ADVERTISEMENT

VTech looks at us

The lesser old Big East Conference beat teams from a better conference on a regular basis! Even the mediocre ones.

Virginia Tech has a lot coming back, and they are at home.
I still think we win, but should be a very good game!
If we want to be more than mediocre we have to beat lesser teams from lesser conferences!
We are B1G so we better play like one.

Reactions: RUPete and RUB1GTEN
If we want to be more than mediocre we have to beat lesser teams from lesser conferences!
So far Schiano is undefeated in the revenge tour ( over OBE teams). So I guess we are BIG.

Again there are a lot of BIG teams that lose to lesser conference “mediocre” teams.
It’s college football, anyone can beat anyone.
Like maybe App State over Michigan!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatt718

2-3-4-5 years ago, we wouldn't have beaten them. In fact, from 2017-2019, they would have cleaned our clock. Ya gotta crawl before you walk, and walk before you run. We're in the walking stage right now, we'll be entering the running stage soon.

So far Schiano is undefeated in the revenge tour ( over OBE teams). So I guess we are BIG.

Again there are a lot of BIG teams that lose to lesser conference “mediocre” teams.
It’s college football, anyone can beat anyone.
Like maybe App State over Michigan!
I do not disagree with you. Michigan is Michigan, who are we?
If we want to be a mediocre B1G team or greater we cant lose to lesser Conference mediocre teams.
What sport is it that anyone cant beat anyone???
So if we have a schedule that gives us a chance to win more games than we have ever won since joining the B1G, we cant lose to VTech.

Reactions: RUB1GTEN
I'm sorry but if a team is in a P4 conference- stop referring them all as lessor. A lessor conference would be the AAC not the ACC.
Many in your Lessor conferences have been recruiting better than Rutgers for years and just a couple of years ago, would have been kicking our asses.
It just sounds more like we just always want to bash on our own team for winning a good game.

We beat VaTech last year and it ends up being a very good win, if we beat them again this year, it is again a very good OOC win. If they beat us and it was a nose to nose type game, it should be considered a tough loss.

I'm sorry but if a team is in a P4 conference- stop referring them all as lessor. A lessor conference would be the AAC not the ACC.
Many in your Lessor conferences have been recruiting better than Rutgers for years and just a couple of years ago, would have been kicking our asses.
It just sounds more like we just always want to bash on our own team for winning a good game.

We beat VaTech last year and it ends up being a very good win, if we beat them again this year, it is again a very good OOC win. If they beat us and it was a nose to nose type game, it should be considered a tough loss.

There is no P4. The SEC and the B1G have clearly separated themselves into a P2. The rest of your post I agree with entirely. This would be a very good win.

Reactions: Bagarocks
In no way is the ACC equal to the SEC or B1G. If it were, why would Florida state be trying so desperately to leave?
Get used to it we are in one of TOP 2 College Football Conferences in the World.
So again if we are considered a mediocre B1G team then we should be beating a mediocre team from a lessor Conference, What's so hard about wrapping yer head around that?
I'am not predicting we beat VTech. But if we want a winning season...
3 & 0 to start the season is the only way to get there.
This is the best schedule we have had since joining the B1G!
Here's hoping we make the most of it.

There is no P4. The SEC and the B1G have clearly separated themselves into a P2. The rest of your post I agree with entirely. This would be a very good win.
As long as the P-4 classification is recognized, the Big 12 and ACC will be considered equals.
Even if in reality the B1G and SEC are more equal than the others.
Inside the SEC and B1G you'll find programs like Bama,Georgia,Ohio State and Michigan more equal than some of their conference members.
So when it comes to P-4 programs being considered more worthy than those considered g-5, where does the nit picking start and end.
VT like FSU, Clemson , Indiana should be considered a P-4 program and a worthy program to be placed on Rutgers schedule , in my opinion

Reactions: BLewis1968
As long as the P-4 classification is recognized, the Big 12 and ACC will be considered equals.
Even if in reality the B1G and SEC are more equal than the others.
Inside the SEC and B1G you'll find programs like Bama,Georgia,Ohio State and Michigan more equal than some of their conference members.
So when it comes to P-4 programs being considered more worthy than those considered g-5, where does the nit picking start and end.
VT like FSU, Clemson , Indiana should be considered a P-4 program and a worthy program to be placed on Rutgers schedule , in my opinion

If you look at the recent expanded Football Playoff payouts you will see that there is in fact, a P2.

That is not intended to discount your point about Va Tech being a quality opponent

10 point favorite?!? Maybe 3.
Depends.
If VT steamrolls their 1st 3 opponents: Vanderbilt, Marshall, Old Dominion and we do the same with Howard and Akron they certainly could be 10 point favorites. They will be ranked in the Top 25 and I can’t remember the last time we beat a ranked team ? 15 years ago vs. 2009 vs. USF ? And that was at home. Longest drought in Division 1 CFB.

if we play in one of the 2 best Football conferences on the Planet.
are considered a mid level team for the B1G in 2024.
How in the World does a mediocre team from a lesser Conference become a tough game with the schedule we have in the B1G. If we wanna be somebody we have no business losing to a mediocre ACC team!
One thing is wrong about your premise - VA Tech is not considered mediocre in the ACC this coming year. Most college football outlets / writers have them pre-season top 25.

Now, it is absolutely ludicrous that they are pre-season top 25. They beat bad teams at the end of the year, and a Tulane team that was missing it's starting QB, but it shows you that they have a ton of players coming back and their offense progressed nicely against lesser competition.

I think if you dropped VA Tech in the B1G or the SEC they are instantly mediocre. But they will not be physically punished and beat up by greater talent in the ACC, they'll win a lot of games next year.

Depends.
If VT steamrolls their 1st 3 opponents: Vanderbilt, Marshall, Old Dominion and we do the same with Howard and Akron they certainly could be 10 point favorites. They will be ranked in the Top 25 and I can’t remember the last time we beat a ranked team ? 15 years ago vs. 2009 vs. USF ? And that was at home. Longest drought in Division 1 CFB.

It’s more relevant that we beat them last year on the field as opposed to a potential preseason ranking on paper.

Reactions: Bagarocks
Most college football outlets / writers have them pre-season top 25.

Now, it is absolutely ludicrous that they are pre-season top 25.
You use "Pre season poll" to negate my point, really? While in the next sentence you state "Ludicrous top 25"?
We all know Pre season Polls are a joke but it looks good on the TV screen in the beginning weeks.
PAC 12 is no more. ACC will be like the PAC 12 soon enough, the writing is on the wall.
If we lose to them than your premise of them not being mediocre and RU is mediocre will prove out that the lessor Conference upper teams are better than B1G mediocre teams. Which can only help ACC perception.
However if the upper echelon ACC loses to a mediocre B1G team it only strengthens my arguments.

The 2014 National Champ OSU with Urban Meyer, Joey Bosa, and Zeke Elliott went to Blacksburg and lost by two tds to what ended up being a 7-6 V-tech team. Not the easiest place to play by any stretch.
All these cats are nuts. This is not the game we want this year. We need to be more like mickey here. Better to play lower d1 and take the win

You use "Pre season poll" to negate my point, really? While in the next sentence you state "Ludicrous top 25"?
We all know Pre season Polls are a joke but it looks good on the TV screen in the beginning weeks.
PAC 12 is no more. ACC will be like the PAC 12 soon enough, the writing is on the wall.
If we lose to them than your premise of them not being mediocre and RU is mediocre will prove out that the lessor Conference upper teams are better than B1G mediocre teams. Which can only help ACC perception.
However if the upper echelon ACC loses to a mediocre B1G team it only strengthens my arguments.
The upper half of the ACC is mediocre in the B1G. No ACC team would do well against a B1G schedule except maybe a Florida State could finish 9-3 like a Penn State. It’s the week in week out physical punishment and size disadvantage the ACC teams don’t endure, only Clemson and FSU have size.

Here’s the thing, ACC teams don’t play B1G schedules. Therefore no matter how mediocre VA Tech may actually be, their record will be decent and they’ll be treated well in the media. If we were to lose to them, it will definitely not look as bad as losing to a UVA or a Wake Forest, teams that are bad by ACC standards.

I know what you want, you’re making the case we should roll in there and physically dominate them the way an upper echelon B1G team would. I’m just not sure if we’re all the way there yet. You know 9 times out of 10 a Wisconsin, Iowa or even a Nebraska would likely just physically push around VA Tech on size alone. I don’t know if we have that size yet, our best players aren’t necessarily on the OL or DL. Trust me, I want us to beat them twice very badly, I grew up in VA Tech country in SW Virginia. Lane Stadium is a tough place to play though and we just don’t know what we really have in a QB. If we had their QB I would have zero doubt we win. We have our offense though, which is just a question mark unless we run wild on them like last year. I suspect they game plan as best they can to stop us from doing that.

To all the people talking about how we're so past Virginia Tech and that this should be a gimme game and that it's beneath us to be playing them and that they're just a mediocre team in a lesser conference I'd just like to state this:

We're 4-12 all time against Virginia Tech. We were 1-11 against them in the Big East.

Since 1992 we are 2-12 against them. Here's the tale of the tape:

BIG EAST
10/31/1992 Virginia Tech W 50-49
10/23/1993 at Virginia Tech L 42-49
11/12/1994 at #16/12 Va. Tech L 34-41
10/21/1995 Virginia Tech L 17-45
09/21/1996 at #18/16 Va. Tech L 14-30
08/30/1997 Virginia Tech L 19-59
11/21/1998 at #23/20 Va. Tech L 7-47
10/09/1999 #5/5 Virginia Tech L 20-58
09/16/2000 at #8/8 Va. Tech L 0-49
09/22/2001 #9/9 Virginia Tech L 0-50
10/19/2002 at #3/3 Va. Tech L 14-35
10/04/2003 #4/4 Virginia Tech L 28-48

Russell Athletic Bowl
12/28/2012, Orlando Florida, L 13-10

BIG 10
09/16/2023 Virginia Tech W 35-16

The upper half of the ACC is mediocre in the B1G. No ACC team would do well against a B1G schedule except maybe a Florida State could finish 9-3 like a Penn State. It’s the week in week out physical punishment and size disadvantage the ACC teams don’t endure, only Clemson and FSU have size.

Here’s the thing, ACC teams don’t play B1G schedules. Therefore no matter how mediocre VA Tech may actually be, their record will be decent and they’ll be treated well in the media. If we were to lose to them, it will definitely not look as bad as losing to a UVA or a Wake Forest, teams that are bad by ACC standards.

I know what you want, you’re making the case we should roll in there and physically dominate them the way an upper echelon B1G team would. I’m just not sure if we’re all the way there yet. You know 9 times out of 10 a Wisconsin, Iowa or even a Nebraska would likely just physically push around VA Tech on size alone. I don’t know if we have that size yet, our best players aren’t necessarily on the OL or DL. Trust me, I want us to beat them twice very badly, I grew up in VA Tech country in SW Virginia. Lane Stadium is a tough place to play though and we just don’t know what we really have in a QB. If we had their QB I would have zero doubt we win. We have our offense though, which is just a question mark unless we run wild on them like last year. I suspect they game plan as best they can to stop us from doing that.
great post!

In ten years we have yet to win four B10 games in a season so we can't be considered a mediocre B10 team yet, hopefully this is the year to win more than lose. For VT, like a lot of times, it comes down to qb play. If the completion rate is 50% I think we lose, 60% lean RU, 70% we win, slide the percentage needed up for each interception.

In ten years we have yet to win four B10 games in a season so we can't be considered a mediocre B10 team yet, hopefully this is the year to win more than lose. For VT, like a lot of times, it comes down to qb play. If the completion rate is 50% I think we lose, 60% lean RU, 70% we win, slide the percentage needed up for each interception.
70% aint happening.

Other than 12-1 FSU, no team completed 70% vs VT last year, Purdue came the close in Game 2 with 68% yet VT lost 6 games.

I know what you want, you’re making the case we should roll in there and physically dominate them the way an upper echelon B1G team would.
No I dont think we should roll in and dominate like an upper echelon team, not at all. In order for our perception as a B1G team to develop we have to win games like this one.
Ohio St. can bounce back with a loss like they had to VT we are not in the same atmosphere as OST.
The Pinstripe bowl, the announcers were calling our team a B1G team, for the reasons you state about physicality and line play.
And as Spanky so eloquently showed how dominant we are at LOSING to VT. Anyone that thinks it will be an easy game...
Every game will be a battle for RU.
We are not a dominant B1G team. We could have a very good defense however our offense is a work in progress.
I hope we beat VT it will look good on our resume. Which will be good for the B1G.
A win here could possibly get us closer to a 9th,8th or 7th ranking in the new B1G instead of 12th 11th or 10th.

To all the people talking about how we're so past Virginia Tech and that this should be a gimme game and that it's beneath us to be playing them and that they're just a mediocre team in a lesser conference I'd just like to state this:

We're 4-12 all time against Virginia Tech. We were 1-11 against them in the Big East.

BIG EAST

Russell Athletic Bowl

BIG 10
I agree with you. The only difference is Frank Beamer. They had their Frank Beamer and are looking for their next Frank Beamer.
Greg Schiano is our Frank Beamer.
RU in a slugfest 13-9.

BIG EAST

Russell Athletic Bowl

BIG 10
I don't want to play them cause I think we should follow the 'mickey approach' from Rocky. No need for any up and coming Tysons or clubber langs. we should beat some lower level d1, work the kinks out and with our BIG schedule, no need for this. I'd reschedule this game right now

I don't want to play them cause I think we should follow the 'mickey approach' from Rocky. No need for any up and coming Tysons or clubber langs. we should beat some lower level d1, work the kinks out and with our BIG schedule, no need for this. I'd reschedule this game right now
we disagree often but not on this one...For the life of me, I don't understand our fans that want to have a Bama or some team like that on our OOC. Even with G5 teams- no need to even play their top teams. And for the 3rd OOC- Wagner Howard etc...this should always be a game we can figure on a 40-60 win game.

We NEED all 3 OOC to be wins at this point. A close loss to a tough P4 team is so much worse than crushing 3 cupcakes. An B1G East Conference schedule- even in the new format, will always have us qualified for a playoff position if we run the table or even have 1 loss but with the B1G CG.

we disagree often but not on this one...For the life of me, I don't understand our fans that want to have a Bama or some team like that on our OOC. Even with G5 teams- no need to even play their top teams. And for the 3rd OOC- Wagner Howard etc...this should always be a game we can figure on a 40-60 win game.

We NEED all 3 OOC to be wins at this point. A close loss to a tough P4 team is so much worse than crushing 3 cupcakes. An B1G East Conference schedule- even in the new format, will always have us qualified for a playoff position if we run the table or even have 1 loss but with the B1G CG.
100%

makes zero sense and further highlights how little thinking or understanding our fanbase has on current state of program and place in pecking order. need a top down approach, this IS NOT it

Reactions: RUB1GTEN
100%

makes zero sense and further highlights how little thinking or understanding our fanbase has on current state of program and place in pecking order. need a top down approach, this IS NOT it
Just have to look at Mich OOC last year and the normal OOC for the top SEC teams. Heck- teams like Bama don't even like to play a bad team north of the MD line.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
As a Maryland fan, this is is exactly what I've seen in the transition from ACC to B1G East division. I've tried to tell my ACC pals what it's like; even mediocre B1G teams just keep coming at you with waves and waves of quality players with size and speed. Except for the elite teams in the ACC (one or maybe two each season), it's a good 1-deep for their teams and kind of sketchy after that, even for the teams that have good W-L records.

Just my opinion based on what I have seen; my ACC friends of course take issue with this...

As a Maryland fan, this is is exactly what I've seen in the transition from ACC to B1G East division. I've tried to tell my ACC pals what it's like; even mediocre B1G teams just keep coming at you with waves and waves of quality players with size and speed. Except for the elite teams in the ACC (one or maybe two each season), it's a good 1-deep for their teams and kind of sketchy after that, even for the teams that have good W-L records.

Just my opinion based on what I have seen; my ACC friends of course take issue with this...
exactly why FSU etc will struggle despite what their fanbase thinks. BIG is just different during the season.

Yep. And the new additions from the PAC-12 are going to find that out this coming season.
I’m curious on this. They come from a big offense light defense conference. Running a B1G gauntlet- would love to see if just really takes a toll on them.
Or- do they school the B1G

Reactions: TRU2RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT