ADVERTISEMENT

Football VIDEOS: Every Kaliakmanis & Wimsatt throw from spring game

Watched Kali first, and thought he wasn't great. Then I watched Wimsatt, and he was much worse, imo. I hope we can run for 200 yards per game. (and I'm definitely not a negative guy. But that was not good QB play.)

Have to agree with Mikebal. The only silver lining is AK seemed to calm down after his first few throws. He improved as the game went on.

Wimsatt still throwing darts. He just never throws in stride to allow for after catch yards. Huge disadvantage. Running for 200 yards a game isn’t realistic. With Monangai out there he won’t even get enough carries unless he’s picking up huge chunk TDs. Running against our depleted line in a spring game does not mean anything IMO.

Reactions: RUShea
It's funny- what I noticed more than the throws- our DB's need to be careful- there were at least 3 PI's that weren't called.

Reactions: PaKnight
Have to agree with Mikebal. The only silver lining is AK seemed to calm down after his first few throws. He improved as the game went on.

Wimsatt still throwing darts. He just never throws in stride to allow for after catch yards. Huge disadvantage. Running for 200 yards a game isn’t realistic. With Monangai out there he won’t even get enough carries unless he’s picking up huge chunk TDs. Running against our depleted line in a spring game does not mean anything IMO.
Pretty much agree with you and mikebal. I will say that a few of AK's good throws, were REALLY good throws. That dime on the bomb was beautiful and I thought the TD to his brother was perfect. The kind of throw GW regularly puts high or wide. To your point about hitting guys in stride, he hit one crosser that was on the money too that was a big gainer. GW just always seems a little off. Not always terrible but off just enough to prevent a catch or RAC. Except for that swing pass to Winowich. That was terrible.

How many drops between both QB’s?

How many drops between both QB’s?
Its hard to really look at this. If your talking about well thrown / places balls that receivers just point blank missed, it doesn’t seem like that many to me.

Wimsatt just doesn’t seem able to hit receivers in stride or time the placement on the side route short throws so that the receiver doesn’t have to slow down or come back.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
No Ajani Sheppard?

the office rage GIF

Seemed like 4-5 passes should have been caught… but we still need better by AK and GW… Ajani Shepherd I also liked last season in his limited field time. Just the type of QB like the VTech kid.

AK- Throws 2 and 3 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️. And a lot of stinker throws if you are not seeing this, take off your Greek glasses.

GW- similar issues. Throws 2 and 3🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ . Also a lot of stinker throws. #81 cost GW a several completions. And on the first deep pass to Toure, Toure got mugged, and also on second pass. There was a later pass to Toure, where there was clear defensive PI. Not cheering for GW, but switch 81 to the other team and give GW Brantley, and let's compare.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaKnight
Mainly did these to highlight the two players in the QB comp.
Do you and @mb5789 have a view on the Spring game between the two? I posted my thoughts above. Thought they both made an equal number of poor throws. AK has the advantage of Brantley. GW had Toure, but he got mugged on three plays that would have been PI in a game, and got screwed by #81's drops. Not cheerleading for GW, just trying to be objective. Was not wowed by either.

From an earlier podcast, you gave Ajani a low chance, but he showed some upside. Maybe next year for him.

Last edited:
Do you and @mb5789 have a view on the Spring game between the two? I posted my thoughts above. Thought they both made an equal number of poor throws. AK has the advantage of Brantley. GW had Toure, but he got mugged on three plays that would have been PI in a game, and got screwed by #83's drops. Not cheerleading for GW, just trying to be objective. Was not wowed by either.

From an earlier podcast, you gave Ajani a low chance, but he showed some upside. Maybe next year for him.
I did not notice any drops by #83 (Kaliakmanis) but saw a bunch from #81. Is that who you meant?

I did not notice any drops by #83 (Kaliakmanis) but saw a bunch from #81. Is that who you meant?

I suspect that’ll often be the case because unfortunately Gavin throws darts. They aren’t that easy to catch even when on target. I.e. he just doesn’t have a knack for finding receivers in stride. That’s the knock on him. Definitely more mobile though than AK. The question is, with Kyle, is the mobility more important than giving up the extra yards that can get picked up post catch with another QB? There’s enough data against weaker competition and scrimmage footage at this point to conclude that it’s not the receivers. Wide outs picked up yards after (not grind it out bulldozer style ones contested) for the other QBs. So it’s not just bad luck chance for Gavin on this one at this point.

I suspect that’ll often be the case because unfortunately Gavin throws darts. They aren’t that easy to catch even when on target. I.e. he just doesn’t have a knack for finding receivers in stride. That’s the knock on him. Definitely more mobile though than AK. The question is, with Kyle, is the mobility more important than giving up the extra yards that can get picked up post catch with another QB? There’s enough data against weaker competition and scrimmage footage at this point to conclude that it’s not the receivers. Wide outs picked up yards after (not grind it out bulldozer style ones contested) for the other QBs. So it’s not just bad luck chance for Gavin on this one at this point.

Gavin mobility thing..I was watching TKR podcast and there was some stuff about the Greek running the 40 a few clicks faster than GW's "4.8" in HS (4.8 was Mahomes combine time). First - HS 40s are pretty unreliable, and players can get faster in any case (especially when they are long limbed).

Second - there is a difference between burst speed and long speed. Ray Rice has tremendous burst off the snap and would be beyond the DL before they could find him. But despite that, a decent DB could track him down before he went too far (recall a 15 yd lead vs Pitt didn't keep Revis from catching Rice on a burst).

GW has long speed - once he gets a few yards of steam he eat yards like Secretariat (always came from behind). Not this year or decade is any other RU QB going to be able to run up field the same way GW can (a reason GW has RU QB records for TDs and yards). Best comparison to GW stride is Underwood. I understand people have issues with accuracy/completion stats (not much worse than other RU QBs the past decade) but GW is legit talet running up-field. He led B1G QBs for running yds/TDs - he's really good. A good fast/big/athletic WR like Dymere Miller can help exponentially as long asd OL can block long this year.

DlgFfss.gif

ZO79fdq.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Gavin mobility thing..I was watching TKR podcast and there was some stuff about the Greek running the 40 a few clicks faster than GW's "4.8" in HS (4.8 was Mahomes combine time). First - HS 40s are pretty unreliable, and players can get faster in any case (especially when they are long limbed).

Second - there is a difference between burst speed and long speed. Ray Rice has tremendous burst off the snap and would be beyond the DL before they could find him. But despite that, a decent DB could track him down before he went too far (recall a 15 yd lead vs Pitt didn't keep Revis from catching Rice on a burst).

GW has long speed - once he gets a few yards of steam he eat yards like Secretariat (always came from behind). Not this year or decade is any other RU QB going to be able to run up field the same way GW can (a reason GW has RU QB records for TDs and yards). Best comparison to GW stride is Underwood. I understand people have issues with accuracy/completion stats (not much worse than other RU QBs the past decade) but GW is legit talet running up-field. He led B1G QBs for running yds/TDs - he's really good. A good fast/big/athletic WR like Dymere Miller can help exponentially as long asd OL can block long this year.

DlgFfss.gif

The question really is how often would his running be a major factor? I don’t know the answer. Unless he’s improved in ways not visible in the film from the scrimmage, the competition throws a materially better all around ball than him. It’s not just the completion rate. For whatever reason, the “way” Gavin throws (too hard / fast and poor placement) prevents yards after unless they are the grind it out type. Very little in stride. That has to be considered when you think about the value he adds running the ball because we definitely lose yards post catch with him relative to other options.

The question really is how often would his running be a major factor? I don’t know the answer. Unless he’s improved in ways not visible in the film from the scrimmage, the competition throws a materially better all around ball than him. It’s not just the completion rate. For whatever reason, the “way” Gavin throws (too hard / fast and poor placement) prevents yards after unless they are the grind it out type. Very little in stride. That has to be considered when you think about the value he adds running the ball because we definitely lose yards post catch with him relative to other options.

Spring game stats were 3 TDs (GW) to 2TDs
He's not a scrub in Greek's shadow.
The Greek has skills but people tend to exaggerate them.
I know RU fans, and 1 or 2 games in the fans will hate him after an INT, fumble etc lol.
He's not Shedeur Sanders or Caleb Williams .
He was 17th ranked pro style QB in his class
With the running, we know GS must hold his breath a lot because he hates running QBs

Reactions: Knight Shift
Spring game stats were 3 TDs (GW) to 2TDs
He's not a scrub in Greek's shadow.
The Greek has skills but people tend to exaggerate them.
I know RU fans, and 1 or 2 games in the fans will hate him after an INT, fumble etc lol.
He's not Shedeur Sanders or Caleb Williams .
He was 17th ranked pro style QB in his class
With the running, we know GS must hold his breath a lot because he hates running QBs
And he's not Ajani either!!! 😉😤

DlgFfss.gif

ZO79fdq.gif
No way is Athan as fast as GW…

Do you and @mb5789 have a view on the Spring game between the two? I posted my thoughts above. Thought they both made an equal number of poor throws. AK has the advantage of Brantley. GW had Toure, but he got mugged on three plays that would have been PI in a game, and got screwed by #81's drops. Not cheerleading for GW, just trying to be objective. Was not wowed by either.

I can't stress this one enough, but take everything you see in any spring game with an absolute grain of salt.

I still think based on everything that's out there AK is the better choice, he's not light years better than GW, but he's better imo.

As for Ajani, I don't know if will ever be a starter on the banks if we are being honest. He's a good kid and a solid backup, but this year's comp is between AK and GW and no one else.

One of these 4 will be hard pressed to stay after the summer. Could they all stay ? Sure always possible but highly doubtful in this era of NIL.

One of these 4 will be hard pressed to stay after the summer. Could they all stay ? Sure always possible but highly doubtful in this era of NIL.

I'm going to say all 4 will NOT be here after the summer.

#BoardLegend

Chris Hemsworth Thor GIF by Regal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT