ADVERTISEMENT

Are we done at QB now?

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
Is AK it?
Are we looking at any other or have the interest of any other transfer QBs?
Any rumblings at all?
AK has experience but he's not exactly blowing anyone's hair back.

I would have hoped that the prospect of playing with a great defense and great RB would entice a higher level QB transfer to complement what has the potential to be a very good team next year.

Could be a good showcase for a QB.

Is AK it?
Are we looking at any other or have the interest of any other transfer QBs?
Any rumblings at all?
AK has experience but he's not exactly blowing anyone's hair back.

I would have hoped that the prospect of playing with a great defense and great RB would entice a higher level QB transfer to complement what has the potential to be a very good team next year.

Could be a good showcase for a QB.
Why does everyone overlook Sheppard?

Why does everyone overlook Sheppard?

I mean, for me personally - I'm waiting until the coaching staff actually looks at him.
Is Sheppard expected to push or compete with GW next year?
This past year he literally didn't play except for Wagner.
I had hoped he would get in more games - especially after we clinched a bowl - to get experience but the coaching staff had other plans.

Wimsatt played in 4 games as a true freshman at least.

We were unable to understand this song being sung to us:

I mean, for me personally - I'm waiting until the coaching staff actually looks at him.
Is Sheppard expected to push or compete with GW next year?
This past year he literally didn't play except for Wagner.
I had hoped he would get in more games - especially after we clinched a bowl - to get experience but the coaching staff had other plans.

Wimsatt played in 4 games as a true freshman at least.
Any can be expected to compete
with GW. It won't take much.
The coaching staff, once we became bowl eligible kept marching out GW in the hopes he got better. He didn't. Time to move on.
I'm guessing the reason Simon transferred is that he fell behind Sheppard.

Any can be expected to compete
with GW. It won't take much.
The coaching staff, once we became bowl eligible kept marching out GW in the hopes he got better. He didn't. Time to move on.
I'm guessing the reason Simon transferred is that he fell behind Sheppard.
Simon did not fall behind Sheppard. The plan was to allow Simon to redshirt if possible so that he would have two years of eligibility when he transferred at the end of the year. Simon did not play in garbage time against Wagner but came in with the game in doubt against Michigan State.

Reactions: WestOrangeCL
Simon did not fall behind Sheppard. The plan was to allow Simon to redshirt if possible so that he would have two years of eligibility when he transferred at the end of the year. Simon did not play in garbage time against Wagner but came in with the game in doubt against Michigan State.

Then why didn't he get into games? He had 2 more games available to play in. He got into 1 game against Wisconsin not MSU. 2/3 30 yards and a TD. That was his 2023 season.

We are done for now. I assume if AK doesn’t get the start, he’ll transfer again. We’ll be back in the market.

Reactions: Zimm80
I‘d be more concerned with finding other positions in the transfer portal, with WR being one of the highest priorities. We could have the best QB on the planet, if we can’t get receivers more reliably open, and those receivers can‘t reliably win the ball in tight coverage, then any QB improvement will go largely wasted.

The coaching staff know where we need add strength and are surely working out who they have a realistic shot at getting, and are working on getting them.

By all accounts, coaching D1 CFB is a ton of work to be done in a limited time. So I would think they’re focusing their limited time as best as they can on what they know we need and not wasting it on dreams about players we have no shot at getting.

Then why didn't he get into games? He had 2 more games available to play in. He got into 1 game against Wisconsin not MSU. 2/3 30 yards and a TD. That was his 2023 season.
My bad about the game. He still was the backup. They were not going to play him unless the game was winnable, in case he was needed due to an injury to Gavin.

I‘d be more concerned with finding other positions in the transfer portal, with WR being one of the highest priorities. We could have the best QB on the planet, if we can’t get receivers more reliably open, and those receivers can‘t reliably win the ball in tight coverage, then any QB improvement will go largely wasted.

The coaching staff know where we need add strength and are surely working out who they have a realistic shot at getting, and are working on getting them.

By all accounts, coaching D1 CFB is a ton of work to be done in a limited time. So I would think they’re focusing their limited time as best as they can on what they know we need and not wasting it on dreams about players we have no shot at getting.

We got one WR from the portal who will make the two deep. Hopefully Brantley will come back to play and Strong will be better. WR isn't the most glaring need. We need DTs and TEs badly. Please contribute what you can to NIL collectives, if you want our team to get more talent.

Reactions: Eagleton96
We got one WR from the portal who will make the two deep. Hopefully Brantley will come back to play and Strong will be better. WR isn't the most glaring need. We need DTs and TEs badly. Please contribute what you can to NIL collectives, if you want our team to get more talent.
Dremmel is also back and he seems badly underappreciated by some on this board.

The staff was going to give GW a full season to develop; come hell or high water. Simon was the better QB in camp but the deck was stacked against him.

The staff was going to give GW a full season to develop; come hell or high water. Simon was the better QB in camp but the deck was stacked against him.
At various points over this year the NJ.com and TKR guys all uniformly expressed the opinion that Simon was not remotely a P5 QB and dismissed him pretty roughly as a potential upgrade or successor.

At various points over this year the NJ.com and TKR guys all uniformly expressed the opinion that Simon was not remotely a P5 QB and dismissed him pretty roughly as a potential upgrade or successor.
I went to a couple of practices this past summer camp. Simon was clearly the best QB in camp and it was apparent what was going on. I think if you ask Rich S, he'll agree.

As a point of comparison, Simon threw for over 300 yards against Iowa last year. How'd GW do against them this year?

• Haha
Reactions: jtung230
I went to a couple of practices this past summer camp. Simon was clearly the best QB in camp and it was apparent what was going on. I think if you ask Rich S, he'll agree.

As a point of comparison, Simon threw for over 300 yards against Iowa last year. How'd GW do against them this year?
Well, Simon will get to show what he's got next season at Temple.

• Haha
Reactions: Morrischiano
Compared to GW?? You consider him a P5 QB with the worst completion percentage in the FBS? He was 106th out of 106. Simon possibly couldn't measure up running but much more accurate.

I hope the coaching staff has a much better plan next year.

The Wisconsin game was the one that baffled me a bit. Up to that point, Gavin was not playing well and threw a pick 6. Simon comes in and leads us to a short touchdown. I would have been intrigued if I were the coach to see if he could do it again. Nope. Schiano gets Gavin back in the first chance he could get. That was the point when I realized that nothing was taking Gavin out. I think Schiano 1.0 had too quick of a hook and Schiano 2.0 has too slow of a hook. Just my 2c.

Preseason reviews were that the WR crew was the weakest in years and it was.
Contested catches, long passes, YAC yards barely existed.
The whole WR crew produced total of 7 TDs - 1 less than Minn's all B1G WR (he had 8).
Certainly some passes were sloppy etc but even good passes couldn't be caught or tried (long balls).
Good, B1G WRs catch off-throws all the time.
At RU a WR has to be standing or running alone to increase chances - and not too far from LOS.

Wimsatt's best skill is running - he should be doing more of it when field is opened-up.
Gavn's #10 ranking was for "Dual Threat QB" and not "Pro QB" (Carlos Del Rio was #10 there)
Bama's Jalen Milroe was ahead of GW on Dual listing and their run stats are close.
His comp % went from 43% to 58% to 65% in three years.
Of course he had great WRs at Bama

Reactions: mildone
Preseason reviews were that the WR crew was the weakest in years and it was.
Contested catches, long passes, YAC yards barely existed.
The whole WR crew produced total of 7 TDs - 1 less than Minn's all B1G WR (he had 8).
Certainly some passes were sloppy etc but even good passes couldn't be caught or tried (long balls).
Good, B1G WRs catch off-throws all the time.
At RU a WR has to be standing or running alone to increase chances - and not too far from LOS.

Wimsatt's best skill is running - he should be doing more of it when field is opened-up.
Gavn's #10 ranking was for "Dual Threat QB" and not "Pro QB" (Carlos Del Rio was #10 there)
Bama's Jalen Milroe was ahead of GW on Dual listing and their run stats are close.
His comp % went from 43% to 58% to 65% in three years.
Of course he had great WRs at Bama

Your data is two years old!

Dremmel is also back and he seems badly underappreciated by some on this board.
I greatly appreciate Dremel and Strong and every other player we currently have. And I am sure they will improve between now and next season, and even more so with additional years of development. But we can’t know that they will improve enough and in time.

Us appreciating them doesn’t magically turn them into Sanu or Carroo or some of the great WRs RU had during GS’s first stint here. We need some guys like that immediately.

And our WRs struggled to get open reliably against many of our conference mates, and even against Miami. There have been too many drops and too many cases where our receivers lost the battle in tight coverage.

And finally, our receivers seem to often not recognize and react quickly enough when the QB is under pressure - they fail to break off long routes and show for the ball. Maybe some of that is coaching. But I kinda doubt it because it’s pretty obvious to me and I’m no kind of football coach.

I keep emphasizing that this stuff has to happen reliably. Because when it does, it makes even bad QBs look a hell of a lot better. When it happens sporadically, which it does for us, that’s just not good enough.

Fed that info by who ?

The Wisconsin game was the one that baffled me a bit. Up to that point, Gavin was not playing well and threw a pick 6. Simon comes in and leads us to a short touchdown. I would have been intrigued if I were the coach to see if he could do it again. Nope. Schiano gets Gavin back in the first chance he could get. That was the point when I realized that nothing was taking Gavin out. I think Schiano 1.0 had too quick of a hook and Schiano 2.0 has too slow of a hook. Just my 2c.
X1000. QB1 was in the bag for GW all along.

Reactions: RUShea
Compared to GW?? You consider him a P5 QB with the worst completion percentage in the FBS? He was 106th out of 106. Simon possibly couldn't measure up running but much more accurate.
I don't know what you are saying.

Imagine Sanu getting wasted like this - DB barely had to do anything (and pass was on target)

N96gA8P.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: mildone
No one under appreciated Dremmel. He Is a solid player, that works hard. But he’s not a Britt, Sanu, Carroo #1 WR. This team needs a true #1 and #2 WR.
I think Dremmel was a solid middle of the pack B1G slot receiver. And frankly that's good enough for where we are right now. He was open a lot and made the tough catches. Agree we need a #1, and looks like Miller or Strong need to be that guy. Meanwhile, GW was a back of the pack QB for the B1G and in fact for all of P5. So I disagree with people saying we should focus on WR and not look at upgrading QB. Especially since we already did bring in a #1 WR type through the portal.

I greatly appreciate Dremel and Strong and every other player we currently have. And I am sure they will improve between now and next season, and even more so with additional years of development. But we can’t know that they will improve enough and in time.

Us appreciating them doesn’t magically turn them into Sanu or Carroo or some of the great WRs RU had during GS’s first stint here. We need some guys like that immediately.

And our WRs struggled to get open reliably against many of our conference mates, and even against Miami. There have been too many drops and too many cases where our receivers lost the battle in tight coverage.

And finally, our receivers seem to often not recognize and react quickly enough when the QB is under pressure - they fail to break off long routes and show for the ball. Maybe some of that is coaching. But I kinda doubt it because it’s pretty obvious to me and I’m no kind of football coach.

I keep emphasizing that this stuff has to happen reliably. Because when it does, it makes even bad QBs look a hell of a lot better. When it happens sporadically, which it does for us, that’s just not good enough.
RU already landed it's top WR target that is supposed to slot into the #1 WR role. On the rest of it, that may be so (except the drops, I did NOT see a lot of drops, and I think the stats back that up). Getting open or not...that's hard for me to evaluate. What was easy to evaluate is that I saw, several times each game, an open WR badly overthrown. That's pretty clear. That means that the WR did in fact get open.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT