ADVERTISEMENT

Are we done at QB now?

None of our QBs, in 2023, was special, that's true. What we do know is GW was the best of what we had. Otherwise another QB would've been playing.

For 2024, AK may or may not be as good as GW; we won't actually know until we see who the staff chose to play. They may be close enough that we see them both play at times in different games, who knows.
Since all QBs improve year over year, and since we could theoretically get another QB in the portal, we can't know if any of the QBs on our roster will wind up being special or not.

But here's the thing, we don't need "special" for 2024 unless the team changes it's O approach to one that's pass heavy, which seems pretty unlikely. All we need to win is basically what GW gave us but even better and with more consistency in passing accuracy. Doesn't matter who gives us that as long as we get it.

If AK can run, then we maybe get that although the stats and the MN fan comments don't scream "special" or "better" or "more consistent" to me. Passing stats look close enough to in the margin of comparison error. Running stats favor GW. Fan comments look like a wash - neither fanbase loves either QB.

We do know that AK decided to jump ship for some reason and that GW decided to stay put and fight for his job here. FWTW.

So we wait and see. I'll leave the aggressive predictions to others and stick with thinking it's 60/40 that GW starts the first game due to his incumbency advantage until something happens to change my mind.
But we'll see, a lot can happen between now and then.
bolded-that's not true and has all but been confirmed. there was no real comp

disagree on first part as we didn't see what Simon and crew could do as no opportunity with this line/running game. NOT fair to say that no one was special imho.

but I do think none of it matters now as AK is here so it's tomorrow that matters more. Can't argue with anything else you said, time will tell!

Reactions: TheKnightclub
Ahhh, to be so naive …

Sure, he wanted to win. But he wanted to win with a specific philosophy which called for a running QB. He wanted to win with the guy due 6 figure NIL, etc. He wanted to win with Wimsatt, passing be damned.

Here‘s the dagger to your logic : how do you reconcile his wanting to win and not returning any punts all year? Answer: philosophy.

philosophy determined the QB, not ability.
You are so crazy!

Reactions: pmvon
Well, were GW not to start next year his rushing ability from the 1 yard line would utterly missed. We’d certainly never score from there without him. That talent is worth the scholarship by itself.

Not only would a Simon-led offense have failed to ever score TDs from inside the 5, there would have been a pick six the other way if he played.

Oh, wait…
Simon is irrelevant. He wasn't good enough to beat a QB many of our fans think sucks.

Our much touted and Big Ten renowned RB had 1311 yards rushing on the season. Our QB, with roughly half the rushes of the RB, had roughly half the same yardage as that RB at 591.

No matter how you want to spin it, that says that GW was an undeniably big reason RU got 7 wins in 2023.

Simon is irrelevant. He wasn't good enough to beat a QB many of our fans think sucks.

Our much touted and Big Ten renowned RB had 1311 yards rushing on the season. Our QB, with roughly half the rushes of the RB, had roughly half the same yardage as that RB at 591.

No matter how you want to spin it, that says that GW was an undeniably big reason RU got 7 wins in 2023.
Yes. Rutgers on offense wasn’t exactly loaded like the 2007 Patriots. Ironically the Patriots might have won the SuperBowl that season with a mobile dual threat QB who could roll out since the pocket was being collapsed on Brady all day and they only scored 14 points.

I want what you are smoking

we won because our oline was far better than anyone, including the coaches, envisioned. You couple that with Kongo playing on another level and Mickey Mouse could have been under center ad we'd of won 7 games. Gav did nothing anyone could say 'we won because of him' but we certainly lost because of him

I think if Miami held on to two of those dropped ints with one in all probability going 6 on our 20, people would think very differently (those people being his ardent supporters)

Because Miami is the optimal place to develop into the best football player you can be, and optimize your draft position. He’s hoping to get into the first round, and probably isn’t there, according to draft estimates. If he goes to Miami, and elevates that program, he has a better chance of getting into the first round.

Lastly, Waking up at 4 AM in Miami is a lot easier than waking up at 4 AM in Maryland.
Not sure playing in the ACC vs. the updated B1G will improve one’s stock.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Posters would rather believe conspiracy theories that Greg and Kirk just decided that Simon was the better QB but uh, **** it still play Gavin just because instead of realizing that Simon was just flat out beat by Gavin. Greg's and Kirk's main goal is to win, period. IF Simon was better than Gavin than he would have been QB1 plan and simple, but he wasn't. Some of y'all just can't handle the truth
Look who's back. Hey dickhead how did you like the 90% takeover at the Pinstripe Bowl by Rutgers fans? And you don't know jack about Rutgers Football.

That’s not a very helpful point IMO. You are looking at half the equation…discounting what a different QB would have achieved. How many more yards would KM have gotten if the D was respecting our passing? Nobody knows. But you definitely can’t just say that it’s undeniable that without player X we would not have achieved Y.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
IMO, we are done. I expect AK to be the starter next year.
I agree and honestly I expect Wimsatt to either change positions or enter the portal after spring practice. If AK doesn't win the job I expect him to transfer for the fall. Either way I think it highly doubtful that both will be in the QB room for fall.

That’s not a very helpful point IMO. You are looking at half the equation…discounting what a different QB would have achieved. How many more yards would KM have gotten if the D was respecting our passing? Nobody knows. But you definitely can’t just say that it’s undeniable that without player X we would not have achieved Y.
I’m not looking at half the equation. I’m looking at the factual evidence and not treating hypotheticals as facts.

There is no evidence that another QB would’ve resulted in more yards than GW this season. Only speculation by fans who lack most of the information required to even make an informed and educated guess. Conjecture rarely trumps fact; people just think it does.

And yes, I can say the point I made in my final sentence was undeniable. Go read the sentence again. Don’t apply “undeniable” to some other point such as the one you said I said but I didn’t, in fact, say. You’ll see. That last sentence is unarguably undeniably accurate. 😀

If I’m going to speculate, then I’d speculate that next season, IF the OL improves some, and IF the WRs and TEs improve a lot, then any of our QBs will probably have better seasons, numbers-wise, than GW had in 2023, with GW the most likely to improve in running yards by season’s end.

your bias is showing
bad route as he's 2 steps out instead of in and..........late delivery
Agree, and if the receiver doesn't have to slow down and jump in the air with arms extended upward to try to catch the ball, the defender may not have been able to arrive in time to make the hit and rip Dremel's extended right arm away just as the ball arrives. Seems like the pass could have been better placed and better timed to increase the chance of a completion.

Screen-Shot-2024-01-06-at-3-16-45-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2024-01-06-at-2-38-11-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2024-01-06-at-3-14-54-PM.png

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I’m not looking at half the equation. I’m looking at the factual evidence and not treating hypotheticals as facts.

There is no evidence that another QB would’ve resulted in more yards than GW this season. Only speculation by fans who lack most of the information required to even make an informed and educated guess. Conjecture rarely trumps fact; people just think it does.

And yes, I can say the point I made in my final sentence was undeniable. Go read the sentence again. Don’t apply “undeniable” to some other point such as the one you said I said but I didn’t, in fact, say. You’ll see. That last sentence is unarguably undeniably accurate. 😀

If I’m going to speculate, then I’d speculate that next season, IF the OL improves some, and IF the WRs and TEs improve a lot, then any of our QBs will probably have better seasons, numbers-wise, than GW had in 2023, with GW the most likely to improve in running yards by season’s end.
Apologies, I mistook you for someone with a basic grasp of logic.

Reactions: Kbee3
Apologies, I mistook you for someone with a basic grasp of logic.
No apology necessary. I mistook you as someone with an IQ over 75 with functional reading comprehension. 😉

Exchanging insults is my happy place. 😀

Your turn. Make it good.

Reactions: kbllmy21
I agree and honestly I expect Wimsatt to either change positions or enter the portal after spring practice. If AK doesn't win the job I expect him to transfer for the fall. Either way I think it highly doubtful that both will be in the QB room for fall.
he's gone for fall

No apology necessary. I mistook you as someone with an IQ over 75 with functional reading comprehension. 😉

Exchanging insults is my happy place. 😀

Your turn. Make it good.
holy fk have you pissed me off over the ages but I will never not say that you don't sling it with the best of them. you're funny and zing like a king!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Reactions: mildone
holy fk have you pissed me off over the ages but I will never not say that you don't sling it with the best of them. you're funny and zing like a king!!!!!!!!!!! lol
I enjoy all the back and forth WAY more than being ”right”. I’ll happily argue one side of an issue all morning in one place, and then shift to arguing the other side all afternoon in another place.

I’ve had my entire family ready to kill me when I do the side-switching thing mid-dinner time political argument, just for the sheer joy of it. 😀

I’m a total douchebag. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: RUTGERS95
I enjoy all the back and forth WAY more than being ”right”. I’ll happily argue one side of an issue all morning in one place, and then shift to arguing the other side all afternoon in another place.

I’ve had my entire family ready to kill me when I do the side-switching thing mid-dinner time political argument, just for the sheer joy of it. 😀

I’m a total douchebag. 😂
well I'll admit its fun to watch people get flustered and their panties bunch up but you (que Bill Murray in Stripes) When you stole that cow, and your friend tried to make it with the cow. I want to party with you, cowboy. If the two of us together, forget it.

Look who's back. Hey dickhead how did you like the 90% takeover at the Pinstripe Bowl by Rutgers fans? And you don't know jack about Rutgers Football.
Of course you think I'm that weirdo who keeps talking about ticket sales, new flash buddy, that idiot is not me

Of course you think I'm that weirdo who keeps talking about ticket sales, new flash buddy, that idiot is not me
News flash. You just signed up yesterday but talking crap about other posters like you have been on this board a thousand times with hundreds of screen names. That idiot is you.

News flash. You just signed up yesterday but talking crap about other posters like you have been on this board a thousand times with hundreds of screen names. That idiot is you.
LOL
Do you know what lurking is? If I was that troll, I would be stalking that other poster he always seems to stalk. Probably would have made a thread about something dumb like annicapted ticket sales for the spring game if I was actually him

LOL
Do you know what lurking is? If I was that troll, I would be stalking that other poster he always seems to stalk. Probably would have made a thread about something dumb like annicapted ticket sales for the spring game if I was actually him
Haha. You still made a stupid post! How long you been lurking? 10 years??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT