ADVERTISEMENT

Needs To Be An Open Competition for Starting QB Next Year

RAC93

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2023
Rutgers has made a ton of progress this year, no doubt. But there is also no doubt that the QB play has not been good enough this year. Wimsatt 10/25 129 yards and another pick six. There needs to be an open competition for QB next season. Wimsatt has not proven this year that he’s the clear answer at QB. Let’s have an open competition with Surace and a possible transfer and may the best man win.

Good luck with that. Schiano prefers a running QB to a passing QB. Wimsatt is better than Vedral and Langan and is a prototypical Schiano QB this time around

Reactions: NickKnight 1
I wouldn't put that pick 6 on him.
Awful decision to even make that throw. His decision making is not where it needs to be. The coaching staff has actually hidden his deficiencies this year and made him look better than what he is. He threw the ball thus I think he has some level of culpability….RU needs to upgrade at QB.

Last edited:
Good luck with that. Schiano prefers a running QB to a passing QB. Wimsatt is better than Vedral and Langan and is a prototypical Schiano QB this time around
Wimsatt doesn’t even have great instincts as a runner or running the RPO game. These coaches have worked with his limitations and made him look better than the reality of his abilities. Kudos to the coaching this year, Monangai, the O Line, and the defense, but RU is clearly deficient at QB and playmakers at WR and TE.

Wimsatt is a great competitor and terrible passer. It is what it is. He really needs to improve the passing game because let's be honest here -- it's the one glaring issue preventing us from being a great team instead of just a decently good team. It is a major issue when you call pass plays and your QB just... misses... the open receivers. Love the drive and his running ability, but let's look at this with clarity.

Wimsatt is a great competitor and terrible passer. It is what it is. He really needs to improve the passing game because let's be honest here -- it's the one glaring issue preventing us from being a great team instead of just a decently good team. It is a major issue when you call pass plays and your QB just... misses... the open receivers.

He is what he is at this point, not gonna change…..RU needs to be open to other possibilities at the QB position next season.

Wimsatt doesn’t even have great instincts as a runner or running the RPO game. These coaches have worked with his limitations and made him look better than the reality of his abilities. Kudos to the coaching this year, Monangai, the O Line, and the defense, but RU is clearly deficient at QB and playmakers at WR and TE.
That is one thing I noticed today too. His reads were off at several points throughout the game -- giving the ball to Monangai instead of taking it himself -- which caused our drives to stall out.

Rutgers has made a ton of progress this year, no doubt. But there is also no doubt that the QB play has not been good enough this year. Wimsatt 10/25 129 yards and another pick six. There needs to be an open competition for QB next season. Wimsatt has not proven this year that he’s the clear answer at QB. Let’s have an open competition with Surace and a possible transfer and may the best man win.
No way man. Stats don't count. See earlier threads.

That is one thing I noticed today too. His reads were off at several points throughout the game -- giving the ball to Monangai instead of taking it himself -- which caused our drives to stall out.

Agreed, not great with reads on when to keep and when to give to Monangai.

You seem like a poster whose been absent for nine years, heard RU was already bowl eligible at 6-2 and playing the #1 team in country on CBS.

Then ran to a fan board to post your non-contextual thoughts after the game.

GO RU

Just got this comment from a friend with no ties to Rutgers but me who watched national broadcast across the country and was generally impressed by us : “Quarterback is not great is the issue...”.

He’s not wrong. Gavin will have to improve quite a bit in offseason because better competition is going in next 2 years.

The comments in the Reddit gamethread are pretty clear... every neutral fan watching the game is questioning the quality of our QB play. But, we have Wimsatt and we can play to his strengths. I think what hurt us today was going AWAY from running the ball when we got inside the red zone. Monangai was slicing up the defense and then we call some passes? It made no sense.

QBs are like pitchers with their strengths.
Some throw fastballs, curves, sliders etc better than other pitchers
Coaches keep asking Wimsatt to throw his worst pitches for WRs that cant adjust to help him.

QBs are like pitchers with their strengths.
Some throw fastballs, curves, sliders etc better than other pitchers
Coaches keep asking Wimsatt to throw his worst pitches for WRs that cant adjust to help him.
That is fair. But, when we get behind and need to score fast and get long pass plays, having a QB who misses wide open receivers 5 yards away from him is... not good. So, we have to make sure we don't get in that situation. I think Iowa is a team that we face up well against in terms of running the ball which is clearly how we are going to win!

The comments in the Reddit gamethread are pretty clear... every neutral fan watching the game is questioning the quality of our QB play. But, we have Wimsatt and we can play to his strengths. I think what hurt us today was going AWAY from running the ball when we got inside the red zone. Monangai was slicing up the defense and then we call some passes? It made no sense.

Agreed, especially with the QB AND lack of playmakers at WR and TE is an issue. RU has made great progress this year, I am proud and applaud what they have done. I want to see more progress and instead of moral victories (ultimately losses), RU walks away with wins. The way do that is to make progress at QB. Either Wimsatt makes progress to be the starter next year or someone else steps up and becomes the starter (a transfer, Surace, hell…..let Ajani Sheppard compete next year). I don’t care who starts next year, as long as they start a QB that shows progress from this year. It can be Wimsatt, but I have serious doubts as to his abilities to accurately throw a football….that’s problematic for a QB.

Agreed, especially when the QB AND lack of playmakers at WR and TE is an issue. RU has made great progress this year, I am proud and applaud what they have done. I want to see more progress and instead of moral victories (ultimately losses), RU walks away with wins. The way do that is to make progress at QB. Either Wimsatt makes progress to be the starter next year or someone else steps up and becomes the starter (a transfer, Surace, hell…..let Ajani Sheppard compete next year). I don’t care who starts next year, as long as they start a QB that shows progress from this year. It can be Wimsatt, but I have serious doubts as to his abilities to accurately throw a football….that’s problematic for a QB.
Ideally it will be Wimsatt given his strengths. You would think focusing entirely on the passing game will pay dividends if that is his off-season focus.

Exactly one team has had a halftime lead against #1 OSU this year, RU today, and you guys are whinging about quarterback play.

captain-kirk.jpg

You seem like a poster whose been absent for nine years, heard RU was already bowl eligible at 6-2 and playing the #1 team in country on CBS.

Then ran to a fan board to post your non-contextual thoughts after the game.

GO RU

The post is specific to QB, in what context has Wimsatt looked like an above average Power 5 QB this year? The point of the post is to say that they need improved play at QB….period…..whether that comes from Wimsatt next year or a new QB does not matter. This year, Wimsatt is the best option. Seeking to get above average play at the QB position in the future must be aiming too high for some I guess.

They had one this year and GW won the job.

Correct, do another one next year. Hit the transfer portal, give Gavin, Surace, Sheppard and a transfer a shot at the job. Simply do an open competition again, this is not a controversial take. Let Gavin show he can win the job again, hopefully he is more accurate, if not, hopefully someone shows they are better and wins the job. That’s the point of competition. Just want improved play at QB next year to help them make an even bigger leap than this year.

Terrible post after the best game we've played in maybe 9 years, plus it implies that we didn't have an open competition this year, which is ludicrous. Also, I have full confidence that if someone does better than GW in camp, that person will play - why wouldn't a coach want to play the players giving us the best chance of winning? Wimsatt absolutely needs to improve his accuracy, but he also makes some great throws and has become quite a weapon as a runner.

Terrible post after the best game we've played in maybe 9 years, plus it implies that we didn't have an open competition this year, which is ludicrous. Also, I have full confidence that if someone does better than GW in camp, that person will play - why wouldn't a coach want to play the players giving us the best chance of winning? Wimsatt absolutely needs to improve his accuracy, but he also makes some great throws and has become quite a weapon as a runner.

The post is not about the team. There was an open competition and Gavin won the job. No implications he didn’t win it. The Defense, O Line play, Coaching, and Monangai have been elite. QB needs an upgrade, if that comes from Wimsatt improving in next year’s competition, then that’s great. If it comes from a new QB then that’s great too….either way, to take another step next year RU needs to improve in the passing game and at QB.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
If surace comes in next year and is a better quarterback than wimsatt, or ajani Sheppard develops into a better QB than wimsatt or Evan Simon improves they will start...you are not saying anything the coaches don't already know.. you're frustrated about the game and want to get some steam off online..it's cool but yes if aj surace gives the team a better chance to win then he will start. I saw his game against Wayne hills, he looked great. Not sure he will give the team a better chance to win than a jr QB with a year and a half of big ten experience...but time will tell..

There’s a lot of talk about Surace and him coming in to compete as a true frosh. You may want to temper that enthusiasm. One he’ll be a true freshman and needs to get his weight/strength up. Second, no way he’s beating out Wimsatt as a 4th year player in the program. Thirdly, kid has a lot of ability and a coach’s son with really good running ability but the competition his high school plays is not exactly top notch. There will be a big adjustment to the BIG level of play.

Let him develop two years in the program before he unseats a qb that leads a RU offense in position to get 7-9 wins and a bowl appearance.

GO RU

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I said this in one of the other threads, but Gavin starting at Qb is a big part of why monangai is about to break 1000 yards this year.. That delayed hand off caused the defense to respect Gavin's running ability as well..in the future we could see him keep it more or even pass out of that option when he gets really comfortable. I'd like to see those things now but the coaches are developing a QB...I've seen enough to understand what they are trying to develop him to be. Will take some patience but the result of these growing pains could be exciting to watch in the future...time will tell

I think you are right on the money. Also good
passing Quarterbacks won't be interested in Greggie when there are many better options
out there. There is a reason why we have a running QB.

There’s a lot of talk about Surace and him coming in to compete as a true frosh. You may want to temper that enthusiasm. One he’ll be a true freshman and needs to get his weight/strength up. Second, no way he’s beating out Wimsatt as a 4th year player in the program. Thirdly, kid has a lot of ability and a coach’s son with really good running ability but the competition his high school plays is not exactly top notch. There will be a big adjustment to the BIG level of play.

Let him develop two years in the program before he unseats a qb that leads a RU offense in position to get 7-9 wins and a bowl appearance.

GO RU
Reasonable expectations are that Surace will hold a clipboard next year, and compete for the job in ‘25. That said, I expect Wimsatt to be our QB the next two years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT