ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt play: Lateral or forward pass?

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Has anybody watched a replay of when Gavin appeared to go over the LOS and threw the ball overhand and slightly behind him for a completion and a decent gain?

Was wondering if he was over or behind the LOS but also wondering if that was a designed play or improvised by GW. It looked strange but I kinda liked it and the way it worked out for us.

Has anybody watched a replay of when Gavin appeared to go over the LOS and threw the ball overhand and slightly behind him for a completion and a decent gain?

Was wondering if he was over or behind the LOS but also wondering if that was a designed play or improvised by GW. It looked strange but I kinda liked it and the way it worked out for us.
Was a lateral and a poor choice. Should have eaten it and gained 8.

If I were a coach, I'd tell my players to *never* improvise a lateral for fear that the lateral will be dropped and the other team recover the ball. A designed lateral is different because the player catching the ball knows it's coming.

Agree he should have kept it. But it didn’t look like he was not beyond line of scrimmage.

question: say a qb (or any skill position player) is 10 yards past the LOS and laterals forward to avoid a hard tackle, or even a mindless dumb play, and the other team falls on the ball.

Penalty from the spot of the foul but not a turnover ? Offense keeps possession ?

question: say a qb (or any skill position player) is 10 yards past the LOS and laterals forward to avoid a hard tackle, or even a mindless dumb play, and the other team falls on the ball.

Penalty from the spot of the foul but not a turnover ? Offense keeps possession ?
Uninformed answer: it's a turnover with the defensive team declining the penalty.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Still wondering if it could’ve been a designed play, where he runs toward the LOS and at the last minute he throws it to a receiver in the flat. The reason I’m wondering that is because (Langan?) was in a good position to receive the ball and looked like he was ready for it.

Still wondering if it could’ve been a designed play, where he runs toward the LOS and at the last minute he throws it to a receiver in the flat. The reason I’m wondering that is because (Langan?) was in a good position to receive the ball and looked like he was ready for it.
I thought it was designed option since it seemed Langan was ready for it.

Reactions: BillyC80
I thought it was designed option since it seemed Langan was ready for it.
Thank you. The only reason it looked risky is because it appeared to be a lateral, and he got very close and possibly went beyond the LOS. Otherwise it’s a play that should work again, if executed properly (whether he keeps it or throws it).

Plus now the defense might bite on a pump fake before he tucks and runs (studying game film on him will show that he could throw from that position).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT