ADVERTISEMENT

Watched Souf's recruiting video again.....

WGLTAUD

Junior
Mar 28, 2006
I remember not being too impressed by this kid. I re-watched his video yesterday, and he's definitely great in traffic, and seemed really good at pushing the ball, and had great court vision to find guys all over the court.

Not everyone on the team can look to score first, and it would definitely make things interesting to let Corey and Nigel play off of the ball a little bit more, and to be honest, this team was designed by Eddie to run and shoot, and while I like Coach Pike's approach this year a lot, I think this kid would really give us the ability for the guys who flourish on the break, like Laurent, the ball in transition.

Same thing with Geo Baker. I think it will serve him well to be off the ball for a time. Souf doesn't seem like a guy who needs to shoot.

Reactions: Scangg
Ya know now that you mention it, I just watched his 6 minute video and im pretty impressed. Kid is quick as shit and gets to the rim. Seems to be a great passer too. The only video i saw of him prior to that was like a 2 minute video which was awful.

He's pretty thick too. We need ball handlers and shooters, like this kid.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw his video too a while back. Doesn't seem like anyone is expecting much from him, but he is a true PG that does push the ball and get to the rim. Looks quick and plays fast. He had a solid build so can take contact. Sees the court and is thinking about how to set people up. Nice crisp passes and moves the ball well. Outside shooting is always hard to tell on a highlight video

I remember not being too impressed by this kid. I re-watched his video yesterday, and he's definitely great in traffic, and seemed really good at pushing the ball, and had great court vision to find guys all over the court.

Not everyone on the team can look to score first, and it would definitely make things interesting to let Corey and Nigel play off of the ball a little bit more, and to be honest, this team was designed by Eddie to run and shoot, and while I like Coach Pike's approach this year a lot, I think this kid would really give us the ability for the guys who flourish on the break, like Laurent, the ball in transition.

Same thing with Geo Baker. I think it will serve him well to be off the ball for a time. Souf doesn't seem like a guy who needs to shoot.

Push the ball...pull the ball...you sill need someone to shoot it.

I hope Souf's got game. Remember, you can't spell sOuf without an "O"!

MO

His video is far more impressive than his stats, which are awful...

His video is far more impressive than his stats, which are awful...
The real horror is that the kid has no other D1 offers. I'm glad some of our resident coaches and talent evaluators feel better about him now after viewing his highlight video again.

Ya know now that you mention it, I just watched his 6 minute video and im pretty impressed. Kid is quick as shit and gets to the rim. Seems to be a great passer too. The only video i saw of him prior to that was like a 2 minute video which was awful.

He's pretty thick too. We need ball handlers and shooters, like this kid.

Can someone poet the 6 minute video?

I trust in Steve Pikiell. I think he knows better than us what the team needs to improve.
I agree with Pikiell knowing what the team needs.Wanting and getting has been the downfall of Rutgers recruiting for decades because of too many complementary type players and not enough shooters/difference makers.The next two recruiting cycles will tell how well Pikiell is making inroads in getting higher level recruits.

I agree with Pikiell knowing what the team needs.Wanting and getting has been the downfall of Rutgers recruiting for decades because of too many complementary type players and not enough shooters/difference makers.The next two recruiting cycles will tell how well Pikiell is making inroads in getting higher level recruits.
Your correct hopefully Coach Pike gets his facility upgrades because it's of vital importance for him in order to be better players. Players that are wanted by our competitors not players with no offers. Every kid that visits sees those blueprints hopefully soon there is construction. Looking at the BIG FUND this morning we are still 30 million short. IF the money is not their it will not be built. If it's not built Coach Pike I'll b looking for a new job in a couple years. As coach Stringer said "recruit to this" referring to how bad ar facility's are compared to our competition. Pike needs this upgrade to recruit. It can't be said enough if you have not given to the Fund what are you waiting for?

The real horror is that the kid has no other D1 offers. I'm glad some of our resident coaches and talent evaluators feel better about him now after viewing his highlight video again.

Here's what makes me feel good. He is a PG recruited by a Coaching Staff with 3....that's THREE, former D1 Point Guards on the Staff. I think they know a little about what they want in a PG for their system. AND........he was not a last minute grab, he was specifically targeted, recruited and watched in real games........then, the staff asked for the commitment and got it.

Last edited:
Your correct hopefully Coach Pike gets his facility upgrades because it's of vital importance for him in order to be better players. Players that are wanted by our competitors not players with no offers. Every kid that visits sees those blueprints hopefully soon there is construction. Looking at the BIG FUND this morning we are still 30 million short. IF the money is not their it will not be built. If it's not built Coach Pike I'll b looking for a new job in a couple years. As coach Stringer said "recruit to this" referring to how bad ar facility's are compared to our competition. Pike needs this upgrade to recruit. It can't be said enough if you have not given to the Fund what are you waiting for?
I don't think the 30 million shortfall will impact construction of the practice facility.There were other projects included in the B1G fund that have lower priority.

Reactions: OntheBanks
If he's here in the context of being a better challenge at practice for the starters than a walk on and playing 5 mins a game as a better option than Dadika, it's a good signing

He is a team player. I would expect him to not play that many minutes a game.

If he was a walk on, great.

Has no three point shot, and many turnovers. Pikiell is up for the challenge. He is not a starter at the moment. Sanders needs to learn point guard, as that is he chance at the next level.

Souf is physically ready for the big ten, which is a big plus. Look for hiim to wear down and go at centers when he is given his minutes.

Know when to go, know when to slow.

It would be great if we were a awesome transition team, but that takes a lot of player improvement.

Here's what makes me feel good. He is a PG recruited by a Coaching Staff with 3....that's THREE, former D1 Point Guards on the Staff. I think they know a little about what they want in a PG for their system. AND........he was not a last minute grab, he was specifically targeted, recruited and watched in real games........then, the staff asked for the commitment and got it.

I have trust in the staff's ability to evaluate PGs, but that doesn't mean what they see in a player is necessarily going to be clear to those outside their meeting rooms. Based on performance over the last two years, the staff is clearly going on Mensah's potential - they see something that isn't being cultivated by his current team/coach, that they think they can improve on.

If there's already knowledge of impending transfers and other players lined up to add to the roster this year, a project player makes much more sense. We have a desperate need for shooting talent right now, and that has to change over the next few recruiting classes if we're going to be able to compete in conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: higgins3
That's great he is quick with the ball, but both Sanders and Johnson are quicker with the ball so he doesn't bring anything more to the table. And as far as passing it, who is he passing to? Who's the guy that will benefit from an open shot as a result of a pass by him? Sorry not a fan, and I cannot see us getting more than 5 minutes a game from him.

Would prefer shooters or a big. But i think a guy like this would be huge in keeping Corey and Nigel fresh. Doing what Dadika did in a few games with better results.

Every recruit isn't designed to be a 25 minutes a night player.....if he arrives, he provides insurance for the 2018 season, moreso than 2017.....there may have been a thought that Nigel Johnson may choose to take his 5th season elsewhere after this season, but he finished up strong and he's likely to stay....or announced on twitter he's back.

We have Geo Baker as the 4th guard and Souf is #5 on that rotation for next year....but in 2018, as of today, we don't have any other guards on the roster, signed or lined up, so in 2018, he is the 3rd guard on the roster for that year with Sanders and Baker and we don't know if Sanders is a 4 year player or not.....(Sanders should be but we cannot assume anything)....it does not mean others may not be playing over Mensah or recruited to fill in for other minutes. between now and then.

Similar to Bullock, there are kids that are given a chance to compete, earn minutes and see if they can improve or earn minutes....40% of all scholarship players as freshman, wind up transferring by the end of their sophomore season....we have to way of knowing where we may be in 2018 as far as depth...

The recruiting of grad transfers, JUCO's and 2017 or 2018 freshman are far more important than worrying about Souf Mensah.......I'm actually not as concerned as others, I'm confident we'll come up with the right pieces, but also realistic and not expecting a Top 15-20 National Class in 2018 either.

Reactions: gregkoko
I'm a firm believer that you recruit offense and coach defense-----even at the PG slot.

I trust in the coaches' decision to take this kid. I think he can help out at PG. This is a long rebuilding process. Not every recruit will work out.

That's great he is quick with the ball, but both Sanders and Johnson are quicker with the ball so he doesn't bring anything more to the table. And as far as passing it, who is he passing to? Who's the guy that will benefit from an open shot as a result of a pass by him? Sorry not a fan, and I cannot see us getting more than 5 minutes a game from him.

He brings a pass first mentality. A guy that will keep the ball moving on offense. One of the best ways to improve any offense is through movement, specifically, ball movement. Keep the defense on the move and suddenly you may just see guys getting a clear path into the lane or to the basket. Sanders and Johnson dribble too much because they are not true PG's. You need someone that is focused on moving the ball around the court.

Reactions: Scangg
He brings a pass first mentality. A guy that will keep the ball moving on offense. One of the best ways to improve any offense is through movement, specifically, ball movement. Keep the defense on the move and suddenly you may just see guys getting a clear path into the lane or to the basket. Sanders and Johnson dribble too much because they are not true PG's. You need someone that is focused on moving the ball around the court.
We cannot hit open shots. Ball movement will just increase the open shots that we miss. In a couple years we will start adding guys that can shoot and we'll be fine. But unfortunately Souf won't be here when that happens since he's a JUCO.

We cannot hit open shots. Ball movement will just increase the open shots that we miss. In a couple years we will start adding guys that can shoot and we'll be fine. But unfortunately Souf won't be here when that happens since he's a JUCO.

ok seels, because there is no difference between a contested shot and uncontested shot. AND.....Rutgers did not get many open looks....most were very contested because of the lack of appropriate ball movement. Too much dribbling.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumikenike
Good passing becomes contagious. One good pass leads to another etc. watch Wisconsin over the years, one pass leads to an open look, but a second pass leads to a better open look.

Perhaps that's what coach is trying to get here.

I am not one way or the other on the player until I see him live in person and how the staff will use him. A player that commits to play for our team deserves that much.

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
I also look at this pickup as a way to improve our shooting. Take the PG responsibility away from Sanders, Nigel, and Williams. Let them play off the ball and concentrate on scoring, not passing and setting up others.

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio

I think some of you are missing the point. We don't have great shooters, so if we got more out into the break, it may help guys like Laurent and Corey become more effective offensively. Along with that, Corey can't be constantly pushing the ball for 40 minutes, he'll run out of gas as anyone would.

When you struggle in the half court, and there aren't blue chip players available to you, sometimes you need to bring in guys who are geared towards the rest of the teams strong suit, and this kid is coming in for 2 years.

I have to credit a coach who understands the make-up of his team and is able to adjust to it as opposed to a coach who needs to recruit to his system. If Pike is bringing this kid in to give Corey and Nigel a breather while also getting a guy who can push the ball in the break, I'm all for it.

This is not a guy who was brought in to be here for 4 years to build the program, JUCO guys are effectively mercenaries.

Also, without C.J. next year, I think Coach Pike is going to elect to play smaller, rather than try to force Ibrahima and Shaq to try to do things they're not capable of doing. I think they're both contributing players and have improved greatly, but neither have the post presence or passing skills that CJ had, so we may be moving in a different direction offensively.

I don't think anyone is looking at Souf as the savior of the program. The point of this post was to say that this kid can help us, and if anything is complementary to the skills of the players on the roster.

You can put 5 shooters on the floor, but guess what....without ball movement you will have a very stagnant offense with guys going one on one to get shots off. Good ball and player movement is a key component to having a good offense.

You can put 5 shooters on the floor, but guess what....without ball movement you will have a very stagnant offense with guys going one on one to get shots off. Good ball and player movement is a key component to having a good offense.

Good point; also don't forget that Baker looks like a legit shooter and my read is that he won't be ready for PG right out of the gate. If Souf can play solid D that is huge and he's clearly a guy who likes to move the ball. I'm not crazy about a PG who can't hit free throws but this description isn't too different from Brandin Knight and he turned out to have a pretty good college career...

If I made a 6 minute highlight video of my high school hoops career, I'd look pretty damn good.
Our fans fall for this literally every single time. Look I love what Pikiell is doing so far but the only true barometer of talent is who has offered or not offered for that matter.

Reactions: soundcrib
Our fans fall for this literally every single time. Look I love what Pikiell is doing so far but the only true barometer of talent is who has offered or not offered for that matter.
In Rutgers case recruiting is a little more complicated.Its not so much who has offered but rather who wants to play for Rutgers after decades of losing .Its been a uphill battle attracting and keeping top tier talent and now Pikiell and staff face the perception problems hopefully with far better results.

This is how I see it. I agree his film as a "true" PG looks good. But who is he going to pass to that's going to knock it down?

I just feel we have much bigger needs than someone who can find the open man.

I really hope this guy lights it up.

In Rutgers case recruiting is a little more complicated.Its not so much who has offered but rather who wants to play for Rutgers after decades of losing .Its been a uphill battle attracting and keeping top tier talent and now Pikiell and staff face the perception problems hopefully with far better results.
We have always gotten some talent but often waste it with poor coaching and or poor player development. I fully understand we are not the most desirable program but we are still a P5 team and should be at least able to bring in recruits with offers from somewhere. Make no mistake this was a signing out of desperation because we looks at a very real possibility of losing Johnson, Williams, and Sanders after this upcoming season so we needed a body. I get Pikiells thinking and dont expect this to be anything more.

Yes and no. A good fit for your system/complement to the roster is often so much more important. Corey Chandler / Rosario could have been amazing...but wasn't. Waliyy Dixon? Josh Moore?

Geoff Billett - mid-level recruit, RU legend
Todd Billet - Top40 - xfer
Lamizana - Yes!
Echinique - #2 center - xfer
Dahntay Jones - top 80 recruit, xfer

Meanwhile, Jeff Greer Rashod Kent & Douby, had very little interest, immediately started and had very productive careers.

We need to get back to the level of .500 in conference - then the top 50's will come and it's basically cross your fingers time that the team culture and upperclassmen are stronger than the personality by that point. That's why I'm not crazy about building w/JUCO & grad transfers because they can only make so much impact unless they are Steve Worthy or Jerome Coleman caliber scorers and their role from day 1 is just to score.

Yes and no. A good fit for your system/complement to the roster is often so much more important. Corey Chandler / Rosario could have been amazing...but wasn't. Waliyy Dixon? Josh Moore?

Geoff Billett - mid-level recruit, RU legend
Todd Billet - Top40 - xfer
Lamizana - Yes!
Echinique - #2 center - xfer
Dahntay Jones - top 80 recruit, xfer

Meanwhile, Jeff Greer Rashod Kent & Douby, had very little interest, immediately started and had very productive careers.

We need to get back to the level of .500 in conference - then the top 50's will come and it's basically cross your fingers time that the team culture and upperclassmen are stronger than the personality by that point. That's why I'm not crazy about building w/JUCO & grad transfers because they can only make so much impact unless they are Steve Worthy or Jerome Coleman caliber scorers and their role from day 1 is just to score.
Douby was not a recruit of very little interest. Him and Webb were very highly rated recruits that year with multiple offers. We are not going to win much with only complimentary players. That model is only sustainable for mid-major conferences.

I don't know if this was posted already but everyone was posting his JUCO stats as a freshman but this year he averaged 11.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game while shooting 47.9 percent from the field..not bad at all

This signing just became a lot more significant obviously with Nigel transferring. Gives Rutgers their first true pass first PG in quite some time. I'm optimistic

Reactions: SirScarlet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT