ADVERTISEMENT

Are we done at QB now?

Imagine Sanu getting wasted like this - DB barely had to do anything (and pass was on target)

N96gA8P.gif
Appears the throw was late.

You are saying Simon isn't a P5 QB. Do you think he is a P5 QB?
I'm saying that's what the NJ.com and TKR guys said. I haven't seen enough of Simon to have a first hand opinion. So absent that, I'll go with what the professional reporters said.

Again who cares what he was back in 2020/2021. He certainly isn't after 3.years in the program.

People are comparing two QBs who were never recruited to be the same type of player.
A "Pro" is considered less mobile and more of a pocket passer with somewhat better reads and accuracy, while a dual work with feet more
Gavin has 11 TDs including bowl and Kaliak has 2
Do people want to lose 9 TDs for a few pubes up the accuracy index?
RUs whole WR corps had 7 TDs

Just having the ability to run keeps defenses more honest
Get RU an All-B1G WR like Minnesota's and that will be worth a few more pubes right there
Many people keep comparing apples-oranges QB wise, and assuming all WRs weaknesses are because of QB. A pro QB offense is really hard to run great with mediocre skill plays

udhF3cw.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rutgersfan1766
Is AK it?
Are we looking at any other or have the interest of any other transfer QBs?
Any rumblings at all?
AK has experience but he's not exactly blowing anyone's hair back.

I would have hoped that the prospect of playing with a great defense and great RB would entice a higher level QB transfer to complement what has the potential to be a very good team next year.

Could be a good showcase for a QB.
We are done .

Reactions: rutgersal
I'm saying that's what the NJ.com and TKR guys said. I haven't seen enough of Simon to have a first hand opinion. So absent that, I'll go with what the professional reporters said.
Simon got beat out he just could not do it up here despite a few years in the program. He transferred to lower program and lower conference so he should do well there.

People are comparing two QBs who were never recruited to be the same type of player.
A "Pro" is considered less mobile and more of a pocket passer with somewhat better reads and accuracy

Get RU an All-B1G WR like Minnesota had and that will be worth a few more pubes right there
Many people keep comparing apples-oranges QB wise, and assuming all WRs weaknesses are because of QB. A pro QB offense is really hard to run great with mediocre skill plays

udhF3cw.jpg
No what keeps defenses honest is the ability run and pass. KM did wonders (and the Oline) this year as there was hardly any threat to pass and zero threat to throw deep.
And you definitely have me confused that I think that AK is the next coming of Joe Burrow. If those two is all we have, we are in trouble in 2024

Reactions: ashokan
Simon got beat out he just could not do it up here despite a few years in the program. He transferred to lower program and lower conference so he should do well there.
he wasn't beat out, Gav was going to be #1 no matter what. You don't recruit that high and play over him. Greg need that type of recruit and gave him every opportunity.

Reactions: WhiteBus
A "Pro" is considered less mobile and more of a pocket passer with somewhat better reads and accuracy, while a dual work with feet more

Get RU an All-B1G WR like Minnesota's and that will be worth a few more pubes right there

udhF3cw.jpg
Yes, how in the world would we have scored from the one yard line without Gavin?

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
On the rest of it, that may be so (except the drops, I did NOT see a lot of drops, and I think the stats back that up). Getting open or not...that's hard for me to evaluate. What was easy to evaluate is that I saw, several times each game, an open WR badly overthrown. That's pretty clear. That means that the WR did in fact get open.
Like you, I saw receivers open plenty of times too. But I recognize there's a lot more taking place on most pass plays than meets the eye. And I understand that lots of things, involving players other than the QB, have to go right to have good chance of success. Any of the following fail and the odds of an incompletion go up radically. But it's always the QB who is blamed.

- the OL has to protect long enough
- the TE(s) have to protect long enough
- the RBs have to pick up rushers who get through the OL/TE(s)
- the receiver has to be open enough
- the receiver has to be open quickly enough
- the receiver has to break in the right direction which might vary based on coverage
- the receiver has to break at the right time which also might vary based on coverage
- there has to be a passing lane to where the open receiver is or the receiver has to adjust

This is why I always say receivers have to be open reliably. Or put another way, they have to be open on most pass plays, not just some plays the way ours are. Because all the things that have to go right don't align very often for us. Teams with good passing games are able to do all that stuff well enough on lots of the pass plays they run. They're reliable at it. We're not.

If you really think about it, lots of the time, we don't actually know why the pass was incomplete. We just think we do from what we see. But looks are deceiving.

All we know is the QB threw it and it didn't go to where the receiver is. So we say the QB sucks. But for all we know, the receiver went to the wrong place or at the wrong time, forcing the QB to throw too late and too hard, and under too much pressure leading to the pass being too far off target. The coaches know. We do not.

We need better, more consistent play from our QB. We need GW or AK or someone else to do better. I'm not arguing against that.

But we can't just improve QB play alone and not fix all the rest or else we'll be in almost exactly the same place next season.

your bias is showing
bad route as he's 2 steps out instead of in and..........late delivery
I don't think it was late. Not if trying to avoid INTs.

The break itself was slow, and might've been a step late for all we know. The DB had already started moving toward where the receiver was breaking before the receiver did.

That was a good example of GW avoiding a turnover and still getting the ball where it could be caught. The receiver needs to catch it.

And I'm not biased towards any QB.

People like to think that a couple percentage points better completion rate will result in more wins. But hypotheticals work both ways. How many games would we have lost without GW's running game?

If AK was as good a runner as GW (and for all I know, maybe he is), then it might be an easy choice. If not, it's not so easy a choice unless we can improve all aspects of our passing game, not just QB passing accuracy.

No one thinks he is good. Maybe Rutgersal. But we know he is better than Simon.
I think he's good, but inconsistent. I think AK is good, but inconsistent. I think Simon is good, but not as good as the other two and also inconsistent.

To me, the question isn't if they're good. It's if they're good enough to win under the actual circumstances in which they're going to have to play. Simon clearly wasn't. GW helped us to 7 wins.

At various points over this year the NJ.com and TKR guys all uniformly expressed the opinion that Simon was not remotely a P5 QB and dismissed him pretty roughly as a potential upgrade or successor.
In my opinion they were definitely wrong, just as wrong as GS has been with his QB selections over the many years .

Like you, I saw receivers open plenty of times too. But I recognize there's a lot more taking place on most pass plays than meets the eye. And I understand that lots of things, involving players other than the QB, have to go right to have good chance of success. Any of the following fail and the odds of an incompletion go up radically. But it's always the QB who is blamed.

- the OL has to protect long enough
- the TE(s) have to protect long enough
- the RBs have to pick up rushers who get through the OL/TE(s)
- the receiver has to be open enough
- the receiver has to be open quickly enough
- the receiver has to break in the right direction which might vary based on coverage
- the receiver has to break at the right time which also might vary based on coverage
- there has to be a passing lane to where the open receiver is or the receiver has to adjust

This is why I always say receivers have to be open reliably. Or put another way, they have to be open on most pass plays, not just some plays the way ours are. Because all the things that have to go right don't align very often for us. Teams with good passing games are able to do all that stuff well enough on lots of the pass plays they run. They're reliable at it. We're not.

If you really think about it, lots of the time, we don't actually know why the pass was incomplete. We just think we do from what we see. But looks are deceiving.

All we know is the QB threw it and it didn't go to where the receiver is. So we say the QB sucks. But for all we know, the receiver went to the wrong place or at the wrong time, forcing the QB to throw too late and too hard, and under too much pressure leading to the pass being too far off target. The coaches know. We do not.

We need better, more consistent play from our QB. We need GW or AK or someone else to do better. I'm not arguing against that.

But we can't just improve QB play alone and not fix all the rest or else we'll be in almost exactly the same place next season.
Sure to all of that. But again we had plenty of WRs breaking open that he just missed. Enough that it's an obvious problem. So, OL, route running, getting separation, right timing...your guess is no better than mine. But when the receiver is wide open and the pass sails over his head by 10 yards...multiple times a game....that's clearly a problem and that would very likely change with AK.

Do you think schiano sabotaged the team for some qb agenda? Neither Simon nor Sheppard showed anything to indicate they are better than wimsatt. Simon was not good in 2022, period. Sheppard was a no name recruit and a true freshman last year.
What??? They didn't show anything because they didn't go on the field more then 1 time each. A Miami fan trolling here is funny after we embarrased them in NYC.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Do you think schiano sabotaged the team for some qb agenda? Neither Simon nor Sheppard showed anything to indicate they are better than wimsatt. Simon was not good in 2022, period. Sheppard was a no name recruit and a true freshman last year.
Exactly. That particular fan-favorite conspiracy theory is laughably ridiculous.

Nearly all such theories, rooted in the idea that the coaching staff isn't playing the QB that they think gives them the best chance to win, are laughably ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3
My guess is to avoid sparking a distracting QB controversy if he played well.
How many times in the past 4 years have the staff had to “avoid distractions” with GW during recruiting and his actual career? It’s like this is all you hear on why the staff didn’t recruit another QB, didn’t play another QB, or got another QB in the portal to compete against GW.

Neither did Wimsatt

Sure to all of that. But again we had plenty of WRs breaking open that he just missed. Enough that it's an obvious problem. So, OL, route running, getting separation, right timing...your guess is no better than mine. But when the receiver is wide open and the pass sails over his head by 10 yards...multiple times a game....that's clearly a problem and that would very likely change with AK.
GW definitely had his errant passes. But I also think a lot of his overthrows, along with some underthrows into the ground, were intentional but not super obvious as such. Somewhere during the early part of the season, I could swear I heard GS comment on how he would prefer GW to throw his throwaways farther away.

I think either GW or AK will have a higher completion percentage next season, mostly because I think all the components of the passing game are likely to improve some, including both QBs accuracy and decision making. But part of the reason I estimate it's 60/40 GW will start is that I think GS values GW's avoidance of turnovers. Only takes a couple more turnovers and we're not at 7 wins last season.

If AK tries to force passes into coverage, and it leads to INTs, that won't get him the starter job or allow him to keep it very long. GS wants more accuracy out of the QB position, but also wants a ton of patience and caution.

Maybe GS will trust his D even more and take more chances on O. But I'll have to see it to believe it.

What??? They didn't show anything because they didn't go on the field more then 1 time each. A Miami fan trolling here is funny after we embarrased them in NYC.
You're confusing what the fans see and what the coaches see. The fans see the QBs only when they play in games.

But the coaching staff sees the QBs in every practice. The "one time each" thing is entirely untrue insofar as the actual decision-makers goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3
How many times in the past 4 years have the staff had to “avoid distractions” with GW during recruiting and his actual career? It’s like this is all you hear on why the staff didn’t recruit another QB, didn’t play another QB, or got another QB in the portal to compete against GW.
Yeah, but the narrative that the staff had to avoid distractions is a fan narrative based on fan conjecture. I don't place much stock in it's accuracy.

You're confusing what the fans see and what the coaches see. The fans see the QBs only when the play in games.

But the coaching staff sees the QBs in every practice. The "one time each" thing is entirely untrue insofar as the actual decision-makers goes.
You'd think they wouldn't need to be told that.....over and over and over again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT