ADVERTISEMENT

VTech looks at us

Definitely a tough test especially being on the road. They did improve last year, but as noted above they didn't face the gauntlet of OSU, Iowa, State Penn and Maryland to end the season.

We will have a bye, while they'll be playing their 4th straight game. Their preceding games are: @Vanderbilt, Marshall & @Old Dominion. So we'll have 3 sets of game tape from them against real opponents, while they'll only have tape of us against Howard and Akron.

Yup, people tend to avoid a pariah.
Would not consider either Old Dominion or Marshall to be easy games for them. They lost to Marshal last year, but easily beat Old Dominion. Those Sun Belt teams can be difficult. Vanderbilt may be the easiest team on their early schedule.

Would not consider either Old Dominion or Marshall to be easy games for them. They lost to Marshal last year, but easily beat Old Dominion. Those Sun Belt teams can be difficult. Vanderbilt may be the easiest team on their early schedule.

That's why I said we'd have 3 meaningful sets of game tape, no way they're not gonna take any of these three teams for granted. We, on the other hand, are playing 2 cupcakes so we'll have vanilla offensive and defensive sets that will tell them very little.

That's why I said we'd have 3 meaningful sets of game tape, no way they're not gonna take any of these three teams for granted. We, on the other hand, are playing 2 cupcakes so we'll have vanilla offensive and defensive sets that will tell them very little.
Don't forget that Akron is coached by Head Coach Joe Moorhead, who had a formidable record at Fordham, and was unceremoniously fired after two years at Mississippi State.

At Akron, he is 2-10 in each of his first two years. Good thing their team is the Zips!
Goodness, they have won all of 9 games going back to 2019 (5 seasons). In 2018 they fired Terry Bowden after 7 seasons and going 4-8 in 2018. Terry Bowden had a great start to his career, but after he got fired at Auburn (with a W-L-T record of 47-17-1//30-14-1 !!!!), he did great at North Alabama, but has sucked ever since. Success in one stop does not necessarily translate at later stops!!

Moorhead better step it up. Note- they did take Indiana to OT last year, but lost.

I’m seeing them in Nashville vs. Vandy on LDW

My semi delusional buddy is convinced they will be returning to prominence shortly, bring 30,000 fans to Nashville and spank the Dores

Is this our toughest OOC opponent in years???? It should be. If we want to see the program move up into top 25 caliber that we all think it should be we need games like this.
Win or lose this game will be a good barometer but it's not a make or break game for the season.
If Powell is playing at 100% the D wins this for us . If he is out our D will still has a shot to win it for us but much tougher.

I like this game

I wanna play the best competition, and this is a great barometer for where our program stands five years into Gregg’s return

As a Rutgers fan I certainly don’t expect the win, but I would gladly be wrong if we put a hurting on these guys that we have a potential to

247 has them preseason Top 25.

That's absolutely ridiculous. As pointed out above they beat no one of consequence last year. They had the same record as us but against an inferior schedule. This year they play:

Rutgers
Miami
Clemson
BC
Duke

All potential/likely losses. The rest are cream puffs. VT won't be top 25 at the end of the year.

Vetch fans travel well - pretty large group at last years game and for women’s hoops, excluding the Iowa/Clark game was the largest crowd in years, VT fans probably outnumbered RU fans

That's absolutely ridiculous. As pointed out above they beat no one of consequence last year. They had the same record as us but against an inferior schedule.

Yeah, look at the rogue's gallery they beat during the regular season:

Old Dominion (6-6)
Pitt (3-9)
Wake Forest (4-8)
Syracuse (6-6)
BC (6-6)
Virginia (3-9)

and if their final 4 games were OSU @Iowa @PSU Maryland - they don't make a bowl
If RU Played V Tech's schedule

Old Dominion- Win
Purdue- Win
Rutgers- Toss UP
Marshall- Win
Pitt- Win
FSU- toss up
Wake Forest- Win
Syracuse-Win
Louisville--Toss Up
BC- Win
NC State- Win
Virginia- Win

9 win season with 3 toss ups, 10 if we beat ourselves. 🤣

If RU Played V Tech's schedule

Old Dominion- Win
Purdue- Win
Rutgers- Toss UP
Marshall- Win
Pitt- Win
FSU- toss up
Wake Forest- Win
Syracuse-Win
Louisville--Toss Up
BC- Win
NC State- Win
Virginia- Win

9 win season with 3 toss ups, 10 if we beat ourselves. 🤣
According to some, with Greg as coach, we always beat ourselves. Lol

That's absolutely ridiculous. As pointed out above they beat no one of consequence last year. They had the same record as us but against an inferior schedule. This year they play:

Rutgers
Miami
Clemson
BC
Duke

All potential/likely losses. The rest are cream puffs. VT won't be top 25 at the end of the year.
No way they lose to BC. Last year VT won 48-22 at BC.

You guys are making me feel more confident about this game, but we were still in a tight game with them before that brilliant call on fourth and short when Kyle broke free. It will be tough but can be done.

You guys are making me feel more confident about this game, but we were still in a tight game with them before that brilliant call on fourth and short when Kyle broke free. It will be tough but can be done.
Without looking it up, id venture to guess our Recruiting is essentially the same as theirs past few years

I know they suffered under Fuentes, and we’ve been ascended steadily under Gregg

So Besides them having Homefield advantage, it’s going to come down to player development and ultimately, execution

Reactions: RUPete
Remember Rutgers was Drones first start. From that point on he completed 59% with 2000+ yards, and 17TD with only 3 Int.

In addition they return their biggest offensive weapons rushing and receiving. As I said earlier, they return the most starters in the BCS.

Add to that it's at their place. Rutgers will need to bring their A+ game. As been pointed out RU does have the advantage of a bye week.

Remember Rutgers was Drones first start. From that point on he completed 59% with 2000+ yards, and 17TD with only 3 Int.

In addition they return their biggest offensive weapons rushing and receiving. As I said earlier, they return the most starters in the BCS.

Add to that it's at their place. Rutgers will need to bring their A+ game. As been pointed out RU does have the advantage of a bye week.
Should I throw this out there? What the hell - is this similar to the UNC game in 2006 as a season barometer?

I like this game

I wanna play the best competition, and this is a great barometer for where our program stands five years into Gregg’s return

As a Rutgers fan I certainly don’t expect the win, but I would gladly be wrong if we put a hurting on these guys that we have a potential to
Win this game, and the potential for a truly memorable season; lose it and still could be epect, but really need this game

In 2006 UNC finished 3-9. They beat Furman by 3 pts, 3-9 NC St, and 0-12 Duke by 1 point. The RU game was their closest loss.
Yes. We went one way, they went the other. It was seen as a make or break year for Bunting heading in.

Reactions: knightfan7
Yes. We went one way, they went the other. It was seen as a make or break year for Bunting heading in.
RU's offense was nowhere near where it would be later on. The defense saved the day. Guessing if the game had been midseason it wouldn't have been close.

My way too early thought is Va Tech at Va Tech will be the Knights 2nd or 3rd toughest game after USC and maybe Nebraska.

Mike Mahoney has a bus trip for the game if anyone is interested. He leaves out of North Brunswick.

With Rutgers day coming up probably a good time to let people know still very good interest in the Virginia Tech game if it's a 12 or 1:00 game thinking it's going to be we will leave Friday 8:30 am and come back after the game if it's a 3pm or a later game then it will be Saturday Sunday trip usually they announce the times around Memorial Day and will need deposits by the bill of June
“Mike Mahoney”

FYI RU vs VIRGINIA TECH Saturday and Sunday September 21st and 22nd we currently have 12 people interested. Approximately $320 person. Bus hotel and ticket included. Thinking it's going to be a noon game which means we would have to leave 2:00 a.m. from North Brunswick to get there at 10:00 a.m. stay the Holiday Inn in Roanoke VA. Be home Sunday approximately 4:00 p.m. they usually give game times around Memorial Day if it's a 3:00 game we can leave at 5:00 a.m. since it's a holiday weekend I figure I put that out there so you can talk to family and friends.Will offer the trip by June 1st the payment in full by August 1st Happy Easter!! Anyone interested at all let me know I will put you on the list. We need 30 people to make the trip happen

FYI RU vs VIRGINIA TECH Saturday and Sunday September 21st and 22nd we currently have 12 people interested. Approximately $320 person. Bus hotel and ticket included. Thinking it's going to be a noon game which means we would have to leave 2:00 a.m. from North Brunswick to get there at 10:00 a.m. stay the Holiday Inn in Roanoke VA. Be home Sunday approximately 4:00 p.m. they usually give game times around Memorial Day if it's a 3:00 game we can leave at 5:00 a.m. since it's a holiday weekend I figure I put that out there so you can talk to family and friends.Will offer the trip by June 1st the payment in full by August 1st Happy Easter!! Anyone interested at all let me know I will put you on the list. We need 30 people to make the trip happen
Well worth it for anybody who was on the bubble about making the trip

One of the cooler venues & atmospheres in all of college football

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Highly recommend going to the game if anyone’s on the fence

Blacksburg is a great college town and the athmosphere at Lane is top notch, especially if it’s a night game

The Enter Sandman is top notch - one of the best in the game

Town has a few good breweries, solid food options and some great bars - tailgating is also very good
Agree on all points. Been there before. Top notch experience

This is hysterical!
Virginia Tech football 2024 opponent suffers massive loss to the transfer portal🤣🤣
How stupid are these guys?? Don't they know GW wasn't going to be the starter?

if we play in one of the 2 best Football conferences on the Planet.
are considered a mid level team for the B1G in 2024.
How in the World does a mediocre team from a lesser Conference become a tough game with the schedule we have in the B1G. If we wanna be somebody we have no business losing to a mediocre ACC team!

if we play in one of the 2 best Football conferences on the Planet.
are considered a mid level team for the B1G in 2024.
How in the World does a mediocre team from a lesser Conference become a tough game with the schedule we have in the B1G. If we wanna be somebody we have no business losing to a mediocre ACC team!
The lesser old Big East Conference beat teams from a better conference on a regular basis! Even the mediocre ones.

Virginia Tech has a lot coming back, and they are at home.
I still think we win, but should be a very good game!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT