ADVERTISEMENT

Very little buzz around Rutgers Football going into the summer

I’m sure I’ll get blasted for posting this but it has been a long time since there been so little buzz/hope/interest about Rutgers Football. The program just seems flat.

No big performances out of the Spring Football sessions. Outside of Art, not many players have a chance to be an impactful player in the BiG. No big signings. No exciting coaching staff pickups. Just the realistic hope of getting to 4 wins. Hopefully Ash can break through this year because our fan base seems fatigued.

Reality is that you make your own buzz

A 7-1 start (though very unlikely) is one way you do that...with November games at Wisconsin, Michigan, penn state, and at Michigan state...

That creates back to back iooorotinites at home for sell outs and some buzz of games with post season relevance

You have that same shot in 2019 (Iowa on the road is a huge game that year early)

So two years in a row with schedules for a fast start can get people attention so November football has post season relevance and two years to show how much the team has or hasn’t closed the gap with the big ten power programs

in that case I guess it is time to add some buzz to this board:

51BE2XNAE9L._SY445_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

6a00e55168107b8833013487cc03cb970c-320wi

There is going to be improvement this year. Whether that equates to a bowl game will be determined by how much offensive improvement there is. Also Chris Ash cannot play it close to the vest as he has the last 2 seasons. He needs to take some chances on 4th down with going for it and some fake kicks. In other words he needs to be aggressive if RU is to get back to a bowl game.

Interest has declined since Schiano left. Many thought he would be easily replaced and that he was an "average" coach. When was the last time one of our coaches in a revenue sport left for a promotion? A graveyard for coaches. With that said, I'm cautiously optimistic and it will be fun to see how the new freshman QB looks. But a bad combination of having little time to make decisions (OL) and lack of experience.

Reactions: chrisru99
There is going to be improvement this year. Whether that equates to a bowl game will be determined by how much offensive improvement there is. Also Chris Ash cannot play it close to the vest as he has the last 2 seasons. He needs to take some chances on 4th down with going for it and some fake kicks. In other words he needs to be aggressive if RU is to get back to a bowl game.
Hope to see some punts inside the opponents' 35 yard line. [banana]

if Ash doesn't make real progress this year, I'd want him gone and about half the board feels the same way
LOL what do people think you accomplish by firing your coach every three years? Do you really believe there is some magic guy out there that if you just keep changing coaches you'll eventually get one that can turn water into wine? And in the meantime you have no stability. As soon as everyone on staff figures out where everything is and what's going on, you replace them with a whole new group of people who don't.
Plus, how dumb do you think the HS coaches and players are? Every new coach: "I'm going to turn the program around. I know the last 2 guys also said that, but really, I'm really gonna do it." They're like: 'riiiggggght....call me when it happens. now where did I put James Franklin's phone number?'

LOL what do people think you accomplish by firing your coach every three years? Do you really believe there is some magic guy out there that if you just keep changing coaches you'll eventually get one that can turn water into wine? And in the meantime you have no stability. As soon as everyone on staff figures out where everything is and what's going on, you replace them with a whole new group of people who don't.
Plus, how dumb do you think the HS coaches and players are? Every new coach: "I'm going to turn the program around. I know the last 2 guys also said that, but really, I'm really gonna do it." They're like: 'riiiggggght....call me when it happens. now where did I put James Franklin's phone number?'
This is true...many of us may not be satisfied with where we appear to be at heading into year 3...i for one am anxious about our O and D line recruiting under Ash and how that will impact our success in years to come...but...Ash needs to be the guy because this program needs continuity and a new culture to be built...not the culture of guys getting arrested for violent crimes like we continue to see with guys who were recruited by and played under Flood..Ash needs a full five years before one can judge if he is the guy going forward...but he also needs to start finding more B1G caliber lineman or we will really be in trouble no matter who the head coach is in the next few years...

Reactions: RUforester72
The free board is pretty much the OT Board during the off season. The Premium sites have a lot more actual football content and discussions.
Some funny , entertaining stuff here on the OT board.

This is true...many of us may not be satisfied with where we appear to be at heading into year 3...i for one am anxious about our O and D line recruiting under Ash and how that will impact our success in years to come...but...Ash needs to be the guy because this program needs continuity and a new culture to be built...not the culture of guys getting arrested for violent crimes like we continue to see with guys who were recruited by and played under Flood..Ash needs a full five years before one can judge if he is the guy going forward...but he also needs to start finding more B1G caliber lineman or we will really be in trouble no matter who the head coach is in the next few years...

Believe that the large majority of them were recruited by Schiano, but in your book, he is a Joe Pa disciple, so maybe it is not surprising. Flood certainly let discipline slide, not helping the situation.

Well while it is not 2006 like exciting the change to McNulty, Art as QB, Wash. as TE, and hopefully some much improved passing game has me excited to see "much less boring" football again.

Coach Ash comes from the Hayden Fry coaching tree. Those guys do it differently than we are used to in NJ. They don't care about creating buzz or marketing (which IMO is a mistake). They build smart, tough, physical football teams and create a culture that recruits to that. It takes time to build it. Think Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State. That is what he is building towards. Iowa football is boring as all hell, yet they win 8 games a year and smash the blue bloods in the mouth most years. I'll take that over a coach who hypes his program (PJ Fleck) and then gets his own oar shoved up his ass in B1G play.

If Ash crashes and burns this season, we need to bring in Bo Pelini

The guy you know would love to get back to the Power 5. The guy can recruit and win. He is what the Tri State Area could use.

If Ash fails this season, Rutgers needs to grab the bull by the horns, and bring in a SOB to lift the ship from the bottom of the ocean. Because that is where this program is right now.

You'll get attacked for this post even though it's 100% right and the dwindling season ticket holder numbers prove it. This program is in a dangerous place and if Ash doesn't make real progress this year, I'd want him gone and about half the board feels the same way according to my recent (unscientific) poll on here.

The toss-up road Kansas game will be a key moment. If Rutgers loses that game, I think it could be the beginning of the end for Coach Ash. He has to generate some excitement for this program like Coach Pikiell has in basketball.
Keep talking out of your ass. You pretend like things are true when really you just seem to have a massive agenda against ash. We have sitkowski and momentum in both recruiting and getting better and yet you have to constantly bitch and bleed.

Please dont bring up your garbage poll anymore..its literally worthless.

Reactions: gigantor1024
If Ash crashes and burns this season, we need to bring in Bo Peloni

The guy you know would love to get back to the Power 5. The guy can recruit and win. He is what the Tri State Area could use.

If Ash fails this season, Rutgers needs to grab the bull by the horns, and bring in a SOB to lift the ship from the bottom of the ocean. Because that is where this program is right now.

So you are just going to ignore the mess he inherited? The bottom of the ocean was 2016 my overly dramatic e-friend.

Reactions: Scoutnmayo
If Ash crashes and burns this season, we need to bring in Bo Pelini

Someone has dementia and doesnt remember what was inherited from flood.

Someone has dementia and doesnt remember what was inherited from flood.
Rutgers won a Big Ten bowl game under Flood in 2014-15. Now we're on the verge of a return to the Terry Shea years after one terrible Flood season and two by Ash. This is your favorite coach's last shot; if we lose to Kansas you better start thinking about a new screen name.

It was bad, but not GS 2001 bad

Get a grip.

It was very comparable. Ash inherited a roster of guys who partied 4-5 days a week, had no discipline, no strength and a talent level more fit for the Sun Belt conference. All while having to play 4 top 10 teams 2 years in a row.

Yet in 2 years you are saying we are at bottom and it might be time to pull the plug, all while ignoring the improvements that have happened. You're the one who needs to get a grip, or actually pay attention to the program's development.

Buzz like tickets will ramp up the second Sitkowski starts hitting Bo in stride for 25 yard receptions consistently in big games. Wins are important but we need exciting football.

If you are not a die hard, did you really enjoy watching that Purdue win last season? This area loves excitement. If Art is what we think he is and these young RB step up, things will get fun.

Rutgers won a Big Ten bowl game under Flood in 2014-15. Now we're on the verge of a return to the Terry Shea years after one terrible Flood season and two by Ash. This is your favorite coach's last shot; if we lose to Kansas you better start thinking about a new screen name.

Yeahp, just one bad season under Flood-nothing else happened under him whatsoever that was damaging to the program except for on-field between September 2015-November 2015. I can appreciate your concern for Ash and actually agree with your last statement but please stop with your cheap trolling remarks like the first 2 sentence of your above post. You know full well what you’re doing there and so does everyone else.

...I wish we had the buzz that we had going into Schiano’s 3rd year, like feature stories in Sports Illustrated about “why can’t we ever win”:

https://www.si.com/vault/2003/08/25...-things-are-turning-around-many-others-on-cam

Joe P.

Last edited:
Coach Ash comes from the Hayden Fry coaching tree. Those guys do it differently than we are used to in NJ. They don't care about creating buzz or marketing (which IMO is a mistake). They build smart, tough, physical football teams and create a culture that recruits to that. It takes time to build it. Think Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State. That is what he is building towards. Iowa football is boring as all hell, yet they win 8 games a year and smash the blue bloods in the mouth most years. I'll take that over a coach who hypes his program (PJ Fleck) and then gets his own oar shoved up his ass in B1G play.
Agree with entire post. Fan impatience. This is hump year for Ash with two more after that. There will be improvement. The vast improvement in the culture is apparent. All the recruits talk about the positive culture Ash is achieving.
BTW, best quote of the day... "I'll take that over a coach who hypes his program (PJ Fleck) and then gets his own oar shoved up his ass in B1G play."

Reactions: RUskoolie
I can appreciate your concern for Ash and actually agree with your last statement but please stop with your cheap trolling remarks like the first 2 sentence of your above post.
How is pointing out that Rutgers won a Big Ten bowl in 2014-15 "trolling?" It is a fact that shows how far this program has fallen. I never dreamed we'd be in this position in 2018, nor did I think I'd be far more optimistic about the basketball program than football. But that's where we are.

Agree with entire post. Fan impatience. This is hump year for Ash with two more after that. There will be improvement. The vast improvement in the culture is apparent. All the recruits talk about the positive culture Ash is achieving.
BTW, best quote of the day... "I'll take that over a coach who hypes his program (PJ Fleck) and then gets his own oar shoved up his ass in B1G play."
If you are going to give 3 years to Ash than its only fair to give PJ the same.
For the first 2 years Ash had something shoved up his ass too.

I don't know your posting reputation, and don't care really. However, I have to say your commentary about Kansas is pretty weak. You strike me as the type of poster that will say "I told you so" if we were to lose to Kansas, and "big deal we beat the worst D1 team of the last 5 years" if beat Kansas. So no matter what, you look good. That's gutless, really.

How is pointing out that Rutgers won a Big Ten bowl in 2014-15 "trolling?" It is a fact that shows how far this program has fallen. I never dreamed we'd be in this position in 2018, nor did I think I'd be far more optimistic about the basketball program than football. But that's where we are.

I think all of us share your frustration. But was it Ash or Flood who was responsible for the fall in the program? Most informed observers would say Flood. So Ash deserves a chance, and even three years is not enough given the starting point after Flood departed. There simply is not someone with a magic wand who could fix Flood's errors.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Well with that ranking we should be a lock to beat Kansas then.

I think all of us share your frustration. But was it Ash or Flood who was responsible for the fall in the program? Most informed observers would say Flood. So Ash deserves a chance, and even three years is not enough given the starting point after Flood departed. There simply is not someone with a magic wand who could fix Flood's errors.

At least at RU price range.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
That some funny sh*t[roll][roll][cheers]

Reactions: Knight Shift
I think it’s interesting and I guess I never really thought about how schiano really did the media stuff well and ash evidently is less interested in that and focuses more on the practice grind. Though I’m sure schiano practices were also quite good, just don’t recall the stories about it the way we see the stories about it with ash.

Who knows which is right, but schiano really proved he could scheme defensively. I think I’m waiting for ash to see if he can do that still.

Win and there will be buzz.. In fact being competitive against the top 4 in our division and Wisky it will sound like New Years in Times Square. But most of us are too old believe in miracles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT