ADVERTISEMENT

Are we done at QB now?

Why not go straight to NFL?
And if stay in college, what's wrong with staying at Maryland?
I see he wants to be close to his brother, perhaps where he can get some brotherly love/support and coaching?
All good questions. Very surprised not declaring for the NFL yet.

Reactions: Knight Shift
People are comparing two QBs who were never recruited to be the same type of player.
A "Pro" is considered less mobile and more of a pocket passer with somewhat better reads and accuracy, while a dual work with feet more
Gavin has 11 TDs including bowl and Kaliak has 2
Do people want to lose 9 TDs for a few pubes up the accuracy index?
RUs whole WR corps had 7 TDs

Just having the ability to run keeps defenses more honest
Get RU an All-B1G WR like Minnesota's and that will be worth a few more pubes right there
Many people keep comparing apples-oranges QB wise, and assuming all WRs weaknesses are because of QB. A pro QB offense is really hard to run great with mediocre skill plays

udhF3cw.jpg
QB layups are meaningless. Any of 20 other guys on the roster could have scored on all but 1 of GWs rushing TDs. And he doesn’t run much at all. You’re not giving up anything replacing him with a passer. Nothing.

Those gimmies are just to pad his stats, tossing undeserved bones his way.

Last edited:
I'm saying that's what the NJ.com and TKR guys said. I haven't seen enough of Simon to have a first hand opinion. So absent that, I'll go with what the professional reporters said.
NJ.com Professionals???

GW definitely had his errant passes. But I also think a lot of his overthrows, along with some underthrows into the ground, were intentional but not super obvious as such. Somewhere during the early part of the season, I could swear I heard GS comment on how he would prefer GW to throw his throwaways farther away.

I think either GW or AK will have a higher completion percentage next season, mostly because I think all the components of the passing game are likely to improve some, including both QBs accuracy and decision making. But part of the reason I estimate it's 60/40 GW will start is that I think GS values GW's avoidance of turnovers. Only takes a couple more turnovers and we're not at 7 wins last season.

If AK tries to force passes into coverage, and it leads to INTs, that won't get him the starter job or allow him to keep it very long. GS wants more accuracy out of the QB position, but also wants a ton of patience and caution.

Maybe GS will trust his D even more and take more chances on O. But I'll have to see it to believe it.
I can tell when a QB is missing an open receiver vs throwing the ball away.

How about QB Tua from Maryland? After playing 6 years looking for a waiver to transfer and play.
No way he gets an extra year. He played 5 yrs.. His freshman year he played in 5 games. He's now looking to get a waiver and say Alabama didn't have his best interest at heart, as in one of the games he only played for two snaps. When asked did they force you to play? He said, no, it was his choice.

Last edited:
I think he's good, but inconsistent. I think AK is good, but inconsistent. I think Simon is good, but not as good as the other two and also inconsistent.

To me, the question isn't if they're good. It's if they're good enough to win under the actual circumstances in which they're going to have to play. Simon clearly wasn't. GW helped us to 7 wins.
I disagree. To be good, you have to be consistent.

At various points over this year the NJ.com and TKR guys all uniformly expressed the opinion that Simon was not remotely a P5 QB and dismissed him pretty roughly as a potential upgrade or successor.
NJ.com coverage of RU overall is good and positive most of the time. I don’t recall any of the NJ.com reporters saying Simon is not remotely a P5 QB. However, they did think that Wimsatt was the better QB and option for RU. I agreed with that opinion. We will see if GW can retain his starting position with Athan K. coming in to compete.

Exactly. That particular fan-favorite conspiracy theory is laughably ridiculous.

Nearly all such theories, rooted in the idea that the coaching staff isn't playing the QB that they think gives them the best chance to win, are laughably ridiculous.
I’ve seen this movie a thousand times , the back up is always better than the starter , he never got a chance in camp, the starter is the coaches favorite QB , its not fair, the coach didn’t pick the best QB , etc etc . It’s so laughable and ridiculous yet it happens year after year with some posters.

Reactions: mildone
he wasn't beat out, Gav was going to be #1 no matter what. You don't recruit that high and play over him. Greg need that type of recruit and gave him every opportunity.
Need an average of one per year imo to keep depth and conpetiveness. NOT reruitinig to placate the needs of incumbents is a recipe for destruction.
Agreed. Between Schiano’s 4 Star Choice (Wimsat), KC’s Choice (AK), and The Chosen One (AJ), most here thinks Shepard’s an afterthought, will be moved to TE, or is not good enough for Rutgers.
Wait, why would Rutgers even think of taking a QB and making him a TE???

Reactions: Morrischiano
QB layups are meaningless. Any of 20 other guys on the roster could have scored on all but 1 of GWs rushing TDs. And he doesn’t run much at all. You’re not giving up anything replacing him with a passer. Nothing.

Those gimmies are just to pad his stats, tossing undeserved bones his way.

Bama just lost because it couldn't get 2 yards on goal
Only muggles talk about "gimmies" on goal in B1G.
Michigan can do it with a whole OL on All-B1G list but RU has a well documented history of goal line fails.
RU had to settle for FGs 2x in a row vs Ohio because twice it couldn't score 7
This is the kind of high schoolish play RU ran at Ohio St defense

bijninF.gif

Last edited:
Funny some still think Simon is the better QB.

I remember Simon's 49 pass 300yd game vs Nebraska in 21.
Its the only time I saw an RU QB gun slinging.
Simon was slinging the ball all over the place.
Simon actually had good accuracy but the frantic pace led to unwise throws and INTs.
I was surprised at Greg's new approach.
Alas the OC was fired part way into the season.
Greg mentioned RU wasn't playing "complimentary football."
Greg wants a machine where nothing is out of whack.
In 2022 I saw the lowest QBRs on ESPN that I ever saw.
I mean some were under 5.0. Simon, Vedral, Wimsatt were redefining QB futility with 11 TDs and 14 INTs and 124th rank

No way he gets an extra year. He played 5 yrs.. His freshman year he played in 5 games. He's now looking to get a waiver and say Alabama didn't have his best interest at heart, as in two of the games he only played for two snaps. When asked did they force you to play? He said, no, it was his choice.
He has hired the famed Ben Mauk, the Cincinnati QB who petitioned for a 7th year of eligibility, sued and lost.

Posters would rather believe conspiracy theories that Greg and Kirk just decided that Simon was the better QB but uh, **** it still play Gavin just because instead of realizing that Simon was just flat out beat by Gavin. Greg's and Kirk's main goal is to win, period. IF Simon was better than Gavin than he would have been QB1 plan and simple, but he wasn't. Some of y'all just can't handle the truth

Posters would rather believe conspiracy theories that Greg and Kirk just decided that Simon was the better QB but uh, **** it still play Gavin just because instead of realizing that Simon was just flat out beat by Gavin. Greg's and Kirk's main goal is to win, period. IF Simon was better than Gavin than he would have been QB1 plan and simple, but he wasn't. Some of y'all just can't handle the truth
Ahhh, to be so naive …

Sure, he wanted to win. But he wanted to win with a specific philosophy which called for a running QB. He wanted to win with the guy due 6 figure NIL, etc. He wanted to win with Wimsatt, passing be damned.

Here‘s the dagger to your logic : how do you reconcile his wanting to win and not returning any punts all year? Answer: philosophy.

philosophy determined the QB, not ability.

• Haha
Reactions: Eagleton96
Ahhh, to be so naive …

Sure, he wanted to win. But he wanted to win with a specific philosophy which called for a running QB. He wanted to win with the guy due 6 figure NIL, etc. He wanted to win with Wimsatt, passing be damned.

Here‘s the dagger to your logic : how do you reconcile his wanting to win and not returning any punts all year? Answer: philosophy.

philosophy determined the QB, not ability.
Don't ever quote me again you Syracuse troll

Reactions: Knight Shift
We got one WR from the portal who will make the two deep. Hopefully Brantley will come back to play and Strong will be better. WR isn't the most glaring need. We need DTs and TEs badly. Please contribute what you can to NIL collectives, if you want our team to get more talent.
WR1 can make a bigger impact than any portal DT or TE we could land. Brantley’s status is unknown, as he still needs to be cleared by the NCAA. Looks like Miller will be WR1, which isn’t optimal, but this is where we are.

DT depth is reasonable, but we could use a depth piece. Hamilton, Konga, Rainey, and Angoy, all showed they can contribute at a high level.

Keshon Griffin played in three games and Henry Hughes hasn’t played but is an outstanding academic performer. Jasire Peterson should be able to contribute something, after redshirting this year. Hope they get an opportunity to contribute.

Why not go straight to NFL?
And if stay in college, what's wrong with staying at Maryland?
I see he wants to be close to his brother, perhaps where he can get some brotherly love/support and coaching?
Because Miami is the optimal place to develop into the best football player you can be, and optimize your draft position. He’s hoping to get into the first round, and probably isn’t there, according to draft estimates. If he goes to Miami, and elevates that program, he has a better chance of getting into the first round.

Lastly, Waking up at 4 AM in Miami is a lot easier than waking up at 4 AM in Maryland.

Coaches who played us last year expressed concern about GW running ball, but they had zero concern about the pass so it really didn’t make a difference. Forget our pass plays because they were ugly — go study our runs. Our OL and Kyle played very well. Gavin had some role because he the guy handing off but defenses rarely played QB run. They almost always went after the RB and we still beat it. Gavin is also not a fluid or dynamic runner. He’s fast when he opens up but he doesn’t have much miss in his game and he rarely broke tackles. Of his 11 TDs Kyle and Sam will easily scoop up most of them.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Coaches who played us last year expressed concern about GW running ball, but they had zero concern about the pass so it really didn’t make a difference. Forget our pass plays because they were ugly — go study our runs. Our OL and Kyle played very well. Gavin had some role because he the guy handing off but defenses rarely played QB run. They almost always went after the RB and we still beat it. Gavin is also not a fluid or dynamic runner. He’s fast when he opens up but he doesn’t have much miss in his game and he rarely broke tackles. Of his 11 TDs Kyle and Sam will easily scoop up most of them.
Didn’t we already go through this? Prior to the bowl game, half of rushing TDs were from 5+ yds out.

Just looked it up.

Out of the 9 rushing TDs in the regular season, 4 of them was from the 1 yd line. The other 5 were 80, 34, 7, 6, and 5.

After that game, you were hard pressed to find many other times that he ran the rpo; it was just straight keepers. Would love to see him run this more, but I just don’t think it’s part of his mindset.
we didn't run rpos as I"ve said since day one

Greg confirmed

all were predesigned.

Didn't GW have half the season rushing yards KM had (500 vs 1000)? If so, it seems people are being way too quick to dismiss the importance of GW's running game on our season results.

Didn't GW have half the season rushing yards KM had (500 vs 1000)? If so, it seems people are being way too quick to dismiss the importance of GW's running game on our season results.

I’m not dismissing the importance of the running game by our QB. But, other than 2-3 runs all year Gavin wasn’t a dynamic runner. He doesn’t have a lot of miss in his game and he’s not a physically tough QB who willingly takes on tacklers. So, in my view, those same 500 yards and 5-6 TDs for the QB inside the 7 yard line will still be there even if it’s not Gavin at QB next year.

could another qb like simon do that; yes and we know what from hs stats

Gav wasn't special, he just did

Bama just lost because it couldn't get 2 yards on goal
Only muggles talk about "gimmies" on goal in B1G.
Michigan can do it with a whole OL on All-B1G list but RU has a well documented history of goal line fails.
RU had to settle for FGs 2x in a row vs Ohio because twice it couldn't score 7
This is the kind of high schoolish play RU ran at Ohio St defense

bijninF.gif
Defender on the outside sealed the edge nicely. They had four hats against two blockers. Dremel did score on a similar play (different formation) against Mich St I believe.
Also, OSU had one of the top defenses not playing in the NFL.

I’m not dismissing the importance of the running game by our QB. But, other than 2-3 runs all year Gavin wasn’t a dynamic runner. He doesn’t have a lot of miss in his game and he’s not a physically tough QB who willingly takes on tacklers. So, in my view, those same 500 yards and 5-6 TDs for the QB inside the 7 yard line will still be there even if it’s not Gavin at QB next year.
Gavin is something of a disappointment running the ball...mostly just straight ahead speed and the threat of taking it to the house. But the threat of him doing so has to have a positive affect on our running game.

Gavin is something of a disappointment running the ball...mostly just straight ahead speed and the threat of taking it to the house. But the threat of him doing so has to have a positive affect on our running game.
only if we had a passing game. He didn't have a single spy or any d set geared for him all season. This is a huge 'nothing burger' by some fans

could another qb like simon do that; yes and we know what from hs stats

Gav wasn't special, he just did
None of our QBs, in 2023, was special, that's true. What we do know is GW was the best of what we had. Otherwise another QB would've been playing.

For 2024, AK may or may not be as good as GW; we won't actually know until we see who the staff chose to play. They may be close enough that we see them both play at times in different games, who knows.
Since all QBs improve year over year, and since we could theoretically get another QB in the portal, we can't know if any of the QBs on our roster will wind up being special or not.

But here's the thing, we don't need "special" for 2024 unless the team changes it's O approach to one that's pass heavy, which seems pretty unlikely. All we need to win is basically what GW gave us but even better and with more consistency in passing accuracy. Doesn't matter who gives us that as long as we get it.

If AK can run, then we maybe get that although the stats and the MN fan comments don't scream "special" or "better" or "more consistent" to me. Passing stats look close enough to in the margin of comparison error. Running stats favor GW. Fan comments look like a wash - neither fanbase loves either QB.

We do know that AK decided to jump ship for some reason and that GW decided to stay put and fight for his job here. FWTW.

So we wait and see. I'll leave the aggressive predictions to others and stick with thinking it's 60/40 that GW starts the first game due to his incumbency advantage until something happens to change my mind.
But we'll see, a lot can happen between now and then.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Well, were GW not to start next year his rushing ability from the 1 yard line would utterly missed. We’d certainly never score from there without him. That talent is worth the scholarship by itself.

Not only would a Simon-led offense have failed to ever score TDs from inside the 5, there would have been a pick six the other way if he played.

Oh, wait…

Our quarterback did not see that before he threw the ball to him ?
There is no second option there as it is a quick short pass. The alternative would be to hold the ball and take the sack. OSU’s defenders all being less than five yards from the ball would have been a slight problem in the case of a scramble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT