ADVERTISEMENT

View from the other side

It's hard to read those comments and remain optimistic that we may have improved at the quarterback position.
If this plays out; hopefully not; you really have to wonder how we missed out on all the other talented QBs available in the transfer portal. Did we even pursue anyone else?

Maybe, just maybe, and just maybe, not wishcasting or favoring anyone here, AK did better under KC than under the OC at Minnesota (wasn't he a Harbaugh?). That is something I think I saw on some posts and articles. This debate is interesting and filling up the message board, but just a lot of speculation over apples and oranges. Too many variable and differences to make a definitive call.
I agree. The only thing I think that is fair to say definitively is that we need an upgrade in our QB play (Rutgers Al blaming the WR crew not withstanding). Beyond that, I have no problem with people expressing opinions and speculating about which QB gives us the best chance.

I agree. The only thing I think that is fair to say definitively is that we need an upgrade in our QB play (Rutgers Al blaming the WR crew not withstanding). Beyond that, I have no problem with people expressing opinions and speculating about which QB gives us the best chance.
We need an upgrade in play from QB, WR and TE. OL and RB did a good job this year.

Reactions: Kbee3
Let the competition begin. If Winsatt wins then it’s the same as if AK was never here. I would assume Winsatt improved over this season to win. If AK wins, we made the right move. We got the experienced backup QB we needed anyway, a win win. If AJ Surace wins then we must really have a big win.
AK was brought in to compete for the job and Kirk C's familiarity with him gives him an even shot. Honestly, no one knows until summer camp starts. You need to see if GW spends the spring working on his mechanics. You need to see if AK just needed a fresh start to get his head right.

The best case scenario would be that AK wins the job mid August and that GW gets situational playing time every game. Hopefully Surace has a P5 arm because he may very well be looking at the job in 25.

AK was brought in to compete for the job and Kirk C's familiarity with him gives him an even shot. Honestly, no one knows until summer camp starts. You need to see if GW spends the spring working on his mechanics. You need to see if AK just needed a fresh start to get his head right.

The best case scenario would be that AK wins the job mid August and that GW gets situational playing time every game. Hopefully Surace has a P5 arm because he may very well be looking at the job in 25.
No. The best case scenario is GW running away with the job to highlight the success of homegrown RU player development.

Reactions: Kbee3 and kbllmy21
I don’t think podcasters necessarily know more in every situation or every scenario.
I remember podcasters raving about oden as the next great rutgers quarterback
Don't forget Hayden Rettig , when he transferred in: all of RU QB problems were solved.
I was one who felt a new day dawning for the passing game
A few years later , RU recruited Artur Sitkowski to be the passing game's savior.
I pointed out that he wasn't the starter at IMG Academy in his senior year .
My opinion was Sit needed to sit out his freshman year as a redshirt to learn how to use the talent he was supposed to have , because I felt if he wasn't the starter at IMG he wasn't ready to be a starter at the college level.

So this Minnesota transfer shouldn't be given a free pass and made the QB position savior.
He's fighting the history of disappointments in QBs being saviors and many feel RU's QB last year is one of the disappointments.

Reactions: Plum Street
Either way, we needed another experienced QB on the roster to compete for the job. And it should be a true competition, although we never seem to have one here.
It is but the fans don’t want to believe it. Either the 30% that want Winsatt or 70% that want AK will cry it wasn’t really a fair competition.

He doesn’t remember AK because he didn’t play in the game against us. Tanner Morgan did. AK took over the second half of the season when Morgan got injured and then played well enough to keep the job when Morgan healed. Then AK got hurt after a good start in the bowl game and Morgan finished the game.
That might have been the reason. LOL. Minn could have had a lamp post giving hand offs that day.

GO RU

That might have been the reason. LOL. Minn could have had a lamp post giving hand offs that day.

GO RU
The greatness of KC was shown that day and schiano was in love again .
The 99 yard drive that KC called can’t be topped

He doesn’t remember AK because he didn’t play in the game against us. Tanner Morgan did. AK took over the second half of the season when Morgan got injured and then played well enough to keep the job when Morgan healed. Then AK got hurt after a good start in the bowl game and Morgan finished the game.
Just looked up box score for game. Minn ran 53 times and passed 21 times. Mohamed had 36 carries for 160 yds. Minn had a total of 255 rush yds and 122 pass yds.

Not much offensive balance needed when running at that level.

GO RU

Some of those podcasters don’t know anything. I would take @gef21 opinion on the 2 QBs over some podcaster.
gef21:
"If we have our full complement of WRs next year, and TE play improves, we will see a vastly improved passing game."
"Hot take. If our WRs and TEs elevate their play the QBs will look better."

Reactions: TRU2RU and RU205
Agree with that.

Ultimately, the only people whose opinions matter to me, when it comes to this sort of thing, are professional coaches. And in this case, even the QB's recent coaches only have a bit more than half of the necessary facts and observations to form an informed opinion.

In order by least amount of information, we have (*):

1. Fans = missing ~99% of the information
2. Media with no pro coaching experience = missing ~97%
3. Media with pro coaching experience = missing ~90%
4. Pro coaches with no recent practice-time exposure to either QB = missing ~85%
5. Pro coaches with some recent practice-time exposure to one of the QBs = missing ~80%
6. Pro coaches with some recent practice-time exposure to both QBs = missing ~75%
7. Pro coaches who coached one of the QBs on their most recent team = missing ~45%

Only the pro coaches who are coaching both players on the same team at the same time have a near-complete set of facts and observations with which to form a reasonably accurate viewpoint on which of the two players can best help the team win its games in 2024. And even then, it's not 100%.

* These percentages have been double-secret-certified by the National Institute of Standards and Technology's Office of Weights and Measures.
keeping score, the coaches and fans are about 50/50
don't put your eggs in 'professional' anything as far too often, being so close inhibits your ability to see in front of you

no doubt this kid is better just based on what we saw. to support this conclusion, he was offered recruited at 2 schools and now has been offered a spot here. We have fans that think he is no better and a coaching staff in MN that would agree with those fans. Our coaches think otherwise and half our fans think otherwise. back to 50/50

I'm just glad I'm usually right so I'm on the side of our coaches and half the fans that are not irrationally defending a qb that is worse in p5 and lowest in fcs. :)

keeping score, the coaches and fans are about 50/50
don't put your eggs in 'professional' anything as far too often, being so close inhibits your ability to see in front of you

no doubt this kid is better just based on what we saw. to support this conclusion, he was offered recruited at 2 schools and now has been offered a spot here. We have fans that think he is no better and a coaching staff in MN that would agree with those fans. Our coaches think otherwise and half our fans think otherwise. back to 50/50

I'm just glad I'm usually right so I'm on the side of our coaches and half the fans that are not irrationally defending a qb that is worse in p5 and lowest in fcs. :)
Fans are almost never right except in hindsight. Fans guess at stuff so abstracted from what coaches need to know and do, that it’s not possible for fans to be anything other than occasionally lucky they guessed at a result and it worked out the way they guessed.

But coaches make tens of thousands of important decisions per season. Highly detailed, technical stuff. Fans guess at like a couple dozen things, typically based on incorrect rumor, innuendo, speculation, etc.

It’s lots of fun for us fans to babble about the games and the players and all. I enjoy doing it like everybody else.

But I never lose sight of the fact that us fans are FOS, except the very few fans who are also highly trained and experienced coaches of the sport being discussed. And even those coaches lack most of the information the coaching staff of the team have, making a lot of what the unaffiliated coaches say mostly guesswork too.

My man Clint Eastwood said “a man’s gotta know his limitations”. I know my limitations with regard to knowing better than a D1 pro football coaching staff. And you and 99.9% of our other fans have the exact same limitations as me.

No offense. 😀

Reactions: TRU2RU
Fans are almost never right except in hindsight. Fans guess at stuff so abstracted from what coaches need to know and do, that it’s not possible for fans to be anything other than occasionally lucky they guessed at a result and it worked out the way they guessed.

But coaches make tens of thousands of important decisions per season. Highly detailed, technical stuff. Fans guess at like a couple dozen things, typically based on incorrect rumor, innuendo, speculation, etc.

It’s lots of fun for us fans to babble about the games and the players and all. I enjoy doing it like everybody else.

But I never lose sight of the fact that us fans are FOS, except the very few fans who are also highly trained and experienced coaches of the sport being discussed. And even those coaches lack most of the information the coaching staff of the team have, making a lot of what the unaffiliated coaches say mostly guesswork too.

My man Clint Eastwood said “a man’s gotta know his limitations”. I know my limitations with regard to knowing better than a D1 pro football coaching staff. And you and 99.9% of our other fans have the exact same limitations as me.

No offense. 😀
It s so silly to think that an average fan knows more than a pro , yet you see weirdo fans every day think they know more in an arrogant way no less.

No offense. 😀
absolutely not true and this board is a great example of that. Do we even need to address Ash..lol

It s so silly to think that an average fan knows more than a pro , yet you see weirdo fans every day think they know more in an arrogant way no less.
I view myself as a weirdo fan and I can be pretty arrogant. And I even like being really silly. But it’s pretty nutty when fans think they know better.

And it’s even more nutty, and funny, when they say “but coaches get it wrong all the time”. 😀

Yeah, they DO get stuff wrong. Duh. And maybe some other pro coach would do better.

But on their worst day of decision-making, a pro D1 coaching staff will be right on a 1000 other things that fans never heard of and wouldn’t understand or know how to begin deciding in the first place. We fans are so uninformed that we don’t even know how to correctly identify and discuss what the coaches got wrong.

absolutely not true and this board is a great example of that. Do we even need to address Ash..lol
Now you’re being dumb. Ash has forgotten more in the last five minutes about football coaching than you’ll ever know (or than I’ll ever know). Same with Flood, Schiano, and every other pro coach.

Coaches can be better than one-another. But not fans. Fans know almost nothing of value and are much closer to a potted plant than a pro coach when it comes to knowledge and decision-making about a given sport.

I like to think of myself as that furry cactus that looks like it would feel good to squeeze but just under the soft fur are the cactus spines which hurt like hell. I may be being overly self-congratulatory about that, though. 😀

I view myself as a weirdo fan and I can be pretty arrogant. And I even like being really silly. But it’s pretty nutty when fans think they know better.

And it’s even more nutty, and funny, when they say “but coaches get it wrong all the time”. 😀

Yeah, they DO get stuff wrong. Duh. And maybe some other pro coach would do better.

But on their worst day of decision-making, a pro D1 coaching staff will be right on a 1000 other things that fans never heard of and wouldn’t understand or know how to begin deciding in the first place. We fans are so uninformed that we don’t even know how to correctly identify and discuss what the coaches got wrong.
Exactly.

Now you’re being dumb. Ash has forgotten more in the last five minutes about football coaching than you’ll ever know (or than I’ll ever know). Same with Flood, Schiano, and every other pro coach.

Coaches can be better than one-another. But not fans. Fans know almost nothing of value and are much closer to a potted plant than a pro coach when it comes to knowledge and decision-making about a given sport.

I like to think of myself as that furry cactus that looks like it would feel good to squeeze but just under the soft fur are the cactus spines which hurt like hell. I may be being overly self-congratulatory about that, though. 😀
you swung and missed here. you missed the entire point but it's ok

also, you'd be amazed at how much coaches miss

Coaches don't always make the right choices or at least sometimes value variables that may not correlate with immediate success. Lots and lots of very obvious examples of this from high school sports through hall of fame pro careers. I would definitely agree most of the d1 coaches, if not all, know more than the average fan but it doesn't mean they always use that knowledge to make the best personel choices or game day calls.

I think Minnesota fans saying they aren't losing much and Rutgers fans saying they are making a potential gain can both be right.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT