agree this board has been quieter than normal for this time of year. That's not surprising when the big hope is a true freshman QB. Things will pick up as summer practice gets going. And if the team can get some momentum early, I think you'll see a lot of buzz about whether we can pull off an upset in the second half of the season to make us bowl-eligible. Getting to a bowl would be great for the fans and the program, although it would require a *lot* of things to go right.

I’m sure I’ll get blasted for posting this but it has been a long time since there been so little buzz/hope/interest about Rutgers Football. The program just seems flat.

No big performances out of the Spring Football sessions. Outside of Art, not many players have a chance to be an impactful player in the BiG. No big signings. No exciting coaching staff pickups. Just the realistic hope of getting to 4 wins. Hopefully Ash can break through this year because our fan base seems fatigued.
You'll get attacked for this post even though it's 100% right and the dwindling season ticket holder numbers prove it. This program is in a dangerous place and if Ash doesn't make real progress this year, I'd want him gone and about half the board feels the same way according to my recent (unscientific) poll on here.

The toss-up road Kansas game will be a key moment. If Rutgers loses that game, I think it could be the beginning of the end for Coach Ash. He has to generate some excitement for this program like Coach Pikiell has in basketball.

Last edited:
Optimistic because I feel we finally have a QB and like Melton and Blackshear. Agree with Choppin we have impact players. And a better OC.

Last edited:

Did you see Bo in spring game? Tre Avery? No impact players? I'll count Wilkins, Cole, Wharton, Austin, Roberts and a few others.

Did you see Bo in spring game? Tre Avery? No impact players? I'll count Wilkins, Cole, Wharton, Austin, Roberts and a few others.

Vokalek and Washington too. Washington is primed for a big year. Last year was his first year starting and he was our leading receiver with no QB. The tight ends should be good this year.

The basketball board is much more active with relevant discussion on recruiting and how the returning and new pieces may fit for the upcoming season than this one. If you like OT’s this the place to be.

Reactions: satnom
No reason to get blasted but no reason to be hopeful either. Would love to talk about positive football. Even Rutgers isnt pushing football. They are advertising Rutgers basketball on WFAN not football

Vokalek and Washington too. Washington is primed for a big year. Last year was his first year starting and he was our leading receiver with no QB. The tight ends should be good this year.

Blackshear as well.
Maybe Hilliman as a power back.

One problem right now is we do not seem to be closing in on any exciting recruits...the only things happening this time of year is the earlier official visits and I'm not aware of any impact recruits taking officials to the Banks...would be a big boost to the fan base if we could get some of these top regional prospects to commit or simply take an official visit...we dominated NYC the last couple years not so much this year it seems...

Maybe we just need a rutgersal post to jump start the board p

11-2 is a near lock this year. Mark it down. Bet the bee farm. There's some buzz.

Here is some more:
1200px-Aldrin.jpg

Reactions: RutgersMO

Cheer up little buddy. The Sun will come out, Tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar, that Tomorrow there'll be sun. Just thinking about Tomorrow. Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow, 'Til there's none.

Now everybody sing with me.

Tomorrow!, Tomorrow! I love ya Tomorrow . You're always a day away!

Reactions: runner3283
RU is a competent offense away from 6 wins last year. The offense has been bad, like really bad. as in the low 120s. Can't win many games averaging 18 pp/g in today's college football world. Frankly, I'm surprised RU won as many games as they did last year. Special Teams output was almost as much as the offense (and that's not a good thing).

Coach Ash knows what he's doing. Its not like he went from High School to College. He knows what it takes to win at this level.

A down media hype this spring I think is a good thing. Less talking, more winning. Also it doesn't give the fan base false expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUhobbit and satnom
One problem right now is we do not seem to be closing in on any exciting recruits...the only things happening this time of year is the earlier official visits and I'm not aware of any impact recruits taking officials to the Banks...would be a big boost to the fan base if we could get some of these top regional prospects to commit or simply take an official visit...we dominated NYC the last couple years not so much this year it seems...

Maybe we just need a rutgersal post to jump start the board p
I disagree with the original post because I think the spring game was Knight and Day (pun intended) different when compared to the first 2 spring games under Ash and we have a lot of exciting young players to look forward to watching this season. Also have a bunch of new coaches many of which appear to be upgrades. I do however agree with the view that there appears to be little recruiting buzz and that is what this board wants to talk about between the end of the spring game and the start of training camp. Hope some kids like Young and Nelms pick RU and commit sooner rather than later.

He said that about every team. Paid to prop up the Big Ten.

Okay...so he said EVERY TEAM was the most improved team in the Big 10 he saw during his spring wrap up comments?

I can only assume you did not see the wrap up comments about every team or else you would not have said something that silly....lol

1869.Think about that.?Is there anything else that has been around for that long with so little success that still has anyone who cares about it or holds a glimmer of hope?

Yep, May is historically a very popular time to discuss college football. We are so screwed this year. JHC.

Reactions: scripts
You'll get attacked for this post even though it's 100% right and the dwindling season ticket holder numbers prove it. This program is in a dangerous place and if Ash doesn't make real progress this year, I'd want him gone and about half the board feels the same way according to my recent (unscientific) poll on here.

The toss-up road Kansas game will be a key moment. If Rutgers loses that game, I think it could be the beginning of the end for Coach Ash. He has to generate some excitement for this program like Coach Pikiell has in basketball.
It's. amazing how the buzz around RU has dwindled over the last 5 or 6 years.....for some reason Ash has brought little excitement around the team or recruiting...its disappointing...

Okay...so he said EVERY TEAM was the most improved team in the Big 10 he saw during his spring wrap up comments?

I can only assume you did not see the wrap up comments about every team or else you would not have said something that stupid....lol
Its the BTN crew. Did he say once that any team will suck? No. Every team is going to be improved in April. Every single one. They get paid by the Big Ten. They arent going to trash a team before the first game. You need to grow up to the reality of marketing

I disagree with the original post because I think the spring game was Knight and Day (pun intended) different when compared to the first 2 spring games under Ash and we have a lot of exciting young players to look forward to watching this season. Also have a bunch of new coaches many of which appear to be upgrades. I do however agree with the view that there appears to be little recruiting buzz and that is what this board wants to talk about between the end of the spring game and the start of training camp. Hope some kids like Young and Nelms pick RU and commit sooner rather than later.
We've been saying our coaches have been upgraded each year since Ash took over for the flood regime...we've had that much turnover...I'll believe it when we actually start to improve...we've also had young talent each of the past three years at some point we need to get to the point where our young talent can redshirt and properly develop rather than being thrown into the fire...

I can only assume you did not see the wrap up comments about every team or else you would not have said something that silly....lol
There is a reason Denardo hasn't been hired back as a football coach he had such little success when he was...he isn't that bright so I don't put much stock in his comments...

And just because we have improved doesn't mean we are good just means we have that far to go to be good...

Reactions: miket007
Its the BTN crew. Did he say once that any team will suck? No. Every team is going to be improved in April. Every single one. They get paid by the Big Ten. They arent going to trash a team before the first game. You need to grow up to the reality of marketing

Lol.

In previous years he never said good things about Rutgers. They were things like tough, Work hard and never give up. Essentially, that is code for No talent, a bad team but they play hard. If you don't notice that difference, I don't know what else to say.

He only named ONE team as most improved. He could have said Minnesota or Illinois or Maryland or Indiana or Purdue, but he did not. Those are other teams in the same range as Rutgers talent wise.

Last edited:
Agree with Choppin, he could have just said nothing about RU.

No I don’t agree. Lots of good players . players and coaches are upbeat . Ash has been here for only two seasons of a 5 plus year rebuild. The rebuild is massive and actually on target. You are impatient after two years and want the coach gone , I get it , you are a fan. But those responsible for building the program are in a good place with their progress and plan. We do need a jolt like the B.B. team got this year. We may be that from our fresh QB or someone not yet committed. Get a beer and relax. This was never a quick fix.

Cheer up little buddy. The Sun will come out, Tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar, that Tomorrow there'll be sun. Just thinking about Tomorrow. Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow, 'Til there's none.

Now everybody sing with me.

Tomorrow!, Tomorrow! I love ya Tomorrow . You're always a day away!
Little Orphan Annie had a beard?

Don't forget that a huge number of posters left this board to go to the other one.

Does that board have no buzz as well?

Lol.

In previous years he never said good things about Rutgers. They were things like tough, Work hard and never give up. Essentially, that is code for No talent, a bad team but they play hard. If you don't notice that difference, I don't know what else to say.

He only named ONE team as most improved. He could have said Minnesota or Illinois or Maryland it Indiana, but he did not. Those are other teams in the same range as Rutgers.
Your kidding right? He has been a pro Rutgers cheerleader from day 1. And every off season they love Illinois, Indiana And Maryland too. They are paid to prop up the Big Ten

It’s not a toss up Game.
Any CFB fan with knowledge knows this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT