ADVERTISEMENT

Was Watching the BTN "Signing Day Special"

BeantownKnight

All Conference
Feb 14, 2008
God, that Cignetti-guy seems like a real jerk. Clearly, someone who's never had to learn how to speak with media, or use it to his own advantage. Although, refreshingly, he also seems to have no filter. He said what was needed for his program, why he sought out some players, and capped it off with this nugget, "The team you see on the field in the Spring will look dramatically different than the one you (saw this past season). There will be full roster turnover." He said that he was going after guys in the portal, didn't see the NLI Signing Day as important - because you have to win now - and that development will come later.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Lanning from Oregon was charming, affable, and clearly relished the #4 recruiting class (they got 2 flips on Signing Day from OSU and USC). He made his mark as being an ace recruiter. Beating them next year will not be easy.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
God, that Cignetti-guy seems like a real jerk. Clearly, someone who's never had to learn how to speak with media, or use it to his own advantage. Although, refreshingly, he also seems to have no filter. He said what was needed for his program, why he sought out some players, and capped it off with this nugget, "The team you see on the field in the Spring will look dramatically different than the one you (saw this past season). There will be full roster turnover." He said that he was going after guys in the portal, didn't see the NLI Signing Day as important - because you have to win now - and that development will come later.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Lanning from Oregon was charming, affable, and clearly relished the #4 recruiting class (they got 2 flips on Signing Day from OSU and USC). He made his mark as being an ace recruiter. Beating them next year will not be easy.
"full roster turnover"....@ INDIANA?? Yeah...not happening....good luck!

Reactions: BeantownKnight
"full roster turnover"....@ INDIANA?? Yeah...not happening....good luck!
Indiana should just play basketball clips from the Bobby Knight years during all stoppages of play at all their major sporting events including football. It can’t help that a traditional football power (Notre Dame) is in Indiana. I bet a lot of casual fan Hoosier-state residents root for ND.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS

Basically he said the same thing that sanders said last year at Colorado. But no one cares as much

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Indiana should just play basketball clips from the Bobby Knight years during all stoppages of play at all their major sporting events including football. It can’t help that a traditional football power (Notre Dame) is in Indiana. I bet a lot of casual fan Hoosier-state residents root for ND.
Maybe the red/white clown pants can help them

Cignetti seems like a brash guy but nothing wrong with that. He's just got to back it up, which he has for most of his career. We'll see if he can improve IU.

I posted this in the carousel thread when he was hired.

“I’m super fired up about this opportunity. I’ve never taken a back seat to anybody and don’t plan on starting now!” Cignetti exclaimed to the raucous home crowd. “Purdue sucks! But so does Michigan and Ohio State! Go IU!”

You can definitely remake a roster with the portal if you want but how much success you have is unknown.

I've mentioned this a few times here. GJ Kinne at Texas state was only 2nd to Deion/Colorado in changing their roster and they've made a bowl (7-5) in year 1 and Texas State's first ever.

I don't know how aggressive Cignetti will be in that regard. Read a little about what he's doing. They got a qb from Ohio, the MAC player of the year last year and some other WRs. Also kept a top WR on their own roster who was in the portal and supposedly had interest from Michigan and FSU.

From the article:

But Cignetti knows what it takes, and he makes that clear to everyone he recruits.

“It’s pretty simple. I win,” Cignetti said during Wednesday’s media availability on Zoom. “Google me.”

So Cignetti got to work, and it yielded results. IU added Ohio transfer Kurtis Rourke from the transfer portal, and signed James Madison decommit Alberto Mendoza and Duke decommit Tyler Cherry (Center Grove High, four-star). Cherry is IU’s first four-star quarterback signee since Donaven McCulley in the class of 2021.

He’s got a body of work, and that’s what I look for in the portal. I look for guys that have a body of work, guys that have started, played the entire season without getting injured and have production,” Cignetti said. “Multiple years of production is even better because I firmly believe this: Like there are some intangible qualities that it takes to be a starter and make it through a season. You’ve got to be able to handle adversity, success, have consistency in performance. There’s just some characteristics and traits.”

Rourke’s pedigree and experience will be an advantage. He was named MAC Offensive Player of the Year in 2022, and threw for over 7,600 yards across his four seasons at Ohio. Cignetti also noted that he led the Bobcats to 10 wins this year and nine last year.

“Right now quarterbacks are attracted to us because, when you take four different guys in five years and they’re all Player of the Year in the conference and they all have different styles, they recognize that you do a great job of developing quarterbacks,

Cignetti is extremely confident in the operation he’s running at Indiana and the winning that will follow, but he was less sure that McCulley would come back. But he called Cignetti around two hours after Rourke committed, and he said he’d come back to IU.

“That was a great day. I truly was not expecting that because the word on the street was Florida State,

Cignetti seems like a brash guy but nothing wrong with that. He's just got to back it up, which he has for most of his career. We'll see if he can improve IU.

“I’m super fired up about this opportunity. I’ve never taken a back seat to anybody and don’t plan on starting now!” Cignetti exclaimed to the raucous home crowd. “Purdue sucks! But so does Michigan and Ohio State! Go IU!”

You can definitely remake a roster with the portal if you want but how much success you have is unknown.

I've mentioned this a few times here. GJ Kinne at Texas state was only 2nd to Deion/Colorado in changing their roster and they've made a bowl (7-5) in year 1 and Texas State's first ever.

I don't know how aggressive Cignetti will be in that regard. Read a little about what he's doing. They got a qb from Ohio, the MAC player of the year last year and some other WRs. Also kept a top WR on their own roster who was in the portal and supposedly had interest from Michigan and FSU.

From the article:

But Cignetti knows what it takes, and he makes that clear to everyone he recruits.

“It’s pretty simple. I win,” Cignetti said during Wednesday’s media availability on Zoom. “Google me.”

So Cignetti got to work, and it yielded results. IU added Ohio transfer Kurtis Rourke from the transfer portal, and signed James Madison decommit Alberto Mendoza and Duke decommit Tyler Cherry (Center Grove High, four-star). Cherry is IU’s first four-star quarterback signee since Donaven McCulley in the class of 2021.

He’s got a body of work, and that’s what I look for in the portal. I look for guys that have a body of work, guys that have started, played the entire season without getting injured and have production,” Cignetti said. “Multiple years of production is even better because I firmly believe this: Like there are some intangible qualities that it takes to be a starter and make it through a season. You’ve got to be able to handle adversity, success, have consistency in performance. There’s just some characteristics and traits.”

Rourke’s pedigree and experience will be an advantage. He was named MAC Offensive Player of the Year in 2022, and threw for over 7,600 yards across his four seasons at Ohio. Cignetti also noted that he led the Bobcats to 10 wins this year and nine last year.

“Right now quarterbacks are attracted to us because, when you take four different guys in five years and they’re all Player of the Year in the conference and they all have different styles, they recognize that you do a great job of developing quarterbacks,

Cignetti is extremely confident in the operation he’s running at Indiana and the winning that will follow, but he was less sure that McCulley would come back. But he called Cignetti around two hours after Rourke committed, and he said he’d come back to IU.

“That was a great day. I truly was not expecting that because the word on the street was Florida State,

The level of competition is different for IU than Texas State or Colorado. IU has to play UCLA, Washington, Ohio State, Michigan, Northwestern, and Nebraska to name a few. Also, I wouldn't call playing Maryland or Michigan State easy too. It could be another long season for them. I don't care what anyone says, IU football is not an easy sell.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
The level of competition is different for IU than Texas State or Colorado. IU has to play UCLA, Washington, Ohio State, Michigan, Northwestern, and Nebraska to name a few. Also, I wouldn't call playing Maryland or Michigan State easy too. It could be another long season for them. I don't care what anyone says, IU football is not an easy sell.
Sure it's hard but the goals are attainable. It's not like they have to win a B10 championship. If they can win 6-7 games more often than not and 8-9 here and there that's good enough for them. They won that with Tom Allen a couple times even so it's not unthinkable. We'll see if Cignetti can live up to the brash talk or not.

Yeah but we have that same issue here in NJ. Lot of Irish here and they all root for ND.

Last year Indiana brought in 26 transfers and was ranked the 16th, 13th, and 15th best transfer class by rivals, On3, and 247. With that they net -1 wins from the year before. We'll see how it goes for them this year.

Agreed. Has he even gotten any OL/DL?

I could give two shits what QB, RB, WR or skill guys he brings in at this point. If you don’t have the OL/DL to compete the other stuff is like putting glitter on a turd. It’s the same story in the NFL…. Fuxing Jets haven’t figured it out for years and they are a pro team with pro management. (I’m a jets fan)

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
I know multiple people that live in Indiana that root for the Hoosiers in hoops and the Irish in football. That's a pretty common thing there.

From the article:

Real classy guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT